New Topic Respond to this Topic
Obvious-M
Obvious-M
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 17th, 2010 @ 06:04 PM Reply

127 Hours Trailer directed by Danny Boyle.

It looks genuinely amazing, and because it was based on a true story, I looked into that a bit more and found the potential this film has.

Anyone else excited for this one?

Gamertag- MarshallxDav | Steam ID- Eshneh | LastFM- MarshallNPK

BBS Signature
Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 17th, 2010 @ 06:31 PM Reply

At 10/17/10 03:45 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: Box office numbers don't prove a film's quality, which is subjective. The numbers just prove what people are spending their money on. However, critics and users on RT and users on IMDb are liking the film, overall.

My best friend loves Jackass. He has a tattoo of the skull/crutches thing, and him and some other people are having a Jackass 1 and 2 night before the film comes out.
Personally I don't understand the appeal. It's kinda funny but incredibly juvenile. I've grown out of it.

Best films I've seen recently are The Pianist and The Singer (French film with Gérard Depardieu).
Lovefilm coming to PS3 is great for me too. Can steam films in bed at night :).

Metal Hell ## Guitarists ## Stand Up Comedy
PSN: Look-a-Hill
Somewhere Over the Rainbow

BBS Signature
EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 17th, 2010 @ 11:55 PM Reply

I saw Nowhere Boy, a biopic about John Lennon as a teenager. The performances are all stellar and since I didn't know much about Lennon's life at that point, I didn't predict anything. There are still moments that are a bit cliched and seemingly unnatural, but the film is definitely convincing and full of heart. It hardly felt like an hour and a half when the film was over.

This Wednesday, I'm attending another live recording of George Stroumboulopoulos Tonight and I have the pleasure of seeing Clint Eastwood for the interview. I like George's style for interviews since they're unscripted and he understands how celebrities are always traveling and away from home. Therefore, he tries to make them relax and enjoy themselves. It seems to work because he's gotten positive feedback from at least a few interviewees.

At 10/17/10 06:31 PM, Nev wrote: My best friend loves Jackass. He has a tattoo of the skull/crutches thing, and him and some other people are having a Jackass 1 and 2 night before the film comes out.
Personally I don't understand the appeal. It's kinda funny but incredibly juvenile. I've grown out of it.

I think the appeal is to laugh with or at people doing stupid things. Although I've only seen the first film, I seem to recall the people getting hurt are strangely OK with it, so it's not like their pain is really serious, they have to go to the hospital, etc. I don't remember what I thought of the film. When I was working in a movie theatre, I remember watching the second sequel's end credits with extra footage a few times and some of it was actually funny, like the guy who happens to step in a covered hole in the ground after I think a day's work and then he happens to step in it again.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 20th, 2010 @ 06:48 PM Reply

I saw Jackass 3D. lol. I want to shoot someone in the face with a dildo gun now. And I watched a Guide to Recognizing your saints, which was pretty good. I watched Zebraman last night, which was very entertaining and funny.

At 10/16/10 04:40 PM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote: I watched Akira this afternoon.

one of the best movies ever

At 10/16/10 07:26 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: I recently saw The Secret of Kells

I saw the cover before and didn't bother to look into it. I'm adding it to my queue.

At 10/16/10 11:36 PM, Ptero wrote: Anyway, I just saw Taxi Driver yesterday. I really enjoyed it, even if it was slow at parts.

It is a bit slow, but still very good.

At 10/17/10 03:37 AM, EclecticEnnui wrote: Oh, I saw District 13: Ultimatum. It's kind of like its prequel. The absurd action scenes are thrilling and darkly funny, once again.

eh, Distrcit B13 was alright, but this one, I didn't like much.

At 10/17/10 06:40 AM, Auz wrote: I saw Sympathy for Mr Vengeance last night.

good movie. I have that and Oldboy, but I still don't have Lady Vengeance. They're all good movies.

At 10/17/10 11:40 AM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote: Ninja Scroll
Vampire Hunter D
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust

triple awesome

At 10/17/10 03:12 PM, Makeshift wrote: Jackass 3D made $50 million... is it really that good?

It made me laugh a lot. It also made me go "awww what the fuck" a lot.

At 10/17/10 06:04 PM, Obvious-M wrote: 127 Hours Trailer directed by Danny Boyle.

I saw the trailer for this when I went to see Jackass 3D. Since it's Danny Boyle, I'm definitely interested.

At 10/17/10 06:31 PM, Nev wrote: Best films I've seen recently are The Pianist and The Singer (French film with Gérard Depardieu).
Lovefilm coming to PS3 is great for me too. Can steam films in bed at night :).

