New Topic Respond to this Topic
tyler2513
tyler2513
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2016-07-17 23:45:21 Reply

At 7/17/16 03:53 PM, argile wrote: Decided to go for more low browed entertainment this week, and considering that that have Inuyasha I'm going to check that out since I've never got to see it when I was younger.

Excellent stuff, as I said above Adventures in Babysitting is great! Also I'd recommend Jackass 3.5 as well, it's just as good as 2.5, but it has Steve-O doing the flaming gauntlet.

BBS Signature
VenomationsTV
VenomationsTV
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Animator
Response to Cinema Club 2016-07-18 01:11:21 Reply

The smurfs movie sucked

Stick your nose into my ass and smell it.
Sig made by Homicidee
The Twerking Thread
My YouTube Channel

BBS Signature
Natick
Natick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2016-07-19 06:29:53 Reply

sorry, sense-offender. totally on board to watch 12 monkeys again since it's been years since i first saw it and i loved la jetee since that was only a year ago

it's just that i'm still busy with this internship, be back home in two weeks then i'll be able to catch up with all the motws i missed

in the meantime, felt nothing while watching the neon demon in theaters. didn't connect with the characters, subject matter, or the way it was presented but the soundtrack made it watchable. just feels like nwr's update to suspiria which i have similar feelings of resentment towards as well

When ever you feel powerless, just remember this.

A single one of your pubes can shut down an entire restaurant. - Conal / MOTW: O Lucky Man!

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2016-07-19 11:56:16 (edited 2016-07-19 12:02:34) Reply

Got my thumb out of my ass and watched 12 Monkeys last night. It was... okay. More cheesy and low-brow than i was expecting and I actually had no idea this was mainstream enough to have Bruce Willis in the lead.

When I say it's cheesy the biggest offender was the really loud and goofy punching sound effects, but the sound design overall was really heavy handed with a lot of clumsily used stock effects. I don't think I even normally notice that sort of thing but it was everywhere here, like on the elevator at the start there's a way too loud sort of FWUSH sound very time a pipe(?) goes past, totally took me out of it. The music cues when the camera finds something beefy to sit on were a bit dodgy too, and one song from the score stood out because it sounded like it was from Professor Layton when it's meant to be an "oh shit something's about to happen" track, that one is probably more my fault than the movie's, though.

Visually it was more interesting with the washed-out dreamy look and several really weird creative shots, like when Cole wakes up in the future with the painting hanging over him and the scientists singing in front of it (what the actual was up with those future scientists btw? At first I thought it was just bad acting/direction but it as it went on it had to be fully intentional right?), the time transitions and the bits where Cole sees flashes of the destroyed future lined up with the past/present. At the same time it had some frivolous camera work as well with loads of zooming and twisting into close-ups. I don't know, maybe the film has just aged? It's actually been a solid while since I've watched something from the 90s so maybe they're all a bit like this and digital sound effects were new or something. It seems at times to have too tight a grasp on what it's trying to be for the weirdness and camp to be accidental.

I like the idea of the ending but it's so overly telegraphed and predictably built up. Stuff like the boy in the barn and the WWI bullet may as well be yelled at the viewer and then they beat the information over your head twice as hard when those points come back into play. It's like they intentionally make sure you know everything that's going to happen before it does, and actually getting the characters into those situations (like the airport) end up being contrived. Brad Pitt's dudes turning out to be benign was the one unexpected turn but it's really meaningless. The only reason I didn't get bored in the second half is because I was half expecting a supertwist where all the obvious clues it gives you were red herrings or had a different meaning. Cole's mental crisis where he thinks he might be crazy could have been handled better as well, it's just kind of tiresome when we know at that point he's sane. Maybe if it was a bit up in the air for the audience whether the future sections and time travel were real.

There's also a really weird prop choice at the end and this is just me being obsessive, but when Jose gives James the gun it's a fucking LeMat revolver, a physically huge civil-war-era cap and ball pistol. Nice future tech you have there. Jose probably got a modern replica rather than having gone all the way back to the 1860s to grab a gun and then going to 1996, although that's still a bit convoluted, but it's just odd when he whips out this big awkward antique in an airport and nothing is said about how bizarre a choice of gun it is.

