New Topic Respond to this Topic
Jolly
Jolly
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 47
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2016-01-31 20:41:48 Reply

At 1/31/16 08:31 PM, Jackho wrote: I do have considerably less respect for someone who says Shawshank is their favourite movie.

Shawshank is the best movie ever because it's #1 on IMDb

Centaurora
Centaurora
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2016-01-31 22:22:19 Reply

So there was this indie film in 2003 called Scorched. I guess it's a semi-bank heist movie. It's been ages since I've seen it but I remember enjoying it.

#1 Dad

BBS Signature
Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2016-02-01 00:07:42 Reply

At 1/31/16 08:31 PM, Jackho wrote: It's a sort of landing pad for movie buffs in larvae form, or "baby's first serious film" if you want, but more experienced movie watch guys can be just as try-hard when they scoff at it. Same as The Shawshank Redemption and Pulp Fiction, though tbh I do have considerably less respect for someone who says Shawshank is their favourite movie.

Pulp Fiction was legitimately revolutionary when it was released, though. Sure, it's shallow and indulgent and that's why kids love it, but it's also a genuine formal and structural marvel. Can't really say the same of the other two.

Those three are all very good but if they're in your top five it just gives the impression you haven't actually found your own tastes yet. Sort of like people who think they're way above pop music since they started listening to some massively popular classic rock.

Yeah, which in and of itself is fine of course, especially if you're very young as most of the people who claim those movies as their favorites are.

Not that I know what I'm talking about though, I'm so basic I have Back to the Future and Star Wars posters in my room.

Uh, sorry this thread is for serious cineastes only, get lost normie.

The only film posters I own are for 2001 and My Neighbor Totoro so it's not like I've gotten super deep with it either.

At 1/31/16 01:12 AM, Natick wrote: the narrative aged liked milk tbh

I'd say that's true of most movies from that little late '90s microgenre of "thirtysomething white collar white dude feels ennui about turn-of-the-millennium life and rebels against it" stories (see also: American Beauty). 15 years of terrorism, recession and renewed cultural attention to systemic racism and sexism later these guys' struggles with feeling too safe and secure seem awfully quaint. That's why my favorite of these movies is Office Space. It's the only one with an appropriate sense of scale and a mature perspective, genuinely sympathizing with its protagonist's gripes while also acknowledging how petty they are.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Grey Gardens (Maysles, 1975, USA) | Letterboxd | Last.fm

BBS Signature
wolfe
wolfe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Art Lover
Response to Cinema Club 2016-02-05 12:15:42 Reply

Going to see Deadpool on Wednesday.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2016-02-05 12:37:48 Reply

At 2/5/16 12:15 PM, wolfe wrote: Going to see Deadpool on Wednesday.

I'm hoping to also see it at some point. My friends said they were down to go.

sig by JaY11
one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
Centaurora
Centaurora
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2016-02-05 14:48:14 Reply

At 2/5/16 12:37 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:

I wasn't planning on seeing it but mu friend asked me to see it with him.

#1 Dad

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2016-02-05 14:57:38 Reply

At 2/5/16 02:48 PM, Centaurora wrote:
At 2/5/16 12:37 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
I wasn't planning on seeing it but mu friend asked me to see it with him.

In my case, I brought it up because I want to see R rated action movies sell more theater tickets. What I'd really like to see when it comes out, though, is John Wick 2. I never go to the movies by myself so it's only if anyone else wants to see it. I don't go nearly as much anymore. We used to go even if we didn't really know what we wanted to see.

sig by JaY11
one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature