00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mae6NG just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Cinema Club

430,255 Views | 5,739 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Cinema Club 2020-03-06 19:34:31

At 3/6/20 07:10 PM, Jackho wrote: Bit ironic placing these two sentiments together. I'd imagine empty filler, constant cliffhangers and cockteasing without satisfying payoff is exactly how many would describe the Return, along with hollow and pointless. @Dean for eg.

It's David Lynch, if you're watching it for a traditional narrative you're going to have a bad time. Wouldn't call a single scene of The Return filler, it's the only serialised show I can think of that I've finished every episode of completely satisfied and excited for the next only because it promises to be just as good again, not to find out what happens next. There's a big difference between a show structured like that and a show that intends to tell a traditional story but only has about 5 hours of story and 12 episode to fill.

Loved how The Return ended, couldn't think of anything worse than finishing on a few episodes of boring exposition to tie it all up in a bow. Ending on that scream is as perfect as it could possibly get.

I'd still love a season 4, but only because I'd kill for another 15+ hours of Lynch content. Give me 20 episodes of the guy sweeping the roadhouse floor and Vegas field office bickering, I don't care, inject it directly into my veins.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2020-03-09 18:21:56 (edited 2020-03-09 18:23:34)

At 3/6/20 07:34 PM, Absurd-Ditties wrote: It's David Lynch, if you're watching it for a traditional narrative you're going to have a bad time.

Fwiw I don't think anything I've seen of his was lacking in narrative, but it's not just Lynch here, it's Twin Peaks. The name carries a lot of debt and expectation to live up to and while the return takes a subversive approach it doesn't fail to deliver on that end. There were a good few moments of remarkably straight forward exposition & I think the whole series is made significantly more coherent with the return added.

That said, I don't think old die hards are wrong to be put off by the structure and ending (or the lack of old characters), at least at first. Bringing back an old IP has that baggage.

excited for the next only because it promises to be just as good again, not to find out what happens next.

But also to find out what happens next, right? If not I'm a bit mystified that you got so much out of it.

There's a big difference between a show structured like that and a show that intends to tell a traditional story but only has about 5 hours of story and 12 episode to fill.

Or no story and ~10 episodes, as in the latter half of season 2. But I don't think the return is that far off conventional television (or the original run), the surreal elements usually serve to enhance the narrative rather than take away from it. It's not like it's just disconnected nonsense.

Loved how The Return ended, couldn't think of anything worse than finishing on a few episodes of boring exposition to tie it all up in a bow.

We don't need exposition to tie it up, and exposition hardly has to be boring, but isn't this functionally what we got anyway? All of the major threads come together and are sorted out in part 17, then it jumps into new territory. Something more substantial for Audrey before the leap and I'd have been good.

Response to Cinema Club 2021-02-04 17:58:29

At 1/1/21 08:41 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: It was a crappy year obviously because of COVID, lockdowns, and such. I miss going to movie theatres.

Can't believe at this point it's been 11 months since my last cinema trip. That was seeing Onward on day release and I'm well glad I did that while I had the chance given lockdown happened two weeks after. Was the only film I even saw in the cinemas last year as plans to see the Sonic film in the cinemas went out the window thanks to Covid. In hindsight I should have went sooner but at the very least I did get the blu ray months later.

Response to Cinema Club 2021-02-05 15:34:48

At 2/4/21 05:58 PM, Murray wrote: Can't believe at this point it's been 11 months since my last cinema trip.

My last cinema trip was to see The Gentlemen back in January 2020. Possibly the longest it's been since I was a kid. I miss the smell of popcorn and the cliché sticky floors. Who knows when I will return.

- P R O F E S S I O N A L - G R A P H I C - D E S I G N E R -

LATEST ART PIECE

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2023-04-05 08:41:30

Shoulda bumped this joint during the General collapse to catch a few refugees but oh well, gonna try it now instead. Anyone hitting the theatre lately?

