New Topic Respond to this Topic
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-13 07:38:22 Reply

I watched the Protector 2. I had been looking forward to this movie for more than 2 years and was very let down. It's loaded with stupid CG (really really badly done CG, too) and it was apparently made for 3D and has a bunch of dumb shots that are supposed to show that off. It seems Pinkaew forgot why the Protector and Ong Bak were awesome. Most of the action is not good.

This movie sucks, though it did have a few rare good moments. But yeah, it still sucks. I'm kinda concerned about Tony Jaa's career after this and Ong Bak 3 (though I actually thought Ong Bak 2 was sweet). I hope Chocolate 2 isn't this bad.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
wolfe
wolfe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-13 09:52:09 Reply

Guardians Of The Galaxy was so awesome!!!

Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-13 14:56:42 Reply

Saw guardians of the galaxy. It was okay. Nothing really memorable, way too much exposition, alien design consisted of just painting humans different colours, all of the action was incredibly bland. I thought it would be different since it's not a super hero movie but it still blends in with the rest if the marvel stuff and ends up feeling like I've already seen it.

On the other hand the characters were likable and each felt like an important addition to the team, like they really needed eachother rather than the Avengers' "Iron Man + friends" formula where everyone's there for the hell of it and could easily be written out.

Overall I'd give it a meh out of five, not too bad but enough to make me wish the internet would shut the fuck up for a minute.

"I don't like facts. They get in the way of my opinions" -Kanye West
last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-13 17:01:00 Reply

At 8/11/14 09:37 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: RIP, Robin Williams.

It's absolutely unbelievable to me that he passed away. He was such an embodiment of passion for cinema. He was a model to look up to, and many many other actors and actresses and other people working in the world of cinema, that he was a great man.

He's been such an inspiring figure, and he brought us some of the greatest moments in cinema, both in comedy and drama. He was a genius and delivered his roles with truthful passion. I'm very sad that he's gone, especially the way he went...

O Captain! My Captain! RIP

Cinema Club

Natick
Natick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-13 23:24:00 Reply

just saw boyhood

i don't even know how anyone can manage to hate it. it's a near-perfect depiction of american family life for the last decade and the more i reflect on it, the more spooked i am by how relatable the characters and what they went through to the shared adolescence of myself, my relatives and my friends

When ever you feel powerless, just remember this.

A single one of your pubes can shut down an entire restaurant. - Conal / MOTW: O Lucky Man!

BBS Signature
DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 56
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-14 13:12:01 Reply

At 8/13/14 09:52 AM, wolfe wrote: Guardians Of The Galaxy was so awesome!!!

I was really surprised by how good it was. I would give it at least a four out of five.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics
Top Medal points user list. I am number 12

Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-14 14:19:41 Reply

Watched Aguirre: The Wrath of God for the first time. I'll probably get shat on for this but I'd love to see it (faithfully) remade.

It's good and all, but it's dated, and the editing and post production were fairly ass and the camera was all janky at the best of times. I found it started lacking focus around the latter half. Sort of fell into a routine of having someone say something weird, followed by shots of nothing for a while until the next line. Most characters were just kind of there with no motivation or purpose, just waiting for the inevitable, which made it hard to root for them and killed any tension that was built up in the early scenes.

I get that filming this thing must have been an absolute nightmare to begin with but this stuff brought the film down a good few notches for me.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-14 19:31:33 Reply

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUm04OmjZMA

Cinema Club

BBS Signature
argile
argile
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-16 17:02:26 Reply

Going to catch a few of the movies that Robin Williams had been in on Netflix,Hopefully they've got Mrs. Doubtfire on stream.

Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-16 17:21:49 Reply

Watched The Young and Prodigious T.S. Spivet.

Not bad, but it did not really appeal to me either. The acting isn't that good and many plot elements in the film were left underdeveloped in my opinion. I think the dramatic climax of the film would have been a lot more intense if they had shown more of the tensions and issues between the members of Spivet's family. The film never really dives into these tensions all that much and instead, we get to see long scenes of Spivet's train ride in which really not much is happening at all.

