Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-09-23 22:31:16 Reply

At 9/23/14 05:37 PM, Dean wrote:
At 9/23/14 05:17 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I love all of those. I still end up rewatching Willow and Labyrinth all the time.
Actually just got done watching Labyrinth. Really good film. I think the sets are what I like most though. I'd take that over super realistic looking CGI any day. When I see sets like these, I instantly wish I could explore them myself and I guess that's why I like films like these so much. They bring out the kid in me.

The sets and the puppetry are both excellent. Well, maybe except for those dancing red guys. On the podcast, Hollywood Babble On with Kevin Smith and Ralph Garman, they keep impersonating Ludo, but they keep getting the line wrong. That probably shouldn't irk me...

Also glad to hear you like Willow so much. It's the film that I was most anxious about seeing again. I remember seeing some of it year ago in school. Was one of those end of term days where the teacher wheeled in a TV and put on whatever VHS tape was in the room. Remember wanting to go back and see the rest of the film, so hope it holds up. Watched a trailer for it the other day and wasn't convinced, but we'll see.

Willow rules. That's probably one of the movies I've watched the most amount of times in my life along with Krull, Clash of the Titans, Jason and the Argonauts and Home Alone.

I think tomorrow night I'll watch The Dark Crystal.

What a bugged out movie. I had forgotten how creepy it was before I showed it to my niece because I hadn't seen it since I was a little kid. I felt so bad because it gave her nightmares. But it's a good movie.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
Jolly
Jolly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Programmer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-09-23 23:18:13 Reply

I re-watched Chronicle last night. I really like the movie and it seems to have had a lot of potential.

SPOILERS

I think the direction the film ended up going it was a little lame though. I wish the film ended up just being 3 guys hanging out and not having one of them becoming an evil twat. Just like every other movie ever.

/SPOILERS

wolfe
wolfe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-09-24 11:35:15 Reply

Want to see, The Equalizer!

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-09-25 13:42:51 Reply

So I did end up watching The Dark Crystal last night and while it was a good movie on the whole, it just didn't feel as good as it maybe would have if I hadn't watched Labyrinth the night before. Labyrinth is a similar sort of film but just feels better on the whole. The Dark Crystal felt sort of slow at parts and I just didn't find it as interesting. Still a really cool film in terms of the sets / puppets / costumes though. Really liked the style, just wasn't quite as entertaining.

Unsure if I want to watch Willow tonight or go for something a bit different and watch either Beetlejuice or Coraline. Still planning on watching LotR this weekend so don't want to burn myself out on fantasy adventure films.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
argile
argile
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club 2014-09-25 20:51:17 Reply

At 9/22/14 03:13 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 9/21/14 08:59 PM, argile wrote: Toxic Avenger 2 was really retarded There was to much slap stick , unapologetic humour isn't really tongue and cheek.It was Much like watching a Saturday morning cartoon.
Sounds like the first one. That, one I saw. I haven't watched the others. Didn't Tom Fulp get killed in Citizen Toxie?

Yeah Tom Fulp did appear in the fourth film but I don't remember which part had him in there.The First Toxic Avenger was a little more darker I think.

elitegamer11
elitegamer11
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-09-26 15:09:55 Reply

is anyone else excited for the Warcraft movie? cause i am!

BBS Signature
Nebula
Nebula
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-09-27 03:02:40 Reply

At 9/23/14 11:18 PM, Jolly wrote: I re-watched Chronicle last night. I really like the movie and it seems to have had a lot of potential.

SPOILERS

I think the direction the film ended up going it was a little lame though. I wish the film ended up just being 3 guys hanging out and not having one of them becoming an evil twat. Just like every other movie ever.

/SPOILERS

Only thing that bothered me was the constantly changing cameras, i wanted to see the guys duke it out but oh well.

TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2014-09-27 12:33:34 Reply

I saw that new Cronenberg film, Maps to the Stars.

Reviews have been pretty middling but I really liked it. Not up there with the likes of The Fly or Videodrome, but it's weird, full of great performances, looks gorgeous and has a dark sense of humour that works really well.

Definitely worth a watch.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-09-29 14:24:24 Reply

I was on track to watch the extended LotR trilogy over the weekend but just never got around to watching Return of the King. Been really enjoying the trilogy and hoping it wont be too long before I get a chance to watch Return of the King. It's just so long that I'd pretty much need to get home from work, start watching it as soon as I've had dinner then pretty much go straight to bed when it's done so that I can be up for work in the morning. Might be able to get it watched on Wednesday night, but that'll be my last chance for a week because I'm away on holiday.

Also watched Beetlejuice fairly recently too. Really enjoyed it but I felt that for a film called Beetlejuice it could have done with more Beetlejuice. It just never really felt like he got all that much screen time to me and I'd have looked him to have had more. Definitely something I'll watch again.

Probably give Coraline a watch tonight seeing as it's not too long. Already seen it a few times but it's one of those films I never thought I'd like all that much and then found myself really enjoying it.

Was looking for a copy of Dawn of the Dead (1978) on Blu-ray the other week until I saw the prices of it. Could get it cheap on DVD but I just don't really want to start getting DVDs again :(

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-09-29 19:47:32 Reply

At 9/29/14 02:24 PM, Dean wrote: Was looking for a copy of Dawn of the Dead (1978) on Blu-ray the other week until I saw the prices of it. Could get it cheap on DVD but I just don't really want to start getting DVDs again :(

Would it really matter, though, with movies that weren't filmed in HD?

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2014-09-30 13:39:23 Reply

At 9/29/14 07:47 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Would it really matter, though, with movies that weren't filmed in HD?

Anything shot on film exists in better than "HD" quality.

You can pick up more detail by scanning 35mm at higher resolutions, up until about 8K, where going higher doesn't reveal any more information. Same with 16mm, but you only need to go to around 4K.

The only films that only exist in sub-HD formats are those shot on video tape, or those filmed digitally at low resolutions.

This will only really be an issue when we've all got 4K/8K TVs and we're trying to watch films shot digitally in 1080p or 2K. You can't rescan a digital file, it just exists as is.

BBS Signature
Toastie
Toastie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2014-09-30 15:28:41 Reply

I had a pretty crappy day personally so i'm gonna kick it in bed with one of my fav movies, True Romance ^^

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-09-30 17:33:27 Reply

At 9/30/14 01:39 PM, TheMaster wrote:
At 9/29/14 07:47 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:

Hmm. Didn't know about that.

At 9/30/14 03:28 PM, Toastie wrote: I had a pretty crappy day personally so i'm gonna kick it in bed with one of my fav movies, True Romance ^^

Good movie. I haven't seen it in forever, but I have it.

Speaking of which

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-10-02 20:21:12 Reply

I watched Batman: Assault on Arkham. The title is misleading because Batman isn't the main character. It's all about the Suicide Squad, especially Deadshot. It was pretty good. Kinda weird, though, because it's basically R rated material, moreso than Son of Batman. We see a few head explosions and a guy getting impaled through the head with a grappling hook. Joker picks up a severed head and talks to it. And I won't say who, but some characters get killed off, which is surprising. I'm not sure where it fits in the continuity of the Arkham video games, but I know it's part of that story, which you can tell early on with beer bottle eye Penguin. Anyway, good to see a decent DC animated movie again after the letdown and canon fuck up that was Son of Batman. Plus, Kevin Conroy played Batman again. They didn't get Mark Hamill, but the guy doing the Joker's voice does quite an impression of him.

BBS Signature
wolfe
wolfe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-10-03 06:27:41 Reply

Anyone seen A Walk Amogst The Tombstones? Want to know if it's any good.

Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-10-04 10:36:23 Reply

Finally found an opportunity to watch 12 Years a Slave.

I can see why it won the Best Picture Oscar. Overall it's a good drama film with solid acting performances and it tells an impressive story. The cinematography was excellent and I think the brutality and the unfairness of slavery were portrayed quite 'nicely'.

