New Topic Respond to this Topic
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2015-03-24 06:56:48 Reply

At 3/23/15 02:51 PM, Auz wrote: I'll probably give Tokyo Godfathers a watch as well soon so I'll have seen all of Satoshi Kon's films. So far I think they're all great.

Tokyo Godfathers is brilliant. Definitely the most feel-good of Kon's films.

"I don't like facts. They get in the way of my opinions" -Kanye West
last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal

BBS Signature
EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club 2015-03-26 00:13:37 Reply

This trailer for Maggie, an upcoming zombie film, shows Arnold Schwarzenegger giving an incredibly serious performance. It certainly doesn't seem like a film where he'll be saying one-liners or anything. I'm very interested in seeing it.

Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2015-03-26 07:13:56 Reply

At 3/26/15 12:13 AM, EclecticEnnui wrote: zombie film

Pity it'll be a story we'll all have watched, read and played a hundred times already.

"I don't like facts. They get in the way of my opinions" -Kanye West
last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 48
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2015-03-26 10:05:47 Reply

Started watching Ashes & Diamonds last night and finished it off this morning (got tired half way through the film). I took a gamble on this one because I'd read that it was one of Poland's masterpiece. If that's a masterpiece, my expectations of Polish film just dropped.

Did I miss something significant or was that film basically just 2 hours of nothing? It started off well enough (despite the very dodgy death scene) and then just got less eventful from there. I'm trying to think right now what actually happened. A drunk guy emptied a fire extinguisher over party guests and... not a lot else. Oh, another dodgy death scene.

It felt like the kind of thing you'd get told to watch in school and then write an essay on. Not my kinda film. Wasn't totally naff though, the main character had some kind of weird appeal about him. Maybe it was the hipster shades.

@TheMaster I see you gave this 4.5/5 so out of curiosity, what did you like so much about this one?

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2015-03-26 18:22:26 Reply

At 3/26/15 10:05 AM, Dean wrote: @TheMaster I see you gave this 4.5/5 so out of curiosity, what did you like so much about this one?

I've no internet at the minute so wont say more as I'm on my phone, but if you're implying the death at the end is "dodgy" I think we're coming at films from completely opposite positions.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
AnOrdinaryVision
AnOrdinaryVision
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Cinema Club 2015-03-28 14:57:36 Reply

My favourite movies are, in no particular order:

Ghost in The Shell
A Clockwork Orange
Blade Runner
Fantasia
The Plague Dogs
2001: A Space Odissey
Once Upon a Time in America
The Shawshank Redemption
The Green Mile
Shining
Perfect Blue

AnOrdinaryVision
AnOrdinaryVision
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Cinema Club 2015-03-28 15:03:10 Reply

At 3/23/15 02:51 PM, Auz wrote: Watched Sennen joyû (a.k.a. Millennium Actress).

I'm a big fan of Kon's work. Have you watched Paranoia Agent? And yes, Tokyo Godfathers is very good.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2015-03-29 18:17:30 Reply

Kundo: Age of the Rampant

One of the better movies I've seen in a while. I really enjoyed it despite it being kind of uneven in tone.

sig by JaY11
one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2015-04-01 17:08:44 Reply

Watched The Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call - New Orleans.

Heard a lot of good things about this film and I can kind of see the appeal. The first half of the film was very boring in my opinion. A couple of scenes seemed very weird and random to me (the crocodile and iguana scene in particular) and the plot and characters were very cliché. The film got much better in the second half though.

I wouldn't say it's a great film or anything, but it's an okay watch overall. Best thing about it is probably Nicholas Cage's performance.

At 3/28/15 03:03 PM, AnOrdinaryVision wrote:
At 3/23/15 02:51 PM, Auz wrote: Watched Sennen joyû (a.k.a. Millennium Actress).
I'm a big fan of Kon's work. Have you watched Paranoia Agent? And yes, Tokyo Godfathers is very good.

No. I wasn't really planning on checking it out, but it does look interesting now that I'm reading up on it. So perhaps I will check it out later.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2015)

BBS Signature
EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club 2015-04-01 23:54:16 Reply

I saw It Follows with a friend. Usually after I see a film in a theatre with at least one other person, we spend a few minutes, give or take, talking about it. This film was different. On the way home, my friend and I spent most of the time talking about what we just saw. My friend was really bewildered by it. I was, too, but not as much. It Follows is a supernatural horror film, an art film, and a dramatic film about teenagers and sex. (I guess that's one way to describe it.) I think it's terrific. It definitely kept me on the edge of my seat. It looks amazing and the actors are fantastic. The music is also very neat to listen to. The film ends ambiguously and I don't have a problem with it. It's definitely much better than the ending to The Devil Inside. Anyway, It Follows is quite the film and I'd love to see it again.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2015-04-05 11:36:41 Reply

I watched the Rum Diary. Meh. Maybe if it were closer to the book, as people who've read it all say. It was so-so. Giovanni Ribisi was good in it. It was mildly amusing at times. I only watched it because it was on IFC. Apparently, they pulled a the Black Cauldron and completely removed a major character, and from what I hear, that's not the only big difference.

