Nebula
Nebula
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 15
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-11-02 09:39:44 Reply

So i watched a bunch of Gyllenhaal's movies to get ready for Nightcrawler. Zodiac, Donnie Darko, and Enemy.

Letterboxd
Discord:Digitalstardust

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-11-02 10:19:52 Reply

Recently got done watching the first 3 Indiana Jones films. It's one of those well known series that I've just never seen before. Undecided on whether I preferred Raiders of the Lost Ark or The Last Crusade more. Temple of Doom was good but I just didn't enjoy it as much as the other two films.

Also watched the Three Flavours Cornetto trilogy. Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz were re-watched but that was the first time I've seen The Worlds End, which I actually didn't even know existed. Always thought I liked Shaun more than Hot Fuzz but after re-watching them, Hot Fuzz definitely felt like the better film. Shaun of the Dead has it's moments, but Hot Fuzz seems consistently good. Went into The Worlds End knowing nothing about it. Seemed like it was going to be a fun film and then suddenly they're taking heads off of people. Didn't see that coming. Good film like, just hard for me to compare it to the other two films because this one felt different.

BBS Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-11-02 10:48:50 Reply

At 11/2/14 09:16 AM, argile wrote:
At 11/2/14 06:55 AM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 11/1/14 07:07 PM, argile wrote:
Seen some hints from the reviews on Imdb that it is and the Ewoks are supposedly was supposedly the deal breaker for ROTJ.

Oh, they're all good. The Empire Strikes Back is just the best one.

sig by JaY11
one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-11-03 18:40:39 (edited 2014-11-03 18:40:57) Reply

At 11/2/14 10:48 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: Oh, they're all good. The Empire Strikes Back is just the best one.

I agree, but I also think Return of the Jedi is a pretty distant 3rd place. I still enjoy it, but the first two are masterpieces and Return definitely feels like the beginning of the downfall. Always a bit of a head-scratcher when someone proudly says ROTJ is their favorite star wars or favorite film when the magnum opus is right there beside it.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-11-03 19:39:38 Reply

I watched C.H.U.D, which was a somewhat fun crappy movie. I enjoyed it a little. What was great was watching it again with the commentary, though. Might be the best DVD commentary ever. If any of you want to see this movie, you gotta get the DVD with the commentary with the director, the writer, John Heard, Daniel Stern and the guy that played the cop. Funny shit.

I watched a bunch of movies through October, but I only mentioned them in the horror challenge thread. My favorite out of all of them was the Blob (1988). Can't believe I lived that long without seeing it until then. Also particularly liked the Conjuring, Insidious, Creepshow and the Frighteners. I sorta ranked them in groups here.

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/1375551/9#bbspost25280820_post_text

At 11/2/14 09:39 AM, Nebula wrote: Gyllenhaal's movies

YOU WANT FIVE HUNDRED DORRA?!

At 11/2/14 10:19 AM, Dean wrote: Recently got done watching the first 3 Indiana Jones films. It's one of those well known series that I've just never seen before. Undecided on whether I preferred Raiders of the Lost Ark or The Last Crusade more. Temple of Doom was good but I just didn't enjoy it as much as the other two films.

Pretty much what I think. Crusade and Raiders might be tied for me.

Good film like, just hard for me to compare it to the other two films because this one felt different.

I loved the World's End, but I think the other two are better. Not sure which is the best, though.

At 11/3/14 06:40 PM, Jackho wrote:
At 11/2/14 10:48 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: Oh, they're all good. The Empire Strikes Back is just the best one.
I agree, but I also think Return of the Jedi is a pretty distant 3rd place. I still enjoy it, but the first two are masterpieces and Return definitely feels like the beginning of the downfall. Always a bit of a head-scratcher when someone proudly says ROTJ is their favorite star wars or favorite film when the magnum opus is right there beside it.

Nobody ever picks a New Hope, I noticed.

Return did have some great parts. The whole beginning is pretty awesome.

sig by JaY11

BBS Signature
Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 21
Musician
Response to Cinema Club 2014-11-03 20:21:29 (edited 2014-11-03 20:22:07) Reply

At 11/3/14 07:39 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Nobody ever picks a New Hope, I noticed.

Funny, because I was just about to chime in and say that the first Star Wars is my favourite.

I feel like the only complaint I could have with Star Wars is that a bit of the Death Star shenanigans can be lacking. The films first and second acts are wonderful and the climax of the film is brilliantly done as well. As fantastic as Empire is, I think the second act is a bit weak, and that's not good for the flow of the film. It also doesn't have a satisfying conclusion and relies on the other two films to bookend it.

As for Return of the Jedi, I do think it's the weakest of the three, but I don't think it's as extreme as people make it out to be. The fight between Luke and Vader in Jedi is my favourite Star Wars scene of all time, but the rest of the high points don't quite make it to the heights the other films had, and it also has the lowest points of the trilogy. I don't mind the Ewoks at all, though. So maybe that's a big reason for me liking it more than most people.

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-11-04 12:34:41 Reply

At 11/3/14 07:39 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
Nobody ever picks a New Hope, I noticed.

It's actually pretty close between Empire and the original for me, they're both masterpieces.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-11-05 17:39:49 Reply

At 11/3/14 08:21 PM, Oolaph wrote:
At 11/3/14 07:39 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Nobody ever picks a New Hope, I noticed.

Funny, because I was just about to chime in and say that the first Star Wars is my favourite.

I feel like the only complaint I could have with Star Wars is that a bit of the Death Star shenanigans can be lacking. The films first and second acts are wonderful and the climax of the film is brilliantly done as well. As fantastic as Empire is, I think the second act is a bit weak, and that's not good for the flow of the film. It also doesn't have a satisfying conclusion and relies on the other two films to bookend it.

Wut. The second act is way strong. That cliffhanger, Han getting frozen, the lightsaber duel with Vader, Luke losing his hand and falling etc. And it includes THE single most iconic scene in the entire franchise.

sig by JaY11

BBS Signature
Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 21
Musician
Response to Cinema Club 2014-11-05 18:27:48 Reply

At 11/5/14 05:39 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Wut. The second act is way strong. That cliffhanger, Han getting frozen, the lightsaber duel with Vader, Luke losing his hand and falling etc. And it includes THE single most iconic scene in the entire franchise.

Those are all right at the end of the film, do you consider Empire to only have two acts or something?

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-11-06 15:20:00 Reply

@TheMaster, can I get some of your opinions on why Apocalypse Now is so great?

I watched it the other night and sure, it was a decent watch but I never quite saw what makes it one of the best films ever. Right from the start you're basically told what's going to happen. I never felt like it deviated from the plan much. Guy gets given a mission to kill someone so he goes and kills him. There's no real obstacle in his way aside from a few minor inconveniences.

Rated it 4.5/5 on Letterboxd but I feel like I probably should have given it a 4.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2014-11-06 15:55:14 Reply

At 11/6/14 03:20 PM, Dean wrote: @TheMaster, can I get some of your opinions on why Apocalypse Now is so great?

The plot is basically irrelevant. It's the way it explores different kinds of madness, both of almost every character and of Vietnam itself, that I love.

Looking and sounding gorgeous doesn't hurt, either. One classic sequence would be more than enough to expect from a film, but Apocalypse Now has three. The silhouetted helicopters, the helicopter attack on the Vietnamese village and the climactic scenes with The Doors playing while WIllard butchers Kurtz are all flawless.

It's almost a road movie. Destination doesn't matter, the journey does. That string of individuals moments along the way.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-11-06 16:05:51 Reply

At 11/6/14 03:55 PM, TheMaster wrote: The plot is basically irrelevant. It's the way it explores different kinds of madness

I see you don't have One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest listed on Letterboxd. You'd probably like it if you haven't already seen it. Granted, it's not really the same thing but I guess it deals with some similar issues. AND it has a pretty good plot.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2014-11-06 17:09:02 Reply

At 11/6/14 04:05 PM, Dean wrote:
At 11/6/14 03:55 PM, TheMaster wrote: The plot is basically irrelevant. It's the way it explores different kinds of madness
I see you don't have One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest listed on Letterboxd. You'd probably like it if you haven't already seen it. Granted, it's not really the same thing but I guess it deals with some similar issues. AND it has a pretty good plot.

Asylum crazy isn't the sort of insanity that fascinates me, but it is something I've always meant to watch.

Maybe I just like people going crazy in the jungle. Aguirre is my favourite of all time, and Fitzcarraldo is up there too.

Plot is never something I've really gotten worked up over in films, actually. Much more concerned about the "feel" of the picture than the story. Not really sure how to put what I enjoy into words.

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-11-06 17:15:39 Reply

At 11/6/14 03:20 PM, Dean wrote: @TheMaster, can I get some of your opinions on why Apocalypse Now is so great?

I watched it the other night and sure, it was a decent watch but I never quite saw what makes it one of the best films ever. Right from the start you're basically told what's going to happen. I never felt like it deviated from the plan much. Guy gets given a mission to kill someone so he goes and kills him. There's no real obstacle in his way aside from a few minor inconveniences.

Rated it 4.5/5 on Letterboxd but I feel like I probably should have given it a 4.

Did you watch the original or the redux (long) version?

The redux version has a few extra rather pointless scenes from what I remember.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 1 September 2016)

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2014-11-06 17:29:31 Reply

At 11/6/14 05:15 PM, Auz wrote: Did you watch the original or the redux (long) version?

The redux version has a few extra rather pointless scenes from what I remember.

All Redux really adds is the French plantation scene, which is really cool but fucking destroys the pacing.

There's some other sequences that are reordered for some reason, too.

It's a weird one. Worth a watch, but certainly weaker than the theatrical cut.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-11-06 19:00:58 Reply

At 11/6/14 05:09 PM, TheMaster wrote:
At 11/6/14 04:05 PM, Dean wrote:
Asylum crazy isn't the sort of insanity that fascinates me, but it is something I've always meant to watch.

I'm surprised you haven't seen it. Good movie.

Maybe I just like people going crazy in the jungle. Aguirre is my favourite of all time, and Fitzcarraldo is up there too.

Those are really great. It's mindblowing seeing them drag that ship.

Plot is never something I've really gotten worked up over in films, actually. Much more concerned about the "feel" of the picture than the story. Not really sure how to put what I enjoy into words.

This is why Vampire Hunter D and Fantastic Planet are among my favorite movies while most other people probably don't think that much of them (also surrealism).

sig by JaY11

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-11-06 22:21:51 Reply

At 11/6/14 05:09 PM, TheMaster wrote: Plot is never something I've really gotten worked up over in films, actually. Much more concerned about the "feel" of the picture than the story. Not really sure how to put what I enjoy into words.

I totally agree with this, and I've never really been able to phrase it properly either. Movies as an art form are just about "feel", as in mood, atmosphere and visuals. As long as you have those down the film can be about anything and (within reason) it'll be a good film. Although that doesn't mean everyone is going to enjoy it.

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-11-07 02:25:31 Reply

At 11/6/14 05:15 PM, Auz wrote: Did you watch the original or the redux (long) version?

I watched the theatrical version. Running time of the Redux version was quite off-putting, plus I'd been told not to watch that version first.

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-11-07 17:49:12 Reply

I went to see Interstellar this evening.

Definitely an interesting film that I would highly recommend to anyone. I didn't like the first 90 minutes much, but the second half of the film makes up for it. It's probably best to go see this one in the cinema because of the awesome cinematography.

One thing I found interesting: The soundtrack sounded very much inspired by Koyaanisqatsi (Phillip Glass). I really liked it.

At 11/7/14 02:25 AM, Dean wrote:
I watched the theatrical version. Running time of the Redux version was quite off-putting, plus I'd been told not to watch that version first.

I would not recommend it either. Like TheMaster said, it's weaker than the theatrical version and it's just 45 minutes of mostly redundant scenes that are added to the already substantial running time of the original.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2014-11-08 15:43:37 Reply

At 11/7/14 05:49 PM, Auz wrote: I went to see Interstellar this evening.

I saw that today.

Really frustrating film. There's a great 100-120 minute film somewhere in there, but there's so much filler bullshit in the middle that it ends up being a chore to watch. It starts and ends incredibly well, everything before Cooper goes to space and after Matt Damon gets exploded is spot on, but the stuff in between is just dreadful.

It just feels like a concession to the genre. It's a big budget sci-fi blockbuster, so we have to cram some exploding spaceships and crazy water CGI action in there. Don't get me started on Matt Damon's character, who feels entirely out of place, like he's been lifted out of a much dumber movie and dropped down into this one.

It's a bunch of boring filler that gets in the way of the real story, which is the relationship between Cooper and Murph. If the film had kept it's focus it could have been great, as it is I'm not even sure I can say I enjoyed it, despite how much I loved parts of it in isolation.

It's probably best to go see this one in the cinema because of the awesome cinematography.

You get to see it in 35mm? Cinema I saw it at was hyping that up as a big deal, but it didn't do a whole lot for me. We're at the stage where digital is as good as 35mm, so it was more of a novelty than anything else. Have only ever seen older prints shown like that before, but with a new, clean one I might not even have noticed had it not been pointed out. Not like getting to see something in 70mm, which is still an incredible experience.

I also went to see Nightcrawler, which was a much more solid film. Nothing spectacular, but a really strong performance from Gyllenhaal is more than enough to carry it.

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-11-08 18:13:18 (edited 2014-11-08 18:14:36) Reply

At 11/7/14 05:49 PM, Auz wrote: I didn't like the first 90 minutes much, but the second half of the film makes up for it.
90 minutes
second half

Surely you realize how ridiculous and off-putting this sounds. What world are we living in and how do I get home?

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-11-08 18:21:09 Reply

At 11/8/14 03:43 PM, TheMaster wrote:
At 11/7/14 05:49 PM, Auz wrote: I went to see Interstellar this evening.
I saw that today.

Really frustrating film. There's a great 100-120 minute film somewhere in there, but there's so much filler bullshit in the middle that it ends up being a chore to watch. It starts and ends incredibly well, everything before Cooper goes to space and after Matt Damon gets exploded is spot on, but the stuff in between is just dreadful.

It just feels like a concession to the genre. It's a big budget sci-fi blockbuster, so we have to cram some exploding spaceships and crazy water CGI action in there. Don't get me started on Matt Damon's character, who feels entirely out of place, like he's been lifted out of a much dumber movie and dropped down into this one.

It's a bunch of boring filler that gets in the way of the real story, which is the relationship between Cooper and Murph. If the film had kept it's focus it could have been great, as it is I'm not even sure I can say I enjoyed it, despite how much I loved parts of it in isolation.

Hmm. I actually thought the film got more interesting again when they got to Matt Damon. I was getting a bit tired of all the drama between the point where Cooper left Murphy to where they arrived at Dr. Mann's planet. I felt like that whole sequence on the water planet could have been cut entirely.

But yeah, perhaps the film should have focussed more on either the father-daughter relationship or on the "survival of mankind" plot. They did seem to distract from each other a bit.

It's probably best to go see this one in the cinema because of the awesome cinematography.
You get to see it in 35mm? Cinema I saw it at was hyping that up as a big deal, but it didn't do a whole lot for me. We're at the stage where digital is as good as 35mm, so it was more of a novelty than anything else. Have only ever seen older prints shown like that before, but with a new, clean one I might not even have noticed had it not been pointed out. Not like getting to see something in 70mm, which is still an incredible experience.

Not as far as I know. I think they only had a regular version and an IMAX version at my cinema. I went to the regular screening.

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-11-08 18:31:40 Reply

At 11/8/14 06:13 PM, Jackho wrote:
At 11/7/14 05:49 PM, Auz wrote: I didn't like the first 90 minutes much, but the second half of the film makes up for it.
90 minutes
second half
Surely you realize how ridiculous and off-putting this sounds. What world are we living in and how do I get home?

Sorry, I'm not entirely sure what you mean here.

Do you mean the length of the film? If so: Yes, it's 169 minutes long. It didn't feel like (almost) three hours to me though; I've sat through shorter films that seemed longer.

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-11-09 07:44:52 Reply

I got The Evil Dead Trilogy recently and watched the first film last night. I thought it was going to be more black comedy than just straight up horror but actually rather liked it and I'm not really someone who watches many horror films. Looking forward to seeing the next two films, although I notice they both have lower age ratings than the original, so I guess that means they're going to be a bit different.

Some of the possession scenes were pretty freaky. Ash's girlfriend in particular for me. There's something creepy about turning around and seeing someone appear, sat on the floor with a weird facial expression and creepy laugh.

It's actually quite a nice box set though. Plenty of extras and documentaries on these discs.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2014-11-09 07:49:23 Reply

At 11/9/14 07:44 AM, Dean wrote: I got The Evil Dead Trilogy recently and watched the first film last night. I thought it was going to be more black comedy than just straight up horror but actually rather liked it and I'm not really someone who watches many horror films. Looking forward to seeing the next two films, although I notice they both have lower age ratings than the original, so I guess that means they're going to be a bit different.

The first film is straight horror, it only becomes horror/comedy afterwards. Probably the weakest of the three because of it, Ash doesn't become one of the greatest film characters ever until the second.

It's actually quite a nice box set though. Plenty of extras and documentaries on these discs.

I've got a DVD on the first one that looks like the Necronomicon. All rubbery and cheap feeling, though.

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-11-09 08:11:16 Reply

At 11/9/14 07:49 AM, TheMaster wrote: I've got a DVD on the first one that looks like the Necronomicon. All rubbery and cheap feeling, though.

That sounds pretty cool in a creepy way. This physical box set it nothing special. Just a standard bluray box with 3 discs packed in it but it was only a little more than £10 so figured it was well worth checking out at that price. Plus Jackho has been telling me to watch these for a while now.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2014-11-09 09:28:23 Reply

At 11/9/14 08:11 AM, Dean wrote:
At 11/9/14 07:49 AM, TheMaster wrote: I've got a DVD on the first one that looks like the Necronomicon. All rubbery and cheap feeling, though.
That sounds pretty cool in a creepy way. This physical box set it nothing special. Just a standard bluray box with 3 discs packed in it but it was only a little more than £10 so figured it was well worth checking out at that price. Plus Jackho has been telling me to watch these for a while now.

I've got the first film and Army of Darkness on blu-ray, but need to pick up 2 at some point. 2 might be the best of them, actually.

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 52
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-11-09 10:53:46 Reply

At 11/9/14 09:28 AM, TheMaster wrote: I've got the first film and Army of Darkness on blu-ray, but need to pick up 2 at some point. 2 might be the best of them, actually.

Just got done watching it now and I do like it slightly better than the first. It's a bit strange watching the first film and then watching the second soon after, seeing as The Evil Dead 2 is pretty much just an altered remake of the original. Well, that's how I'd describe it anyway. Different enough to feel like a totally different film but has enough in common to make it feel like a remake type thing.

I might watch Army of Darkness tonight but I think I'll probably save it for another day. If I do end up watching another film today it will probably be Alfred Hitchcock's Topaz. It's the third last film I have in that set but I hear it's not particularly good.

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-11-09 19:42:13 Reply

At 11/8/14 06:31 PM, Auz wrote: Do you mean the length of the film?

Yes. I'm finding it increasingly frustrating how long every type of film is getting and how no one seems bothered by it. Saying an entire 90 holyfucking minutes of this film is bad then claiming it's worth seeing just sounds ridiculous. An entire film's runtime being dismissed like it's just one act.

So yeah I think I'll skip interstellar. The runtime alone is off putting even if it was all quality.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-11-09 20:53:16 Reply

I finally watched Captain America: the Winter Soldier. Awesome movie. This is up there on the list of the Marvel movies.

At 11/9/14 10:53 AM, Dean wrote:
At 11/9/14 09:28 AM, TheMaster wrote: I've got the first film and Army of Darkness on blu-ray, but need to pick up 2 at some point. 2 might be the best of them, actually.
Just got done watching it now and I do like it slightly better than the first. It's a bit strange watching the first film and then watching the second soon after, seeing as The Evil Dead 2 is pretty much just an altered remake of the original. Well, that's how I'd describe it anyway. Different enough to feel like a totally different film but has enough in common to make it feel like a remake type thing.

I might watch Army of Darkness tonight but I think I'll probably save it for another day. If I do end up watching another film today it will probably be Alfred Hitchcock's Topaz. It's the third last film I have in that set but I hear it's not particularly good.

I think all three are great. Check out the remake as well. It's actually quite good. I went in with not much in the way of expectations and ended up enjoying it.

sig by JaY11

BBS Signature