00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

aniMATING just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Cinema Club

429,110 Views | 5,739 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Cinema Club 2017-05-05 15:22:36

At 5/4/17 02:01 PM, ZJ wrote: Watched 1996's Fargo last night. I'm a huge Coen Brothers so I expected I'd like this movie and I did for the most part. It certainly didn't come close to knocking off Raising Arizona as my favorite film by the Coens, but I enjoyed following the crime drama plot that the film laid out. Plus, them lampooning the Minnesota accent was pretty awesome.

Do I watch the TV series now, though?

I watched that for the first time just a couple days ago. I had mixed feeling towards the film. I've never seen Raising Arizona, but for the life of me I can't stand Nick Cage! However.. if it's a must, I'll add it to the list. My favourite film by the Coens is No Country For Old Men. It's violent, poetic, gripping, thrilling and blackly funny. Also not to mention, but Javier Bardem is brilliant.

Cinema Club

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2017-05-05 15:47:39 (edited 2017-05-05 15:49:13)

At 5/4/17 02:01 PM, ZJ wrote: Watched 1996's Fargo last night. I'm a huge Coen Brothers so I expected I'd like this movie and I did for the most part. It certainly didn't come close to knocking off Raising Arizona as my favorite film by the Coens, but I enjoyed following the crime drama plot that the film laid out. Plus, them lampooning the Minnesota accent was pretty awesome.

Do I watch the TV series now, though?

I've only seen season 1 of the TV series (each season is a separate, self-contained story) but I really enjoyed it, and it's a sequel to the film rather than an alternate timeline / reboot type thing. I might like the series more than the film actually, that type of story/setting adapted nicely.

My favourite Coen film is definitely The Big Lebowski. I've seen Fargo, No Country and Blood Simple as well and they're all good but Lebowski is a totally different type of film altogether. I like Fargo a lot and I've rewatched it a few times, but it didn't blow me away.

No Country for Old Men is a very good film but just feels like it has something missing, I don't know. It still annoys me a bit that it won best picture over There Will Be Blood, which is one of my all time favourites, but I'll concede that it's totally my fault for caring about something so meaningless as the oscars.

Blood Simple is their first film and several times I've seen it called the greatest directorial debut ever made, but that's not something I can agree with at all when we have Being John Malkovich and Reservoir Dogs. It's a decent film, but their later work is far more refined and well made. Maybe I'd like it more on a rewatch.

Response to Cinema Club 2017-05-05 18:42:19

Best Coen bros is Miller's Crossing. Or maybe No Counry.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2017-05-06 03:41:38

At 5/5/17 07:42 PM, TheQuietGamer wrote: My family rented some movies yesterday. Here's what I watched.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them - Probably the best movie I've watched recently. I love how it captured the atmosphere and fun of the first four Harry Potter movies. I had a blast with it.

How Good is Eddie Redmayne, though?

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2017-05-06 15:59:51

At 5/5/17 07:42 PM, TheQuietGamer wrote: My family rented some movies yesterday.

Hold up, people still do this? I wouldn't even know where to go to rent a film nowadays.

Response to Cinema Club 2017-05-08 11:49:12

Finished watching 13 Reasons Why.. Wow! It really gets you thinking. Stuff like that really does happen in schools.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2017-05-08 15:02:27

Hard for me to choose between No Country for Old Men and The Big Lebowski. I would probably pick the latter. I feel somewhat nostalgic about TBL since it was me and my bud's favourite film in high school.

I haven't seen anyone mention Oh Brother, Where Art Thou? yet. Might be my number 3 over Fargo.

---

I went to see Hidden Figures.

It's a decent film, though one that's mostly held up by the three main actresses since the writing is only so-so. They seem to have taken so many liberties with reality that I wonder what the preface 'based on real events' even really means.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2017-05-08 15:32:57

Anybody else use Letterboxd to catalog, rate and review movies they've seen? I recently got one so I'm a bit behind on following NG peeps on it - here's my profile

Response to Cinema Club 2017-05-08 15:59:09

Miller's Crossing is underrated, huh?

At 5/8/17 03:32 PM, sumidiotdude wrote: Anybody else use Letterboxd to catalog, rate and review movies they've seen? I recently got one so I'm a bit behind on following NG peeps on it - here's my profile

Yep, in my sig.

sig by JaY11

Letterboxd

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2017-05-09 12:32:05 (edited 2017-05-09 12:32:27)

At 5/8/17 03:59 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 5/8/17 03:32 PM, sumidiotdude wrote: Anybody else use Letterboxd to catalog, rate and review movies they've seen? I recently got one so I'm a bit behind on following NG peeps on it - here's my profile
Yep, in my sig.

