New Topic Respond to this Topic
tyler2513
tyler2513
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2016-07-17 23:45:21 Reply

At 7/17/16 03:53 PM, argile wrote: Decided to go for more low browed entertainment this week, and considering that that have Inuyasha I'm going to check that out since I've never got to see it when I was younger.

Excellent stuff, as I said above Adventures in Babysitting is great! Also I'd recommend Jackass 3.5 as well, it's just as good as 2.5, but it has Steve-O doing the flaming gauntlet.

BBS Signature
VenomationsTV
VenomationsTV
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Artist
Response to Cinema Club 2016-07-18 01:11:21 Reply

The smurfs movie sucked

Stick your nose into my ass and smell it.
Sig made by Homicidee

The Twerking Thread

BBS Signature
Natick
Natick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2016-07-19 06:29:53 Reply

sorry, sense-offender. totally on board to watch 12 monkeys again since it's been years since i first saw it and i loved la jetee since that was only a year ago

it's just that i'm still busy with this internship, be back home in two weeks then i'll be able to catch up with all the motws i missed

in the meantime, felt nothing while watching the neon demon in theaters. didn't connect with the characters, subject matter, or the way it was presented but the soundtrack made it watchable. just feels like nwr's update to suspiria which i have similar feelings of resentment towards as well

When ever you feel powerless, just remember this.

A single one of your pubes can shut down an entire restaurant. - Conal / MOTW: O Lucky Man!

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Reader
Response to Cinema Club 2016-07-19 11:56:16 (edited 2016-07-19 12:02:34) Reply

Got my thumb out of my ass and watched 12 Monkeys last night. It was... okay. More cheesy and low-brow than i was expecting and I actually had no idea this was mainstream enough to have Bruce Willis in the lead.

When I say it's cheesy the biggest offender was the really loud and goofy punching sound effects, but the sound design overall was really heavy handed with a lot of clumsily used stock effects. I don't think I even normally notice that sort of thing but it was everywhere here, like on the elevator at the start there's a way too loud sort of FWUSH sound very time a pipe(?) goes past, totally took me out of it. The music cues when the camera finds something beefy to sit on were a bit dodgy too, and one song from the score stood out because it sounded like it was from Professor Layton when it's meant to be an "oh shit something's about to happen" track, that one is probably more my fault than the movie's, though.

Visually it was more interesting with the washed-out dreamy look and several really weird creative shots, like when Cole wakes up in the future with the painting hanging over him and the scientists singing in front of it (what the actual was up with those future scientists btw? At first I thought it was just bad acting/direction but it as it went on it had to be fully intentional right?), the time transitions and the bits where Cole sees flashes of the destroyed future lined up with the past/present. At the same time it had some frivolous camera work as well with loads of zooming and twisting into close-ups. I don't know, maybe the film has just aged? It's actually been a solid while since I've watched something from the 90s so maybe they're all a bit like this and digital sound effects were new or something. It seems at times to have too tight a grasp on what it's trying to be for the weirdness and camp to be accidental.

I like the idea of the ending but it's so overly telegraphed and predictably built up. Stuff like the boy in the barn and the WWI bullet may as well be yelled at the viewer and then they beat the information over your head twice as hard when those points come back into play. It's like they intentionally make sure you know everything that's going to happen before it does, and actually getting the characters into those situations (like the airport) end up being contrived. Brad Pitt's dudes turning out to be benign was the one unexpected turn but it's really meaningless. The only reason I didn't get bored in the second half is because I was half expecting a supertwist where all the obvious clues it gives you were red herrings or had a different meaning. Cole's mental crisis where he thinks he might be crazy could have been handled better as well, it's just kind of tiresome when we know at that point he's sane. Maybe if it was a bit up in the air for the audience whether the future sections and time travel were real.

There's also a really weird prop choice at the end and this is just me being obsessive, but when Jose gives James the gun it's a fucking LeMat revolver, a physically huge civil-war-era cap and ball pistol. Nice future tech you have there. Jose probably got a modern replica rather than having gone all the way back to the 1860s to grab a gun and then going to 1996, although that's still a bit convoluted, but it's just odd when he whips out this big awkward antique in an airport and nothing is said about how bizarre a choice of gun it is.

I did like it though, it was very entertaining just not what I was expecting. Maybe I'm criticising it for what it isn't rather than what it is. It definitely gets my award for the most unnecessary amount of scenes with Bruce Willis' bare ass getting scrubbed. Brad also gets his ass out, all in the first half hour or so. Some solid quotable lines too. "I was attacked by a coked-up whore and a fucking crazy dentist"

Watched La Jetee this morning too. I liked it a bit more for its simple but effect experimental nature, it's almost like a well made history presentation and quite visually striking despite just being composed of still photos. Very grim. The version I got had an english narration (the narrator's voice was also a pretty good asmr trigger so that made it comfier than it probably should have been) and no subtitles so fill me in if I missed anything in the bits of whisper dialogue. 12 Monkeys expanded on it quite well though and might be an overall better sci fi film, if not a dank artsy one.

Certified Professional
last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Reader
Response to Cinema Club 2016-07-19 12:08:30 Reply

Oh I also watched Batman v Superman during the week. It was shit.

Certified Professional

BBS Signature
VenomationsTV
VenomationsTV
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Artist
Response to Cinema Club 2016-07-21 12:02:08 Reply

Don't you guys think that David Firth should make a Salad Fingers movie?

Stick your nose into my ass and smell it.
Sig made by Homicidee

The Twerking Thread

BBS Signature
Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2016-07-21 16:22:43 Reply

Sorry I've been non-participatory of late. @Jackho you can go ahead and pick the next film whenevs, tho.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968, USA) | Letterboxd | Steam

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Reader
Response to Cinema Club 2016-07-22 15:29:08 Reply

At 7/21/16 04:22 PM, Dr-Worm wrote: @Jackho you can go ahead and pick the next film whenevs, tho.

[panics externally]

Certified Professional

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Reader
Response to Cinema Club 2016-07-23 14:25:15 (edited 2016-07-23 14:33:11) Reply

Alright fam let's try this one.

Night of the Living Dead (1968, George A. Romero, USA)
Easily one of the most important horror films and pieces of pop culture ever created. The horror genre in my mind is distinctly split into pre- and post-night of the living dead, being one of the clearest hinges between the classic horror of the first half of the 20th century, and the more grounded films we've had since that sit closer to home. Obviously tamer now, but extremely gruesome and pessimistic for its time, and no doubt burned into a lot of children's minds with the MPAA system only being set in place a month after Living Dead's release. A watershed moment for horror.

It has Dat 60's Sound Design™ but it's overall a surprisingly modern feeling film that doesn't really fit any moment in time, being a forward thinking pioneer yet restricted by budget and archaic equipment. Even something as contemporary as The Walking Dead TV show barely expands on what Romero did in '68. I went in expecting an artefact of film history and ended up really loving it as its own movie. The amount of irreverence shown toward an audience's expectations is pretty incredible.

As for availability, because of a copyright fuckup at release this movie has always been in the public domain, no doubt a contributor to its widespread availability at the time and the massive success that followed (for the film, though not for its creators). I guess that makes any download legal and possibly makes this the most widely accessible film chosen here. Somewhat bizarrely the wikipedia page has the full movie embedded in .webm form, and one google search gave me two solid youtube uploads plus a colorized version. It's free to stream or download from the internet archive but the quality on that version isn't the best. Blu rays are also quite plentiful. Can change if issues have tho.

Now to list a bunch of people who for the most part have never participated.

@Atlas
@Auz
@Dean (get on it boi)
@Dr-Worm
@EclecticEnnui
@fearthepiff
@HeavenDuff
@Jackho
@Jester
@Makeshift
@TheMaster
@Mechabloliver
@Natick
@Nebula
@Oolaph
@Piggler
@SapphireLight
@SG3
@SithCorduroy
@Sense-Offender
@Slint

"There was almost complete silence. The movie had stopped being delightfully scary about halfway through, and had become unexpectedly terrifying."
-Roger Ebert on his experience with the film.

Hope you boys find it interesting.

Cinema Club

Certified Professional

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2016-07-23 16:18:52 Reply

At 7/23/16 02:25 PM, Jackho wrote: Night of the Living Dead (1968, George A. Romero, USA)

I thought I owned this but turns out I don't. Should probably get around to rewatching it, probably haven't seen it in a decade.

More of a Return of the Living Dead fan myself, though.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 21
Musician
Response to Cinema Club 2016-07-23 19:53:19 Reply

At 7/23/16 02:25 PM, Jackho wrote: Night of the Living Dead (1968, George A. Romero, USA)

I think I only own a copy of this on VHS. I should probably pick up a blu-ray sometime, finally see that beautiful black & white 35mm through HD eyes.

Love this film. My favorite horror film by far, and if I had a top 10 it'd probably be somewhere in there. One of my favorite things about it is the pacing. They don't waste any of your time in this movie. Once that first ghoul (definitely not a zombie) shows up, the story never slows down once. Things only get faster and more intense as each moment passes, tension constantly building. The interaction between the characters feels perfect, there's definitely some rigid acting in there but things never feel awkward. I've read claims that majority of the dialogue is ad-libbed, and I'd say it worked out pretty dangin' darnin' tootin' well.

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2016-07-24 07:12:26 Reply

At 7/23/16 02:25 PM, Jackho wrote: Alright fam let's try this one.

I've had it sitting on my blu-ray shelf for ages now and still not seen it yet, so perfect excuse for me to finally watch it. Should hopefully get around to watching it on one of the nights this week.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Melancholy
Response to Cinema Club 2016-07-24 15:27:22 Reply

At 7/23/16 02:25 PM, Jackho wrote: Alright fam let's try this one.

I'll watch it :) I've watched the remake, which was good. And I've seen parts of the 68 original. I was just recently talking to my girlfriend about the Romero original trilogy and how we should rewatch Dawn Of The Dead, and how she should watch Day Of The Dead for the first time. We both haven't seen the original Night Of The Living Dead. So now is as good as any time to watch it!

Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Reader
Response to Cinema Club 2016-07-27 13:54:51 Reply

At 7/23/16 04:18 PM, TheMaster wrote: More of a Return of the Living Dead fan myself, though.

I actually haven't seen any of that series, doubt I'll like them as as much as Romero's films but I should get to them

At 7/23/16 07:53 PM, Oolaph wrote: Love this film. My favorite horror film by far, and if I had a top 10 it'd probably be somewhere in there. One of my favorite things about it is the pacing. They don't waste any of your time in this movie. Once that first ghoul (definitely not a zombie) shows up, the story never slows down once.

Yes! The pacing is what really makes this movie. I feel like a more formal, studio-backed film from the time would have spent a whole half hour building up and establishing why before they let any chaos break out. It's like they're afraid of getting the viewer excited or something. Night of the Living Dead is totally chaos first, explanations maybe at some point.

Certified Professional

BBS Signature