Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
Star Wars
The Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi
Back to the Future 1-3
Jason and the Argonauts
7th Voyage of Sinbad

<3 <3 <3 <3

At 5/28/08 07:15 PM, Gendo wrote: Do so immediately, it's a total masterpiece.

How different is it from the other View Askew movies?

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club May. 28th, 2008 @ 08:59 PM Reply

At 5/28/08 07:29 PM, smc316 wrote: It pretty much goes; "Bad guys summon skeletons, Skeletons, skeletons, skeletons, friends die, skeletons, skeletons, /END."

Haha, yeah, but it's just a Harryhausen film, so it's more about the awesome stop motion than it is about the plot.

Also, if you're a massive Harryhausen dork like me, you can get a stiffy over the fact the skeleton's shields have monsters from his past films on them.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
Gendo
Gendo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club May. 28th, 2008 @ 10:24 PM Reply

At 5/28/08 07:57 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: How different is it from the other View Askew movies?

Less dick jokes, more drama. Style of writing is still typical Smith, Silent Bob gets a scene-stealing appearance.

Kuro
Kuro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club May. 29th, 2008 @ 12:44 AM Reply

At 5/28/08 07:15 PM, Gendo wrote:
At 5/28/08 05:54 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Superbad (2007)
Very entertaining flick, in dire need of joining my DVD collection.

I found Superbad to be distinctly average.

Michael Cera was good in it, but Jonah Hill was totally annoying.

Seriously, he's a bad actor.

All he did in that movie was shout.

There was a big problem that the movie was pretty unfunny, and I didn't care about the characters as well.

Kuro - Puting the 'Kur' back in 'inkurable disease.'

BBS Signature
Life-Stream
Life-Stream
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club May. 29th, 2008 @ 04:09 AM Reply

At 5/28/08 06:03 PM, NEVR wrote: That just made me remember... Keanu Reeves got married to Alan Cumming. Movie-related trivia for y'all there (anyone who didn't already know anyway).

WTF!? Keanu Reeves is gay!? Woah.....news to me o_O

At 5/28/08 10:24 PM, Gendo wrote: Less dick jokes, more drama. Style of writing is still typical Smith, Silent Bob gets a scene-stealing appearance.

Silent Bob is the man. He manages to be funny without speaking throughout a whole movie.

Loved the scene in Jay and Silent Bob strike back when they go to Ben Afflecks house, dunno if you remember....

Anyway, as we were speaking of the Ghibli Studio movies the first couple of pages, i thought i´d post a pic of all my Ghibli movies. I´ll probably watch one later....

Some of the titles are in Spanish because i brought them here, but they have English on them, luckily...

Cinema Club

archex
archex
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club May. 29th, 2008 @ 10:17 AM Reply

Best movie theme tune?
God there's too many!

BBS Signature
Fro
Fro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 38
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club May. 29th, 2008 @ 10:55 AM Reply

Well my favorite movie is Boondock Saints. I loved the humor throughout the movie. The sad thing is that it was stolen from me at college and I even knew who the kid was, but he just wouldn't give it back. He took it back home and just wouldn't bring it back so I stole a couple of his playstation games.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club May. 29th, 2008 @ 12:53 PM Reply

recently watched:

Wong Fei Hung II: Naam Yi Dong Ji Keung (Once Upon a Time in China 2) (1992)

It was kickass like the first one. Jet Li is the man! And as a bonus, it had David Chiang and Donnie Yen in it. I didn't recognize Chiang, though. I know who he played now after looking it up. This is the first time I've seen him in anything more recent than the 70's, so I guess that's why I didn't recognize him. I remember him looking like an Asian Barack Obama.

At 5/29/08 10:55 AM, Corky52 wrote: Well my favorite movie is Boondock Saints.

That's one of my favorites as well.

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
sirbobsalot2
sirbobsalot2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club May. 29th, 2008 @ 02:08 PM Reply

Sounds like a good idea, I quite liked:

Iron Man (Funny with a silly superhero plot and some nicely done action scenes)
The Matrix, all of them were good though I'm not sure if I prefer the first OR second.
Hellboy was quite good as well and the sequel looks like it will be very good

Those are the only ones that come to mind at the moment.

(Back from the dead!)
Thanks to TheWolfe for letting me steal his sig.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club May. 29th, 2008 @ 02:11 PM Reply

At 5/29/08 12:53 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 5/29/08 10:55 AM, Corky52 wrote: Well my favorite movie is Boondock Saints.
That's one of my favorites as well.

"Troy Duffy, posted a video on his YouTube account on March 17th, 2008 (in possible accordance with the holiday St. Patrick's Day) which detailed that the sequel has been given a green light by Sony and is set to have the entire cast return with the exception of Willem Dafoe. This film will begin shooting summer of 2008 according to Duffy.[27] The clip was taken down from YouTube shortly after it was uploaded, but remains on other accounts."

BBS Signature
Life-Stream
Life-Stream
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club May. 30th, 2008 @ 04:04 AM Reply

At 5/29/08 10:17 AM, archex wrote: Best movie theme tune?
God there's too many!

Lets just keep it to movies ;)

At 5/29/08 10:55 AM, Corky52 wrote: Well my favorite movie is Boondock Saints. I loved the humor throughout the movie.

I haven´t seen this movie, but from what people are saying it seems to be a good one, so i´ll keep an eye out for it.

The sad thing is that it was stolen from me at college and I even knew who the kid was, but he just wouldn't give it back. He took it back home and just wouldn't bring it back so I stole a couple of his playstation games.

>:( Kick his head in! I´ve probably lost about 15-20 DVDs by lending them out to people.

At 5/29/08 02:08 PM, sirbobsalot2 wrote: Iron Man (Funny with a silly superhero plot and some nicely done action scenes)
The Matrix, all of them were good though I'm not sure if I prefer the first OR second.
Hellboy was quite good as well and the sequel looks like it will be very good

So you like the comicbook/action genre then?

Those are the only ones that come to mind at the moment.

You can´t think of any other movie? I think alot of the best movies aren´t major mainstream productions.

TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club May. 30th, 2008 @ 08:41 AM Reply

I've taken a break from Buffy and Angel to start watching films again.

Watched Michael Collins last night, which I saw on TV a couple of years ago. It's an ace film, showing the life of Michael Collins from Easter Rising until his death in 1922. It's quite liberal with historical accuracy, but you've got to be in a film for dramatic effect, and so people who aren't knowledgeable on the subject can still enjoy it.

The only thing I don't like about it is they way they portray Eamon de Valera. He's so one dimensional. He doesn't seem to have any political ambitions or beliefs of his own. Every decision he makes seems to be based more on winding up Mick Collins than anything else.

Still, he hasn't got that much screen time, and even when he is there he's tolerable. It's worth a watch.

BBS Signature
NEVR
NEVR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club May. 30th, 2008 @ 08:58 AM Reply

I went out and bought Eastern Promises today, and after watching it, I'd have to say it's a film that I'll definitely be watching more than once. The ending was a bit disappointing... but that seems to be something of a trend in films these days - just leaving things hanging a little.

Overall I'd give it a 7.5/10 - definitely worth watching more than once, but not so good that you can see it countless times without getting bored of it.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club May. 30th, 2008 @ 11:49 PM Reply

At 5/30/08 08:41 AM, TheMaster wrote: Watched Michael Collins last night, which I saw on TV a couple of years ago. It's an ace film,

Yeah, I thought it was really good.

At 5/30/08 08:58 AM, NEVR wrote: I went out and bought Eastern Promises today

Cronenberg has definitely done better, but I thought it was still quite good.

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Life-Stream
Life-Stream
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club May. 31st, 2008 @ 04:05 AM Reply

So i watched IJ: The last crusade yesterday. It was pretty good, even though a little over the top like the others, but i liked the whole holy grail idea. So for me now the best Indiana Jones is either the temple of doom or the last crusade...i´m between those two.

Sean Connery did make the movie a bit more funny....i loled when they´re both tied up together and they´re talking about the German girl that they both shagged, and Henry Jones say´s ´Well, i´m as human as the next guy´, and Indy replies ´I WAS THE NEXT GUY´. lol.

