New Topic Respond to this Topic
argile
argile
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club 2016-09-20 16:39:09 Reply

Watched this today , it was thoroughly entertaining.

Cinema Club

argile
argile
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club 2016-09-21 07:52:39 Reply

Saving Private Ryan ,going on a roll this week.

TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2016-09-21 16:52:04 Reply

Saw The Hunt for the Wilderpeople today.

Utterly charming, hilarious throughout, and genuinely touching in places. Get it watched.

Will go see Hell or High Water and that reissue of The Man Who Fell To Earth at the weekend.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
Gershon
Gershon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2016-09-22 21:51:15 Reply

I saw Birkebeinerne(The Last King) a Norwegian film about their king's last illegitimate son where most of the kingdom wants killed off, one of the major actors is the ginger wildling guy from Game of Thrones.

It's a pretty good movie and if you don't mind subs I recommend you to watch it

Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2016-09-23 08:25:07 (edited 2016-09-23 08:34:16) Reply

Caught up on a few 2016 releases

10 Cloverfield Lane

This one is really frustrating. I was so in tune with all of it for the first 90-ish minutes, like nearing on all-time favourite material, then they ruin it at the very end. I'll not spoil it just because of how great the rest of it is - if anyone hasn't seen this it's absolutely worth watching, drastically better than the first Cloverfield, the three performances and especially John Goodman are fucking incredible, and the premise is just so good, but the less you know of the actual story going in, the better. The trailers for this are surprisingly reserved in what they give away but I still think they give too much.

The ending, though. Its not even what happens but how it's done, it doesn't feel like the same director let alone the same film, and the possible surprise or shock value is squandered by the title of the film being Cloverfield. I don't heavily dislike the first one but this would be far better off without the connection, or at the very least without it being so overt as to be in the title. There's a shot at the end where the camera lingers on the mail box that reads "10 Cloverfield" - that should be the moment it all comes together, instead it's in the title and so that shot is entirely pointless in the movie.

The supposed sequel connection doesn't even make sense, there's too many easily fixable anachronisms for this to be taking place at the same time as the other film, and you'd think someone might mention New York getting nuked flat during a monster attack. I had to go to the subreddit to find the answer, and according to the director himself it's a different timeline.

So basically there is no actual fucking connection, it's two films set almost a decade apart, in separate universes, with different characters and each about a different, unrelated, but very vaguely similar event. I'm so actually fucking annoyed at this level of stupidity, I don't hate on JJ Abrams but the effectiveness of his mystery box approach has always been questionable, and here he fucking deliberately reached into someone else's mystery box only to slap the contents on the label and add absolutely no value. I'm so mad, this was so nearly a brilliant movie.

The Witch

Really really good, but a bit uneven. It sort of feels like it was meant to be more of an arthouse film but reworked into a somewhat more consumer-friendly one, or at least that the weirdness is more restrained than it should be and I'd have preferred if it just went even farther off in its own direction. Super excited to see what this guy does next. One thing I'd have liked is a bit more subtlety and obscurity, not in the possible interpretations but just the literal events of the film. We have to just accept that Satan exists but if a few scenes were done slightly differently it would be unclear whether there actually was a witch or a demonic presence at all. Playing it straight is sort of refreshing too but the ambiguity would have been nice.

I didn't pick up on this when watching but when trying to describe this film to someone else he dismissed it as the usual "aah the crosses are inverted it's satan!" christian horror film, which made me realise just how devoid it is of the usual horror tropes and particularly the Exorcist-ripping christian themed ones. If I'm not mistaken there's no actual religious imagery used. Even the sort-of-exorcism scene (god damn incredible by the way) isn't that similar to any comparable scenes I can think of.

The Neon Demon

Also really good, one of the best looking and sounding films I've ever seen. The transition from a mostly normal story into a bizarre violent and depraved third act is a bit clumsy, and outside the excellent aesthetics there's not much going on, but that was enough for me.

