New Topic Respond to this Topic
Natick
Natick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-12-13 22:57:48 Reply

can't believe that i'm saying this but birdman is the best film i've seen all year

When ever you feel powerless, just remember this.

A single one of your pubes can shut down an entire restaurant. - Conal / MOTW: O Lucky Man!

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-12-15 20:30:48 Reply

Watched Gone Girl.

It's a very good film overall. The plot is interesting and unpredictable and I was on the edge of my seat pretty much from beginning to end. Ben Affleck and Rosamund Pike give solid performances and I think the soundtrack effectively intensified the more intense scenes.

There's two things that irked me a bit about the film though:

MASSIVE SPOILERS ALERT!

I didn't find Amy to be that believable any more in the last fifteen minutes. I can understand that she wanted revenge on her husband for cheating on her (and maybe because he wasn't quite the dream husband she had hoped for), but why go to such incredible lengths to enact this revenge? The film doesn't lay that much emphasis on the fact that she may truly be a sociopath. It seems like we're supposed to be believe she's simply a manipulative bitch, who's perfectly satisfied with spending the rest of her life with someone who's afraid of her and hates her with a passion. Why would someone want this?

There also appears to be a bit of shoddy writing with the cameras around Desi's house. Wouldn't the cops find footage of her voluntarily entering Desi's house? We never see her deleting this footage nor do we know whether the footage gets automatically deleted after several days. I suppose we just have to assume that this was the case.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 16 November 2014)

BBS Signature
Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-12-15 21:45:36 Reply

At 12/8/14 11:20 PM, Natick wrote: just re-watched the conversation and now i have to write a thematic analysis paper by thursday, @Slint

Hey, I wrote a (shitty, intro class) paper about The Conversation too!

Protip: sound does most of the formal heavy lifting in this movie, like, to an extent that's really unusual compared to most movies. You should probably talk about it.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: If... (Anderson, 1968, UK) | Letterboxd | Last.fm

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-12-16 21:00:17 (edited 2014-12-16 21:02:10) Reply

At 12/8/14 05:54 PM, Auz wrote: Watched There Will Be Blood.

Good film with excellent performances by Daniel-Day Lewis and Paul Dano. I liked the change of atmosphere halfway into the film and the last couple of scenes were brilliant.

I just watched this too and absolutely loved it. Instant favourite. Really fantastic film. Though I assume I'm probably the last person here who hadn't seen it.

I watched Punch Drunk Love about a week ago which was also pretty good, definitely and by far the best Adam Sandler performance I've seen. Inherent Vice doesn't come out here until late January so I've got plenty of time to watch Magnolia and The Master. Got pretty high hopes for all.

"I don't like facts. They get in the way of my opinions" -Kanye West
last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal

BBS Signature
EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club 2014-12-18 23:08:45 Reply

Sony probably shouldn't withhold The Interview. If this really is about terrorism, you could say that it's better to be safe than sorry, but then if people make threats regarding many other upcoming films, are you just gonna keep using that defence? If withholding The Interview isn't already ridiculous, then how many films will it take before it does become ridiculous?

Anyway, I saw Foxcatcher, which is based on a true story. It's fantastic. Steve Carell's performance as John du Pont is just amazing. I love the way the character talks and his physical appearance is impressive. Channing Tatum and Mark Ruffalo are also really good. The film takes itself quite seriously and it's definitely realistic. Visually, it often looks rather dark, but it works well for this kind of film. The story's very interesting and the ending might be pretty shocking if you don't know what John did in real life. (I knew.) Foxcatcher is easily one of my favourite films of the year.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-12-19 11:05:31 Reply

At 12/16/14 09:00 PM, Jackho wrote:
At 12/8/14 05:54 PM, Auz wrote: Watched There Will Be Blood.

Good film with excellent performances by Daniel-Day Lewis and Paul Dano. I liked the change of atmosphere halfway into the film and the last couple of scenes were brilliant.
I just watched this too and absolutely loved it. Instant favourite. Really fantastic film. Though I assume I'm probably the last person here who hadn't seen it.