Cool, just gave you a follow.

Also some girl on Letterboxd blocked me from commenting on her reviews yesterday because she posted a review for Logan saying "having the same first name as the main character makes this even more empowering" and i commented "whoaaaaa your name is wolverine????" and she deleted the comment and has blocked me altogether

Response to Cinema Club 2017-05-10 01:09:36

Honey, come quick, they're ranking the Coen brothers movies again.

1. Inside Llewyn Davis
2. The Big Lebowski
3. A Serious Man
4. O Brother, Where Art Thou?
5. Fargo

Yeah.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968, USA) | Letterboxd | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2017-05-10 09:55:40

At 5/10/17 01:09 AM, Dr-Worm wrote:
Yeah.

Just gave you a follow. How do you like the Pro features?

Response to Cinema Club 2017-05-10 13:14:27

At 5/10/17 09:55 AM, sumidiotdude wrote: Just gave you a follow. How do you like the Pro features?

They're fine. I love the year in review stuff but don't use the other features all that much. I mostly just upgraded to support the site.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Night of the Living Dead (Romero, 1968, USA) | Letterboxd | Steam

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2017-05-11 02:52:25

Do I or do I not go and see Alien: Covenant?

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2017-05-13 03:27:06

I've decided I'm curious enough to go see Alien: Covenant on Monday :)

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2017-05-15 03:23:50

Watched Alien: Covenant last night. Really enjoyed it. Bit of a slow start, but it does get a kick up the ass. Has all the goodness of past Alien films -Prometheus.

Also, keep an eye out for James Franco.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2017-05-22 15:50:21

The feature length Twin Peaks opening was baffling, unlike anything in the franchise before, and I loved it. Only concern is some of the imagery hinted at the Illuminati stuff Frost introduced in The Secret History of Twin Peaks, and I'm not really into the Masons vs Illuminati thing that had going.

Saving parts 3 and 4 for tomorrow.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2017-05-22 17:08:13

I never finished season two of Twin Peaks, nor have I seen the film, so I think I'm gonna hold off on watching the new series until I've got the full context under my belt.

I've heard positive things about the new series, so maybe I'll put catching up higher on my to-do list.

Response to Cinema Club 2017-05-22 17:14:36 (edited 2017-05-22 17:18:44)

At 5/22/17 05:08 PM, Oolaph wrote: I never finished season two of Twin Peaks, nor have I seen the film, so I think I'm gonna hold off on watching the new series until I've got the full context under my belt.

I've heard positive things about the new series, so maybe I'll put catching up higher on my to-do list.

Fire Walk With Me should be a higher priority in itself, it's fantastic. Well worth watching The Missing Pieces, which is just 90 minutes of deleted scenes stuck together, too.

Season 2 gets shaky after the reveal, but really picks up towards the end. Finale is incredibly strong.

Edit: Also, forget "the full context". It'd be utterly incomprehensible without seeing the rest first.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2017-05-22 21:45:01

At 5/9/17 12:32 PM, sumidiotdude wrote: Also some girl on Letterboxd blocked me from commenting on her reviews yesterday because she posted a review for Logan saying "having the same first name as the main character makes this even more empowering" and i commented "whoaaaaa your name is wolverine????" and she deleted the comment and has blocked me altogether

Lmao, so many people on letterboxd are absolute nutcases who will get offended or block you for nearly anything. It's almost impressive how they can interpret any statement as being aggressive. The email updates I get from the site make it very clear that they're very left-wing and open to SJW types, which has honestly really impacted my enjoyment of the site over the last year.

Not that I'm right-wing or even overly political at all but it's just exhausting when every single movie has to be scrutinised and every discussion is about sexism, racism, transphobia etc. etc. etc., not to mention people who are openly, overtly hateful toward anyone who happens to be a white male gets a free pass on there and anyone who speaks against it is liable to be deleted or banned.

Then there's the shit show of the top lists, it's gotten better but for several months all they would consist of is inflammatory bullshit like "Films the bigot in my class keeps talking about" with a bunch of ultra-popular movies like Pulp Fiction on there or "Films on which men's opinions are worthless." And of course they get hundreds of likes and comments of praise. It's just a massive political circle jerk on a fucking website where literally your only method of communication is to post reviews and lists of films.

I used to love interacting with the community on there but now I stay away from it. I still like logging films and keeping up with a few of the people I follow though.

