New Topic Respond to this Topic
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 1st, 2013 @ 05:38 PM Reply

At 9/1/13 05:21 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I saw the World's End last night. It was hilarious, but the ending was shit.

Let them do the best Cornetto gag of the three, though.

"Fuck off back to Legoland" had me crying, too.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 1st, 2013 @ 05:56 PM Reply

At 9/1/13 05:38 PM, TheMaster wrote:
At 9/1/13 05:21 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I saw the World's End last night. It was hilarious, but the ending was shit.
Let them do the best Cornetto gag of the three, though.

Haha, yeah, I definitely agree with that.

"Fuck off back to Legoland" had me crying, too.

The line that had me laughing the hardest was at the climax. "Yeah...fuck it."

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 1st, 2013 @ 06:08 PM Reply

A lot of people seemed to slam the climactic scene for being literally 3 drunk guys arguing with a disembodied voice, but it was easily the funniest scene in the whole trilogy + spaced.

"Yeah. Fuck it"

I recently rewatched Hot Fuzz and it's definitely my favorite of the trilogy, but World's End made me laugh the most.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 1st, 2013 @ 06:10 PM Reply

At 9/1/13 06:08 PM, Jackho wrote: A lot of people seemed to slam the climactic scene for being literally 3 drunk guys arguing with a disembodied voice, but it was easily the funniest scene in the whole trilogy + spaced.

That's not what I was saying was shit. That part was brilliant. I'm talking about the Mad Max shit after that.

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 1st, 2013 @ 06:48 PM Reply

The Toronto International Film Festival is coming up. I'm gonna see a documentary called Visitors and, I kid you not, there's gonna be a live orchestra. My brother's also gonna see the new Miyazaki film The Wind Rises.

Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 1st, 2013 @ 10:51 PM Reply

At 9/1/13 06:48 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: The Toronto International Film Festival is coming up. I'm gonna see a documentary called Visitors and, I kid you not, there's gonna be a live orchestra. My brother's also gonna see the new Miyazaki film The Wind Rises.

I'm considering attending, but it's during my first two weeks of college and I'm not sure if I should blow off any classes to go. It would help if I was going to college in Toronto, but I'd have to take the bus or train from London.

I live near a theater now! Tonight I saw The World's End, which was just as good as I hoped it would be. The trio of Simon, Nick, and Edgar is so damn good. They make my favourite comedies. Walked right into Kick-Ass 2 after that and was actually surprised by it. People have been talking shit about that movie but it was enjoyable for me. If you liked the first one I don't see why you wouldn't like this. The One Direction parody is fucking great.

Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 1st, 2013 @ 11:35 PM Reply

At 9/1/13 10:51 PM, Makeshift wrote: I'm considering attending, but it's during my first two weeks of college and I'm not sure if I should blow off any classes to go. It would help if I was going to college in Toronto, but I'd have to take the bus or train from London.

Oh man, I desperately want to see Gravity on Sunday.

Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 2nd, 2013 @ 09:32 AM Reply

At 9/1/13 06:10 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: That's not what I was saying was shit. That part was brilliant. I'm talking about the Mad Max shit after that.

Oh, that wasn't directed at you, but a lot of critics seemed to hate everything from the final pub onward. I liked the post-apocalypse too even though it was unnecessary. It had some nice callbacks.

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 2nd, 2013 @ 11:26 AM Reply

I saw Space Battleship Yamato (2010) yesterday. I enjoyed it but they could have cut 40+ minutes of it, it's really slow.

If you ever want to see Star Trek, Star Wars, Starship Troopers, Battlestar Galactica (and basically everything else with Star in the title) at once, this is probably your best bet.

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 6th, 2013 @ 05:50 PM Reply

I watched World War Z.

I'm sorry, but this is not a good film in my opinion. It suffers very badly from lazy writing.

Basically, the film is 90 minutes of Brad Pitt running from zombie hordes and 30 minutes of filler material (emotional phone calls to wife and kids, shots of military action and other cliché stuff). Nothing in this film is new or original, the plot is predictable as hell and full of holes, everything happens purely by accident, there's a lot of Hollywood science/physics going on, there's little reason to care about any of the characters Brad Pitt comes across...

The acting by Brad Pitt was okay, but that's honestly the only positive thing I can say about it.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 15 March 2014)

BBS Signature
Jester
Jester
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 6th, 2013 @ 09:15 PM Reply

Saw a trailer for Blackfish today that called it a psychological thriller and here I was thinking it was just about a whale.

Considering watching it in addition to Fruitvale Station and Blue Jasmine. I really wanted Elysium to be good because District 9 is my favorite science fiction film by far, and it's a shame that Elysium is apparently much less than stellar.

Natick
Natick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 7th, 2013 @ 02:58 AM Reply

At 9/6/13 09:15 PM, Jester wrote: Saw a trailer for Blackfish today that called it a psychological thriller and here I was thinking it was just about a whale.

it's technically a documentary about orca captivity

apparently it was so intense that pixar went and rewrote the ending of the finding nemo sequel after they saw it

last film i'm anticipating this year along with gravity

When ever you feel powerless, just remember this.

A single one of your pubes can shut down an entire restaurant. - Conal

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 7th, 2013 @ 10:10 AM Reply

I watched John Dies at the End last night, which was very different and entertaining. I heard a lot of complaints from fans of the book, but I never read it.

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 7th, 2013 @ 10:36 AM Reply

At 9/7/13 02:58 AM, Natick wrote:
At 9/6/13 09:15 PM, Jester wrote: Saw a trailer for Blackfish today that called it a psychological thriller and here I was thinking it was just about a whale.
it's technically a documentary about orca captivity

apparently it was so intense that pixar went and rewrote the ending of the finding nemo sequel after they saw it

last film i'm anticipating this year along with gravity

It's really good. It's not amazing because it's pretty conventional in the way it tells the story, but the subject matter is powerful enough that it doesn't really matter.

Could have been documentary of the year if not for The Act of Killing.

BBS Signature
Natick
Natick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 7th, 2013 @ 11:21 AM Reply

At 9/7/13 10:36 AM, TheMaster wrote: It's really good. It's not amazing because it's pretty conventional in the way it tells the story, but the subject matter is powerful enough that it doesn't really matter.

Could have been documentary of the year if not for The Act of Killing.

oh god, i forgot about that one

probably already getting my film of the year just for the premise

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 7th, 2013 @ 10:10 PM Reply

Not gonna be going to TIFF this year, but I am going to see Riddick in IMAX tomorrow... so that's something. I haven't actually seen a feature film in IMAX before.

Jester
Jester
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 7th, 2013 @ 10:33 PM Reply

At 9/7/13 10:10 PM, Makeshift wrote: Not gonna be going to TIFF this year, but I am going to see Riddick in IMAX tomorrow... so that's something. I haven't actually seen a feature film in IMAX before.

I saw Riddick earlier today. It's not bad, but it's definitely a guy movie. Don't expect to take anything away from it.

TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 8th, 2013 @ 04:19 PM Reply

Went to an all-nighter last night/this morning. The Man With Two Brains, Re-Animator, Memento, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind and Ghostbusters.

Man With Two Brains was a really pleasant surprise. Went in totally blind, only choosing it because the other option was The Fly which I've seen recently. Very funny.

The only one I didn't really get into was Eternal Sunshine. It was good, but nothing special.

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 8th, 2013 @ 04:31 PM Reply

At 9/8/13 04:19 PM, TheMaster wrote: The only one I didn't really get into was Eternal Sunshine. It was good, but nothing special.

That's a shame, it's one of my favorites. I think I have a soft spot for unique/original romance stories when every film ever made has a shitty, half assed romance subplot thrown in.

BBS Signature
Dr-Worm
Dr-Worm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 9th, 2013 @ 01:55 AM Reply

Just got my ticket to see The Wind Rises at the New York Film Festival in a couple weeks. I can't wait, especially now that it's apparently Miyazaki's final film.

I dunno, I was iffy about it the first time I watched it, but I saw it yesterday for the second time (as all the Cornetto movies require, I think) and it made a lot more sense to me. Besides, the name of each bar refers to the things that happen there. What else was supposed to happen at The World's End?

Overall, though, I just found myself really impressed with the movie the second time around, not necessarily just by the quality of the jokes (pound for pound Hot Fuzz is still probably the most laugh-out-loud funny of the trilogy), but actually as a movie. Wright's directing, Wright and Pegg's writing, and especially Pegg and Frost's acting have come such a long way and have become so much more nuanced and sophisticated since Spaced, it's incredible. I can't wait to see what they do next together.

NG Cinema Club Movie of the Week: Genius Party (various, 2007, Japan) | Letterboxd | Last.fm

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 9th, 2013 @ 12:47 PM Reply

I saw Ain't Them Bodies Saints today.

It's pretty good. It's all very predictable, but I think that's the point. You know there's no way this ends well from the very start.

BBS Signature
darkjam
darkjam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 10th, 2013 @ 05:32 PM Reply

I saw Amazing Spiderman and it's pretty good. I found Peter to be more accurate in this than Sam's trilogy, to be honest. The only thing I didn't like is the final battle, and how he gets shot. That was just lazy writing.

It's hip to be square, but it's hipper to be torus! You shall watch and you shall like.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 11th, 2013 @ 11:24 PM Reply

I've been planning on what Halloween friendly movies I'm gonna watch this October. All movies I haven't seen before, as I did last year, but I'm not gonna try to do a movie every night. So far, this is the list.

C.H.U.D
Feast 2
Feast 3
Maniac Cop
Maniac Cop 2
Maniac Cop 3
Begotten
Class of Nukem High
Bride of Reanimator
From Beyond
Tokyo Zombie
Wild Zero
Evil Dead Trap
Zombies of Mass Destruction
Murder Party
the Deadly Spawn
Nosferatu
Dagon
Cronos
Frankenhooker
Basket Case
Brain Damage
the Prowler
the new Evil Dead
Silent Hill: Revelation

I'm probably not actually gonna see every movie listed, though. Are there any I should skip?

I've also been meaning to order Hellsing Ultimate 5-8, but I dunno if that'll wait for October.

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 12th, 2013 @ 04:48 PM Reply

I forgot to come back here and say I thought Riddick was insanely stupid. Just.. crap.

I watched Blackfish a few hours ago and the material is really engaging, but I thought the writers and editor on it did a poor job. It didn't feel like it was put together all that well and I don't want to credit that director for making a good documentary because I think the subject makes the doc itself... I guess that's what I'm trying to say.

Now I have The Place Beyond the Pines, Hunger, and Shame lined up to watch. I've been spending a lot of free time watching It's Always Sunny so I don't know when I'll get to them. Before 12 Years a Slave anyway.

TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 12th, 2013 @ 05:09 PM Reply

At 9/12/13 04:48 PM, Makeshift wrote: I watched Blackfish a few hours ago and the material is really engaging, but I thought the writers and editor on it did a poor job. It didn't feel like it was put together all that well and I don't want to credit that director for making a good documentary because I think the subject makes the doc itself... I guess that's what I'm trying to say.

I wouldn't say they did a POOR job, but it is a very mundane way to present information that is anything but. It's a good film that could have been a masterpiece in the hands of a better film maker, but I still enjoyed it.

Now I have The Place Beyond the Pines, Hunger, and Shame lined up to watch. I've been spending a lot of free time watching It's Always Sunny so I don't know when I'll get to them. Before 12 Years a Slave anyway.

Place Beyond the Pines is on my "to watch" list too, but it's pretty far down. Got a pile of blu-rays to power through before I can start thinking about catching up on the stuff I missed at the cinema this year.

BBS Signature
Natick
Natick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 12th, 2013 @ 07:29 PM Reply

At 9/12/13 04:48 PM, Makeshift wrote: Now I have The Place Beyond the Pines, Hunger, and Shame lined up to watch. I've been spending a lot of free time watching It's Always Sunny so I don't know when I'll get to them. Before 12 Years a Slave anyway.

hunger and shame are great choices even though i'm scared to see the latter. 12 years a slave will be the last slavery film i'll see for a while only because of steve mcqueen and michael fassbender

BBS Signature
Natick
Natick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 12th, 2013 @ 07:30 PM Reply

btw, has anyone seen the hunt yet and if so, would you recommend?

BBS Signature
EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 12th, 2013 @ 10:10 PM Reply

At 9/12/13 07:30 PM, Natick wrote: btw, has anyone seen the hunt yet and if so, would you recommend?

It's an excellent film, but it might be hard to watch.

At 9/1/13 06:48 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: The Toronto International Film Festival is coming up. I'm gonna see a documentary called Visitors and, I kid you not, there's gonna be a live orchestra. My brother's also gonna see the new Miyazaki film The Wind Rises.

My brother enjoyed The Wind Rises. I found Visitors to be quite interesting, even though a lot of it has people looking at the camera. The orchestra did a great job. I also got to see Steven Soderbergh, along with the film's composer and director.

Cinema Club

Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 13th, 2013 @ 09:55 AM Reply

At 9/12/13 07:30 PM, Natick wrote: btw, has anyone seen the hunt yet and if so, would you recommend?

You mean that Danish film? Yeah, I saw it last year.

I thought it was very good. It's a bit depressing though.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 15 March 2014)

BBS Signature
Makeshift
Makeshift
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Audiophile
Response to Cinema Club Sep. 13th, 2013 @ 10:10 PM Reply

Tomorrow I'm gonna go theater hop while waiting for the weekend to pass by so GTA V can finally be out. Elysium, Insidious 2, The Family, and We're the Millers all for the price of one if we can time it right. Bunch of crap - average rated movies with Elysium getting some pretty decent reviews, but I really have nothing better to do.