SithCorduroy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Art Lover
Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-15 20:27:52 Reply

I watched Frozen.

It was pretty good.

The Let It Go song was the only memorable one in the movie. I guess that's better than Tangled, which had approximately zero memorable songs.

SithCorduroy
SithCorduroy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Art Lover
Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-15 20:33:57 Reply

Robert Orci producing Power Rangers movie.

Alright, but for the love of fuck, don't let him near the script.

Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-15 23:41:19 Reply

The Great Randomizer has spoken (this is the first time in a while I've actually had to use it, so that's nice) and it has selected me to pick this week's film! And we will be watching...

Schizopolis (1996, Steven Soderbergh, USA)

I'm not even going to try to describe the film's plot, so let's just leave it at this: it's an experimental comedy from the guy who had previously helped to spark the indie revolution of the '90s with sex, lies, and videotape and would go on to make the Ocean's Eleven movies (among lots of other things). It's hilarious, absurd, and bizarre, and you'll never see anything else like it. The movie is positively bursting with playful twists of language and scrappy energy, and I hope you guys get as much of a kick out of it as I do!

@Auz
@Natick
@TheMaster
@Slint
@Sekhem
@Jolly
@Atlas
@NuScarab
@EclecticEnnui
@Makeshift
@HeavenDuff
@ZJ
@SithCorduroy
@Oolaph
@Jackho
@darkjam
@Nebula
@Jester
@SapphireLight
@SG3
@Dean
@Snuff
@Piggler
@Idiot-Finder
@Sense-Offender

Angel's Egg was an interesting one. Most of the Christian symbolism sailed straight over my Jewish kepi, so for me the whole thing largely functioned as a really effectively eerie mood piece. Obviously it's quite visually striking, with some outstanding art and animation work. I really liked how the film uses extremely wide shots and minimalist, often almost completely still animation to underline its atmosphere of downcast loneliness. Those kinds of scenes also make the rare moments of fluid action that much more intense and eye-popping. The giant shadow fish and the droves of ghostly-looking fishermen failing to catch it is an incredible, standout scene.

Still, it does kind of drag and repeat itself quite a bit, and I wonder if maybe it wouldn't be better served as a short instead of a feature. Then again that languid pace kind of seems to be the point, so who knows.

Also, between the vast, gloomy and barren world riddled with ancient ruins and restless spirits, the bond forged between the only two inhabitants of that sparse world, the sacrificial porcelain-skinned waif, and the constant sight of capes blowing in the wind, this movie reminded me an awful lot of the games of Fumito Ueda (never a bad thing). I wouldn't be surprised to learn that it was an influence on the visual style of Ico and Shadow of the Colossus.

In other news, I'm still far too verklempt over Boyhood to say anything coherent about it right now, but everything @TheMaster said about it is spot-on. It just absolutely floored me. Easily the best film of the year so far and unlikely to be topped. You guys seriously have to go see it, this is some generation-defining shit we're talking about here.

Cinema Club

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: If... (Anderson, 1968, UK) | Letterboxd | Last.fm

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-16 10:59:22 Reply

At 7/15/14 08:33 PM, SithCorduroy wrote: Robert Orci producing Power Rangers movie.

lol

Dude, it's Power Rangers.

At 7/15/14 11:41 PM, Dr-Worm wrote: and would go on to make the Ocean's Eleven movies (among lots of other things).

Traffic

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
SithCorduroy
SithCorduroy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Art Lover
Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-16 12:47:10 Reply

At 7/16/14 10:59 AM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 7/15/14 08:33 PM, SithCorduroy wrote: Robert Orci producing Power Rangers movie.

lol

No excuse.

Seriously, every movie I hate has been written by him and that other guy.

The Transformers movies, the new Star Trek movies, The Amazing Spiderman movies.....

Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-16 19:40:41 Reply

Watched X-Men: Days of Future Past.

It's a pretty good super hero action flick. Solid performances by the all star cast, especially by James McAvoy, and the action sequences were definitely entertaining. The only thing I didn't like much was the time travelling concept. It's something that has been done often already and I don't think this film did anything too interesting with it.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 10 August 2014)

BBS Signature
SithCorduroy
SithCorduroy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Art Lover
Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-17 22:08:56 Reply

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdUysoK6tdQ

So, the cashing in on the success of the Conjuring begins.

This isn't even TheCojuring 2, it's a spinoff. Conjuring 2 is coming though.

SithCorduroy
SithCorduroy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Art Lover
Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-17 22:12:16 Reply

At 7/17/14 10:08 PM, SithCorduroy wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdUysoK6tdQ

Annabelle is from the visionary director of Mortal Kombat: Annihilation

Yeah, this probably won't be as good as The Conjuring.

Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-18 17:57:08 Reply

At 7/17/14 10:08 PM, SithCorduroy wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jdUysoK6tdQ

God damn. The Conjuring was alright, but why does everything need to be made into a franchise. Conjuring got dull before it even ended without trying to drag it out for sequels.

Also in the trailer she's excited to see the doll. Fuck off, there's no way anyone could ever look at that doll and not think it's the creepiest shit they've ever seen in their life. Suspension of disbelief out the window within the first seconds of a trailer, good job scriptwriter. At least make it look normal to begin with.

last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal / follow me if you think you can handle it

BBS Signature
Cherubas
Cherubas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-18 18:35:38 Reply

By chance does anyone know the details of the Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch movie rights thing? I know that those two can appear in Avengers movies and X-Men movies due to "complicated" ownership issues but how exactly did it get that way? What loophole is keeping one side or the other from having complete control of the characters?

SithCorduroy
SithCorduroy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Art Lover
Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-18 20:01:06 Reply

At 7/18/14 06:35 PM, Cherubas wrote: By chance does anyone know the details of the Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch movie rights thing? I know that those two can appear in Avengers movies and X-Men movies due to "complicated" ownership issues but how exactly did it get that way? What loophole is keeping one side or the other from having complete control of the characters?

Marvel can use the characters and their names, because they are so closely tied into the Avengers, but they can't use the term "mutant", or any other X-Men characters.

SithCorduroy
SithCorduroy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Art Lover
Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-18 20:09:41 Reply

At 7/18/14 05:57 PM, Jackho wrote:

God damn. The Conjuring was alright, but why does everything need to be made into a franchise. Conjuring got dull before it even ended without trying to drag it out for sequels.

Yeah, the Conjuring got stupid at the end.

The way they say lines like "If we take her out, the witch will kill her.", completely stoned face serious. It's just so silly.

Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-18 20:29:29 Reply

I finally got to watching Pacific Rim.

The giant robots vs Godzilla aliens fights were pretty entertaining, but outside from that it's just a terrible film really. The characters are so stereotypical, the dialogues so full of clichés and the plot is so uninteresting and stupid (the "science team" is two guys, seriously?).

It's too bad, because I was hoping for a sort of live-action Neon Genesis Evangelion. If they had gone somewhere in that direction with this it would have been a waaay more interesting film probably. Even if that had failed, I would have at least applauded the attempt.

BBS Signature
EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-19 01:58:07 Reply

I saw the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre for the first time. Not only that, I saw a newly restored version of it in a theatre. I really enjoyed it. My father saw it in a theatre back in the '70s and it's the scariest film he has ever seen. I didn't find it scary, but it's thrilling, not to mention weird. There's either little or no character development, but I'm OK with that. The acting's pretty good. Since I saw the film for the first time, I can't compare its restoration to before, but it definitely looks nice. It doesn't look like a Hollywood film from this decade and that's perfectly fine. This film's a classic for the horror genre and if you haven't seen it, I recommend it, as long as you're not squeamish.

SG3
SG3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-19 06:55:09 Reply

Boyhood was perhaps the most poignant cinematic experience of my life. As a millennial, a lot of it hit close to home, and yet interestingly the parts that didn't were almost even more interesting as they allowed me to reflect on my differences to the archetypal Gen Y experience. It also made me profoundly sad at points, as a film about the inevitable progression of time, though it's depicted optimistically. Probably my favourite Richard Linklater film, though I suppose time will tell.

Seriously can not recommend this one enough.

SithCorduroy
SithCorduroy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Art Lover
Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-19 08:18:40 Reply

At 7/19/14 01:58 AM, EclecticEnnui wrote: I saw the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre for the first time. Not only that, I saw a newly restored version of it in a theatre. I really enjoyed it.

That's actually my favorite movie.

I would love to see that on the big screen.

horsenwelles
horsenwelles
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-19 14:44:01 Reply

At 7/16/14 12:47 PM, SithCorduroy wrote:
At 7/16/14 10:59 AM, Sense-Offender wrote:

lol

No excuse.

Seriously, every movie I hate has been written by him and that other guy.