I did like it though, it was very entertaining just not what I was expecting. Maybe I'm criticising it for what it isn't rather than what it is. It definitely gets my award for the most unnecessary amount of scenes with Bruce Willis' bare ass getting scrubbed. Brad also gets his ass out, all in the first half hour or so. Some solid quotable lines too. "I was attacked by a coked-up whore and a fucking crazy dentist"

Watched La Jetee this morning too. I liked it a bit more for its simple but effect experimental nature, it's almost like a well made history presentation and quite visually striking despite just being composed of still photos. Very grim. The version I got had an english narration (the narrator's voice was also a pretty good asmr trigger so that made it comfier than it probably should have been) and no subtitles so fill me in if I missed anything in the bits of whisper dialogue. 12 Monkeys expanded on it quite well though and might be an overall better sci fi film, if not a dank artsy one.

Certified Professional
last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2016-07-19 12:08:30 Reply

Oh I also watched Batman v Superman during the week. It was shit.

Certified Professional

BBS Signature
VenomationsTV
VenomationsTV
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Animator
Response to Cinema Club 2016-07-21 12:02:08 Reply

Don't you guys think that David Firth should make a Salad Fingers movie?

Stick your nose into my ass and smell it.
Sig made by Homicidee
The Twerking Thread
My YouTube Channel

BBS Signature
Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2016-07-21 16:22:43 Reply

Sorry I've been non-participatory of late. @Jackho you can go ahead and pick the next film whenevs, tho.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968, USA) | Letterboxd | Steam

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2016-07-22 15:29:08 Reply

At 7/21/16 04:22 PM, Dr-Worm wrote: @Jackho you can go ahead and pick the next film whenevs, tho.

[panics externally]

Certified Professional

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2016-07-23 14:25:15 (edited 2016-07-23 14:33:11) Reply

Alright fam let's try this one.

Night of the Living Dead (1968, George A. Romero, USA)
Easily one of the most important horror films and pieces of pop culture ever created. The horror genre in my mind is distinctly split into pre- and post-night of the living dead, being one of the clearest hinges between the classic horror of the first half of the 20th century, and the more grounded films we've had since that sit closer to home. Obviously tamer now, but extremely gruesome and pessimistic for its time, and no doubt burned into a lot of children's minds with the MPAA system only being set in place a month after Living Dead's release. A watershed moment for horror.

It has Dat 60's Sound Design™ but it's overall a surprisingly modern feeling film that doesn't really fit any moment in time, being a forward thinking pioneer yet restricted by budget and archaic equipment. Even something as contemporary as The Walking Dead TV show barely expands on what Romero did in '68. I went in expecting an artefact of film history and ended up really loving it as its own movie. The amount of irreverence shown toward an audience's expectations is pretty incredible.

As for availability, because of a copyright fuckup at release this movie has always been in the public domain, no doubt a contributor to its widespread availability at the time and the massive success that followed (for the film, though not for its creators). I guess that makes any download legal and possibly makes this the most widely accessible film chosen here. Somewhat bizarrely the wikipedia page has the full movie embedded in .webm form, and one google search gave me two solid youtube uploads plus a colorized version. It's free to stream or download from the internet archive but the quality on that version isn't the best. Blu rays are also quite plentiful. Can change if issues have tho.

Now to list a bunch of people who for the most part have never participated.

@Atlas
@Auz
@Dean (get on it boi)
@Dr-Worm
@EclecticEnnui
@fearthepiff
@HeavenDuff
@Jackho
@Jester
@Makeshift
@TheMaster
@Mechabloliver
@Natick
@Nebula
@Oolaph
@Piggler
@SapphireLight
@SG3
@SithCorduroy
@Sense-Offender
@Slint

"There was almost complete silence. The movie had stopped being delightfully scary about halfway through, and had become unexpectedly terrifying."
-Roger Ebert on his experience with the film.

Hope you boys find it interesting.

Cinema Club

Certified Professional

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2016-07-23 16:18:52 Reply

At 7/23/16 02:25 PM, Jackho wrote: Night of the Living Dead (1968, George A. Romero, USA)

I thought I owned this but turns out I don't. Should probably get around to rewatching it, probably haven't seen it in a decade.