I will say that the cinematography is great though. There are some really nice shots of trains passing by U.S. landscapes. Unfortunately, that's about the only positive thing I can say about this film.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 16 November 2014)

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-17 07:36:36 Reply

At 8/16/14 05:02 PM, argile wrote: Going to catch a few of the movies that Robin Williams had been in on Netflix,Hopefully they've got Mrs. Doubtfire on stream.

See if they have the Adventures of Baron Munchausen or the Fisher King.

BBS Signature
argile
argile
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-17 08:32:56 Reply

At 8/17/14 07:36 AM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 8/16/14 05:02 PM, argile wrote: Going to catch a few of the movies that Robin Williams had been in on Netflix,Hopefully they've got Mrs. Doubtfire on stream.
See if they have the Adventures of Baron Munchausen or the Fisher King.

Hell yeah they have those on there But they only have Mrs. Doubtfire on Dvd,I don't get it the movies atleast 2 decades old.

SithCorduroy
SithCorduroy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Art Lover
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-17 15:00:18 Reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jvFC-g-IFY

Robin Williams' best work is still the Kiwi Bird.

SithCorduroy
SithCorduroy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Art Lover
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-22 23:35:29 Reply

Amityville: Awakening.

God, Hollywood has sure gotten a lot of mileage out of that bullcrap story.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-23 12:33:50 Reply

Sabotage was better than I expected. They must have cut like 20 minutes out of the movie, though and some of the deleted scenes were actually kinda interesting. They completely did away with the stuff about the guy killing his twin daughter, which was kinda good devopment for the female cop character. I guess the alternate ending isn't any better than the final cut, though. But I don't really know. Anyway, pretty good movie, probably the best since Arnold's comeback.

I watched Escape Plan about a week ago, which was okay, but not quite what I expected. Being the first film to have Stallone and Schwarzenegger sharing the spotlight, I thought it was gonna be loaded with action, but the action only comes at the end. for about two thirds of the movie, it seemed to want to be more of a smart-ish thriller that's supposed to take itself seriously, but it was contrived and had too many failures in logic. Depending on the FALSE myth that the coriolis effect changes the direction a toilet flushes is a bad sign, especially in the age of the internet and fact checking being really easy. This wouldn't matter if it were meant to be a silly action movie. Still a somewhat entertaining movie. My favorite part was Arnold's "no talent" bit. lol

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-23 12:49:38 Reply

Might watch Once Upon A Time In America tonight but that takes some commitment. I think I might struggle with a 4 hour film these days. Seems a bit mental to think I could start watching it at 10pm and be done just before 2am. Really want to see it again though so I might just get it over with.

At 8/12/14 08:46 PM, Jackho wrote:
At 8/11/14 05:29 PM, Dean wrote: Certainly kept me hooked but it's hard for me to rate something highly when it leaves me wanting answers.
That's almost the entire reason I watch movies, man. Answers are boring.

Late response but in some cases I'd agree. There are films that can leave me wanting to know more and it ends up being a good thing. That short animation film you got me to watch, Death Billiards, for example left me wanting to know what happened but not in a frustrating way. It left me thinking about it for some time after.

The Birds on the other hand just sort of ended. It left me with no real questions other than "what the fuck?". I mean sure, I wanted to know where the birds came from and why they were doing what they were doing but it's not really something that was ever hinted at in the film. It's like the elephant in the room. The question must be on everyone's mind but the film does nothing at all to hint at answers. By no means a bad film, just left me a bit frustrated. I thought there was going to be more to it and there wasn't.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-24 20:08:21 Reply

At 8/23/14 12:33 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: twin daughter

Wait, what? I shouldn't write posts while distracted.

BBS Signature
Natick
Natick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-24 23:40:35 Reply

is the motw project dead or do we just need to kick ourselves to get it going again?

Cinema Club

A single one of your pubes can shut down an entire restaurant. - Conal / MOTW: O Lucky Man!

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-25 05:19:17 Reply

Watched Once Upon A Time In America last night. Expected to fall asleep before finishing it (typically happens when I watch films from bed) but somehow I stayed wide awake throughout the whole thing. If you're into those old style gangster movies, it's definitely worth a watch although given that it covers 50 years in 4 hours I could understand people feeling like it drags on a bit. It's not shown chronologically though, it jumps about, which definitely helps keep things interesting.

Probably not going to be a film for everyone but if you enjoy The Godfather trilogy (especially Part II with it's moving between past and present) then you'll probably enjoy this.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-25 09:20:59 Reply

At 8/24/14 11:40 PM, Natick wrote: is the motw project dead or do we just need to kick ourselves to get it going again?

iirc the last film was either If... or O Lucky Man! and it doesn't seem like anyone watched it. Summer is coming to an end too so that sucks balls, if anything it should only get slower. All I've really been watching are Robin Williams films, when I get time away from my vigorous routine of playing video games all day.

I fear her pulse is getting faint, best call the doctor

@Dr-Worm

BBS Signature
Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-26 01:16:06 Reply

At 8/24/14 11:40 PM, Natick wrote: is the motw project dead or do we just need to kick ourselves to get it going again?
At 8/25/14 09:20 AM, Jackho wrote: I fear her pulse is getting faint, best call the doctor

Unfortunately I've been a busy busy boy these past couple months. Also it doesn't help that this site is a festering cesspool I increasingly want nothing to do with.

But I'd totally be down to watch If... and chat about it this week if y'all are still interested.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: If... (Anderson, 1968, UK) | Letterboxd | Last.fm

BBS Signature
Natick
Natick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-26 01:18:23 Reply

At 8/26/14 01:16 AM, Dr-Worm wrote: Unfortunately I've been a busy busy boy these past couple months. Also it doesn't help that this site is a festering cesspool I increasingly want nothing to do with.

i can certainly relate

But I'd totally be down to watch If... and chat about it this week if y'all are still interested.

i did see if... and took notes a few weeks ago so i'd still be up for a discussion

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-26 11:08:23 Reply

I watched Incendies. Sad and messed up movie, but quite good. I wonder why it had to take place in some unnamed/made up country, though.

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-26 11:34:35 Reply

Would anyone be interested in watching the film all at once via a live stream or whatever?

BBS Signature
Natick
Natick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-26 12:09:56 Reply

At 8/26/14 11:34 AM, Jackho wrote: Would anyone be interested in watching the film all at once via a live stream or whatever?

that would help make sure i actually see the film and don't slack off but if we had to socialize through a livestream chat, it could be distracting

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-27 10:12:06 Reply

Arrow Video are doing limited edition, custom designed Withnail & I blu-ray sets, and I am ejaculating myself inside out.

You choose one of 4 covers, one of 15 quotes from the film (although a lack of "Stop saying that Withnail, of course he's the fucking farmer!" is a disgrace) and you get your name printed on it too.

http://arrowvideo.com/withnailandi/

They're gorgeous. I've gone for this one, with "We want the finest wines available to humanity. We want them here. And we want them now."

Cinema Club

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
wolfe
wolfe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-30 05:25:48 Reply

I'm still debating weather I should go and see Lucy on Wednesday or not. Any opinions?

Wegra
Wegra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 46
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-30 14:53:43 Reply

Just saw Magic in the Moonlight earlier this week. As usual Woody Allen creates another charmingly fun movie from beginning to end. If you like Woody Allen \go see it

I have a penis

BBS Signature
SithCorduroy
SithCorduroy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Art Lover
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-30 16:28:55 Reply

http://confusedmatthew.com/matthews-marvel-madness.html

Good God, Confused Matthew is bitching about the Marvel movies AGAIN!

We all get it, dude. YOU.DON'T.LIKE.MARVEL!

Nobody is making you watch these fucking movies! You're not even a real film critic!

DeIirium
DeIirium
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Melancholy
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-30 20:04:02 Reply

At 8/30/14 04:28 PM, SithCorduroy wrote: http://confusedmatthew.com/matthews-marvel-madness.html

Good God, Confused Matthew is bitching about the Marvel movies AGAIN!

We all get it, dude. YOU.DON'T.LIKE.MARVEL!

Nobody is making you watch these fucking movies! You're not even a real film critic!

confused matthew is one of my favorite internet reviewers, since he actually reviews movies instead of just riffing on them like the nostalgia critic and whatnot. i don't agree with everything he says but i share his dislike for some popular films like the lion king and a nightmare before christmas. i also thought that marvel video was pretty on point.