At 4/1/15 05:08 PM, Auz wrote: I wouldn't say it's a great film or anything, but it's an okay watch overall. Best thing about it is probably Nicholas Cage's performance.

Yeah, some people see him as a joke, but they should watch that movie and Raising Arizona. His best bad movie, though, is Drive Angry. I ain't ashamed to admit I love it.

At 3/28/15 03:03 PM, AnOrdinaryVision wrote:
No. I wasn't really planning on checking it out, but it does look interesting now that I'm reading up on it. So perhaps I will check it out later.

Paranoia Agent is a great show. Definitely watch.

sig by JaY11

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2015-04-06 14:48:52 Reply

Shit. Darren Shahlavi died a couple of months ago. I didn't know. Drug overdose. That sucks. I think I might be the only major martial arts movie fan here, so I dunno if anyone else has seen him in anything. That's another Kano killed by drugs.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004540/?ref_=nv_sr_1

sig by JaY11

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2015-04-11 20:34:03 Reply

I watched John Wick, then watched it again right after. Then, I skimmed through the best parts again before sending it out. They could make a sequel of this.

sig by JaY11

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2015-04-12 19:23:49 Reply

Maniac Cop died. @SithCorduroy

sig by JaY11

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2015-04-14 21:47:21 Reply

I watched a Million Ways to Die in the West, which was actually kinda funny. And I watched both of the Purge movies, which weren't bad. I wasn't really interested in seeing the Purge movies, but they turned out more entertaining than expected. For some reason, I suddenly got all the HBO and Cinemax channels for free... again. I imagine they'll be gone any moment... again...

sig by JaY11

BBS Signature
Natick
Natick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2015-04-15 15:24:49 Reply

just saw the holy mountain

sweet jumping jesus, what an experience

probably the best thing to see after having hardly seen any films since spring break

At 4/14/15 09:47 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I wasn't really interested in seeing the Purge movies, but they turned out more entertaining than expected. For some reason, I suddenly got all the HBO and Cinemax channels for free... again. I imagine they'll be gone any moment... again...

i thought the first was one of the biggest missed opportunities at first but i actually think doug walker made some good points about how it really just comes off as a sociopolitical commentary with nothing to commentate on, like a teenage conspiracy theorist trying to stir up fear over something that everyone already knows will never happen but he hasn't realized yet

When ever you feel powerless, just remember this.

A single one of your pubes can shut down an entire restaurant. - Conal / MOTW: O Lucky Man!

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2015-04-15 16:10:39 Reply

Watched first two films in over a month.

Man of the West was a very solid western. Gather it has a reputation as somewhat of a hidden gem, but it didn't strike me as anything particularly remarkable. Just a really enjoyable film.

Stations of the Cross blew me away. Breathtakingly beautiful on every level. Stunning to look at, and a surprisingly human and sympathetic look at fundamentalist religion. Doesn't shy away from showing how destructive these beliefs can be, but doesn't turn its authority figures into evil caricatures either. Everyone, from the priest who pushes the protagonist into her downward spiral to the overbearing mother who quashes every chance she has to stray from it comes across as human and, at their core, well meaning. It makes for a much more compelling narrative, and makes the film that much more heartbreaking.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2015-04-23 18:49:39 Reply

Geoffrey Lewis died. Seen him in lots of movies. High Plains Drifter, Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, the Devil's Rejects, Way of the Gun, Army of One etc. But the first role I ever saw him in was as Uncle Frank in Double Impact with Van Damme acting opposite himself (lol not very well) and a creepy mute Bolo Yueng. Loved that movie as a kid. Looks like he never stopped working. Also, Juliette Lewis is his daughter.

And Richard Dysart died. He was Dr. Copper in the Thing and Cogliostro in the animated Spawn series on HBO. He was also in Pale Rider, which is pretty badass. And apparently, he was in the dub of Castle in the Sky.

sig by JaY11

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2015-04-29 15:03:48 Reply

Watched Food, Inc..

It's a documentary about the American food industry. The message is pretty simple and can be summed up in one sentence:
The American food industry is controlled by a few very powerful corporations who don't care about farmers, their workers, and the health of the consumers.

It was a pretty interesting watch and I do think it conveys an important message. I can't say it was all that shocking or surprising though.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2015)

BBS Signature