More of a Return of the Living Dead fan myself, though.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 21
Musician
Response to Cinema Club 2016-07-23 19:53:19 Reply

At 7/23/16 02:25 PM, Jackho wrote: Night of the Living Dead (1968, George A. Romero, USA)

I think I only own a copy of this on VHS. I should probably pick up a blu-ray sometime, finally see that beautiful black & white 35mm through HD eyes.

Love this film. My favorite horror film by far, and if I had a top 10 it'd probably be somewhere in there. One of my favorite things about it is the pacing. They don't waste any of your time in this movie. Once that first ghoul (definitely not a zombie) shows up, the story never slows down once. Things only get faster and more intense as each moment passes, tension constantly building. The interaction between the characters feels perfect, there's definitely some rigid acting in there but things never feel awkward. I've read claims that majority of the dialogue is ad-libbed, and I'd say it worked out pretty dangin' darnin' tootin' well.

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2016-07-24 07:12:26 Reply

At 7/23/16 02:25 PM, Jackho wrote: Alright fam let's try this one.

I've had it sitting on my blu-ray shelf for ages now and still not seen it yet, so perfect excuse for me to finally watch it. Should hopefully get around to watching it on one of the nights this week.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Cinema Club 2016-07-24 15:27:22 Reply

At 7/23/16 02:25 PM, Jackho wrote: Alright fam let's try this one.

I'll watch it :) I've watched the remake, which was good. And I've seen parts of the 68 original. I was just recently talking to my girlfriend about the Romero original trilogy and how we should rewatch Dawn Of The Dead, and how she should watch Day Of The Dead for the first time. We both haven't seen the original Night Of The Living Dead. So now is as good as any time to watch it!

Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2016-07-27 13:54:51 Reply

At 7/23/16 04:18 PM, TheMaster wrote: More of a Return of the Living Dead fan myself, though.

I actually haven't seen any of that series, doubt I'll like them as as much as Romero's films but I should get to them

At 7/23/16 07:53 PM, Oolaph wrote: Love this film. My favorite horror film by far, and if I had a top 10 it'd probably be somewhere in there. One of my favorite things about it is the pacing. They don't waste any of your time in this movie. Once that first ghoul (definitely not a zombie) shows up, the story never slows down once.

Yes! The pacing is what really makes this movie. I feel like a more formal, studio-backed film from the time would have spent a whole half hour building up and establishing why before they let any chaos break out. It's like they're afraid of getting the viewer excited or something. Night of the Living Dead is totally chaos first, explanations maybe at some point.

Certified Professional

BBS Signature
iv5
iv5
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2016-07-28 14:30:40 (edited 2016-07-28 14:31:18) Reply

First I stumbled upon this image on the net, than I thought, well I don't think about cars like that normally, so I went and watched "The league of extraordinary gentlemen". Movie was as great as the car. :)

Cinema Club

Bertn1991
Bertn1991
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Animator
Response to Cinema Club 2016-08-01 02:22:04 Reply

My first ever video movie review. Talking aloud scares me to death, so I'm trying to overcome my phobia. I kinda suck at the moment and I cringe when I hear myself talk, but I hope to improve. Also, this movie was so stupid... but I liked it :-)

https://youtu.be/l49y44iRNEw

Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 21
Musician
Response to Cinema Club 2016-08-05 12:12:43 Reply

Gave into peer pressure and watched Stranger Things this week.

Story was nothing special, but the characters were strong and that's what's most important. The '80s setting worried me at first but it never really took away from the show, it ended up working pretty well. Kid actors were surprisingly solid, and the worst performance came from the most recognizable name. Biggest complaint is the monster's design, absolutely zero effort was put into that one.

Overall it was pretty fun, but I doubt I'd sit through a second season of it.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2016-08-05 12:42:44 Reply

At 8/5/16 12:12 PM, Oolaph wrote: Overall it was pretty fun, but I doubt I'd sit through a second season of it.

I loved it. Watched it in one sitting last Saturday, hooked from start to finish.