Wiener-Dog

Thought a comedy would be nice after those other three. Pity that's not at all what this is, this is the most miserable film of the lot by far. It's basically four sombre short films connected fairly lazily through the titular dog passing through owners (though there's at least one owner-transition and maybe a whole character cut from it). The stand out is Danny DeVito's segment, where he plays a one-time screenwriter turned film professor who's ultimately just untalented and unhelpful to his students. It could've been turned into an alright film on it's own but like the other segments it's just too short to really go anywhere, and that one in particular has the flimsiest connection to the actual dog.

It's far enough out-there for someone to love it but none of the jokes hit with me and it's all just so excessively mean-spirited and tryhard in its edgyness that I found it thoroughly unenjoyable. Anyone who thinks Anomalisa is unempathetic or too harsh should see this. It almost veers toward being preachy too, clearly Solondz has a severe issue with young people in the film industry and I guess what he sees as selfish millennials, I just hate that feeling when the writer is so overtly trying to wave an idea at you.

Anyway

Feels like there hasn't been many releases in 2016 but I still have a lot to see. Pic is how I've ranked it so far, though I might remove Horace and Pete, and Cloverfield is liable to drop at least four spaces depending on how willing I am to forgive.

Cinema Club

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2016-09-23 08:25:53 (edited 2016-09-23 08:37:00) Reply

Oh I also rewatched Arrested Development along with the netflix season which I hadn't seen before. Quite good. I'd probably put it on par with most of season 3 but this show peaks in late season 2 imo. The non-linear structure was a ballsy move as the first couple episodes make little sense and probably put a lot of people off, but once it starts coming together it picks up immensely and by the end of the season there's so many retroactive connections being made in each episode, it's really rewarding to watch unfold. Limiting to one character per episode was definitely a mistake, though. These characters work best when they're all together and honestly they're just not strong enough to hold an episode alone.

Side note, @sense-offender, did you know that Jacob's Ladder remake is/was actually starting to go somewhere? Not only that but according to a slashfilm article it's been totally remade into "a modern-day paranoid action thriller about two brothers.” How neat is that.

BBS Signature
Gershon
Gershon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2016-09-23 19:37:31 Reply

At 9/23/16 08:25 AM, Jackho wrote: Caught up on a few 2016 releases

10 Cloverfield Lane

This one is really frustrating. I was so in tune with all of it for the first 90-ish minutes, like nearing on all-time favourite material, then they ruin it at the very end. I'll not spoil it just because of how great the rest of it is - if anyone hasn't seen this it's absolutely worth watching, drastically better than the first Cloverfield, the three performances and especially John Goodman are fucking incredible, and the premise is just so good, but the less you know of the actual story going in, the better. The trailers for this are surprisingly reserved in what they give away but I still think they give too much.

The ending, though. Its not even what happens but how it's done, it doesn't feel like the same director let alone the same film, and the possible surprise or shock value is squandered by the title of the film being Cloverfield. I don't heavily dislike the first one but this would be far better off without the connection, or at the very least without it being so overt as to be in the title. There's a shot at the end where the camera lingers on the mail box that reads "10 Cloverfield" - that should be the moment it all comes together, instead it's in the title and so that shot is entirely pointless in the movie.

There is a film I saw before 10 Cloverfield Lane called The Divide, it's basically the same trope of being stuck together set after a nuclear attack but compared to Cloverfield it is MUCH more disturbing and very close to the Stanford Prison Experiment, it's an indie film so don't expect high budget explosions etc

EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club 2016-09-26 21:34:32 Reply

I watched an experimental documentary called From Sea to Shining Sea. It's so-so. Here's my review.

Kayleeee
Kayleeee
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Reader
Response to Cinema Club 2016-09-27 00:20:50 Reply

The Fundamentals of Caring killed my heart.

"I'll never stop caring. But the thing about caring is, it's inconvenient. Sometimes you've got to give when it makes no sense to at all. Sometimes you've got to give until it hurts."

We are conscious of an animal in us, which awakens in proportion as our higher nature slumbers.

BBS Signature
Quisty
Quisty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Voice Actor
Response to Cinema Club 2016-09-27 14:23:38 Reply

Hoping to join your club :D

In October I watch one horror movie per day, like a Horror fest. I'm looking for any suggestions on some great films. Let me know if you have any recommendations.

Also, my friend and I love to talk about Criterion films from The Criterion Collection. Any Criterion lovers on here?

Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2016-09-27 16:02:35 (edited 2016-09-27 16:03:49) Reply

At 9/27/16 02:23 PM, Quisty wrote: In October I watch one horror movie per day, like a Horror fest. I'm looking for any suggestions on some great films. Let me know if you have any recommendations.

On Letterboxd they call it the hoop-tober challenge for whatever reason, and people have their lists made up in advance so if you search the tag there you'll find loads of horror, and particularly some lesser known stuff as they try to get 30 films together year after year.

Rather than list a bunch of classics you've already probably seen I'll recommend two you might not know of: Housebound, a New Zealand horror-comedy that delivers well on both genres, and Creep, a simple but bizarre found footage movie - both are on netflix last I checked. The Witch from earlier this year is great too if you haven't seen it yet.

Also, my friend and I love to talk about Criterion films from The Criterion Collection. Any Criterion lovers on here?

@Dr-Worm subsists on a diet of criterions, cartoons and Kendrick Lamar. I think most of this club is outside the US though, so no criterions for us, but we've all seen a decent chunk of the collection by now. We have a "movie of the week" thing that's become an annual attempt until it dies out a few months later, where participants are chosen to pick the next film for the group to see. Wings of Desire, If..., Harold and Maude, Mishsima: A Life in Four Chapters and Grey Gardens have all been chosen and those last three would all rank among my favourite films.

After that I'm not too familiar with the collection, but off the top of my head I know Le Samourai, Being John Malkovich, Badlands, Spinal Tap and 12 Angry Men are on there and all great, and there's probably many more I've seen.

BBS Signature
Quisty
Quisty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Voice Actor
Response to Cinema Club 2016-09-27 18:07:27 Reply

At 9/27/16 04:02 PM, Jackho wrote: On Letterboxd they call it the hoop-tober challenge for whatever reason, and people have their lists made up in advance so if you search the tag there you'll find loads of horror, and particularly some lesser known stuff as they try to get 30 films together year after year.

Ooo very nice. I'll have to check it out.

Rather than list a bunch of classics you've already probably seen I'll recommend two you might not know of: Housebound, a New Zealand horror-comedy that delivers well on both genres, and Creep, a simple but bizarre found footage movie - both are on netflix last I checked. The Witch from earlier this year is great too if you haven't seen it yet.

I've seen Housebound and loved it, but not The Witch or Creep. Thanks for the recommendations.

@Dr-Worm subsists on a diet of criterions, cartoons and Kendrick Lamar. I think most of this club is outside the US though, so no criterions for us, but we've all seen a decent chunk of the collection by now. We have a "movie of the week" thing that's become an annual attempt until it dies out a few months later, where participants are chosen to pick the next film for the group to see. Wings of Desire, If..., Harold and Maude, Mishsima: A Life in Four Chapters and Grey Gardens have all been chosen and those last three would all rank among my favourite films.

Ya. I'm in Canada but a border city to USA, so I'm able to get a collection. Harold and Maude is just the best.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2016-09-27 19:03:09 (edited 2016-09-27 19:04:15) Reply

At 9/27/16 02:23 PM, Quisty wrote: Hoping to join your club :D

In October I watch one horror movie per day, like a Horror fest. I'm looking for any suggestions on some great films. Let me know if you have any recommendations.

I've been participating in the general forum's 31 days of horror challenge every year since 2012. Always look forward to it. The idea is movies you've never seen. I actually did 31 movies last year, which I had never done, but I enjoyed the year before more overall because I saw more good ones. I was more thorough about my posts then, too. I'll be going for it again this year. I've been feeling the spirit of the season extra early and re-watching several horror movies. I watched Hellraiser again last night and was going through the Final Destination movies a few days ago. I forgot how bad the effects were in the fourth one.

