New Topic Respond to this Topic
tyler2513
tyler2513
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2013-02-09 21:07:21 Reply

I'm having a Pixar Marathon right now. I have two Pixar Shorts Collection DVD's too so I'm trying to include them as well as the feature length film in chronological order. Pixar is so magnificent and creates so many childhood experiences for me, it's one of my favourite things in life. I'm on Monster's Inc. now however I'll probably start if tomorrow.

BBS Signature
SG3
SG3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2013-02-10 18:56:53 Reply

I just scanned the Wikipedia page for 2013 In Film and the only film I'm genuinely excited about is Edgar Wright's The World's End. I'm sure there'll be more that I'll enjoy, but that's the only one I'm avidly awaiting.

I guess the plus-side is my expectations can only be exceeded this year.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2013-02-15 23:38:53 Reply

watched Frailty. was alright.

At 2/9/13 12:30 PM, Jackho wrote: Recently watched all 5 Alien films. Aliens was definitely the peak of that series.

I think the first two are the only ones worth watching. And I know a lot of people prefer Aliens, but I really think as great as it was, Alien was better.

Also saw Super Mario Bros. Good shit.

terrible

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
SG3
SG3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2013-02-16 07:38:13 Reply

At 2/15/13 11:38 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I think the first two are the only ones worth watching. And I know a lot of people prefer Aliens, but I really think as great as it was, Alien was better.

Alien is definitely the most influential, but I find Aliens has greater rewatch value because it's not dependant on suspense.

TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2013-02-16 08:40:01 Reply

Saw Life of Pi.

It was fine. Nothing special, definitely not best picture material. Incredible effects, mind.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2013-02-16 14:05:11 Reply

I watched Rock and Rule last night, which was pretty neat.

Cinema Club

BBS Signature
afliXion
afliXion
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2013-02-16 18:11:25 Reply

COMING TO AMERICA, a film theory.
For a long time, I always assumed that Semi was the servant of Akeem. However, I've been watching this movie a lot this week, and I've come up with a new theory, and that is, Semi is not the servant of Akeem. Semi is the brother of Akeem.
There are two main reason I always assumed that Semi was the servant Akeem. First, when Akeem walks in on Semi and Patrice making out, Akeem asks, "If you are the prince, then who am I?" and Semi says, "My servant." One would naturally be taken for a reversal of the relationship, that is, Akeem is the prince, and Semi is the servant. However, it does not necessarily have to mean this. Through out the movie, it is obvious that Semi is the more lustful. He says, "This trip is an excellent idea! Forty days of fornication!" And, "do you realize that I have not had sex since we got to America?!" This drives Semi much more than Akeem, so he wants to exalt himself up as much as possible to Patrice to make her want him more. Add to this, that before they made out Patrice was interested in Akeem, so not only does Semi exalt himself in saying he's a prince, but also downplays Akeem by saying he's just a servant, which would give her all the more reason to forget about Akeem.

The second reason I always assumed Semi was the servant of Akeem was because of his seeming insignificance in the eyes of the king and queen. They always treat him as a nuisance. But my theory I think accounts for this better.

The reasons I believe Semi is the younger brother of Akeem are these.
First, in the beginning of the movie, look at Akeem and Semi's clothing. The first time we see them both is at the breakfast table. Akeem and Semi are both wearing something that looks like a sports uniform. Notice the numbers on their shirts. Akeem's number is 1. This is not a coincidence, it denotes Akeem's rank as the firstborn son of the king. Semi's number is 4, which denotes his rank as fourth born. Fourth borns are never granted any special significance. The king is a hard, traditional man, and only cares for his firstborn who will continue the kingdom.

The similar clothing continues through out the film. It is most significant in the beginning of the film, because there they are both still in the kingdom. At Akeem's courtship, where he first meets his supposed bride-to-be, notice that he and Semi both wear some kind of wreath on their head, a black sparkly thing. Only royalty would have this kind of headpiece, no one in the audience does. (Some of the men in the audience have hats, but nothing like those wreaths.) Also, in this same scene, notice that Akeem is wearing a leopard around his shoulder, like the king wears a lion around his later in the movie. Akeem wears the leopard to show his status as the prince, and the one who will one day wear the lion. Semi also wears something around his shoulder, a gold chain of some kind. He does not wear an animal because he will not succeed the king, but his strap does denote his royalty, just his lower rank.

Second, Semi has a much closer relationship to Akeem than a servant would have. At the courtship scene, Semi is standing right next to Akeem, in almost the same clothing as already noted. All the other servants are standing back out of the way, because being so close to the royal family at this moment was not permitted.

When we first see Semi at the breakfast table, Semi calls Akeem "the birthday boy." This would be highly inappropriate for a servant to call a prince in front of the king and queen, but he is not rebuked for it. Not to mention the profanity Semi spews at Akeem when they go to work out. It seems impossible that a servant would ever be able to speak to a prince in such a manner, even in the gym.

Third, it is implied in the film that Semi is just as used to being treated as royalty as Akeem. After the breakfast scene, when Akeem and Semi are walking off, Semi says, "Akeem, what happened to the rose bearers?" Clearly, he is used to walking on the rose pedals, which means he is a son of the king. Also, in the scene where Akeem and Semi are applying to work at McDowell's, Mr. McDowell hands Akeem a mop in the water. Akeem of course does not know how to use it and leaves in the bucket of water when trying to mop. Look at the faces that Akeem and Semi make when they look back up at Mr. McDowell. They both akwardly smile and nod. This shows that Semi does not know how to use a mop either, which means Semi does not know how to do the most miniscule of tasks. This would be expected of royalty, but certainly not of a servant.

Fourth, Akeem, while clearly aware of his higher rank as the firstborn, to some degree still acknowledges their brotherly relationship. When he and Semi see the people wearing the clothes they stole, Akeem cries, "Let them wear our princely robes!"

Finally, and ironically, the most striking objection to my theory is from Semi himself. In the breakfast scene, Semi says to the queen, "I was just remarking to my mother the other day what beautiful skin the queen has!" This obviously means that the queen is not his mother. However, we do not have to therefore conclude that Semi is not royalty. Consider the character of the king. It is not a stretch to say that he is lecherous. We know he is not faithful to his wife, since he said to Akeem, "I always assumed you had sex with your bathers, I know I do!" Note the present tense, "I know I do," not, "I know I did." So it is reasonable to conclude that the king has concubines. And since he and Semi are the only two who are so lustful, it would make since that Semi inherited this from his father. So Semi is the fourth born son of the king, born of a concubine, and half-brother to Akeem. This would also explain why the queen detests Semi so much, and why the king does not treat him with near the respect that he does his firstborn.

So this is my theory, go watch Coming to America with this in mind, and see if it doesn't make sense!

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2013-02-16 19:11:25 Reply

anybody else see this?

Anyway, I'm pretty excited to know that Sin City 2 is official.

Cinema Club

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2013-02-16 20:42:05 Reply

Had a film night with some friends. We watched Gamer and Moon.

Gamer was bad in my opinion. It's horribly shot, horribly edited, the acting is mediocre and I think it really fails to appeal to video game lovers (if that was ever the intention). The gaming world was represented poorly and I doubt this film was made by people who actually know much about video game culture. If it wasn't supposed to appeal to gamers then I don't know who it was for. I can't imagine anyone else who would want to see this. Anyway, don't ever bother watching this.

Moon is a film about an astronaut (Sam Rockwell) who's alone on the moon for a few years to maintain some energy program that some company set up there. The film has a very interesting first 30 minutes, but I disliked how it pretty much gave away all of its plot twists early on. After those twists the film plays out exactly as you expect it to, making the last hour kind of boring to watch really. Even Sam Rockwell doesn't really manage to make it entertaining, despite his good acting.

In short, I didn't like neither film although Moon had good moments in the beginning.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 10 August 2014)

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2013-02-17 13:35:27 Reply

I thought Moon was great.

Anyway, I watched Dredd last night, which was pretty cool. definitely better than the Stallone movie.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2013-02-18 17:10:23 Reply

At 2/17/13 01:35 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: I thought Moon was great.

Anyway, I watched Dredd last night, which was pretty cool. definitely better than the Stallone movie.

Okay, I rewatched it and I think I was a bit unfair. As far as action movies go, it's more than just "pretty cool". I'd actually say that it was freakin' awesome. It would be cool if they made a sequel.

I'd love it if there were a series of animated movies based on Judge Dredd. like straight-to-video one hour animated movies. maybe like 5 or 6. kinda like how they do those so-called "OVAs" in Japan. know what I mean.

Am I alone here? I think it would be unspeakably amazing if a bunch of comics had their own series of straight-to-video movies for "mature audiences". Youngblood, Shadow Man, the Darkness, Pitt, Turok, etc. Oh, man, I'd flip out if that happened.

BBS Signature
ArcadeHero
ArcadeHero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Animator
Response to Cinema Club 2013-02-18 17:45:06 Reply

At 2/16/13 07:11 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: anybody else see this?

Sin City is a masterpiece! I'm waiting for the sequel
It's a good news :3

TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2013-02-18 17:56:00 Reply

At 2/18/13 05:10 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Okay, I rewatched it and I think I was a bit unfair. As far as action movies go, it's more than just "pretty cool". I'd actually say that it was freakin' awesome. It would be cool if they made a sequel.

I was also very impressed by Dredd. Felt extremely old school. You never see blood in action films any more, that alone made it stand out. Reminded me most of Robocop, which is always a good thing.

Am I alone here? I think it would be unspeakably amazing if a bunch of comics had their own series of straight-to-video movies for "mature audiences". Youngblood, Shadow Man, the Darkness, Pitt, Turok, etc. Oh, man, I'd flip out if that happened.

DC has sort of been doing that for the last few years. They won't do really hard stuff, but they've done TDKR, which has naked nazi boobs. But yeah, show me some Swamp Thing, Animal Man or Hellblazer, and I'm sold.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
Jolly
Jolly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Programmer
Response to Cinema Club 2013-02-18 19:09:46 Reply

At 2/18/13 05:45 PM, AStekolnikov wrote:
At 2/16/13 07:11 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: anybody else see this?

Sin City is a masterpiece! I'm waiting for the sequel
It's a good news :3

I watched Sin City for the first time last night. It was pretty amazing, and it's probably the most unique movie I've ever seen. The only part of it I disliked is the credits between each section.

Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2013-02-19 18:33:15 Reply

Watched Schindler's List (finally).

Great film that tells a good story. I can definitely see why this film is considered one of the best of all time.

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2013-02-20 11:59:33 Reply

And I just came back from viewing Lincoln.

It's a pretty nice biography, although admittedly I'm not sure how historically accurate it is. I don't know that much about American history and the civil war, but I read some claims that Lincoln wasn't all that concerned with stopping slavery actually. If that's true, the film does seem to sketch Lincoln as a better man than he may have been.

Anyway, the film was interesting, the acting was good and I wouldn't be surprised if this won the Oscar for best picture this year (not that I would agree with it though).

BBS Signature
Bletchit
Bletchit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2013-02-21 04:05:54 Reply

I recently saw The Master in a theater (alone none the less, absolutely nobody else was there).

It's pretty much perfect in pretty much every way but it's still really hard to rate. The acting and direction is top-notch. It looks absolutely gorgeous. Music is brilliant. But it just feels so... directionless. It just kinda ends.

I will buy it on blu-ray and rewatch it, but right now it's just really hard to grab my mind around it. I can't even recommend it to anybody I know even thought I would want to.

Does anyone else feel like this?

Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2013-02-21 06:39:14 Reply

At 2/21/13 04:05 AM, Bletchit wrote: I recently saw The Master in a theater (alone none the less, absolutely nobody else was there).
Does anyone else feel like this?

Me and TheMaster commented on it on the previous page. I think we both felt about the same as you. Technically it is fantastic, but it completely misses narrative thrust, direction and structure.

I'm not sure if watching it again will allow me to make more sense out of it. I don't think the film tried to make that much of a point about anything, really.

BBS Signature
YellowisCOOL
YellowisCOOL
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Artist
Response to Cinema Club 2013-02-23 22:55:43 Reply

I saw The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button last night. I'm not into those sort of movies but it's still interesting. About a man called Benjamin Button who is born old and ages backwards. It's a long movie but I recommend it.

R O A $ T D U C K - Soundcloud
ϫ It's a metaphor you potato with eyes ϫ

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2013-02-23 23:48:35 Reply

Benjamin Button is pretty good.