Perfectly paced, none of the filler or baggage that you often get with mystery stuff on TV. I've been a total sucker for MKULTRA stuff ever since a friend leant me The Men Who Stare At Goats about a decade ago, too.

Was looking for something else to marathon this weekend since I hadn't done it in years before this, actually. I gave the first episode of Once Upon a Time a try, since the premise is basically Fables and Fables in amazing, but it was about as close to unwatchable as you can get. Tried Bojack Horseman too, and didn't laugh once in the first episode while being continually irritated by the Family Guy style cutaway gags, so chucked that one too.

Think I've settled on Always Sunny. First episode had me in hysterics within 20 seconds, and there was a bit in the second where I had to pause it for a full minute because I was laughing so hard I couldn't hear what was happening. Only other things I had on the potentials list were American Horror Story, which I hear fluctuates pretty wildly between seasons, and Gilmore Girls, which is a bit of a bigger time commitment.

BBS Signature
Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2016-08-05 14:39:27 Reply

At 8/5/16 12:12 PM, Oolaph wrote: Gave into peer pressure and watched Stranger Things this week.

Same. It's a totally empty exercise in pure nostalgic pastiche, but an extremely entertaining, lovable, and expertly crafted one. I kind of loved it?

Story was nothing special, but the characters were strong and that's what's most important.

The writing is very solid, though archetypal to an occasional fault. The extent to which these characters have third dimensions is owed almost entirely to the outstanding performances.

Kid actors were surprisingly solid, and the worst performance came from the most recognizable name.

Winona Ryder is a national treasure, you eat your words sir.

But yeah, the kids are all great.

Overall it was pretty fun, but I doubt I'd sit through a second season of it.

It's so perfectly self-contained that I can't imagine the second season will be anything but a mild disappointment at best. The potential plotlines hinted at in the finale are...not terribly encouraging for the most part (oh boy, a Jonathan/Nancy/Steve love triangle, those are always fun and never tedious as shit). Also I'm not sure that I'm prepared to sit through a whole season where our adorable moppets are now awkward gangly teens.

But whatever, I'm still game for more. The whole thing is just too damn fun and endearing for me not to be. I will gladly be first in line for Stranger Things 2: Barb's Revenge.

At 8/5/16 12:42 PM, TheMaster wrote: I loved it. Watched it in one sitting last Saturday, hooked from start to finish.

Yeah, I watched the whole thing in two sittings over one 24 hour period, and I'm not usually much of a binge watcher.

Tried Bojack Horseman too, and didn't laugh once in the first episode while being continually irritated by the Family Guy style cutaway gags, so chucked that one too.

The first couple episodes of BoJack are pretty terrible and in no way reflect what the rest of the show is like. By the end of the first season it's a completely different, fantastic show, and the second is one of the best seasons of any show in recent memory.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968, USA) | Letterboxd | Steam

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2016-08-06 18:11:33 (edited 2016-08-06 18:13:43) Reply

RIP movie of the week 3.0
June - July 2016

At 8/5/16 12:42 PM, TheMaster wrote: Think I've settled on Always Sunny. First episode had me in hysterics within 20 seconds, and there was a bit in the second where I had to pause it for a full minute because I was laughing so hard I couldn't hear what was happening.

I had the same experience with Bojack but people seemed to love season 2 so it's back on the list for me. It's Always Sunny is excellent though, it might be the only american sitcom I've sat through multiple times. It does fall into the sitcom progression of each character getting more psychotic and less relatable as they settle further into their few defining traits, but honestly I think it works well here and the quality stays really consistent even up to season 10. Season 11, the most recent one, felt a bit weak but it has a couple of brilliant episodes.

Only other things I had on the potentials list were American Horror Story, which I hear fluctuates pretty wildly between seasons

American Horror Story is campy bullshit at best but I actually love it, plus every season is a self-contained story with different characters so they can't retroactively ruin the good parts. Season 1 involves a haunted house and is honestly kind of a mess but it totally sucked me in, there's enough characters and enough weirdness that some of it should click with you. Season 2 has an insane asylum ran by nuns in the 60s and is by far the best one, and the closest the show comes to being clever, there's nazis and demons and a murder subplot and everything.