The Transformers movies, the new Star Trek movies, The Amazing Spiderman movies.....

those scripts are like somebody took a really big shit and then put the contents of the shit into a blender along with 30 aborted fetuses, ground them up, placed them on a scanner, printed out several scans of the goopy fluids and solids, and then wrote some terrible screenplays that suck.

flank, the dog

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-20 07:53:11 Reply

For a while now I've had my eye on Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection. 14 of his films on blu-ray usually for around £60 but it was always a bit pricey for me. Had a look at it again to see if it was any cheaper, nope. Although I did notice that there was a more recent set containing 16 of his films each stored in their own tin and in a nice display case. Obviously it's even more expensive. Or is it? Was reading reviews on it out of curiosity and came across a recent forum post pointing to Zavvi, who're currently selling it for £62.99 and if you apply a first purchase discount code you can get it for £56.69 which works out at about £3.50 per film. Seemed like a pretty good deal considering it cost me less than the 14 film set I've been eyeing for a while and this 16 film set is a numbered collectors set in considerably nicer packaging. Decided to jump on that offer.

I've never actually seen a Hitchcock film but I've been wanting to give them a shot for some time now and this seemed like a decent way to do it. They seem quite different to my usual sort of film, which is what made them appealing in the first place. I have watched trailers on Youtube for several of the films, just to get a feel for them, and they do seem like the kind of thins I might enjoy. Just a little unsure because I seem to hear mixed things about his films. Some people seem to really, really love them whilst others find them pretty average. Thought I'd take a gamble though.

Anyway, just thought I'd share that incase any of you film buffs are interested. Seems like a nice set for the price Zavvi are currently selling it at:

http://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/hitchcock-the-ultimate-filmmaker-collection/10851514.html

Cinema Club

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-20 08:32:57 Reply

At 7/20/14 07:53 AM, Dean wrote: For a while now I've had my eye on Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection.

I've got the old version of this set.

Was pretty pissed when the new one followed so soon after. Mine has the same discs, bar To Catch a Thief and North By Northwest which are only in the new version, but none of the physical extras, and cost just as much.

Transfers are excellent, and the films are great. I'd definitely go for it at that price.

Cinema Club

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
SithCorduroy
SithCorduroy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Art Lover
Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-20 21:39:55 Reply

http://confusedmatthew.com/2001%3A-A-Space-Odyssey.php

So, I just revisited that little gem.

Still the worst movie review I've ever seen.

TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-20 21:44:52 Reply

At 7/20/14 09:39 PM, SithCorduroy wrote: http://confusedmatthew.com/2001%3A-A-Space-Odyssey.php

Terrible internet videos are an art. Confused Matthew is a pro.

paulisthebest3uk is the greatest auteur of our time, though.

BBS Signature
SithCorduroy
SithCorduroy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Art Lover
Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-20 22:05:22 Reply

At 7/20/14 09:44 PM, TheMaster wrote:
At 7/20/14 09:39 PM, SithCorduroy wrote: http://confusedmatthew.com/2001%3A-A-Space-Odyssey.php

Terrible internet videos are an art. Confused Matthew is a pro.

paulisthebest3uk is the greatest auteur of our time, though.

Some used to say that the printing press would devalue the content of books, because then any moron could have regular access to them.

The interwebz has done the same for film criticism.

SithCorduroy
SithCorduroy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Art Lover
Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-21 09:23:38 Reply

Last week I saw Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and enjoyed it immensely.

It's well written, and has the most realistic cgi characters I've seen in film so far.

I also loved that the movie doesn't pander. The whole first twenty minutes or so is just the apes talking to each other in sign language with subtitles. Hollywood typically doesn't give that kind of credit to the summer movie crowd.

horsenwelles
horsenwelles
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-21 17:18:49 Reply

if you like film reviews, check out redlettermedia. mike stoklasa and jay bauman are fucking hysterical with their comedic timing and their wit.

redlettermedia.com

oh, and i saw the lego movie. it was like a hug. the movie was like a warm hug. one that makes you smile and feel accepted. great movie. i highly recommend it to anyone who isn't a bitter stick in the mud.

flank, the dog

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-21 18:46:41 Reply

At 7/18/14 08:29 PM, Auz wrote: I finally got to watching Pacific Rim.

I enjoyed it for what it was but it's not something I'll go back to. I felt it even failed as a dumb robot movie. It's fuzzy now but one point I remember pissing me off was that we're told how cool Crimson Typhoon and Cherno Alpha are through dialogue, how many badass fights they've been through etc, then they both immediately die when the action starts.

Should have had more robots with more varied action in place of the terrible characters. As it was it just had one robot fighting in rainy weather where you can't see shit backed by the most homogeneous cast of any american action movie. It really was terrible, but at the same time it didn't really let me down either.

At 7/21/14 09:23 AM, SithCorduroy wrote: Last week I saw Dawn of the Planet of the Apes and enjoyed it immensely.

It's well written, and has the most realistic cgi characters I've seen in film so far.

I also loved that the movie doesn't pander. The whole first twenty minutes or so is just the apes talking to each other in sign language with subtitles. Hollywood typically doesn't give that kind of credit to the summer movie crowd.

I saw this last week too. I hadn't seen any Planet of the Apes films before (other than I think the Tim Burton one which I don't really remember) so I didn't really know what to expect but I liked it. The conflict and build up were always very believable, and yeah the apes looked incredible. Only real problem is that none of the human characters were particularly likable, despite the film's apparent effort to not pick sides or antagonize either group.

I felt the subtitles (mainly at the start) were dumb as hell and unnecessary though. If they were worried about the audience's understanding they should have just made the sign language more obvious instead of having random slight movements translate to multiple sentences. I feel like the subtitles would surely be removed or at least severely toned down in a director's cut. The apes are talking by the time the story gets in any way complicated.

At 7/20/14 07:53 AM, Dean wrote: Alfred Hitchcock: The Masterpiece Collection

That looks beautiful. If only I had €80 to spare for it.

last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal / follow me if you think you can handle it

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-21 20:20:51 Reply

At 7/21/14 05:18 PM, horsenwelles wrote: if you like film reviews, check out redlettermedia.

Yeah, they're the best thing going. Production values are so much better than most online reviews. Having some basic understanding of film making goes a long way in making your opinions look informed, too. More than can be said for most of the people who do this sort of thing on Youtube or at places like That Guy With The Glasses.

I'd highly recommend Rob Ager's stuff as well. He's got it spread across multiple Youtube channels for some reason. In depth analysis rather than the comedy/entertainment stuff RedLetterMedia do, and some of it feels like he's really stretching, but it's all very interesting. Looking at films in a new way is always worth doing, even if you don't end up agreeing with his conclusions.
https://www.youtube.com/user/robag555
https://www.youtube.com/user/robag88
https://www.youtube.com/user/DemonForDetail

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-21 20:39:18 Reply

At 7/18/14 08:29 PM, Auz wrote: I was hoping for a sort of live-action Neon Genesis Evangelion.

This reminds me of those rumors of Michael Bay about a month ago saying he'd like to direct an Evangelion movie. The End of Evangelion is my favorite movie, so that's well up there on my list of worst things that can ever happen.

I actually saw Transformers 4 a little while ago. I'd only ever seen the first one, I was about 11 at the time and thought it was passable, as a Transformers movie at least. I think I complained about the length of 4 in this thread but I always thought the hate for Bay and Transformers was just an overblown bandwagon.

It's not though. I saw several reviews saying this was easily the best of the four, and it's easily one of the shittiest films I've ever sat through.

Transformers and TMNT are a shame, but they're just fairly dumb cartoons to begin with, regardless of how much they mean to people. Evangelion on the other hand is such a genuinely thoughtful and unique experience for any age group and I'd just hate to see its name be synonymous with something on the level of Transformers fucking 4. It's probably just a rumor that wont go anywhere, but I'd lose my mind if it did.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-21 21:42:56 Reply

I'd KILL to see Michael Bay do Evangelion.

Turning dopey kids cartoons into terrible action blockbuster trash isn't a huge leap, but turning NGE into it would be fascinating.

BBS Signature
Piggler
Piggler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Artist
Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-22 01:01:00 Reply

I decide to watch Schizopolis a couple days ago.

I really loved the first half hour. The mirror scene was what got me reeled in for good, but I seriously fucking loved the generic greeting exchange. At that point I had a grin on my face and I was looking forward to the rest of the movie, but it kinda just failed to deliver. There were some mildly funny bits and there was a sufficent plot, but I honestly didn't feel as engaged in the movie in parts 2 and 3.

One thing I failed to understand was the significance of the exterminator guy. Okay, I lied, there were plenty of things I didn't really get and I know at the beginning Soderbergh says to watch the film over and over again until I get it, but I'm just not that good at picking up on more subtle themes in movies.

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2014-07-22 06:44:03 Reply

Watched Bottle Rocket yesterday, the first film of Wes Anderson.

Definitely not Wes Anderson's best, but it's still a good comedy film in my opinion. It reminded me a lot of Clerks and Mallrats for some reason. You see these small-time criminals in completely mundane situations, but the quick and witty dialogues between the characters makes it entertaining.

I recommend this if you're a fan of Kevin Smith films.

At 7/21/14 08:39 PM, Jackho wrote:
At 7/18/14 08:29 PM, Auz wrote: I was hoping for a sort of live-action Neon Genesis Evangelion.
This reminds me of those rumors of Michael Bay about a month ago saying he'd like to direct an Evangelion movie.

For real? I really hope he doesn't. It'd be such a shame if NGE is reduced to two-and-a-half hours of poorly directed action sequences. And if he screws it up like that, we're probably never going to see another live-action NGE again.

BBS Signature