I thought the Pianist was great.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Gobblemeister
Gobblemeister
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 11
Musician
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 20th, 2010 @ 07:06 PM Reply

So I watched A Simple Man recently and I thought it was one of the best written films I've seen in a while. Seeing as the film is basically a series of dialogs the fact that each one stands out is really something. Plus I really liked the way the colors become saturated and bright whenever Firth's character is happy or reminiscent. It never feels like the movie spelling anything out for you, but it accentuates the mood.

EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 20th, 2010 @ 08:18 PM Reply

At 10/17/10 11:55 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: This Wednesday, I'm attending another live recording of George Stroumboulopoulos Tonight and I have the pleasure of seeing Clint Eastwood for the interview.

Unfortunately, his interview was already recorded I think in NYC. Instead, there were mostly different recordings done for Halloween (when it was mentioned John Waters will be on), Christmas, and this Friday. It wasn't anything special, but it was alright.

BBS Signature
Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 20th, 2010 @ 09:17 PM Reply

At 10/20/10 06:48 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I thought the Pianist was great.

Of all the WWII films this was the most shocking in my opinion. Though Most Depressing goes to Sophie Scholl for not having a "happy"* ending.
But after The Pianist I just wished we could have time machines to go back and stop the horrible stuff the Nazi's did. Every WWII film makes me feel like that, but this took it to a new level.

BBS Signature
orangebomb
orangebomb
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 20th, 2010 @ 11:48 PM Reply

I have seen Jackass 3D last night, and I thought it was pretty funny, albeit generally immature. A lot of my friends have already seen it more than once, and say it was the funniest Jackass ever, even though personally, I would lean towards the first Jackass as more funnier overall than the 3D one.

Oh, and I would like to join in.

My 3 favorite movies as of right now:
Ninja Scroll
Roadhouse
Pelham 123

I'm also looking forward to the Back to the Future trilogy box set, although I have only seen the first one, I'm dying to see the other 2 movies.

Just stop worrying, and love the bomb.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 21st, 2010 @ 10:57 PM Reply

I watched Pusher 2: With Blood on My Hands. It's pretty depressing, like the first one. Actually, I found it more depressing.

At 10/20/10 11:48 PM, orangebomb wrote: albeit generally immature.

naaaawwwwww

At 10/20/10 09:17 PM, Nev wrote: Of all the WWII films this was the most shocking in my opinion.

Have you seen Schindler's List? cuz holy shit.

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 22nd, 2010 @ 06:54 PM Reply

At 10/21/10 10:57 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Have you seen Schindler's List? cuz holy shit.

I have, but I can't remember as much horrendous stuff in it. Theirs Voldemort shooting Jews and naked Jewish women in queues. Besides that I can't remember much. And I feel like the black and white made it seem much worse than it was.
But then again it's like 5 hours long so I imagine theres a lot of stuff that I've forgotten, whereas The Pianist is fresh in my memory.

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 23rd, 2010 @ 05:43 PM Reply

I just watched Kiki's Delivery Service, another film by Hayao Miyazaki.

This film was probably the least imaginative Miyazaki film I've seen yet (and I've nearly seen them all by now). Apart from a talking cat and a witch flying on a broomstick, there is really nothing involving strange creatures, demons/gods and that sort of thing. Instead, 'relatively' normal things happen as the witch Kiki and her black cat try to set up a delivery service in a town near the ocean to make a living.

Once again I thought it was very enjoyable from beginning to end. You could say it's a 'feel good' animation film because nothing too bad happens and almost all the characters are very friendly towards the main character and try to help her out.

If you like any of the other Miyazaki films I'm sure you won't be disappointed with this one either.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 9 June 2014)

BBS Signature
Ptero
Ptero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 23rd, 2010 @ 10:48 PM Reply

I saw RED today. I was pleasantly surprised. Bruce Willis can be pretty funny if he has the right script and John Malkovich was just plain awesome. I'm glad they didn't make "old people" jokes or anything like that. [SPOILER] Morgan Freeman hardly got any screentime before he died. :( [/SPOILER]Helen Mirren was hotter than Mary-Louise Parker. I'm bad at reviews, but I'd definitely recommend this movie.

EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 26th, 2010 @ 03:54 PM Reply

At 10/20/10 06:48 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 10/16/10 07:26 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: I recently saw The Secret of Kells
I saw the cover before and didn't bother to look into it. I'm adding it to my queue.

Cool.

I saw David Lynch's new short film Lady Blue Shanghai, starring Marion Cotillard, who's ironically in Inception. Lynch's film is lovely. You can watch it here. I also wrote a review on it.

