Jolly
Jolly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Programmer
Response to Cinema Club 2013-10-24 20:48:55 Reply

At 10/24/13 01:34 PM, Jackho wrote:
At 10/24/13 12:02 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: What's with the hate of recent comic book movies? I thought the Avengers was awesome.
I thought Avengers was okay, and Iron Man was good but even then they're overrated. All of these superhero films waste half of their run time telling the fucking origin story everyone already knows and the rest is just more generic CG action. And yet most of them do extremely well critically and financially.

I like the origin story, it's usually my favorite part of the movies, even if I already know it. The origin story was my favorite part of Man of Steel, Iron Man, Spider-Man, and The Amazing Spider-Man. I especially enjoy watching the Spider-Man origin stories. I usually start getting a bit bored of the movies once they've adjusted to being a superhero.

Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club 2013-10-24 22:59:25 Reply

At 10/24/13 08:48 PM, Jolly wrote: I like the origin story, it's usually my favorite part of the movies, even if I already know it.

Me too. Especially with Spider-Man and I'm not really sure why.

Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2013-10-25 14:57:07 Reply

At 10/24/13 08:48 PM, Jolly wrote: I like the origin story, it's usually my favorite part of the movies, even if I already know it.

They're usually the better half of the movie for sure, but when the best they can do is tell us a story we already know then what's the point? This massive superhero surge is getting old. Telling spider man twice in a decade was bullshit too.

"I don't like facts. They get in the way of my opinions" -Kanye West
last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club 2013-10-25 16:25:55 Reply

At 10/24/13 05:20 PM, TheMaster wrote: I have to say, I've had that sitting on my shelf for a while now, and the run time does put me off. It shouldn't, because some of my favourite films of all time run over the 200 minute mark, but it's still a barrier. Something you have to set aside time for in advance, not something you can just grab when you want to stick something on.

Do you ever marathon watch tv shows? It's weird how I can do that, but watching a long movie throws me off. Like I've spent about 6 hours today just watching Orange is the New Black... maybe it's because you can just stop at any episode you want, but you feel like you have to watch the full movie.

TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2013-10-25 17:36:55 Reply

At 10/25/13 04:25 PM, Makeshift wrote: Do you ever marathon watch tv shows? It's weird how I can do that, but watching a long movie throws me off. Like I've spent about 6 hours today just watching Orange is the New Black... maybe it's because you can just stop at any episode you want, but you feel like you have to watch the full movie.

Man, I used to, but I can't seem to do it any more. I've been wanting to marathon Romanzo Criminale for ages, but it's the same thing with the long films. If I'm not going to watch at least a good 4 hours of it, why bother?

I remember watching 16 hours of Deep Space Nine or Buffy and Angel in a day when I was in college (sixth form college, not university). Think the last time I did it was with Babylon 5, and that must be at least 3 years ago now.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2013-10-26 09:49:08 Reply

Watched Changeling.

Overall pretty good film with a great acting performance by Angelina Jolie. This might, in fact, be the best performance in her career so far.

While this "true story" is definitely interesting and worth telling, I think the film does struggle to keep the viewers attention. It has an element of mystery to it that grasped my interest, but at about the 90 minutes mark this mystery is pretty much solved and then the film takes another 45 minutes to come to closure.
[SPOILER]And it still leaves the main question of where her son is open at the end. It doesn't even mention if he was ever found.[/SPOILER]

At 10/24/13 05:20 PM, TheMaster wrote:
At 10/24/13 05:12 PM, Auz wrote: By the way, Once Upon a Time in America is still the #1 worst film when it comes to runtime for me. It seemed to me like it was really a conscious directors choice they made beforehand to make it 4 hours long. There's five minutes of just an elevator coming down and that sort of nonsense.
I have to say, I've had that sitting on my shelf for a while now, and the run time does put me off. It shouldn't, because some of my favourite films of all time run over the 200 minute mark, but it's still a barrier. Something you have to set aside time for in advance, not something you can just grab when you want to stick something on.

I think there's a 139 minutes US cut somewhere which might be easier to watch, but if you already got the long version sitting on your shelf...

But yeah, I know that feeling. I was watching the The Human Condition (Ningen no Jôken) trilogy with my girlfriend, but it's been two years and we still haven't gotten to part 3. The 3 hours runtime of each of these films is really putting us off.

If it was anything like Star Wars or LOTR we might not have minded the runtime, but this is a pretty slow paced drama series which makes it feel extra long.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 28 December 2014)

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2013-10-26 13:18:27 Reply

Watched the 1989 horror movie the Society. weeeeeird. And I watched Bride of Re-Animator, which was pretty good.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club 2013-10-26 20:17:43 Reply

I bought movies for the first time in years.