Season 3 follows a modern coven of witches and is really, really fun and interesting for about 5 episodes, then it loses all focus and leads to easily the most thoroughly shit finale I've ever seen, it's almost worth it just to observe the train wreck and think what could have been if the writers had any idea where they were going with it. Season 4 is where I got burnt out and quit, but what I saw of it wasn't too bad, and season 5 was apparently pretty great.

Certified Professional

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2016-08-13 12:28:19 Reply

So The Shallows is one of the most overhyped, poorly marketed films in recent memory, then.

Saw it today. All the marketing plays up what a tense thriller it is. The best shark film since Jaws, Gravity with sharks etc. The problem is that while the film is okay, it's goofy as fuck, and full of really naff cliches.

It's still fun. I mean, it's Blake Lively in a bikini fighting a big shark, but you can't expect me to take it seriously as a thriller when you're doing slow motion shots of her zipping up her wetsuit (lingering on he squashing her tits into it) and of burning sharks leaping through the air. Then you've got the really trite, overly sentimental stuff, especially the ending which almost had me laughing at one point, it was so rubbish.

Think I'd have enjoyed it a lot more if I'd went in expecting to see a silly film about a shark, rather than a tense survival thriller. It's fine, it's just not the revelation it's being sold as.

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2016-08-20 13:27:18 Reply

Sorry I haven't been posting here in a while. I just haven't had much time to watch anything lately.

I watched four films this week though:

The Theory of Everything
Very solid performances by the lead actors. Redmane getting nominated for an Oscar for his role is totally deserved. I felt like Hawking's life story perhaps gets romanticised a bit too much though. Especially his early relationship with his wife came off as artificial to me. There must've been more drama in their relation than the film has us believe.

The Town
It looked more intriguing to me than it actually was. I remember this being on some top lists for this decade a while back, but I honestly didn't think it was all that special. Some decent performances and good action scenes, but nothing too memorable. Also, I don't know what it is with Ben Affleck, but I never find him that convincing in any role. It's not that he's a bad actor, but it's just something about his charisma I guess.

Living on One Dollar
A fairly short documentary about a group of college students who go out to rural Guatamala to live with those people for 8 weeks. It looked like the creators did their best to simulate the conditions that these people lived in. However, it didn't seem to me like they truly experienced the poverty that these people were in though. For one, they obviously had way more skills and knowledge to fall back on than the people they lived with.

The True Cost
About the 'fast fashion' industry. Generally I really don't care much for fashion and clothing at all, but I suppose it's good to realise that cheap clothes in major stores are often made by people who get heavily underpaid and work in terrible conditions. I think it outlines the problem fairly well and makes you rethink your lifestyle choices, which is what a documentary like this should do I suppose.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2015)

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2016-08-20 14:40:49 Reply

I saw Tickled.

Holy shit, what a weird film. It's a pretty conventional documentary, but the subject matter is just so bizarre that it more than makes up for it.

You don't expect a film about internet tickle fetish videos to uncover such a labyrinthine conspiracy. Truly baffling stuff.

BBS Signature
argile
argile
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club 2016-08-21 16:51:25 Reply

i'm on the 17 remaining minutes of Back to the Future 3 and I have to say that it's the best entry to the series and least feelings of Dejavue as it was in the second movie... To be honest I think that the stakes were higher to.

Cinema Club

argile
argile
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club 2016-08-21 20:20:23 Reply

At 8/21/16 04:51 PM, argile wrote: i'm on the 17 remaining minutes of Back to the Future 3 and I have to say that it's the best entry to the series and least feelings of Dejavue as it was in the second movie... To be honest I think that the stakes were higher to.

There is this movie I'm currently in the proccess of watching right and it's pretty awful . Home by Dreamworks can't really go on much further to beyond a few minutes at a time.

usgurshaan178
usgurshaan178
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2016-08-22 13:22:38 Reply

No Country for Old Men was fantastic.

David Bowie's lemonade saves lives

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2016-08-23 12:28:24 Reply

BBC Culture posted the 21st century's 100 greatest films (according to film critics at least).