The only thing is that perhaps it doesn't really add much to existing films about slavery. You mostly see Solomon getting moved from one slave owner to the other, he witnesses all the brutality and ultimately finds a way to escape, which is nothing too new. In that regard, I actually liked Django: Unchained better because it's a more original take on the genre. I know 12 Years a Slave is based on a true story so they didn't have much freedom with the writing, but perhaps they could've highlighted some other parts of Solomon's life as well.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 10 August 2014)

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-10-04 18:35:44 Reply

Viewed some moving pictures recently.

Cinema

Let's Be Cops
This was actually alright. The opening scene almost made me leave but once it picked up it turned out to be pretty funny, and really started to shine when it turned into more of an action movie toward the end. It's definitely not Hot Fuzz or even 21 Jump Street but as a forgettable late-summer "who gives a shit" kind of movie I was far from disappointed.

Not-so-cinema

Synecdoche, New York
This was a tough one and something I'll definitely need to watch again to wrap my head around. I love everything else I've seen from Charlie Kaufman, but they've always been fairly grounded and with clearly defined sci fi concepts, but this one just feels like an incomprehensible mess at times that doesn't care about making sense or allowing the audience to keep up. Even so there seems to be a massive amount of detail in it, the soundtrack and acting are fantastic and even when nothing makes sense it's hard not be sucked in and to empathise with these characters even when their situations can seem so far removed from anything relatable.

Small spoilers ahead. One thing I noticed just upon watching the first few minutes again is how the dates are constantly changing, every time Kaden looks at the newspaper the date has moved forward, and when looking at the milk he claims it's expired even though the date on it is a few days ahead etc., showing that weeks are passing even though from Kaden's (and the audience's) perspective it feels like minutes. Then you have his daughter in the car asking if it's tuesday when it's friday. That's a line I didn't think about at all the first time through but clearly it's suggesting that Olive was picking up Kaden's faults and that's probably why his first wife left. The wife and Maria were portrayed as the closest thing to villains in this movie but now I'm not sure if Kaden was any better. I don't think I've seen anything else that forced you to pay close attention to the environments because the character(s) were unreliable.

Honestly half the movie probably flew right over my head since I wasn't expecting it to be near as challenging and was already well into it before I realized how complicated it is. I'll need to give it another full watch and probably go through Kaufman's other films as well. Eternal Sunshine and Being John Malkovich have been some of my favorite movies for a long time, but I think this one might be his best work, even if it's not his most enjoyable (if that makes sense).

In the Mood for Love
I tried watching this once before a long ass time ago but only got about half way. This is one of those films I'd love even if it had no plot at all. I love the fashion, the lighting, the interior design. You'd be forgiven for thinking it really was filmed in 1962. The way everything is shot is almost claustrophobic but makes you feel so close to the characters. Whether it's in the corridors of the apartment building or the open streets it's a constant series of narrow shots, always focusing on small details rather than the entire scene. It's hard to describe but this film has this unique feeling of "closeness" that leaves you longing for it again once it ends. The story itself is just beautiful in how restrained it is throughout. It reminded me of 5 Centimeters Per Second, another film I've been wanting to rewatch and I now realize must have been largely influenced by In the Mood for Love.

Next I'll probably watch The Raid 2. Been hyped for that since the first trailer but I've put off watching it because of the run time.

last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal / follow me if you think you can handle it

BBS Signature
EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club 2014-10-05 21:17:23 Reply

David Fincher's Gone Girl is absolutely crazy and riveting. You may find yourself watching it with your eyes wide open and thinking "WTF?" I was still sitting in the theatre after the end credits were over. Even when I left and went to my car to drive home, I just sat in the car for a bit. The film is that incredible. It's definitely well-acted, especially from Rosamund Pike. Before seeing it, I was wondering about Tyler Perry's performance, but I don't think he was miscast. He's quite convincing. The film also has this very nice look to it. I'm predicting it'll be nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars.