The Place Beyond the Pines
Silver Linings Playbook
Evil Dead
Argo
Spring Breakers
End of Watch

All on Blu-Ray for $30... going to start buying these a lot more I think. And less video games.

Atlas
Atlas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to Cinema Club 2013-10-26 20:46:28 Reply

I watched Now You See Me, The Internship, and Wreck-It Ralph yesterday.

Now You See Me
Now You See Me wasn't half bad and with the star cast I should expect something good. The effects when it came to some of the magic tricks were outright ridiculous and way too fake but that didn't bother me that much. Also the characters were very intriguing and their little origin stories in the beginning were entertaining. The story itself was very interesting but the ending to the film left a lot of questions answered I will admit but also a good few unanswered which I guess makes sense since a sequel has been confirmed which I may check out when it hits theaters.
The Internship
First off I loved this movie but I believe that is due to the fact I thought it was gonna be a terrible film in every aspect. Another thing I must mention is I had not know this was a Shawn Levy movie who made some pretty good stuff as far as I can remember.The beginning was pretty bland to me and didn't really pick up until the two protagonists were thrown in a rag tag team of interns. After that their was the occasional joke at Vince and Owen's age but nothing special. The really good jokes don't come in until much later when they have to develop an app. The partying and hangover following the party was funny and somewhat interesting but a scene in between the party and the hangover helped develop a somewhat serious subplot that wasn't explored very much. Then the last two challenges come where we get a major problem and resolution and then the end is almost here and the ending I would say was pretty good. Last thing, the credits sequence was awesome!
Wreck-It Ralph
I can't really say much about this since I was half asleep when watching it and I could not really hear most of the dialogue. But from what I heard it was actually very serious for a kids movie but it really lacked in the game references. The Q*bert references all throughout were good but I mean the scene in the beginning where a ghost from Pac-Man, M. Bison, Zangief, and even Bowser are all sitting in a room and that was their roles, sitting in a room talking for a few minutes. All and all I need to watch this again a bit more thoroughly but from just watching to watch it was pretty good.

Steam | Letterboxd | AllPoetry | Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club 2013-10-30 23:34:10 Reply

Theaters around me aren't playing 12 Years a Slave or Dallas Buyers Club and I had a free ticket, so I saw Bad Grandpa. Nothing else to see really...

I thought it would be funny. I like Jackass and thought the trailer was good. Turns out it isn't too funny and most of the movie is summed up in the trailer. I felt like I was watching an extended version. Pretty upset with that one.

Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2013-10-31 19:42:34 Reply

I watched Vertigo tonight.

I can see why this film is regarded as an all-time classic. I'll admit that the effects are silly and clumsy compared to what we're used to nowadays and maybe the acting is a bit stiff (like with most older films). But if you purely look at the plot it is still very good. I really loved how after the twist it felt like there was actually a very different film going on.

I think of all the Hitchcock films I've seen so far, Vertigo holds up best.

BBS Signature
Darthdenim
Darthdenim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2013-10-31 22:59:24 Reply

AWW!

http://www.amazon.com/Wicker-Man-Blu-ray-Woodward/dp/B00G3DA63Y/ref=pd_ys_sf_s_2644980011_a1_92_p?ie=UTF8&refRID=1E3SRPZMAS0MXT30266P

The final cut of the Wicker Man is coming to Blu-Ray.

I want to see that.

Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2013-11-01 20:00:34 Reply

Went out to see Escape Plan, the latest Schwarzenegger/Stallone co-op.

Nothing too interesting, but you pretty much get what you pay for. I guess it's good for when you're having a film night with friends and want a simple action flick to start off. I don't recommend going to the cinema to see it though.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2013-11-01 20:30:15 Reply

Seeing an action movie poster with "STALLONE, SCHWARZENEGGER" at the top in big letters and both their faces on it would have made me shit my pants when I was a kid.

BBS Signature
Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2013-11-02 02:27:49 Reply

I'm trying to see 12 Years A Slave, but none of the theaters in my area are playing it. The fact that I can't see this because theaters are still playing fucking Insidious 2 really chaps my ass.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club 2013-11-02 02:28:40 Reply

At 11/2/13 02:27 AM, Cootie wrote: I'm trying to see 12 Years A Slave, but none of the theaters in my area are playing it. The fact that I can't see this because theaters are still playing fucking Insidious 2 really chaps my ass.

A theater near me is playing goddamn We're The Millers still...

TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2013-11-02 12:46:32 Reply

So I'm trying to work out what I've missed that's worth a look from this year.

I've seen:
Good Vibrations
Upstream Color
Frances Ha
Stone Roses: Made of Stone
A Field In England
The Act of Killing
How I Live Now
The Great Hip Hop Hoax
Ain't Them Bodies Saints
Sunshine on Leith
Rush, Blackfish
Alan Partridge: Alpha Papa
Wadjda
The World's End
Prisoners
Byzantium
Spike Island
Only God Forgives
Man of Steel
Star Trek Into Darkness
The Lebanese Rocket Society

And I plan to see:
Mud
Gravity
Filth
Pacific Rim
The Miners' Hyms
The Selfish Giant
Philomena
Post Tenebras Lux
Blue Is The Warmest Color
The Hunt
Like Someone in Love
The Great Beauty
Neighboring Sounds

What else is worth seeing?

BBS Signature
Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2013-11-02 20:13:07 Reply

At 11/2/13 12:46 PM, TheMaster wrote: So I'm trying to work out what I've missed that's worth a look from this year.

Damn, man, you're putting me to shame here. I definitely need to make an effort to see more of this year's stuff.

Frances Ha
Wadjda
Only God Forgives

Are these ones all worth seeing? Because they're all hovering near the top of my watchlist.

The Spectacular Now- Refreshingly low-key, naturalistic, well-acted take on the usually overwrought teen romance genre.
Spring Breakers- I don't even know if I like it or not, but it's definitely something.
Side Effects- It starts off as one kind of movie and seamlessly turns into another.
Captain Phillips- Everything this summer's action movies weren't.
The Wind Rises- I'm not sure if it's going to be released wide this year or not, but definitely see it when you get the chance. An oddly fitting final film for Miyazaki.

And then there are a few other things I haven't gotten to see yet but I've heard good things about, namely All Is Lost, 12 Years a Slave, Leviathan and Computer Chess. Also, it hasn't been getting such a great critical response, but I still want to watch Escape From Tomorrow for its novelty value alone.

Also, the year isn't over yet and there are still quite a few big movies coming out in the next couple months. The first ones that come to mind for me are Inside Llewyn Davis, Her, The Wolf of Wall Street and, honestly, Anchorman 2.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: If... (Anderson, 1968, UK) | Letterboxd | Last.fm

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2013-11-02 20:31:04 Reply

At 11/2/13 08:13 PM, Dr-Worm wrote: Are these ones all worth seeing? Because they're all hovering near the top of my watchlist.

Frances Ha is probably my favourite of everything I've seen this year. Really, really liked it. It does ride that line between endearing and irritating that all these "quirky" indie comedies do pretty close, but never tipped over for me.

Wadjda is just a really simple story told really well. There's nothing that remarkable about it (other than the fact that it exists at all given the politics of it and where it was made), but sometimes it's quite refreshing to see a film take things back to basics.

Only God Forgives is visually fantastic, and pretty weak everywhere else. It's a nasty film, and it doesn't really use that nastiness to say anything. It's all quite depressing and unsatisfying, but it is very pretty. I didn't take against it as strongly as some people did, and I'm glad I got to see it in the cinema, but it's not something I'd eagerly recommend.

Captain Phillips- Everything this summer's action movies weren't.

It might sound odd, but I've heard it's not something to see in the cinema if you suffer from sea sickness, and given that King Kong 2005 made me feel ill on the big screen, I think I'll be putting this off until I can watch it at home. I'll look into the rest.

And then there are a few other things I haven't gotten to see yet but I've heard good things about, namely All Is Lost, 12 Years a Slave, Leviathan and Computer Chess. Also, it hasn't been getting such a great critical response, but I still want to watch Escape From Tomorrow for its novelty value alone.

I've actually got the blu-ray of Leviathan preordered, totally forgot about that. Computer Chess has been on my radar too, also slipped my mind.

Also, the year isn't over yet and there are still quite a few big movies coming out in the next couple months. The first ones that come to mind for me are Inside Llewyn Davis, Her, The Wolf of Wall Street and, honestly, Anchorman 2.

I don't really keep track of upcoming releases. The first I hear about most films is when I get the monthly programming guide through the door from my local cinema.

BBS Signature
Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2013-11-03 04:23:39 Reply

At 11/2/13 08:31 PM, TheMaster wrote: Only God Forgives is visually fantastic, and pretty weak everywhere else. It's a nasty film, and it doesn't really use that nastiness to say anything. It's all quite depressing and unsatisfying, but it is very pretty.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. I'll still probably end up seeing it, though.

It might sound odd, but I've heard it's not something to see in the cinema if you suffer from sea sickness, and given that King Kong 2005 made me feel ill on the big screen, I think I'll be putting this off until I can watch it at home.

Eh, I dunno. I get pretty bad seasickness myself, and I'm usually pretty sensitive to shaky-cam in movies, and I was eating a full meal right there in the theater at the time (gotta love Alamo Drafthouse), and I was totally fine. Obviously your mileage may vary, but still.

It's hardly essential to see it in the theater either way, but if that's the only thing keeping you I think it might be a bit of an overstated problem. Paul Greengrass practically invented the shaky-cam style, he knows how to use it in a way that's coherent and non-nauseating better than anyone.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: If... (Anderson, 1968, UK) | Letterboxd | Last.fm

BBS Signature
KatMaestro
KatMaestro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2013-11-03 11:54:11 Reply

May sombody recommend some good old action and triller movie? Starts with 80 to 90 is fine, I don't like boring 2000 (and later) films.

Atlas
Atlas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Musician
Response to Cinema Club 2013-11-03 13:03:08 Reply

At 11/3/13 11:54 AM, Elitistinen wrote: May sombody recommend some good old action and triller movie? Starts with 80 to 90 is fine, I don't like boring 2000 (and later) films.

Action movies from the 80's and 90's. I can easily help you out!

80's
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
Die Hard
Beverly Hills Cop
They Live
Big Trouble In Little China
First Blood
___________________________________________________________________________________________________
90's
The Matrix
Speed
Braveheart
Demolition Man
The Crow

Steam | Letterboxd | AllPoetry | Formerly Known As J-Rex

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2013-11-03 14:07:05 Reply

At 11/1/13 08:30 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Seeing an action movie poster with "STALLONE, SCHWARZENEGGER" at the top in big letters and both their faces on it would have made me shit my pants when I was a kid.

Yeah, but now I feel like I've seen way too many of these.

I do have to say that Schwarzenegger and Stallone have great chemistry together. They really seem to be enjoying themselves and I bet they'll be making films like these until the very end.

At 11/2/13 12:46 PM, TheMaster wrote: So I'm trying to work out what I've missed that's worth a look from this year.
And I plan to see:
Mud
Gravity
The Hunt

These are good.

I enjoyed:
Le Passé (A.K.A. The Past)
Short Term 12
Trance
Stoker

Maybe:
Blue Jasmine
Don Jon

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2013-11-03 21:52:56 Reply

more from horror movie challenge thread.

I watched Cloverfield. Pretty good, actually, but TJ Miller's lines were so dumb. I don't know if that was bad improvising, bad writing, or both.

And I watched the Hills Have Eyes 2. meh, worked for me considering what kind of movie it is. First one is better, of course.

Then I watched Reeker and Reeker 2. I watched them in backwards order cuz I read that the second one is more enjoyable if you haven't seen the first. I dunno, cuz I might not have seen the twist of the original coming and that might have changed tye experience. The movies were meh anyway.

I had watched Basket Case last weekend. All I can say is lolwtf.

I watched This is the End a couple nigts ago, which was pretty funny. It wasn't that great but I laughed a few times. The ending (spoooileeers) where they're all happy and dancing made me think like "what? but their other close friends are damned to hell." Also, a Backstreet Boys performance? That wouldn't be in heaven.

Last night, I watched Brain Damage. Again, lolwtf. Also, the guy from Basket Case has a cameo.

I watched a good portion of a Nightmare on Elm Street 2, but I didn't bother finishing it. too freaking lame, even for that kind of movie. They didn't even follow the whole dream thing really.

BBS Signature
Nor
Nor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Reader
Response to Cinema Club 2013-11-04 02:41:39 Reply

Im sure youve guys seen gravity (some of you)

and I loved it when I saw it a couple days ago

Im going to go watch it in theatres again

わたしのぺにす

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2013-11-07 18:26:59 Reply

I saw The Selfish Giant and Philomena today.

The Selfish Giant is really good. I've heard a lot of comparisons to Ken Loach, and that's about the shape of it. Bleak, full of dark humour and with real heart at the centre of it. Only the second feature from Clio Barnard, too, so I can't wait to see what she does in the future.

Philomena is also good, if not quite as special. It's based on true events, and it would have been all too easy to make a straight drama out of it, but the comedy-drama format and Steve Coogan's script add so much, while crucially never taking away from what is really quite a depressing and serious story.

BBS Signature
Darthdenim
Darthdenim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2013-11-08 03:10:48 Reply

The extended version of It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World is coming to Blu-Ray in January.

About time.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2013-11-08 03:34:54 Reply

At 11/8/13 03:10 AM, Darthdenim wrote: The extended version of It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World is coming to Blu-Ray in January.

About time.

There's an extended version? That movie was already overlong. Great cast and everything, though (why I watched it).

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club 2013-11-08 06:46:21 Reply

12 Years a Slave just randomly showed up at my theater. There was no indication it would show there until now. I guess I'll be going today or tomorrow, but I'm not sure if I should see Ender's Game or Thor with it. Not particularly interest in either.

TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2013-11-08 12:36:19 Reply

Saw Gravity.

Was getting pretty confident that Frances Ha was going to be my film of the year until I saw this. Perfect. Will probably see it again next week.

BBS Signature