Cinema Club

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-06 10:34:05 Reply

At 8/6/14 09:03 AM, SithCorduroy wrote: Saw GOTG last night. Liked it a lot.

Space Merle was my favorite.

Don't you mean space Jared Svenning?

Would you like a chocolate covered pretzel?

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-06 18:20:41 Reply

Watched A Beautiful Mind.

Good film in my opinion and a good performance by Russell Crowe. This was the first time I watched it, but the twist was partially spoiled to me already so it wasn't too big of a surprise.

SPOILERS BELOW

I didn't expect the twist to come up so early on in the film though, and I think it was very cleverly implemented. At first, I did actually believe that the top secret government stuff might have been really happening. I thought they were perhaps just overromanticising real events, like they often do in biopics. I didn't know that that was actually part of the twist and I thought it was quite well done. How he met up with his wife and how she stood by him did seem a bit romanticized though, but it didn't bother me too much.

Anyway, good film that is well deserving of an Oscar in my opinion.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 16 November 2014)

BBS Signature
SithCorduroy
SithCorduroy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Art Lover
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-06 20:07:55 Reply

Could this movie be the next The Room/Birdemic?

Cinema Club

TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-07 18:36:56 Reply

I've not been watching any films lately because Twin Peaks on blu-ray is a thing that exists.

This show is even better than I remember.

Wish I wasn't totally insane, though. Rewatching stuff, no matter how good, always feels like I'm wasting time. Like I could be watching something new instead, which shouldn't matter at all if I'm enjoying it.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-08 16:07:21 Reply

At 8/7/14 06:36 PM, TheMaster wrote: I've not been watching any films lately because Twin Peaks on blu-ray is a thing that exists.

This show is even better than I remember.

I know, right? I've been enjoying it so much more this time around for some reason. Watching episode 18 right now. Love this show, even the stuff that comes after the revelation of the killer.

Got a few more films to get through too. Probably going to watch Robocop tonight, which I don't think I've ever seen actually.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-08 16:27:13 Reply

At 8/8/14 04:07 PM, Dean wrote: I know, right? I've been enjoying it so much more this time around for some reason. Watching episode 18 right now. Love this show, even the stuff that comes after the revelation of the killer.

I've only been watching an episode a day, so I'm only up to episode 4. I tend to alternate between watching shit all day, or playing video games all day, rather than a mix of the two, and I'm definitely in the later at the moment.

Got a few more films to get through too. Probably going to watch Robocop tonight, which I don't think I've ever seen actually.

You should get on that, Robocop is fantastic. Not even just in a dopey 80s action movie sort of way (which is an appeal it definitely does have), but in a genuinely great film sort of way too.

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-08 16:53:56 Reply

At 8/8/14 04:27 PM, TheMaster wrote: I've only been watching an episode a day, so I'm only up to episode 4. I tend to alternate between watching shit all day, or playing video games all day, rather than a mix of the two, and I'm definitely in the later at the moment.

I was watching several episodes a day for a while but now I'm down to one a day. I've also been really enjoying the special features that are included on the discs. Usually I don't bother with stuff like that but these have been interesting watches so far.

You should get on that, Robocop is fantastic. Not even just in a dopey 80s action movie sort of way (which is an appeal it definitely does have), but in a genuinely great film sort of way too.

Yea, I've been in the mood for that type of film recently. Also got Terminator and First Blood. I've seen First Blood multiple times but I think I've only seen the original Terminator once and that was a long time ago.

Also have Once Upon a Time in America, Watchmen and The Fifth Element sitting there. Was taking advantage of Amazon's 3 for £17 again.

Also a little over half way through those Hitchcock films now. North by Northwest was the latest one I saw. Psycho will be up next, whenever I get back to them. The films have ranged from average to really good so far. Particularly liked The Trouble With Harry. That film just had a charm to it that I really liked.

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-08 17:27:57 Reply

So I've just started Robocop and I've already seen 2 actors that are also in Twin Peaks. Spooky.

BBS Signature
SithCorduroy
SithCorduroy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Art Lover
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-08 19:30:56 Reply

Confused Matthew explains why we are all idiots for liking Guardians of the Galaxy.

wolfe
wolfe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-09 09:42:03 Reply

I'm seeing Guardians of the galaxy tonight, I hope it's good.

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-09 15:23:44 Reply

Really enjoyed Robocop. I didn't realise it was such a brutal film. Right from the start there's guys getting shot to pieces and seeing that guy emerge from the toxic waste was pretty cool. Looked at the ratings of the other Robocop films on Letterboxd and I think I'll pass on them.

Watched The Fifth Element this afternoon while my internet connection was being a bit shit. Pretty good film, better than I thought it would be. I think I might have seen bits of it before because I recognised some scenes. Wasn't such a fan of the scenes with that DJ guy though. Thought they were pretty irritating actually.

Undecided on whether I'll watch Psycho or Terminator later tonight. Also really want to watch Once Upon a Time in America but a 4 hour film is going to require some dedication. Already seen most, if not all, of it before but wanted to re-watch it.

BBS Signature
SithCorduroy
SithCorduroy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Art Lover
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-09 17:57:00 Reply

At 8/9/14 03:23 PM, Dean wrote: Really enjoyed Robocop. I didn't realise it was such a brutal film. Right from the start there's guys getting shot to pieces and seeing that guy emerge from the toxic waste was pretty cool. Looked at the ratings of the other Robocop films on Letterboxd and I think I'll pass on them.

I don't think Robocop 2 is as bad as people like to say. It has it's moments.

I find it to be an unpleasant movie though. There's so much stuff in it about children being terrible and them just doing horrible things.

There's even a guy who points a gun at a baby's head and threatens to shoot it!

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-09 20:11:10 Reply

I love the shit out of Robocop. The trailers for the reboot made me groan.

At 8/9/14 05:57 PM, SithCorduroy wrote:
At 8/9/14 03:23 PM, Dean wrote: Really enjoyed Robocop. I didn't realise it was such a brutal film. Right from the start there's guys getting shot to pieces and seeing that guy emerge from the toxic waste was pretty cool. Looked at the ratings of the other Robocop films on Letterboxd and I think I'll pass on them.

I don't think Robocop 2 is as bad as people like to say. It has it's moments.

Robocop 3 sucked, but Robocop 2 was pretty good. And this fan theory makes it a little better, too. Give it a read.

http://www.reddit.com/r/FanTheories/comments/1qp82q/robocop_2_is_a_satire_of_hollywood_franchises/

There's even a guy who points a gun at a baby's head and threatens to shoot it!

That was one of the best parts, when Murphy ricochets the bullet.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-09 20:43:37 Reply

Oh yeah, I watched Looper, which was really good. And I watched the Baytown Outlaws, a pretty good comedy-ish action movie. That one seems to have been under the radar. It was kinda funny how they just about subverted the tough but hot woman trope in one particular scene.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-09 20:56:41 Reply

The biggest problem with Robocop 2 is how it throws out all the character development from the first film right away, and then basically retreads the same arc again without any of the subtlety.

It's solid enough action schlock, though. Not close to being an absolute essential like the first, but worth a watch. There's a few nice moments, the failed prototypes are great, and I've always liked the naming of the film, what with it actually featuring a "Robocop 2" rather than just being a numbered sequel.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-09 21:04:26 Reply

Haha, the test period with the prototypes is one of my favorite parts.

BBS Signature
Nebula
Nebula
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-10 09:23:46 Reply

At 8/8/14 07:30 PM, SithCorduroy wrote: Confused Matthew explains why we are all idiots for liking Guardians of the Galaxy.

CM hating a movie everyone likes? What a shock.

Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-10 16:38:46 Reply

Decided to watch Psycho and thought it was really good, much to my surprise. I half expected it to be some old slasher film that I didn't imagine myself enjoying as much as the ratings for the film suggested I should. For those who haven't seen it, the rest of my post will have spoilers.

I thought I had it all worked out about half way through. Not long after the murder I was convinced that Bates was disturbed and dressed up as his dead mother, but there were a couple things that made me doubt my theory. The silhouette in the window (seeing it while knowing it couldn't be Bates sat at the window) and then the scene where Bates carries his mother down the stairs really threw me. Wish I stuck with my gut feeling because I wasn't surprised at all when it was revealed that the mother was a corpse, although part of me was expecting her to turn around and start stabbing.