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-10-11 08:42:15 Reply

Finished the extended editions of the Lord of the Rings trilogy last night. First time I've watched it the whole way through in a long time and I really did enjoy it. I thought I'd end up struggling with the length of the films but at no point did I ever feel bored with them. It has me wanting to see what The Hobbit films are like now, but I've not heard particularly great things again.

Think I'll probably end up watching Willow today or one of my remaining Hitchcock films.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2014-10-11 17:14:19 Reply

At 10/5/14 09:17 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: David Fincher's Gone Girl is absolutely crazy and riveting.

Yeah, I saw that in the cinema today knowing nothing about it, it was just on straight after something else I wanted to see, and it fucked with my expectations right the way through.

Similar experience to Cold in July earlier this year. Both films let you think they're something they're not, give you a hint that something else might be going on, and just when you think you've got it worked out it pulls the rug out from under you again. Really enjoyed it, and I'm not the biggest Fincher fan in the world.

Also saw '71 and Tony Benn: Will and Testament today.

'71 is a pretty by the numbers thriller. Northern Ireland during the Troubles is quite a novel setting for it, but the whole soldier behind enemy lines thing has been done to death, and it doesn't do anything particularly interesting with it. That said it's got some strong performances, and what it does it does well. Decent enough film.

Will and Testament was fantastic. Heartbreaking in places, hopeful in others, and funny throughout. Benn is such a fascinating, captivating figure that the rest of the documentary hardly matters. If you've letting him talk, you're going to produce gold. The rest is so much window dressing. It's a fantastic tribute to the man.

BBS Signature
wolfe
wolfe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-10-16 07:46:14 Reply

Saw The Equalizer last Thursday and it was so cool. Such an awesome film.

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-10-18 12:00:30 Reply

Got a nice little pile of films to watch this weekend, or whenever I get around to watching them.

Taxi Driver
One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest
A Clockwork Orange

Of the three, Clockwork Orange is the only one I've seen before and even then, only once. Not sure if I saw the entire thing or not. My memory of it, aside from a couple of scenes, is pretty hazy.

Particularly looking forward to seeing One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest. I quite like Jack Nicholson, even if most of his characters that I've seen feel a bit samey. Will probably give it a watch later tonight.

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-10-19 05:48:02 Reply

At 10/18/14 12:00 PM, Dean wrote: Particularly looking forward to seeing One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest.

So I watched it and thought it was a fantastic film. Decided it deserved a spot on my top 4 films on Letterboxd. That means there's two Jack Nicholson films on there now although I always have a hard time picking favorites when it comes to anything.

Really enjoyed One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest though. I thought it was going to be a much darker/brutal film than it actually was, although it definitely has it's moments. My prediction of the ending was way off too, although I'm glad I was wrong in a sense because the ending definitely gave the film more weight.

Undecided on whether I'll watch Taxi Driver or A Clockwork Orange today. Might even try to get Alfred Hitchcock's Torn Curtain over and done with, seeing as I gather it's not regarded highly but I want to watch his films in the order they were released, so I need to get it out of the way in order to move on.

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-10-19 13:01:10 Reply

Watched Boyhood.

It is a nice portrayal of what growing up in the 00's is like (at least for young Americans) and the fact that this was a 12 year long project is quite impressive.

However, I'm not sure if it is really that special beyond "it was a 12 year project" though. All in all, it seems like a regular coming-of-age drama film to me and, to be honest, I wonder if I'll even remember Boyhood by next year. There's nothing particularly memorable happening in this film as far as I could see. It just shows the normal life of an ordinary American kid growing up in the 00's and that's pretty much all it does. It doesn't seem to make any points, it doesn't really try to tell us anything about our generation, it doesn't dive deeper into themes like the effects of parent divorce, it just shows things and leaves it up to the viewers to make of it what they want I guess.

I just don't really get the hype. It's certainly not a bad film, but I think it has nothing that will make it truly memorable.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 10 August 2014)

BBS Signature
wolfe
wolfe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-10-20 03:59:08 Reply

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles was Meh.