I saw that in the theater. That was the first year I watched the Oscars on TV from beginning to end because of that and No Country For Old Men. Was glad Bardem and DDL won.

At 12/18/14 11:08 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: Sony probably shouldn't withhold The Interview. If this really is about terrorism, you could say that it's better to be safe than sorry, but then if people make threats regarding many other upcoming films, are you just gonna keep using that defence? If withholding The Interview isn't already ridiculous, then how many films will it take before it does become ridiculous?

Some theaters were gonna show Team America instead but I guess they couldn't do that either.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-12-19 13:43:38 Reply

At 12/19/14 11:05 AM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 12/18/14 11:08 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: Sony probably shouldn't withhold The Interview. If this really is about terrorism, you could say that it's better to be safe than sorry, but then if people make threats regarding many other upcoming films, are you just gonna keep using that defence?
Some theaters were gonna show Team America instead but I guess they couldn't do that either.

Apparently, George R.R. Martin said he would like to screen the Interview at his theater in New Mexico.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
Natick
Natick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-12-19 14:11:14 Reply

At 12/19/14 01:43 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Apparently, George R.R. Martin said he would like to screen the Interview at his theater in New Mexico.

the jean cocteau? i was just there in october

Cinema Club

A single one of your pubes can shut down an entire restaurant. - Conal / MOTW: O Lucky Man!

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-12-21 19:55:56 Reply

I watched How To Train Your Dragon 2.

The action scenes and the animation are pretty good, but I didn't care much for it otherwise. The plot is fairly generic and lazily written. Valka seemed liked an interesting character initially, but unfortunately it was immediately revealed who she was and she was quickly reduced to being a supportive bystander. I read she was supposed to be the villain which probably would've been much better than Drago, who had nothing interesting about him whatsoever.

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-12-22 11:03:56 Reply

So now that Peter Jackson has finished fanwanking Tolkien maybe he'll return to his true masterpiece and give us Dead Alive 2. Strictly practical effects and new zealand accents only.

At 12/21/14 07:55 PM, Auz wrote: I watched How To Train Your Dragon 2

Have you seen the first one? Easily my favourite recent animated film. Second was fairly whatever but I enjoyed it.

BBS Signature
Natick
Natick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-12-23 20:43:26 Reply

just finished under the skin

easily my favorite soundtrack of the year. mica levi's dark ambient score is absolutely bone-chilling and does a great job of conveying the unseen horror throughout most of the film. does a great job of portraying sex and intimacy through the perspective of an alien. my only criticism right now is that some of the shots tend to drag on much longer than what feels necessary but that's probably all the slow films i've been seeing lately getting to me. i also don't understand the ending yet

Cinema Club

BBS Signature
Sectus
Sectus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Writer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-12-23 21:18:21 Reply

I am well aware that this has already been mentioned in the thread in Politics, but I felt it relevant to ask for opinions here as well. The Interview has been announced for a release on Christmas Day once again, according to multiple news outlets. For the sake of brevity, I will include only one news article. If you are interested, there are plenty more on google news.

How do we all feel about this? I know the film was, according to critics, pretty shoddy, but I think it will have a decent turn out simply due to the controversy it has inspired.

Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-12-24 07:10:01 Reply

At 12/22/14 11:03 AM, Jackho wrote:
At 12/21/14 07:55 PM, Auz wrote: I watched How To Train Your Dragon 2
Have you seen the first one? Easily my favourite recent animated film. Second was fairly whatever but I enjoyed it.

I've seen the first one about the time when it came out, but I can't remember much of it.

I believe I thought it was pretty good, but it was mostly visually impressive. I've heard people saying HTTYD is on the same level as Pixar's and Disney's best or even better, but I don't remember it being that good. Even amongst Dreamwork films, I remember liking Shrek 2 and Kungfu Panda better.

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-12-26 20:05:23 Reply

Rewatched Equilibrium. Still dumb as shit, still loved it.

BBS Signature