Anyway....moving on from IJ, has anyone seen the movie ´Being John Malkovich´? When i watched it i found it really wierd, but i enjoyed every minute of it, but i lent it to my friend and he didn´t like it at all :(

Life-Stream
Life-Stream
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club Jun. 1st, 2008 @ 03:40 PM Reply

So i rented out yesterday; A night at the museum and Tales from EarthSea.

I hadn´t seen A night at the museum yet, and i remember the trailer looked pretty funny, and i always like Ben Stiller movies, so i rented it out, and it was a fun little movie. It had some funny bits, and though it was a bit predictable, i still enjoyed it. Fun for all the family :3

Tales from EarthSea is the latest Ghibli Studio movie, which i wanted to see aswell. I was expecting a really great movie, with loads of dragons and stuff, because i had only seen the front cover, no trailers or anything so i didn´t know what it was about.

It barely had any dragons, and i felt it was a bit slower than most of the Ghibli studio productions. None the less, it was a great movie, with all the quality and attention to detail as usual.

Cinema Club

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Jun. 1st, 2008 @ 05:22 PM Reply

recently watched:

Before the Devil Knows You're Dead (2007)

It was really good and as a bonus, you get to see Marisa Tomei's tits twice. :D

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Kuro
Kuro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Jun. 1st, 2008 @ 06:31 PM Reply

At 6/1/08 03:40 PM, Life-Stream wrote: Tales from EarthSea is the latest Ghibli Studio movie, which i wanted to see aswell. I was expecting a really great movie, with loads of dragons and stuff, because i had only seen the front cover, no trailers or anything so i didn´t know what it was about.

It barely had any dragons, and i felt it was a bit slower than most of the Ghibli studio productions. None the less, it was a great movie, with all the quality and attention to detail as usual.

I really have no desire to see Tales from Earthsea.

I have no reason to believe directorial talent is hereditary.

Also, the film is supposed to be all over the place, and even won the worst film of the year award in Japan.

I'm sure you could say "watch it and see for yourself", but I've got other films that are supposed to be good I could watch instead.

BBS Signature
Life-Stream
Life-Stream
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club Jun. 2nd, 2008 @ 04:34 PM Reply

At 6/1/08 06:31 PM, Kuro wrote: I really have no desire to see Tales from Earthsea.
I have no reason to believe directorial talent is hereditary.

I hadn´t heard or seen anything of it before i watched it. I watched it solely on the idea that it would be another Ghibli masterpiece.

Also, the film is supposed to be all over the place, and even won the worst film of the year award in Japan.

Wow, it won worst film of the year? Ok, so it wasn´t on par with their other productions, and there was little to no background of the world, and the characters weren´t as moving as others, but i wouldn´t say it was the worst movie of the year o_o

Kuro
Kuro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Jun. 2nd, 2008 @ 04:46 PM Reply

At 6/2/08 04:34 PM, Life-Stream wrote: I hadn´t heard or seen anything of it before i watched it. I watched it solely on the idea that it would be another Ghibli masterpiece.

The Cat Returns made me lose faith in non-Miyazaki Ghibli films..

However, Whisper of the Heart was one of the best of the Ghibli films, so I just don't know what to believe.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Jun. 2nd, 2008 @ 04:49 PM Reply

Someone should make a TV club. I prefer series to films since there's so much more room for character development in twenty 45 minute episodes than there is in a 2 hour film.

BBS Signature
Life-Stream
Life-Stream
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club Jun. 3rd, 2008 @ 01:39 AM Reply

At 6/2/08 04:49 PM, TheMaster wrote: Someone should make a TV club. I prefer series to films since there's so much more room for character development in twenty 45 minute episodes than there is in a 2 hour film.

I agree, series let you develop everything more (story line, background, setting), but some movies can still pull it off.