Saw John Wick 4 the other week and it'll be hard for any other film to top it this year, hard to describe just how much better it is than its predecessors even in an already remarkably consistent series. Go see it on the biggest screen with the loudest speakers you can find.

Response to Cinema Club 2023-04-10 13:16:01

At 4/5/23 08:41 AM, Jackho wrote: Shoulda bumped this joint during the General collapse to catch a few refugees but oh well, gonna try it now instead. Anyone hitting the theatre lately?

Not the theatre, but I did recently remember my library has films I can borrow so I've been doing that. First wanted to get The Death of Stalin but someone'd borrowed it by the time I got there so I took the first thing to catch my eye which was the CG Lupin III movie from like 2019. That one mostly looked great, but in service of a pretty uninteresting story.

When I did get to see The Death of Stalin I thought it was great. Very funny on the whole, uses the real-world story it's based on well, both in terms of telling a compelling and rather bleak story and for making plenty of very specific jokes.

Got Ex Machina and In This Corner of the World after that. ITCotW was very visually compelling and fairly predictable in the sense that in being a WW2 movie set in Japan you know what's coming, but it manages to avoid ever becoming completely devoid of joy. Ex Machina was interesting. I feel like I'm not quite smart enough for it, but it's interesting. Didn't realise Oscar Isaac was in it and he looks completely wrong with that hair. Absolutely hated that scene with the razor. Good movie though.

Wanted to get Alien after that but it was in storage and I didn't know the process for getting it out of storage so got Train to Busan instead. It was good. It is basically what I expect from a zombie film, done well. There were fun beating-up-zombies bits and less fun getting-caught-by-zombies bits. Main takeaway is that that train company guy's a cunt.

Then I saw Alien. Alien rocks. I don't think I need to explain why Alien rocks.

Response to Cinema Club 2023-04-24 20:22:40

At 4/5/23 08:41 AM, Jackho wrote: Shoulda bumped this joint during the General collapse to catch a few refugees but oh well, gonna try it now instead. Anyone hitting the theatre lately?

Saw John Wick 4 the other week and it'll be hard for any other film to top it this year, hard to describe just how much better it is than its predecessors even in an already remarkably consistent series. Go see it on the biggest screen with the loudest speakers you can find.

Damn, I look forward to that. Loved the first 3. Haven't been to the theater since Free Guy, though, whenever that was.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2023-04-25 01:31:35

I recently went to MTV cartoon super mario brothers, he's cool, the coolest thing is a reference to kid icarius

I am ready to program in as3/as2 or website

Response to Cinema Club 2023-04-25 17:46:27

I recently watched Avatar the way of water in IMAX and really enjoyed it! The worldbuilding and character development was very good! I wasn't expecting much but ended up being happily surprised! (even if I did get a bit emotional at the end haha)

Before that I watched Dungeons and Dragons: honours among thieves and Puss in boots 2: the last wish and of the two I enjoyed and would highly recommend puss in boots 2, the art style and animation was stunning and the storyline was emotional and yet had its comedic moments.

Hi, I'm Demise! I make art! You can find me on Instagram, Toyhouse and DeviantArt

Commissions OPEN!

Response to Cinema Club 2023-04-29 15:29:38

At 4/25/23 05:46 PM, ADemise wrote: I recently watched Avatar the way of water in IMAX and really enjoyed it!
Before that I watched Dungeons and Dragons: honours among thieves and Puss in boots 2: the last wish

Saw the three of these as well and loved Avatar and Puss, although the hype train for the latter was well off the rails by the time it hit theatres over here. Surprised Avatar is still showing in IMAX.

As far as animated films go I saw Suzume recently, by Makoto Shinkai of Your Name. His previous films never clicked much but I was happy to see some anime on the big screen, ended up loving it. Takes trauma over the 2011 tsunami and weaves it into an action-romance road trip with a sentient chair.