The top 10:
10. No Country for Old Men (Joel and Ethan Coen, 2007)
9. A Separation (Asghar Farhadi, 2011)
8. Yi Yi: A One and a Two (Edward Yang, 2000)
7. The Tree of Life (Terrence Malick, 2011)
6. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Michel Gondry, 2004)
5. Boyhood (Richard Linklater, 2014)
4. Spirited Away (Hayao Miyazaki, 2001)
3. There Will Be Blood (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2007)
2. In the Mood for Love (Wong Kar-wai, 2000)
1. Mulholland Drive (David Lynch, 2001)

Thoughts? Opinions?

Mulholland Drive, Boyhood, and The Tree of Life personally didn't appeal to me all that much, but I'd agree they are intriguing (except Boyhood which I thought was a bore).

I feel some films deserve to be much higher up on the list, such as Requiem for a Dream (100th), Moonrise Kingdom (95th), Amélie (87th), Inglourious Basterds (62nd), Oldboy (30th)... but that's just personal preference maybe. I'm especially surprised by Amelie ranking that low. I always thought it was widely lauded by both critics and the public.

Also, I thought Interstellar was better than Inception.

Anyway, I guess I'll be adding some new films to my watchlist.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2015)

BBS Signature
usgurshaan178
usgurshaan178
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2016-08-24 11:15:41 Reply

At 8/23/16 12:28 PM, Auz wrote: BBC Culture posted the 21st century's 100 greatest films (according to film critics at least).

The top 10:
10. No Country for Old Men (Joel and Ethan Coen, 2007)

It's a really great movie, but #10 of the decade? I never realized this movie was so overrated.

9. A Separation (Asghar Farhadi, 2011)
8. Yi Yi: A One and a Two (Edward Yang, 2000)
7. The Tree of Life (Terrence Malick, 2011)

Not really, same thing as #10.

6. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Michel Gondry, 2004)

Now this is a movie that should be on the list.

5. Boyhood (Richard Linklater, 2014)

Not really, I guess this is on here because the film took 12 years to make. It's alright though.

4. Spirited Away (Hayao Miyazaki, 2001)

That is so bullshit. It's not that good at all, it's alright as well but what is this, an attempt to put another foreign film on the list gone wrong?

3. There Will Be Blood (Paul Thomas Anderson, 2007)
2. In the Mood for Love (Wong Kar-wai, 2000)
1. Mulholland Drive (David Lynch, 2001)

Thoughts? Opinions?

Mulholland Drive, Boyhood, and The Tree of Life personally didn't appeal to me all that much, but I'd agree they are intriguing (except Boyhood which I thought was a bore).

I feel some films deserve to be much higher up on the list, such as Requiem for a Dream (100th), Moonrise Kingdom (95th)

Moonrise Kingdom kicks ass, BBC don't know shit.

Amelie (87th), Inglourious Basterds (62nd), Oldboy (30th)... but that's just personal preference maybe. I'm especially surprised by Amelie ranking that low. I always thought it was widely lauded by both critics and the public.

It was! I don't know how the BBC ranks their shit but it's not good. Amelie is objectively better than #87 and Oldboy is also very good. The actor is pretty good at being drunk.

Also, I thought Interstellar was better than Inception.

The theme of the movie was kind of disappointing, but visually it was fucking fantastic.

Anyway, I guess I'll be adding some new films to my watchlist.

David Bowie's lemonade saves lives

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2016-08-24 14:53:51 (edited 2016-08-24 14:57:13) Reply

Man I've watched nothing lately. Here's everything I've seen since 12 monkeys

Memories of Murder - korean police procedural set in the 1980s about the only serial killer ever recorded in the country, and the vastly unprepared and under-equipped group of detectives attempting to solve it. It's also really, really fucking good. Particularly if you like Fincher's Zodiac, I think this film does many of the same ideas better and in less time. The ending keeps popping back into my head since I watched it. New favourite for sure.