PenisClown
PenisClown
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Jun. 8th, 2008 @ 06:46 AM Reply

Recently watched:

A Clockwork Orange

Brilliant in every way, this movie has changed my life. My absolute favourite, it's captured me completely. I much prefer the first half, those classic scenes and lines. The Nadsat is brilliant, it makes the movie. Kubrick did a great job with the camera too. The opening is my favourite scene, but the rest does not dissapoint. The slow motion scene where Alex attacks Dim and George is also among my favourites, aswell as the rape scene and the fast motion sex scene. Gody, godly, godly work. Unbeatable. <3. 10/10

Donnie Darko (Rewatch)

Still a never-fading masterpiece. This was the original version, which I prefer for it's puzzling storyline. The director's cut explains everything too well. Also noticed that .Seth Rogen makes an appearance as one of the bullies, something I didn't notice before. 9/10

Ancorman: The Legend of John Burgundy (Rewatch)

Here's the lowdown: Storyline = BLEH. Will Ferrel's acting = shit. Steve Carrel's acting = hilarious as always. Script = Gold. Ferrel's one-liners work wonders, and the supporting cast does an alright job. This is more cult comedy than commercial. 5/10

Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children (Rewatch)

This blew me away, I really got into the story. 8/10.

2001: A Space Oddysey

Determined to get into Kubrick, I rented this movie. Unfortunately I was unable to retain consciousness throughout it. It was that boring.

I have a feeling I will really appreciate it next time I watch it.

The Number 23

Great stuff, with a really great story, with a really good twist at the end. Jim Carey doesn't do what he does best, but he still does it well. 8/10

At 5/28/08 06:08 PM, TheMaster wrote:
At 5/28/08 05:41 AM, PenisClown wrote: I. Don't. Like. PG's.
What are you, 12?

"I DON'T LIKE PG'S THEY'RE FOR BABIES FILMS ARE SHIT IF THEY DON'T HAVE VIOLENCE BLOOD IS AWESOME."

That is not what I meant. I just generally find movies with more adult-oriented material more my thing.

Quality films of PG or lower certificate I own:
Wayne's World

That is a great movie, no question.

Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure
Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey

Hahaha, I dunno.

Star Wars
The Empire Strikes Back
Return of the Jedi

Enjoyable, influential, but not really my thing.

Back to the Future 1-3

Meh.

There's a few more, but you get the idea.

I guess, but I didn't really get into any of those films you listed. Wayne's World is great

Metal Hell.
Pill pop a dope a well run general hash pump a gonna led.

BBS Signature
PenisClown
PenisClown
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Jun. 9th, 2008 @ 11:59 PM Reply

At 5/28/08 06:08 PM, TheMaster wrote: There's a few more, but you get the idea.

You know I couldn't help noticing that all of those movies are either famous or made before the nineties.

And what's going on with all the inactivity?

Metal Hell.

BBS Signature
Deargodimhungry
Deargodimhungry
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Jun. 10th, 2008 @ 12:30 AM Reply

OMFG. I saw 2001 Space Oddesy (i can't spell), and it is the most BORING piece of gayness ever constructed. I nearly fell asleep, i was in a state of conscious unconsciousness the whole time.

PenisClown
PenisClown
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Jun. 10th, 2008 @ 12:48 AM Reply

Although I fell asleep during it, I appreciated what I saw and I think I will learn to like it.

Metal Hell.

BBS Signature
PenisClown
PenisClown
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Jun. 10th, 2008 @ 01:19 AM Reply

I remember you saying that, but I started watching it a bit too late in the night I guess. I must watch it during the day next time.

I know this is a movie club but I recently purchased series 1 of Full Metal Alchemist, is anyone into that anime? Better yet, has anyone seen the movie?

Metal Hell.

BBS Signature
PenisClown
PenisClown
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Jun. 10th, 2008 @ 03:03 AM Reply

At 5/26/08 02:43 PM, TheMaster wrote: I have. Didn't like it when I first saw it. It's a clever film once you get it, but the first time you watch it you'll just be going "...what?" all the way through. It's not one to pick up if you just fancy watching something casually, you've got to really pay attention.

Yeah, you didn't Mendou, it was TheMaster.

Metal Hell.

BBS Signature
Deargodimhungry
Deargodimhungry
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Jun. 10th, 2008 @ 03:03 AM Reply

I haven't even heard of FMA! What is it?

jarrydn
jarrydn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Artist
Response to Cinema Club Jun. 10th, 2008 @ 08:27 AM Reply

Working at the cinema has killed every ounce of passion I ever had for films.