So, here's 2012 (the Revenant was a 2009 movie, the bear rape one didn't exist then)

And here's 2014

I don't know why I neglected to do those final posts to sum up the month in 2013 and 2015. I watched a lot of shitty ones in 2015, though. haha. But here's those threads. Sharing since you asked for ideas of movies. Off the top of my head, the Thing comes to mind first. I don't know if Vampire Hunter D qualifies to you, but I love that movie just for the style, soundtrack, backgrounds and little details etc. There's a lot of good stuff I've seen doing those 31 days of horror challenges, too.

sig by JaY11
one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club 2016-09-27 19:14:07 Reply

At 9/27/16 02:23 PM, Quisty wrote: In October I watch one horror movie per day, like a Horror fest. I'm looking for any suggestions on some great films. Let me know if you have any recommendations.

It Follows
Funny Games (1997)
Pontypool
Troll 2 [It's so bad it's good.]
Zombieland
The Cabin in the Woods
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
The Devil's Rejects
The Shining
Psycho (1960)
Planet Terror
Let the Right One In
[Rec]
Cube

Ishmaelist
Ishmaelist
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2016-09-27 23:26:00 Reply

BEST SCIENCE FICTION FILM OF ALL TIME COMING THROUGH

Cinema Club

argile
argile
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club 2016-09-28 15:19:11 Reply

Finished The Truman show today ,it actually managed to be pretty creepy at some parts and it's not even october yet. Next is zootopia

Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2016-09-28 18:31:58 Reply

I watched Predator yesterday.

It's highly entertaining with good action scenes, very quotable lines and some excellent special effects for its time. The Predator costume still looks incredibly good to this day. In terms of plot I'd say it's not that far above the average action flick, but I can't say that bothered me for a single moment.

Anyway, glad I finally got to see this film.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 1 September 2016)

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2016-09-29 16:08:06 Reply

I went to see The Girl With All The Gifts.

It's a film set after a fungal-based zombie apocalypse, about a girl who is infected but retains her humanity, and who's body contains the potential for a cure, but which can only come with her death. Gee, that sure does sound familiar.

It starts incredibly strong, and I'd have been quite happy had the entire film been set in the lab the first act takes place in, but instead we go into a string of your standard zombie tropes. All very well done (the film looks spectacular), but it's same old, same old. We get the "is it a bite or is it a scratch?" scene, we get the Shaun of the Dead walking through a crowd of zombies scene, we get the horde of zombies breaking down the fence scene, and so on and so forth.

The familiarity is more of a missed opportunity than a net drain on the film, as the central premise is excellent. The main conflict in the film is internal - the protagonist is infected and has the uncontrollable need to feed on flesh, but has retained her conciousness. Keeping the focus tight on a small group of characters, all of whom have more depth than your typical zombie fodder, is smart given the budget, but that doesn't preclude some great action too. The initial attack sequence which forces the protagonists to leave the outpost is particularly impressive.

Then you hit the third act, and a tribe of ferral child-zombies in face paint wearing bones and wielding baseball bats shows up. They lure one of the protagonists into a trap using a trail of canned food, and the whole thing turns into a fucking cartoon. It's utterly preposterous, and totally at odds with everything else that came before. Stick in an ending that's full of so many holes I don't know where to start and a preposterous epilogue scene, and you've botched what could have been a great film.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
Quisty
Quisty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 09
Voice Actor
Response to Cinema Club 2016-09-29 19:21:39 Reply

At 9/27/16 11:26 PM, Ishmaelist wrote: BEST SCIENCE FICTION FILM OF ALL TIME COMING THROUGH

loooooove David Lynch!

Also thank you to those who gave me horror film suggestions :)

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2016-09-29 21:21:37 (edited 2016-09-29 21:34:42) Reply

At 9/23/16 08:25 AM, Jackho wrote: Side note, @sense-offender, did you know that Jacob's Ladder remake is/was actually starting to go somewhere? Not only that but according to a slashfilm article it's been totally remade into "a modern-day paranoid action thriller about two brothers.” How neat is that.

Wait, what?

Let me look...

... Oh, boy...

At 9/28/16 06:31 PM, Auz wrote: I watched Predator yesterday.

One of the best things I gew up watching from a one digit age.

At 9/27/16 04:02 PM, Jackho wrote: On Letterboxd they call it the hoop-tober challenge for whatever reason,

Pretty appropriate spoonerism of Tobe Hooper right there. I might put together a list. I made an account on Tuesday.

sig by JaY11
one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature