New Topic Respond to this Topic
SG3
SG3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Mar. 3rd, 2013 @ 07:48 AM Reply

At 2/27/13 04:18 PM, Jolly wrote: I started doing a movie-a-day thing, well.. my goal is to watch 365 movies this year, not a movie every day. (Because I started about a week ago and I had already missed a lot of days)

Best of luck to you.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Mar. 3rd, 2013 @ 10:13 AM Reply

I watched Resident Evil: Damnation, which was awesome. This one had ganados in it, like in Resident Evil 4, and Ada Wong was in it, too. I hope they make another animated movie, but with Chris Redfield this time.

It would be cool to see a trilogy of animated films based on the first three games, if each movie was long enough.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club Mar. 3rd, 2013 @ 02:21 PM Reply

At 3/3/13 10:13 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: I watched Resident Evil: Damnation, which was awesome. This one had ganados in it, like in Resident Evil 4, and Ada Wong was in it, too. I hope they make another animated movie, but with Chris Redfield this time.

It would be cool to see a trilogy of animated films based on the first three games, if each movie was long enough.

The animated RE films were alright, what I'd really like to see is for something to come from remero's resident evil script. Been a while since I've read them but the resident evil novels were pretty good too.

last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal / follow me if you think you can handle it

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Mar. 3rd, 2013 @ 04:33 PM Reply

At 3/3/13 02:21 PM, Jackho wrote: The animated RE films were alright, what I'd really like to see is for something to come from remero's resident evil script. Been a while since I've read them but the resident evil novels were pretty good too.

TLDR

Can I get a synopsis? Is it based on the first game? I saw that Chris and Jill were in it.

Also, I think it would be cool if the same team behind the two RE movies did other Capcom games. I'm gonna have to buy Damnation. I already have Degeneration, though. I actually think I might like Damnation just a bit more, probably because RE4 was the only one I played. I just wish there was a gigante in there somewhere, plus both movies could have been a bit longer. And what were those giants at the end? They couldn't have been gigantes. They didn't have hunched backs and weren't all malformed and stuff.

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club Mar. 4th, 2013 @ 01:56 PM Reply

At 3/3/13 04:33 PM, Sense-Offender wrote:
At 3/3/13 02:21 PM, Jackho wrote: The animated RE films were alright, what I'd really like to see is for something to come from remero's resident evil script. Been a while since I've read them but the resident evil novels were pretty good too.
TLDR

Can I get a synopsis? Is it based on the first game? I saw that Chris and Jill were in it.

Yeah, it's an adaption of the first game. And a good one at that.

I actually think I might like Damnation just a bit more, probably because RE4 was the only one I played.

You should try the older games, Resident Evil 1 on the gamecube especially. If you really don't like the style of the older games you could try Umbrella/Darkside Chronicles instead to get the plot, it's the first 5 games (as in 0, 1, 2, 3 and CV) remade as rail shooters but with the exact same level layouts and enemies.

And what were those giants at the end? They couldn't have been gigantes. They didn't have hunched backs and weren't all malformed and stuff.

They were just generic tyrants iirc, they're super soldiers that umbrella keep making even though they always just go crazy and murder everyone. Most of the earlier RE games had a tyrant as the final boss.

last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal / follow me if you think you can handle it

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Mar. 6th, 2013 @ 08:28 AM Reply

I went to check out Silver Linings Playbook this morning. Minor spoiler below.

I had a good time. It's not my favourite film of last year, but it's pretty good overall. What I especially liked is how about every character in this film seems to have some peculiarity to him or her. It made for an interesting blend of characters which were are well acted by their actors.

My only small complaint is that the film leaned a little bit too much on typical romantic comedy elements at the end. I was a bit disappointed that it didn't do anything to make itself really special. Then again, the ending was suitable and I don't think ending this film with a downer would've been better.

Lastly, Jennifer Lawrence was very good and I have nothing but sympathy for her, but I still think Emmanuelle Riva deserved the Oscar more.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 10 August 2014)

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Mar. 7th, 2013 @ 03:05 AM Reply

At 3/4/13 01:56 PM, Jackho wrote: You should try the older games, Resident Evil 1 on the gamecube especially. If you really don't like the style of the older games you could try Umbrella/Darkside Chronicles instead to get the plot, it's the first 5 games (as in 0, 1, 2, 3 and CV) remade as rail shooters but with the exact same level layouts and enemies.

I was thinking of watching play-throughs of all the games on YouTube, but I've also been meaning to get Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles because I love rail shooters.

They were just generic tyrants iirc, they're super soldiers that umbrella keep making even though they always just go crazy and murder everyone. Most of the earlier RE games had a tyrant as the final boss.

I thought tyrants were always supposed to be deformed and have big ass claws. But the article on a wiki I just read says that they were indeed tyrants. So, I guess they aren't always like that.

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club Mar. 7th, 2013 @ 12:06 PM Reply

At 3/7/13 03:05 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: I thought tyrants were always supposed to be deformed and have big ass claws. But the article on a wiki I just read says that they were indeed tyrants. So, I guess they aren't always like that.

Nah, the generic "successful" tyrants just look like tall bald dudes.

BBS Signature
SG3
SG3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Mar. 7th, 2013 @ 04:21 PM Reply

At 3/6/13 08:28 AM, Auz wrote: My only small complaint is that the film leaned a little bit too much on typical romantic comedy elements at the end. I was a bit disappointed that it didn't do anything to make itself really special. Then again, the ending was suitable and I don't think ending this film with a downer would've been better.

I noticed this too. There seemed to be quite a big tonal shift in the film as the central relationship gained more screen-time. It felt a little bit jarring as it started down that path, but I didn't resent the movie for it. I think the first half resonated more strongly with me, but the ending was satisfying and I really enjoyed it as a whole.

Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Mar. 14th, 2013 @ 09:17 PM Reply

I watched Argo today.

A good film overall I have to admit. It was thrilling from beginning to end, well acted and it tells a nice story. I don't have any problems with it winning the Best Picture, even though I wouldn't even put it into my top 10 favourites of 2012.

The only thing that irked me a little bit was that the film seemed to revolve too much around those six people they were trying to get out. There were 50 other Americans taken hostage who were in a much worse situation, but it was all about these six who didn't seem any more important than the rest. I suppose that's cinema though.

Anyway, it's a good watch.

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Mar. 16th, 2013 @ 10:08 PM Reply

I was with some friends this evening and we watched the 2011 film Ironclad.

It was mediocre in my opinion. It's basically about a templar knight who gathers a band of misfits to defend a castle from an evil king. The film tries to make you believe there's some very important battle going on, but it fails to convince because every fight is actually just 15 guys fighting off 40 other guys. There was lots of blood and gore though, but the action was poorly captured sometimes and I could often not even tell who belonged to which side (as everybody was clad in dark armour).

The first hour was very lazily written. The second hour it got slightly better I have to admit, but the film never does any decent attempts at bringing something original. It felt like a run-of-the-mill historical action flick that's not worth anyone's time in my opinion.

BBS Signature
Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Mar. 18th, 2013 @ 09:59 AM Reply

Finally got my friend to watch Drive (2011) and he loved it. It has been on my favorite films list for a while and I had been recommending it to my friends for a long time now, and I finally got them to watch it on Netflix. They all liked it so maybe they will listen to me more often whenever I tell them a movie is amazing.

a real human bean

Cinema Club

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Mar. 18th, 2013 @ 10:14 AM Reply

Went to see Side Effects today.

Nothing too spectacularly amazing, but the film is definitely worth a watch. It's interesting from beginning to end and manages to be exciting purely with dialogues (plus points to the writer for that). Also, Jude Law is very believable as a stressed psychiatrist and Rooney Mara does a great acting job as well.

So go check this out. I don't believe there's anything else interesting out right now anyway. Not here at least.

BBS Signature
SG3
SG3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Mar. 18th, 2013 @ 02:36 PM Reply

I saw Killing Them Softly yesterday. It had a nice atmosphere and some great cinematography, but I had trouble appreciating it overall. I never fully grasp the plot of crime-thrillers because I have only a cursory knowledge of the typical story-elements they use. I end up forgetting characters' names and their motivation and feel slightly unsatisfied. I guess Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction are sort of exceptions, but though I did enjoy both, the genre just doesn't particularly appeal to me.

Does anyone get this feeling about a certain genre?

Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club Mar. 18th, 2013 @ 08:52 PM Reply

At 3/18/13 09:59 AM, Cootie wrote:
a real human bean

And a real hero ;_;7

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Mar. 18th, 2013 @ 09:20 PM Reply

At 3/18/13 08:52 PM, Jackho wrote:
At 3/18/13 09:59 AM, Cootie wrote:
a real human bean
And a real hero ;_;7

The bit where he blinks was the biggest communal sigh of relief I've ever experienced in the cinema.

Great film.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Mar. 19th, 2013 @ 04:32 PM Reply

At 3/18/13 02:36 PM, SG3 wrote: I saw Killing Them Softly yesterday.

I normally love "slow" movies that let the dialogue do all of the work, but that movie was just absurdly slow even for me. They talk about too much stuff that didn't even matter and the trailers were misleading as hell. Brad Pitt did a great job, but it was too much of a snore for me. The scene where Ray Liotta gets his ass beat was surprisingly brutal though.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
SG3
SG3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Mar. 20th, 2013 @ 06:25 PM Reply

So, what's the scariest movie everyone's ever watched?

Of those I've seen, the movie I personally find most terrifying is Lars Von Trier's AntiChrist. The whole thing has this horrifying surreal quality and this slow-building feeling of dread that never gets resolved. It's pretty quiet and not much happens until the conclusion but that adds to it's nightmarish quality. It's the kind of scary that made me not want to seek out scary movies any more.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Mar. 20th, 2013 @ 06:57 PM Reply

At 3/20/13 06:25 PM, SG3 wrote: So, what's the scariest movie everyone's ever watched?

I don't think there's such a thing as a scary movie, really. Begotten looks pretty freaky, though. I've been meaning to watch it.

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club Mar. 20th, 2013 @ 07:19 PM Reply

At 3/20/13 06:25 PM, SG3 wrote: So, what's the scariest movie everyone's ever watched?

I can't think of the scariest off the top of my head, but my favorite horror films are Jacob's Ladder and The Thing (1982). From your description of Antichrist you should enjoy(?) Jacob's Ladder, although the ending was a bit of a letdown imo, paranormal horror stories are so so so much better when the ending doesn't tie everything up and clearly explain what happened.

BBS Signature
Jolly
Jolly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Programmer
Response to Cinema Club Mar. 20th, 2013 @ 09:50 PM Reply

Of those I've seen, the movie I personally find most terrifying is Lars Von Trier's AntiChrist. The whole thing has this horrifying surreal quality and this slow-building feeling of dread that never gets resolved. It's pretty quiet and not much happens until the conclusion but that adds to it's nightmarish quality. It's the kind of scary that made me not want to seek out scary movies any more.

I haven't seen it myself (because I don't like scary movies) but I heard [REC] is one of the scariest movies ever.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Mar. 20th, 2013 @ 11:10 PM Reply

At 3/20/13 07:19 PM, Jackho wrote: I can't think of the scariest off the top of my head, but my favorite horror films are Jacob's Ladder and The Thing (1982).

fucking A. Those are both among the best horror movies ever made.

At 3/20/13 09:50 PM, Jolly wrote: I haven't seen it myself (because I don't like scary movies) but I heard [REC] is one of the scariest movies ever.

If you're susceptible to being scared by movies, then I'd say that one is a good bet. Either way, it was pretty good for what it was. Halloween could also be a good choice. The suspense is pretty effective. But John Carpenter's the Thing is plain fucked up. I'd say that's one of the best bets. My jaw dropped when I first saw that movie, and the effects still hold up really well.

Let me make a list of horror recommendations for SG3

John Carpenter's the Thing
Jacob's Ladder
28 Days Later
Alien
the Devil's Backbone
the Deaths of Ian Stone
Heartless
a Tale of Two Sisters
Tetsuo: the Iron Man
Trick 'r Treat
Let the Right one in
Eraserhead
Revenant
Three...Extremes

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
SG3
SG3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Mar. 21st, 2013 @ 02:16 PM Reply

At 3/20/13 11:10 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Let me make a list of horror recommendations for SG3

John Carpenter's the Thing
Jacob's Ladder
28 Days Later
Alien
the Devil's Backbone
the Deaths of Ian Stone
Heartless
a Tale of Two Sisters
Tetsuo: the Iron Man
Trick 'r Treat
Let the Right one in
Eraserhead
Revenant
Three...Extremes

Thanks, dude.

I've seen Halloween, The Thing, 28 Days Later, Alien, Let The Right One In and Eraserhead, but I'll give some of the others a watch. I'd check out [REC], but I've seen the remake and I hear it basically ruins everything that happens in the movie.

I'll watch Jacob's Ladder sometime soon. Unfortunately, the ending's been spoiled for me, but I'm sure I'll appreciate it anyway.

YellowisCOOL
YellowisCOOL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Cinema Club Mar. 30th, 2013 @ 12:13 AM Reply

I'm watching The Dark Knight Rises tonight and I saw The Dark Knight. (I saw Batman Begins last week same with The Dark Knight Rises, but I'm watching it again.) All three movies by Christopher Nolan are just awesome. I strongly recommend them.

R O A $ T D U C K - Soundcloud
ϫ It's a metaphor you potato with eyes ϫ

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Mar. 30th, 2013 @ 01:46 AM Reply

I just watched the Faculty, which was better than I expected. pretty cool movie.

And I watched Shaft earlier in the week. meh.

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
SG3
SG3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Mar. 30th, 2013 @ 05:45 PM Reply

I watched Jacob's Ladder last week. I didn't like it as much as I expected to. I guess I just misjudged the genre. It didn't have as much atmosphere as I thought it would; instead driven more by drama. I also felt it was more drawn out than it needed to be, with scenes that could have been shorter or cut completely. For example, I thought the experimental drug testing subplot was unnecessary and sort of undermined the point of the movie. The idea of a hallucinogenic, seemingly neverending dream as your life ends is a lot more powerful without a drug-based explanation.

I mean, I still liked it. The head-spinning effect was really cool, and it was pretty original. I guess it just defied my expectation. I've been meaning to watch Tetuso: The Iron Man for ages now, so I'll probably watch that when I get the time.

Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Apr. 1st, 2013 @ 05:02 PM Reply

I watched Little Miss Sunshine this evening.

I liked it. It felt like a nice twist on the "feel good"-genre. The film has some pretty tragic moments, but still left me with a smile at the end. I do have to say that the dancing scene near the ending felt a little weird and awkward, but I guess it portrayed the point of this film rather nicely.

Anyway, I recommend this one. It's good.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Apr. 2nd, 2013 @ 09:17 PM Reply

I watched Fire and Ice by Ralph Bakshi and Frank Frazetta. It was rotoscoped, which I think a lot of people cringe at, but it was really good. I think it's an awesome movie.

At 3/30/13 05:45 PM, SG3 wrote: I watched Jacob's Ladder last week.

I'm sorry to hear you didn't like it that much. I thought it was great.

I mean, I still liked it. The head-spinning effect was really cool, and it was pretty original. I guess it just defied my expectation. I've been meaning to watch Tetuso: The Iron Man for ages now, so I'll probably watch that when I get the time.

I dunno if you partake in any "illicit" substances, but watching Tetsuo high is quite an experience.

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club Apr. 2nd, 2013 @ 09:37 PM Reply

Just watched Mysterious Skin, I clicked on it on Netflix without any prior knowledge of the film because of Joseph Gordon Levitt, and damn, it's probably the most fucked up film I've ever seen, but the acting is great and it definitely keeps the viewer interested. Not sure if I liked it or not. Could've maybe done with a fewer sex scenes.

BBS Signature
Decky
Decky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to Cinema Club Apr. 3rd, 2013 @ 06:35 AM Reply

As somebody that studied Media at college and has enjoyed films for many years I find it slightly disturbing that the movie set for release in '14 that I most want to see is The Spongebob Squarepants Movie 2. What has become of me.

I said no to drugs but they just wouldn't listen.
Like Page///Art Thread///Latest Art Piece

BBS Signature