Cinema Club

BBS Signature
Jercurpac
Jercurpac
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Melancholy
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 26th, 2010 @ 09:47 PM Reply

I watched Bicycle Thieves tonight, an Italian film from the 40s. I'm not always in agreement whether certain classic films hold up well, but this one still is surprisingly good. Probably because the Neorealism is so much more relatable to modern cinema than a lot of the other styles of the time. It's also incredibly depressing because it does a great job of making you care about the main character and his son (probably one of the most endearing children you'll ever see in a film) while doing an equally good job of crushing the hope out of their lives.

A great watch if you don't mind older films or subtitles. In fact, the simplicity of the film and its theme means you could probably get the same effect without the subtitles to help you know what the characters are saying

Happy with what you have to be happy with
you have to be happy with what you have
to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature
Blaze-Heatnix
Blaze-Heatnix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 26th, 2010 @ 10:06 PM Reply

At 10/23/10 05:43 PM, Auz wrote: If you like any of the other Miyazaki films I'm sure you won't be disappointed with this one either.

I didn't like Kiki as much as I did the others. It just didn't much of that charm you get from films like Castle in the Sky or Spirited Away. I've also seen Howl's Moving Castle, which I thought was also pretty good.

Trivia note: Castle in the Sky was a direct inspiration for Angel Island in Sonic 3&K. See here.

Also, Miyazaki films have the absolute best dubs I've ever seen in any anime ever. They're done by Disney, people who have lots of experience in voice talent.

Decky
Decky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 27th, 2010 @ 05:39 AM Reply

I recently treated myself to a copy of Stanley Kubrick's classic Full Metal Jacket. I've seen it before but never owned it on DVD and in my opinion it is a great film and a worthy addition to my collection.

The only thing that puts me of about this film is it seems to me like it sould be two films. I'm sure quite a few of you guys would have seen it. The first half of the film, set in the boot camp, should be a seperate film, I find. It just has a completely different feel to it then the second half. The first time I saw it I thought that they switched directors half way through.

I still think that its the second best war movie ever made (Saving Private Ryan being first).

Cinema Club

I said no to drugs but they just wouldn't listen.
Like Page///Art Thread///Latest Art Piece

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 27th, 2010 @ 03:36 PM Reply

Oh god... "The Dark Knight Rises"... seriously?

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 27th, 2010 @ 06:51 PM Reply

I saw the Book of Eli, which was pretty cool, and Timecrimes, which wasn't bad.

At 10/24/10 02:07 AM, korg53 wrote: I'm doing a Halloween marathon for my friends, but I find hard to find some old good movies. The best I could get until now was "Jacob's ladder"

I love Jacob's Ladder. I still haven't seen the Cabinet of Dr Caligari or Metropolis. My mom recommended that I see those, Dial M For Murder, and M.

So far, I plan on renting Daybreakers, Trick 'r Treat, Inside and Bad Taste. I have on my hard drive, the Grapes of Death, Don't go in the House, and Dagon. And on my DVR, I have the Vanishing and the Changeling. maybe some movies on Netflix's instant watch like Tokyo Zombie or Severance or Session 9 or the Orphanage. I might watch a couple Masters of Horror episodes, too. I probably won't watch all of this, but I've got myself a selection, anyway.

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 27th, 2010 @ 06:57 PM Reply

Finally got around to seeing 1973's Enter the Dragon with Bruce Lee.

Only one word can truly describe this masterpiece: Badass.

Comments or questions?

Cinema Club

Sig by FB - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, & Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo.com & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
Ptero
Ptero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 27th, 2010 @ 07:35 PM Reply

At 10/27/10 03:36 PM, Makeshift wrote: Oh god... "The Dark Knight Rises"... seriously?

what the fuck.

That is so stupid. There were so many better titles he could have chosen.

Also, there won't be the Riddler.

Blaze-Heatnix
Blaze-Heatnix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 27th, 2010 @ 08:01 PM Reply

At 10/27/10 07:35 PM, Ptero wrote: That is so stupid. There were so many better titles he could have chosen.

Well there really wasn't much of a title choice left after Begins. Dark Knight came up which was a good name, but there really isn't much left besides Batman 3: The Conclusion. "Rises" sounds terrible, but it's probably because they can't call it "Returns", "Strikes Again" or "Rides Again". Actually "Rides Again" would have been hilarious, but even more of a disgrace now that I think about it.

Also, there won't be the Riddler.

Wait, what? Didn't the movie poster SHOW the damn Riddler? Was it just scrapped out of nowhere? I guess they could throw in Catwoman and The Penguin ala Batman Returns. Or better yet, give Scarecrow a returning role.

EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 27th, 2010 @ 08:15 PM Reply

At 10/27/10 03:36 PM, Makeshift wrote: Oh god... "The Dark Knight Rises"... seriously?