Anyway, here's my profile: https://letterboxd.com/jackho/

I haven't been very active this year but I'll probably get back into it at some point.

At 5/11/17 02:52 AM, lumiorfo wrote: Do I or do I not go and see Alien: Covenant?

I'm obviously too late to answer but they did release two scenes (one, two) a little while back that did a good job getting me hyped. It'll be a while still before I can see it but I hope the film is much more like the second clip than the first. The dialogue seems significantly better than Prometheus but I hate how it looks like the same old slasher film re-tread, and the trailers made it look that way too. The second clip is a far more interesting concept, and follows off the best parts of Prometheus.

At 5/21/17 05:38 PM, TheQuietGamer wrote: Ouija: Origin of Evil - Hearkens back to the great horror movies of yesteryear.

Well that's certainly a surprise. I watched the original as well and honestly don't remember much other than hating it. I gave it a 1/5 at the time which is a rare score from me. Will have to put this new one on the watch list.

Oh also I watched Get Out a couple weeks back, thought it was excellent & would highly recommend. It's more of a horror film than I was expecting, but with significantly better writing and acting than you usually get from the genre.

Also also (also) I binged through 13 Reasons Why in a couple days since apparently I'm a teenage girl. Thought it was pretty good, but nothing special. Largely because I never felt invested in Hannah or her story. Clay was a bit of a blando too but got more interesting as it went on.

I actually thought this was going to be like a one-season self-contained series so the ending left me mildly annoyed (it leaves a lot unanswered, in a sequel-hook kind of way and not an 'open for interpretation' way). Not sure if I'd recommend it but everyone else who thought it looked interesting has probably seen it by now anyway.

Response to Cinema Club 2017-05-24 03:15:44

Going to go see Pirates of the Caribbean on Friday.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2017-05-27 12:47:29 (edited 2017-05-27 12:47:38)

See a second season of Top of the Lake screened at Cannes?

Didn't even know it was in production. I loved the first one.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2017-05-29 04:57:05

At 5/29/17 03:31 AM, Jurornumber3 wrote: Watched The Neon Demon.

I liked it.

The highlight of the movie was the visuals. Lots of interesting visuals will cool lighting.

Takes a real crazy turn towards the end.

Had a Lynchian vibe to it all.

This was one of my favourites of last year. It was just a beautifully mesmerising film. Also, Elle Fanning is a little cutie. I guess.

Finally got round to watching Raw. I liked it. Thought it was a bit stupid at times.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2017-05-30 20:48:14 (edited 2017-05-30 20:57:14)

At 5/27/17 10:30 AM, TheQuietGamer wrote: I watched The Blair Witch Project last night. I was surprised to find that the supernatural elements took backseat to the uncomfortable nature of just being lost in the woods. It was also very interesting to experience a horror movie where there isn't any music to build up tension. Interesting stuff.

I consider The Blair Witch Project one of the greatest horror films ever made and will challenge anyone who disagrees to a brutal one-on-one basement corner staring contest.

I also coincidentally added The Blackcoat's Daughter and I Am the Pretty Thing to my watch list the other day while looking for somewhat recent horror films. Might watch them soon.

At 5/29/17 03:31 AM, Jurornumber3 wrote: Watched The Neon Demon.

Loved this too, though I can see why it was divisive. The visuals are on a whole other level but It's otherwise so stripped down and minimal that it comes off as shallow. It's also one of the only films where I'd consider 'it's thematically weak on purpose!' to be a totally solid interpretation.

Response to Cinema Club 2017-06-01 03:49:37

I watched Baywatch last night. Absolutely pants!

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2017-06-02 08:16:52

Going to see Wonder Woman tonight :)

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2017-06-02 18:34:36

Wonder Woman was really stupid.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2017-06-07 03:31:00

Going to go see The Mummy on either Friday or Sunday.

BBS Signature

Response to Cinema Club 2017-06-10 14:42:25

At 6/9/17 05:19 PM, Jurornumber3 wrote: Also, this morning I watched a mid-80's slasher movie called The Mutilator. Although the opening credits use the title
One very memorable scene was when a girl gets the huge hook from the poster shoved up her pussy.

that sounds pretty brutal is this on netflix?

Response to Cinema Club 2017-06-11 13:08:00

Watched The Mummy. It was okay. Nothing terrible and nothing amazing. Still can't fucking stand Tom Cruise, (Only in Mission Impossible.) I'm think I'm falling in love with Sofia Boutella, I think she's a good actress.

Also, I like where there going with the monster universe or whatever there calling it.

BBS Signature