Really enjoyed it though. Would definitely recommend to anyone who hasn't seen it. One of those scenes with mother in particular actually made me jump a little. Such a good film.

BBS Signature
SithCorduroy
SithCorduroy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Art Lover
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-10 18:03:31 Reply

At 8/10/14 04:38 PM, Dean wrote:
I thought I had it all worked out about half way through. Not long after the murder I was convinced that Bates was disturbed and dressed up as his dead mother, but there were a couple things that made me doubt my theory. The silhouette in the window (seeing it while knowing it couldn't be Bates sat at the window) and then the scene where Bates carries his mother down the stairs really threw me.

You really didn't know the twist beforehand? That seems like something everyone knows even if they never saw the movie.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-10 19:35:07 Reply

I probably would have watched Psycho a long time ago if I didn't already know the ending and hadn't seen several parts. The suspense would be spoiled, I figure.

Also, read that Robocop 2 fan theory about it being a satire of reboots and sequels if you've seen the movie. It's a pretty cool way to look at the movie.

BBS Signature
SithCorduroy
SithCorduroy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Art Lover
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-10 22:52:24 Reply

At 8/10/14 07:35 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I probably would have watched Psycho a long time ago if I didn't already know the ending and hadn't seen several parts. The suspense would be spoiled, I figure.

It's definitely worth watching even if you know the story.

Anybody who enjoys a well put together film should appreciate it.

Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-10 23:02:52 Reply

At 8/10/14 07:35 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I probably would have watched Psycho a long time ago if I didn't already know the ending and hadn't seen several parts. The suspense would be spoiled, I figure.

Movies aren't about what they're about, they're about how they're about it.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: If... (Anderson, 1968, UK) | Letterboxd | Last.fm

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-11 02:08:34 Reply

At 8/10/14 06:03 PM, SithCorduroy wrote: You really didn't know the twist beforehand? That seems like something everyone knows even if they never saw the movie.

Nope. The only thing I knew about Psycho before watching it was the shower scene, hence why I thought it was going to be a slasher film. Aside from that, I had no idea what the film was about.

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-11 17:29:10 Reply

Just got done watching The Birds. I enjoyed watching it but it's one of those films that ends leaving me feeling very unsatisfied. What kept me interested in the film was the hope that I'd get to find out what was causing the birds to be attacking and it was left unresolved. I guess the benefit to that is that it leaves me thinking about the film even when it's over, but I would really have liked an explanation or some kind of closure.

About half way through the film I was starting to think that the mother or the school teacher / ex-lover was going to be some kind of evil person who's hate fuelled the birds. Certainly kept me hooked but it's hard for me to rate something highly when it leaves me wanting answers.

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-11 19:29:18 Reply

Robin Williams is dead, supposedly by suicide after struggling with depression

http://time.com/3101990/robin-williams-dead-63/

fuck everything

"I don't like facts. They get in the way of my opinions" -Kanye West
last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal

BBS Signature
Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-11 21:22:49 Reply

Just got back from watching Guardians of the Galaxy. Here is my in-depth review:

lots of exposition
orange and blue
flat characters
unintentionally funny slo-mo
orange and blue
throwaway "search for object" plot
stale '80s references
orange and blue
Lloyd Kaufman
Howard the Duck
orange and blue

2.5/10

BBS Signature
EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-11 21:37:37 Reply

RIP, Robin Williams.

Cinema Club

Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-12 20:46:13 Reply

At 8/11/14 05:29 PM, Dean wrote: Certainly kept me hooked but it's hard for me to rate something highly when it leaves me wanting answers.

That's almost the entire reason I watch movies, man. Answers are boring.

"I don't like facts. They get in the way of my opinions" -Kanye West
last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal

BBS Signature
SithCorduroy
SithCorduroy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Art Lover
Response to Cinema Club 2014-08-13 01:21:57 Reply

If you think the ending of the Birds us unsatisfying, your head might explode if you watch Birds 2: Land's End.

Yeah, they made a sequel decades later. Bet ya didn't know that.