BBS Signature
EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club 2013-02-24 01:36:44 Reply

I saw Argo Fuck Yourself - I mean Argo. Yeah, it's really good. The story's interesting and not too hard to follow. The performances are strong, the tense moments work well, like the ending, and the film looks nice with the subdued colours. I think the film could've been more emotional, but it's still a solid piece of work.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2013-02-24 16:31:47 Reply

I watched a martial arts movie called Drunken Monkey last night. It was really good.

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2013-02-24 16:56:47 Reply

I watched David Lynche's version of Dune this evening.

The film got mediocre ratings and I can see why, but I can't help but feel sympathy for it. I think in the end there's only one major problem and that is that there was simply too much material to cover everything in one film. There was too much exposition, many scenes felt rushed and a lot of (interesting) parts from the books were cut. I think a Dune adaptation really needs to become a two-parter or a trilogy if it wants to cover about everything in a proper way.

On the bright side, some of the special effects were surprisingly good for a 1980's film. Most notably the worms looked great. The acting was also pretty good, but I do think they got some of the actors and costumes wrong. For example, I always imagined Thufir to look like some Arabian guy, but he didn't look like that at all in this film. He didn't even look assassin like and I have the impression they've actually confused Dr Yueh with Thufir.

Anyway, I wouldn't really recommend this film unless you're curious after reading the Dune novel. Personally, I'm hoping for a more modern adaptation someday.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2013-02-24 20:56:47 Reply

At 2/24/13 04:56 PM, Auz wrote: I watched David Lynche's version of Dune this evening.

I haven't seen that, but Patrick Stewart playing a Chapman stick is pretty neat to see.

BBS Signature
SG3
SG3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2013-02-27 14:37:25 Reply

I've had to retire my movie-a-day challenge fifty-five movies in. I've got so much anxiety going from moving and all my different courses, I don't even know if I'll be able to finish them, let alone this. I think I'll try watching movies for fun again and see how that goes.

Personal highlights: Jason And The Argonauts, Silver Linings Playbook, American Beauty, Synecdoche New York, Mean Girls (unexpectedly) and probably a bunch of others I've totally forgotten.

Jolly
Jolly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Programmer
Response to Cinema Club 2013-02-27 16:18:04 Reply

At 2/27/13 02:37 PM, SG3 wrote: I've had to retire my movie-a-day challenge fifty-five movies in. I've got so much anxiety going from moving and all my different courses, I don't even know if I'll be able to finish them, let alone this. I think I'll try watching movies for fun again and see how that goes.

I started doing a movie-a-day thing, well.. my goal is to watch 365 movies this year, not a movie every day. (Because I started about a week ago and I had already missed a lot of days)

It's pretty fun to do. I've already watched movies that I probably wouldn't have watched any time soon otherwise. I finally decided to watch the Die Hard series because of it.

I'm around 15 movies behind at the moment, so I've been watching 2-3 movies per day to catch up.

SG3
SG3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2013-03-03 07:20:40 Reply

At 2/27/13 04:18 PM, Jolly wrote: I started doing a movie-a-day thing, well.. my goal is to watch 365 movies this year, not a movie every day. (Because I started about a week ago and I had already missed a lot of days)

Best of luck to you.

SG3
SG3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club 2013-03-03 07:48:33 Reply

At 2/27/13 04:18 PM, Jolly wrote: I started doing a movie-a-day thing, well.. my goal is to watch 365 movies this year, not a movie every day. (Because I started about a week ago and I had already missed a lot of days)

Best of luck to you.

Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club 2013-03-03 10:13:11 Reply

I watched Resident Evil: Damnation, which was awesome. This one had ganados in it, like in Resident Evil 4, and Ada Wong was in it, too. I hope they make another animated movie, but with Chris Redfield this time.

It would be cool to see a trilogy of animated films based on the first three games, if each movie was long enough.

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club 2013-03-03 14:21:46 Reply

At 3/3/13 10:13 AM, Sense-Offender wrote: I watched Resident Evil: Damnation, which was awesome. This one had ganados in it, like in Resident Evil 4, and Ada Wong was in it, too. I hope they make another animated movie, but with Chris Redfield this time.

It would be cool to see a trilogy of animated films based on the first three games, if each movie was long enough.

The animated RE films were alright, what I'd really like to see is for something to come from remero's resident evil script. Been a while since I've read them but the resident evil novels were pretty good too.

last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal / follow me if you think you can handle it

BBS Signature