Zootopia - I need to stop setting my expectations for these animated films so high. It was perfectly okay but very disappointing. The first third or so was excellent, with so much visual creativity and some clever writing that plays with the concept, then it quickly devolves into formulaic movie making and hits every predictable note you expect it to. The whole racial message that gets praised so often was also extremely convoluted, I wouldn't know what the hell to make of the message they're trying to push if everyone else hasn't already crowed about how effective it apparently is at tackling racism. It was really beautiful to look at though, and I don't just say that out of obligation for every one of these films, the character designs are great as always but the city here looks absolutely fantastic by disney/pixar standards and is so densely packed with detail. I'd probably have liked it more if it was just ambient shots of the city, or one static picture of dat pavement. I gave it a 3/5 on letterboxd, still a damn stretch better than the likes of Inside Out and Frozen and a step in the right direction, but nothing special and not half as good as it could be. I really hate how massively over-praised every animated film is if it's just not totally garbage for an adult audience, it's like a barrier of low expectation that just holds this medium back.

Donald Trump's The Art of the Deal, The Movie - 50 minute parody on netflix, not too great as it's basically just a sketch dragged out about five times longer than it should be, but there's a couple decent laughs. I actually had no idea Johnny Depp was the one portraying Trump until I looked it up afterward, that's some pretty genuinely great makeup work although all the VHS degradation effects probably helped a lot.

oh actually I did get watching Stranger Things as well (@oolaph @themaster), loved it, but the second half is significantly weaker than the first, one episode veers toward being flat out bad and the CG as well as the whole aesthetic of the upside-down was fairly garbage. Was still pretty hype when everyone came together in the last couple episodes and it's something I'm definitely going to rewatch several times in the future and probably buy the soundtrack for. If it were a film and not a series I'd already probably have rewatched it a bunch of times. Not looking forward to season 2 but it might turn out to be a nice surprise. I thought the writing was excellent and I haven't been so creatively inspired by something in a long while.

At 8/23/16 12:28 PM, Auz wrote: BBC Culture posted the 21st century's 100 greatest films (according to film critics at least).

weeoo weeoo list alert get the anger out

It's an okay list, I mean as far as these lists can be it's not terrible, and I haven't seen enough of these to judge too harshly. Of the top ten, Boyhood is the only one I dislike, while Eternal Sunshine the only one I really love (though There Will Be Blood is excellent too).

Some of my own top favourites of the time period would be Synecdoche, New York listed at #20, Under The Skin at #61, Her at #84, Drive at... actually Drive isn't listed at all, what the fuck man. That's pretty egregious imo, when fucking Inside Out can make it in, or Brooklyn. Brooklyn is perfectly inoffensive and passable and doesn't deserve a spot on any list of greatness. Memories of Murder should be there too but I never expect many foreign films represented in these things, actually surprised to see Oldboy on there and so high up. I guess the remake must have drawn some attention to it.

Anyway best not to dedicate too much thought to this stuff, and particularly not to the totally arbitrary order they're given. I respect the vast majority of the list and of what I've seen there's very very few I didn't like, so it's good enough I suppose.

I'm especially surprised by Amelie ranking that low. I always thought it was widely lauded by both critics and the public.

Even if it's a hundred movies over 16 years you better damn expect every film on it to have been widely lauded, m8.

Certified Professional

BBS Signature
JaY11
JaY11
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Melancholy
Response to Cinema Club 2016-08-24 19:39:47 Reply

At 8/24/16 02:53 PM, Jackho wrote:
weeoo weeoo list alert get the anger out

while Eternal Sunshine the only one I really love

I didn't like this that much even tho I know loads of people with confirmed great taste that love it. The lead female character just irritated me all the way through. Whenever someone mentions this film I have a small existential crisis in which I consider the possibility that maybe i'm a total pleb.

Some of my own top favourites of the time period would be Synecdoche, New York listed at #20, Under The Skin at #61, Her at #84, Drive at... actually Drive isn't listed at all, what the fuck man.

These films are all dope. Under The Skin I thought was mostly just eye & ear candy, tho. Beautifully shot, great soundtrack, and of course SJ is fit as fuck waaahaaayyy ladddzzzzz. I remember nearly tearing up during the scene that consists of her face in a warm orange collage with some ambient kind of music.

My local cinema has had a Tarkovsky retrospective all summer which is cool. I got to see Stalker on the big screen which was wonderful. Ivan's Childhood was also fantastic. I kept falling asleep during Mirror, which felt oddly appropriate. I couldn't see Solaris, which bummed me out.