That's not a bad title, although there could've been more creativity to it. Also, it might not be permanent because it's still early and titles can change.

At 10/27/10 06:51 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I love Jacob's Ladder. I still haven't seen the Cabinet of Dr Caligari or Metropolis.

You might as well wait for the new restored version of Metropolis to come out on DVD and Blu-ray next month. I'm waiting for it.

BBS Signature
Nev
Nev
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 27th, 2010 @ 08:17 PM Reply

The Dark Knight Rises is a bit of a long title. But really its fine.
I believe people just want to jump on the Dark Knight's success and bitch and moan.

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 27th, 2010 @ 08:22 PM Reply

I think even Batman Rises would be better than The Dark Knight Rises.

Uh, I started watching Pulp Fiction, but fell asleep before getting very far into it. So far the movie is awesome and I can't wait to watch the rest, but I'm so into Dexter right now... goddamn TV shows. Where is the TV Program Club? :(

EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 27th, 2010 @ 08:22 PM Reply

At 10/27/10 08:01 PM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote: Actually "Rides Again" would have been hilarious, but even more of a disgrace now that I think about it.

The Dark Knight 2: Electric Boogaloo.

BBS Signature
Ptero
Ptero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 27th, 2010 @ 08:43 PM Reply

At 10/27/10 08:01 PM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote: Well there really wasn't much of a title choice left after Begins. Dark Knight came up which was a good name, but there really isn't much left besides Batman 3: The Conclusion. "Rises" sounds terrible, but it's probably because they can't call it "Returns", "Strikes Again" or "Rides Again". Actually "Rides Again" would have been hilarious, but even more of a disgrace now that I think about it.

Batman Fucks a Midget would have been a better title.

All jokes aside, I saw some pretty good fan-made titles.

Wait, what? Didn't the movie poster SHOW the damn Riddler? Was it just scrapped out of nowhere? I guess they could throw in Catwoman and The Penguin ala Batman Returns. Or better yet, give Scarecrow a returning role.

There hasn't been a poster yet. There was a rumor that JGL was going to play the Riddler. I guess it would've been too similar to the Joker.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 27th, 2010 @ 08:54 PM Reply

I could see Levitt as the Riddler. Well, I dobut the Penguin would be in it, and I hope not, too. That doesn't sound good. I had heard Nolan eliminated a lot of possibilities early on including Penguin, Killer Croc, Mad Hatter, and Poison Ivy. Maybe I heard wrong.

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Ptero
Ptero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 27th, 2010 @ 08:59 PM Reply

At 10/27/10 08:54 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I could see Levitt as the Riddler. Well, I dobut the Penguin would be in it, and I hope not, too. That doesn't sound good. I had heard Nolan eliminated a lot of possibilities early on including Penguin, Killer Croc, Mad Hatter, and Poison Ivy. Maybe I heard wrong.

I've only heard about him eliminating Ivy, Mr. Freeze and Robin, but I'm not sure/

Tom Hardy is confirmed as a villain for the movie. That means we get a bulky character. Most people have been thinking it's Killer Croc or Bane.

Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 28th, 2010 @ 08:31 AM Reply

All I've heard from the the third Batman film was that the Riddler would be in it and that there were rumors that David Tennant might play him (although there was a fake poster going around with that) and that Jim Carrey might play him (again). But I haven't been keeping myself up to date with the rumors regarding the film so I have no idea what has been confirmed and proven false.

I'd say that Joseph Gordon Levitt is a very likely candidate for The Riddler. The Dark Knight Rises sounds alright in my opinion.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 9 June 2014)

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 28th, 2010 @ 11:19 AM Reply

At 10/27/10 08:59 PM, Ptero wrote: Tom Hardy is confirmed as a villain for the movie. That means we get a bulky character.

confirmed? I only heard the rumor that he, Joeseph Gordon Levitt, and Leonardo DiCaprio were all being considered to play the Riddler. And why would he necessarily play a "bulky" character?

Most people have been thinking it's Killer Croc or Bane.

It definitely won't be Killer Croc or anything overly sci fi/supernatural like that. We know Nolan's direction for Batman from seeing the last two movies.

At 10/28/10 08:31 AM, Auz wrote: All I've heard from the the third Batman film was that the Riddler would be in it and that there were rumors that David Tennant might play him

old rumor. I remember hearing another old rumor that Paul Bettany was going to replace Heath Ledger as the Joker, then I heard Bettany would be playing the Riddler.

The news that the Riddler won't even be in it was kind of a surprise to me. I have a feeling about Cat Woman, but I dunno if that would be very cool. Has anyone considered that maybe Ra's al Ghul comes back?

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature