New Topic Respond to this Topic
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 8th, 2013 @ 03:55 PM Reply

At 10/8/13 03:35 PM, Makeshift wrote: Just look at the beautiful diary. Also you can rate by halves, I just haven't been doing that, but I think I'm going to start doing that.

Followed. Hope it's actually yours and not some random profile you were just using as an example.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 8th, 2013 @ 04:04 PM Reply

At 10/8/13 03:55 PM, TheMaster wrote:
At 10/8/13 03:35 PM, Makeshift wrote: Just look at the beautiful diary. Also you can rate by halves, I just haven't been doing that, but I think I'm going to start doing that.
Followed. Hope it's actually yours and not some random profile you were just using as an example.

Yeah that's me. I followed you and Dr-Worm.

Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 8th, 2013 @ 06:22 PM Reply

It looks wonderful. Would still be a pain starting over, but if icheck still isn't working tomorrow I'll start a letterboxd account. I'll probably just start one anyway.

last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal / follow me if you think you can handle it

BBS Signature
Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 8th, 2013 @ 10:41 PM Reply

At 10/8/13 04:04 PM, Makeshift wrote: Yeah that's me. I followed you and Dr-Worm.

Sweet dude, thanks, I followed you back. Nice to see I'm not the only one who's obsessive compulsive enough about my account to add every single shitty children's movie from the '90s with no shame. Also you're crazy prolific, do you go see a new movie in theaters practically every day? Or are you just, y'know, a swashbuckler...

By the way in case you guys are looking for other NG Letterboxd buddies, I know Slint and Natick (at least I think it's Natick) also have accounts.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Schizopolis (Soderbergh, 1996, USA) | Letterboxd | Last.fm

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 8th, 2013 @ 10:48 PM Reply

http://letterboxd.com/jackho/

Alright here we go, follow me if you think you're cool enough. Love the site already since the name Jackho was actually available for once. The movie quote in place of captcha was really nice too. And I didn't have to verify my email. Best sign up experience of all time.

last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal / follow me if you think you can handle it

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 8th, 2013 @ 10:51 PM Reply

At 10/8/13 10:41 PM, Dr-Worm wrote: do you go see a new movie in theaters practically every day?

Since I moved to a city I've been going at least once a week I think. Seeing multiple movies at a time too.

TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 9th, 2013 @ 04:44 PM Reply

Went to see The Great Hip Hop Hoax today.

Incredible subject matter. Two Scottish rappers can't get anyone to give them a chance in the music industry. For a joke, one of them puts on an American accent on the phone, and is instantly met with interest. Repeating this turns out to work everywhere.

Soon they're no longer Gav and Billy, they've become Silibil 'n Brains, a rap duo from California. They're quickly signed by Sony and find their lie going way further than they ever expected, as they end up opening for D12, getting drunk with Green Day and appearing on national TV to promote their upcoming album.

It's a really fun documentary, but it's not particularly cinematic so I wouldn't rush out to see it on the big screen. Definitely worth a look if you get the chance, though.

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 9th, 2013 @ 05:10 PM Reply

On letterboxd is there any way to add those fancy header images to films which have none?

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 9th, 2013 @ 06:12 PM Reply

I went to see Gravity.

It's definitely one of the better films I've seen this year. It's very thrilling and immersive right from the beginning. Also, the cinematography and CGI are incredibly well done. I especially loved the shots of the incoming cloud of space debris and the re-entry scene. They looked amazing.

I do have a few minor gripes, but overall I think it's an excellent film that you should all check out.

At 10/6/13 10:24 PM, Natick wrote: i have no problems with it, other than it teetering on one of my extreme pet peeves when they mentioned that russian missile debris was coming their way. it took a while for me to realize they were going for a man vs. nature conflict and that could have been any country but i can't stress how fucking tired i am of generic russians always being the enemy in any american film that can be made since it's overdone as shit and it's not the 60's-80's for 20 years.

That was actually one of my biggest peeves about this film too. The premise that any country would blow up a satellite with a missile is so inconceivably stupid (as the film goes on to illustrate).

They could've just made it a cloud of asteroid particles or whatever and it would've been perfectly believable, but no, they just had to antagonize Russia once again.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 12 July 2014)

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 10th, 2013 @ 05:40 PM Reply

Going to see Rush then Captain Phillips early showing. There was actually one showing last week, but I didn't realize until it was already over. Both seem to have pretty decent reviews.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 10th, 2013 @ 09:11 PM Reply

Some movies I've watched recently.

Maniac Cop (awesome)
Maniac Cop 2 (more awesome)
Maniac Cop 3 (meh)
Demons 2 (pretty cool)
Cube (good)
Cube 2 (was with it til the ending. What even happened?)
Dog Soldiers (pretty good)
the Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford (good movie)
Badass (meh, not like there was much to expect)

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Jester
Jester
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 12th, 2013 @ 03:14 PM Reply

Saw Gravity today, I really enjoyed it. Other than the core concept of it being in space it doesn't present anything particularly new and has a lot of cliches in it, but they're all done really well and the whole thing is beautiful enough that it's still one of my favorites of the year.

[spoilers]

There's one particular shot in it that I fucking adore: the one where Sandra Bullock is detaching the Russian shuttle from the parachute that's caught on the station. The design of the shot with Sandra and the shuttle in the foreground, the station gradually getting fucked up by debris in the background, and the Earth as the backdrop was artistically fantastic and anxiety-provoking. Considering watching the movie again for the sake of seeing that scene a second time.

One thing i'm curious about, though. There were several moments where it seemed like dialogue was missing and I couldn't tell if it was intentional or if the movie theater guys did something wrong. It was never anything important, but once or twice Sandra Bullock replied to George Clooney when he hadn't said anything, and when she was on the radio with the Chinese guy she asked if he had a baby with him and mentioned his singing before any audio of him singing to his baby had kicked in. Hoping one of you folks can clear up whether or not that was actually supposed to happen.

Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 12th, 2013 @ 04:25 PM Reply

At 10/12/13 03:14 PM, Jester wrote: One thing i'm curious about, though. There were several moments where it seemed like dialogue was missing and I couldn't tell if it was intentional or if the movie theater guys did something wrong. It was never anything important, but once or twice Sandra Bullock replied to George Clooney when he hadn't said anything, and when she was on the radio with the Chinese guy she asked if he had a baby with him and mentioned his singing before any audio of him singing to his baby had kicked in. Hoping one of you folks can clear up whether or not that was actually supposed to happen.

I can't recall that first scene you mentioned, but I thought she first tried to contact the Chinese ground station, then realised they weren't hearing her. Then she overheard the other conversation in which the Chinese guy was eventually singing to his baby and THEN she said "keep singing, keep singing" or whatever.

So yeah, there might have been something wrong with the sound in your cinema then. I could be wrong though.

BBS Signature
Jester
Jester
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 13th, 2013 @ 10:48 AM Reply

At 10/12/13 04:25 PM, Auz wrote:
At 10/12/13 03:14 PM, Jester wrote:
I can't recall that first scene you mentioned, but I thought she first tried to contact the Chinese ground station, then realised they weren't hearing her. Then she overheard the other conversation in which the Chinese guy was eventually singing to his baby and THEN she said "keep singing, keep singing" or whatever.

So yeah, there might have been something wrong with the sound in your cinema then. I could be wrong though.

I'm fairly certain there was a problem. When she was on the radio with the Chinese guy the sequence of events went: Sandra Bullock saying "Mayday" a bunch while Chinese guy speaks Chinese -> Chinese guy's dogs barking -> Sandra Bullock howling like a dog while the radio was silent -> Sandra Bullock asking the guy about his baby and telling him to keep singing while the radio was still silent -> the camera panning to the radio as the Chinese guy singing chimed in.

Was hardly a problem, but I thought it'd have been weird if they'd done that intentionally.

Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 14th, 2013 @ 04:36 AM Reply

I really liked Gravity for the most part. It's a fucking marvel of special effects, just visually gorgeous all around, and the 3-D actually adds instead of detracts for once. I can't even wrap my head around the logistics of how Cuaron pulled off, like, 75% of the shots in the movie, and most of the time I honestly couldn't tell what was CGI and what was real. And a certain moment at the very end of the film (I'm sure you know what I'm talking about) is just one of the most incredibly tactile experiences I've ever had watching a movie. The whole movie was such a visceral thrill that I was actually wobbling as I left the theater as if I'd just gotten back from space myself.

Which is why it's so fucking disappointing that Cuaron (or more likely, the studio) didn't have the confidence to just let the images speak for themselves. Everything the movie works so carefully to build totally evaporates every time Bullock and Clooney open their stupid mouths to spout stupid dialogue about stupid backstories nobody cares about. Which unfortunately happens almost non-fucking-stop for the whole movie. It's all so pointless and distracting, and the movie would have worked so much better as a simple survival story. Bullock puts in a fantastic physical performance, Clooney is basically playing himself like always but that does a great job of lulling the audience into a false sense of security; both performances are hampered by the terrible script.

Such a shame, and it turns Gravity into just a very good movie instead of the truly great one it so easily could have been. Even so, this is the first movie to come out in a very long time to actually make me optimistic about the future of big-budget special effects blockbusters, so there's that at least.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Schizopolis (Soderbergh, 1996, USA) | Letterboxd | Last.fm

BBS Signature
Nebula
Nebula
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 14th, 2013 @ 05:38 AM Reply

Here's my Letterboxd:http://letterboxd.com/autumnnebula/

You fucking people make me sick Chat:http://tlk.io/newgrounds "The big bang theory is top notch anime"-Amaranthus.

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 14th, 2013 @ 12:47 PM Reply

I went to see Prisoners.

It's one of the better ones I've seen this year I think. I agree with EclecticEnnui on all his points. I would like to add that I liked Jake Gyllenhaal a lot as well.

The only minor complaint I have is that the first hour felt long winded. [SPOILER] It was pretty obvious that Hugh Jackman was making a huge mistake, but for a long time it felt like the film was still trying to make the audience believe he had the right guy. [END SPOILER]

At 9/21/13 02:22 AM, EclecticEnnui wrote: There might be people who won't particularly like how it ends, but it worked for me.

I did hear some sighs when the credits started rolling, but I did not have any problems with the ending at all.

BBS Signature
Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 15th, 2013 @ 03:24 PM Reply

At 10/14/13 05:38 AM, Nebula wrote: Here's my Letterboxd:http://letterboxd.com/autumnnebula/

Sweet, follow me back dude!

Also, I read your Spring Breakers review and I feel like we were watching two completely different movies. I'll try to leave a comment or something in the next couple days.

BBS Signature
Nebula
Nebula
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 15th, 2013 @ 10:06 PM Reply

I saw Gamer.

Ever felt like watching a movie is bad for your health? The cam is too shaky? They use flashing lights too often?
Well this is that film. I don't know why, but they decided to be obnoxious with the aforementioned camera and flashing lights. I don't suffer from seizures but i felt sick here often.

Another issue is the "satire". It's hypocritical and disgusting. Trying to wag its finger at you for playing any game. If i heard that a 12 year old and Jack Thompson (or some other prick like him) both made the movie. I wouldn't be shocked cause it felt that way.

I originally criticized Enter The Void for it's strobe lights but i take it back. I'd rather watch that than this ever again. At least ETV is fascinating. This is just in-your-face obnoxious and terrible. Not even Michael C. Hall saves this one.

You fucking people make me sick Chat:http://tlk.io/newgrounds "The big bang theory is top notch anime"-Amaranthus.

BBS Signature
Darthdenim
Darthdenim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 17th, 2013 @ 02:51 AM Reply

I've seen people bitching about how Gravity is only 90 minutes.

When the hell did everybody become so obsessed with movie length?

Do people think movies need to be longer to justify ticket prices?

Is it because every crappy summer movie these days is bloated and breaks the two hour mark, and it's spoiled people?

Nebula
Nebula
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 17th, 2013 @ 06:33 AM Reply

Maybe they're complaining cause the movie was so good that they wished it was longer.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 17th, 2013 @ 12:17 PM Reply

from horror movie challenge thread

I watched Bio-Zombie, which was awesome and hilarious, bt the ending was way wrong for the tone the movie had established.

I also watched the new Evil Dead movie which was actually really good.

And I watched Jason Goes to Hell: the Final Friday. I had already seen the other 8 movies before it years ago. Those movies are loaded with unintentional comedy. This one was just as dumb, but was also just weird. And Freddy Krueger at the end? That was unexpected...

I re-watched Heartless. I forgot how much of a fucking bummer that movie is. Good movie, but what a downer.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 18th, 2013 @ 01:08 PM Reply

I saw two documentaries today, the new BFI restoration of The Epic of Everest, which was incredible, and The Lebanon Rocket Society, which was dire.

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 18th, 2013 @ 05:50 PM Reply

At 10/15/13 10:06 PM, Nebula wrote: I saw Gamer.

That film was quite loud and obnoxious from what I remember. I didn't like it much either.

At 10/17/13 02:51 AM, Darthdenim wrote: I've seen people bitching about how Gravity is only 90 minutes.

When the hell did everybody become so obsessed with movie length?

Do people think movies need to be longer to justify ticket prices?

Is it because every crappy summer movie these days is bloated and breaks the two hour mark, and it's spoiled people?

I misread the info at my cinema, because when I went in I thought it was going to be 2.5 hours long. I didn't mind that it was only 90 minutes though. It didn't need to be any longer.

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 18th, 2013 @ 07:54 PM Reply

The Carrie remake really doesn't need to exist. Oh well.

Darthdenim
Darthdenim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 18th, 2013 @ 10:36 PM Reply

At 10/18/13 07:54 PM, Makeshift wrote: The Carrie remake really doesn't need to exist. Oh well.

I've seen somebody bitching that Carrie is not going to be long enough too.

Darthdenim
Darthdenim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 23rd, 2013 @ 03:18 PM Reply

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1981115/board/nest/221049466

God.

Now somebody is bitch about Thor 2's runtime.

TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 23rd, 2013 @ 03:26 PM Reply

At 10/23/13 03:18 PM, Darthdenim wrote: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1981115/board/nest/221049466

God.

Now somebody is bitch about Thor 2's runtime.

It's a movie about a guy with a hammer knocking bad guys through buildings.

90 minutes would have been enough.

Can't stand these fucking 140 minute superhero films. It's preposterous. 120, at most. Even that's too long for most.

BBS Signature
Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 23rd, 2013 @ 03:40 PM Reply

At 10/23/13 03:18 PM, Darthdenim wrote: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1981115/board/nest/221049466

Jesus christ. I'm just fucking speechless.

I guess we've finally gotten to the point where blockbuster movies have been increasingly bloated and needlessly convoluted for long enough that now people actually complain when a movie threatens to not drag on interminably.

There was once a time not so long ago when Hollywood movies were all an economical, efficient 90-100 minutes or so, and not 2.5-hour monstrosities. You do not need 150 minutes to tell the story of dudes in tights punching each other. Fuck.

At 10/23/13 03:26 PM, TheMaster wrote: Can't stand these fucking 140 minute superhero films. It's preposterous. 120, at most. Even that's too long for most.

Exactly. I think the problem is caused by actual basic storytelling in Hollywood movies being largely replaced with "string together a bunch of action setpieces with some byzantine nonsense we cribbed from Chris Nolan." Lazy writers can artificially increase the spectacle of each sequel by just adding more of everything.

Thank god for Gravity, showing everyone else how it's really done.

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 23rd, 2013 @ 04:01 PM Reply

2001: A Space Odyssey is 142 minutes long.

Transformers 3 is 152 minutes long.

I guess Michael Bay just had more to say than Kubrick.

BBS Signature