TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 22nd, 2012 @ 03:56 AM Reply

At 10/22/12 01:55 AM, EclecticEnnui wrote:
At 10/11/12 10:26 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: Samsara
I saw it. Good God, I loved it. A new favourite of mine. This is my review.

It's probably my film of the year so far. The meat processing stuff is phenomenal.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 55
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 22nd, 2012 @ 12:40 PM Reply

At 10/22/12 01:55 AM, EclecticEnnui wrote:
At 10/11/12 10:26 PM, EclecticEnnui wrote: Samsara
I saw it. Good God, I loved it. A new favourite of mine. This is my review.

It sounds like the film is very similar to Koyaanisqatsi. If so, I can imagine it makes for an awesome cinema experience. Unfortunately, it won't be released here any time soon and perhaps it never will be.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 15 March 2014)

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 55
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 22nd, 2012 @ 05:30 PM Reply

I went to check out End of Watch tonight.

It's a pretty interesting film about the day-to-day ordeals of two cops in one of the roughest neighbourhoods in... Los Angelos I think it was. It tries to give a realistic image of what goes on in those neighbourhoods and it also shows the friendship between cops and everything.

All in all I think it's a good film, but I do have one complaint though: This is another one of those films that uses handy cam footage, which I think was unnecessary and it just didn't work. It's nice that they try to apply it in something other than a horror flick, but as with a lot of "real footage" films this gimmick turns out to be pretty distracting. In some of the more tense scenes I could barely get a good view of what was going on which is annoying.

Other than that I think it was good though.

BBS Signature
Wegra
Wegra
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 26th, 2012 @ 07:54 PM Reply

Can't remember did I already join this group? I can never keep up with the clubs on here :P

I have a penis

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 27th, 2012 @ 12:21 PM Reply

Saw Beasts of the Southern Wild.

Maybe the best film I've seen this year. The little girl is phenomenally good, the setting and visuals are gorgeous and are only enhanced by shooting on Super 16, and I LOVED the soundtrack.

BBS Signature
DannyIsOnFire
DannyIsOnFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 27th, 2012 @ 07:51 PM Reply

Watched Horrible Bosses and 21 Jump Street recently. Both above average comedies that had enough laughs to keep me entertained and interested throughout.

|| Portfolio || Facebook || Twitter ||

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 27th, 2012 @ 08:03 PM Reply

I watched Pontypool and Triangle recently, which were both very good.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell
sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
Cootie
Cootie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 28th, 2012 @ 06:42 AM Reply

At 10/27/12 07:51 PM, DannyIsOnFire wrote: Watched Horrible Bosses and 21 Jump Street recently. Both above average comedies that had enough laughs to keep me entertained and interested throughout.

Me and my friends had am absolute riot while watching 21 Jump Street? Who honestly thought that it would be good because based on the premise it had no right to be. It was a pleasant surprise.

For I am and forever shall be... a master ruseman.

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 55
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 30th, 2012 @ 10:28 AM Reply

I checked out The Perks of Being A Wallflower today.

A very good film in my opinion. The first 30 minutes were so-so to me and I wasn't sure whether I liked the main characters, but the film got better and better as it progressed. It seems like a typical coming-of-age story, and it is to some degree, but eventually some very dark themes are starting to surface and I could really feel for the character who are struggling with complex emotions. In the end I felt like I watched something refreshing and special.

There is just one thing that I disliked about the film. I don't want to spoil it, but it has to do with Aunt Helen. The film was incredibly vague about one particular thing and I think the book clears this up a lot more since when I looked it up there seems to be an almost unanimous consensus about it amongst the book readers. The reason I disliked the film being so vague about this thing is because it really explains a lot about Charlie. I get that the film might have wanted to be very subtle about it, and that's good, but now it's so subtle that I think a lot of viewers might miss it or won't get it.

Again, I don't want to spoil it, but anyone who has seen the film will probably know what I'm talking about.

In any case, I recommend this film. The trailer doesn't make it look that good, but I think it is one of the best films I've seen this year.

BBS Signature
o0-0o
o0-0o
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 30th, 2012 @ 07:01 PM Reply

At 10/28/12 06:42 AM, Cootie wrote:
At 10/27/12 07:51 PM, DannyIsOnFire wrote: Watched Horrible Bosses and 21 Jump Street recently. Both above average comedies that had enough laughs to keep me entertained and interested throughout.
Me and my friends had am absolute riot while watching 21 Jump Street? Who honestly thought that it would be good because based on the premise it had no right to be. It was a pleasant surprise.

21 Jump Street is definitely one of the best comedy flicks in a while. Non stop laughs in that one.

Poniiboi
Poniiboi
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Musician
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 30th, 2012 @ 07:08 PM Reply

At 10/11/12 09:59 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: my first ten nights of my 31 nights of Halloween. Each movie has been, and will be, a movie that I haven't seen before.

Rob Zombie's Halloween (good)

How could you forget House of 1000 Corpses and the sequel?!?! These were better Zombie flicks...more screwed up cuz they were underground

no, really...DON'T CLICK THE PIC

BBS Signature
Glides
Glides
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 30th, 2012 @ 08:49 PM Reply

So might as well say it: Disney bought Lucasfilm.
Unless they pull a Marvel, Star Wars and Indiana Jones are screwed.

Glides is done with his post.

BBS Signature
o0-0o
o0-0o
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Oct. 31st, 2012 @ 04:43 PM Reply

In theaters I most recently watched Argo, absolutely recommend this one, and Looper, also pretty awesome.

At home I watched the LoTR trilogy again and Moonrise Kingdom which is now one of my favorite films.

SG3
SG3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Nov. 1st, 2012 @ 08:02 AM Reply

At 10/30/12 10:28 AM, Auz wrote: The Perks of Being A Wallflower today.

I'm seeing it with friends in a few weeks and I liked the book. I've only heard positive reviews so I'm pretty hopeful it'll be good.

I got to see Seeking A Friend For The End Of The World and Safety Not Guaranteed recently. I loved both, the former more, probably, because it's more ambitious, and really recommend them. Exactly what I look for in a movie: funny, pithy, poignant scenes, with likeable (if flawed) characters and an intriguing premise.

Seeking A Friend was insanely well executed (did not expect this from the director of Nick and Norah, which was good fun but not especially exceptional) and managed to find just the right balance between outrageously saccharine and incomprehensibly depressing. Safety Not Guaranteed was very funny and charming, with a perfect cast and enough steam for a satisfying pay-off. I'm a fan of Aubrey Plaza and Mark Duplass, and they had great chemistry together in this.

It's that sort of lo-fi, mellow comedy I'd like to exist in. Seeking A Friend seemed so great because it's really a movie about the human condition; the end is inevitable, and every action ultimately meaningless, so whatever works, man. But it's an optimistic film in the end, which just about works on a bitter-sweet level. I sincerely dug it.

Also I watched Skyfall and it was pretty cool.

powerdude964
powerdude964
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club Nov. 2nd, 2012 @ 05:26 PM Reply

I just recently watched Paranormal Activity and Blair Witch Project. Here are my thoughts:

Paranormal Activity: It was okay. I will admit, the ending caught me off guard a bit, but that's pretty much it. I think what really hurt the movie was the formula. It's the same throughout the entire movie, where it's basically saying "OH MY GOD AN OBJECT MOVED BY ITSELF OMG OMG SO SCARY", and it gets really old rather quickly. 3/5.

Blair Witch Project: Not bad. I can see why it was such a big deal when it first came out. I think, however, that if I were to point at least something bad about this movie, I would have mainly two things to point out. First thing, the characters. Good god are they so stupid. It came to a point that, around halfway through the movie, I felt like smacking them upside their heads. Second, the ending. I'm not gonna spoil it for those who haven't seen it, but all I can say is that, it felt really empty, mainly because they focus the ending on one tiny little detail from really early on in the film. It just really irks me because, everything up until the last minute or so in the movie was done fairly well, and I did really get a sense of the stress going on between the characters, and how terrifying it would be to be stranded in a forest with no idea where you are and how to get out, not to mention also having little to no contact with the outside world. Whatever. If you're okay with the ending, that's fine, but don't try to argue. 3.5/5.

" Finding originality on newgrounds is like reaching into a fishbowl and saying that you're fishing" -Natick
Check out my Reddit, dudes.

Auz
Auz
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 55
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Nov. 2nd, 2012 @ 07:32 PM Reply

Just came back from watching Skyfall, the newest James Bond film.

I think it's very good, but I can imagine die hard fans of the series are less happy with it. I had the impression that the film is trying to break traditions and renew some elements of the series. For instance, this Bond film seems to focus a lot more on plot and character development rather than nifty gadgets, hot women and nice cars. Frankly, there's very little of the latter of the latter group, but that's a welcome change in my opinion. Fortunately for the fans, there are a lot of references to older films which they will probably enjoy.

Anyway, the performances in this film are good. Daniel Craig looks cool as always, Judi Dench carried her role well and Javier Bardem is in my opinion one of the best Bond villains so far. I liked how we got someone out for personal revenge this time, unlike having another guy who tries to get rich or take over the world. It made things a lot more tense and Bardem managed to add a bit of menacing madness to his character which made him seem even more dangerous. I loved it.

All in all I think I would rank this amongst my favourite Bond films. It's definitely a lot better than Quantum of Solace which is a relief to me. So I recommend this. Go check it out.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Nov. 2nd, 2012 @ 08:25 PM Reply

At 10/30/12 07:08 PM, SenatorJohnDean wrote: How could you forget House of 1000 Corpses and the sequel?!?!

I've already seen those, and I was only watching movies I hadn't seen before.

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
SG3
SG3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Nov. 2nd, 2012 @ 09:19 PM Reply

At 11/2/12 07:32 PM, Auz wrote: Just came back from watching Skyfall, the newest James Bond film.

Did anyone else fall for the (spoilers) fake death in the opening? I've got to admit that it got me. Obviously, as a Bond movie, it's got to have him as the lead, but when Daniel Craig's name didn't show up in the credits sequence I thought they were going to go on the "Bond is just a code-name" logic and do the passing-of-flame in a film for once (not as good as the theory that James Bond is a time-lord, but still). Maybe if I'd done any research into the movie I wouldn't have been so easily duped, but I'm pretty happy tricks like that can still stump me at the cinema for a change.

Thing is once that card was played I was slightly disappointed. It was like they started setting it out with a sense of finality and then just reverted back to the "not killed off for real" typical of the franchise. I know they were trying to show him as a fallible hero, but it just seemed to make the first act slightly redundant to me.

Did anyone else get that?

Auz
Auz
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 55
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Nov. 3rd, 2012 @ 09:26 AM Reply

At 11/2/12 09:19 PM, SG3 wrote: Did anyone else get that?

That didn't get me to be honest. It went about exactly as I expected from the trailer.

[MASSIVE SPOILERS]
What did surprise me a little is M dying at the end. Halfway in the film I was thinking that it might happen, but I was like "Nah, they couldn't do that". Then it happened and what I really loved was the reaction from the audience around me. There was this low-pitched "Ooooooohhh...." going through the room. It surprised everyone I think.
[/END SPOILERS]

BBS Signature
SG3
SG3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Nov. 3rd, 2012 @ 10:57 AM Reply

At 11/3/12 09:26 AM, Auz wrote:
At 11/2/12 09:19 PM, SG3 wrote: Did anyone else get that?
That didn't get me to be honest. It went about exactly as I expected from the trailer.

I'm glad I didn't get any influence from the marketing campaign. Probably would have lessened the effect.

[MASSIVE SPOILERS]
What did surprise me a little is M dying at the end. Halfway in the film I was thinking that it might happen, but I was like "Nah, they couldn't do that". Then it happened and what I really loved was the reaction from the audience around me. There was this low-pitched "Ooooooohhh...." going through the room. It surprised everyone I think.
[/END SPOILERS]

Weirdly, that one wasn't as much as a shock to me. I knew Ralph Fiennes' characters name began with M, which felt significant, so I thought he might be the one to take up the mantle, and I guessed she'd been injured with the "are you okay" exchange because the sequence was pretty reminiscent of Children Of Men.

I think I was a good decision, though. Also, loved the chick from 28 Days Later's character reveal at the end. That's what prompted the biggest audience reaction at my screening.

DannyIsOnFire
DannyIsOnFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Nov. 3rd, 2012 @ 11:05 AM Reply

Watched Sherlock Holmes 2 yesterday. I love the style of both the first movie and this one, and Guy Richies' signature touch is clearly visible on them. The plot was a little hard to follow at times, but overall it was a decent sequel and only slightly inferior to the first.

Also watched Bad Teacher recently as well because I've been in a bit of a comedy mood lately. Decent little movie, and Diaz and Segal both put in good performances. Timberlake was a let-down, I've seen him act much better than this. Average comedy really, and of the three I've watched recently (21 Jump Street, Horrible Bosses, Bad Teacher), it was the weakest of the three.

|| Portfolio || Facebook || Twitter ||

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Nov. 3rd, 2012 @ 08:56 PM Reply

copy/paste

The last movie I watched in October was the Revenant, which was awesome. This should have a cult following. The end was messed up, though.

Rob Zombie's Halloween (good)
Land of the Dead (unlike most people, I liked it)
Severance (good, sometimes pretty funny)
Return of the Living Dead (good, pretty amusing)
AAH! ZOMBIES!! (pretty funny)
Doghouse (meh, had some funny moments)
30 Days of Night (awesome)
Rob Zombie's Halloween 2 (didn't care for it)
Piranha (very amusing)
Near Dark (good)
Dying Breed (decent, very messed up)
May (pretty good, also very messed up)
Cabin in the Woods (awesome)
Heartless (very good)
the Deaths of Ian Stone (also very good)
in the Mouth of Madness (quite good)
the Cottage (good, amusing)
Saw 4 (not bad)
I Sell the Dead (good movie)
Tormented (mediocre at best)
the Woods (decent)
the Children (meh)
Street Trash (quite amusing)
Pontypool (quite good)
Triangle (also quite good)
Revenant (awesome)

So, I didn't end up watching 31 movies, but whatever.

sig by Jay11

BBS Signature
powerdude964
powerdude964
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club Nov. 4th, 2012 @ 02:52 PM Reply

Yesterday I watched Wreck-It Ralph. It's an awesome movie, but only one I would recommend to gamers.

" Finding originality on newgrounds is like reaching into a fishbowl and saying that you're fishing" -Natick
Check out my Reddit, dudes.

TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Nov. 4th, 2012 @ 02:58 PM Reply

So I went to a 15 hour movie marathon last night.

By the time 2001 finished at 1PM I'd been awake for 24 hours. It probably wasn't the best film to end on, because that was a real fight to stay awake. Should have gone for Ferris Bueller.

BBS Signature
EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to Cinema Club Nov. 4th, 2012 @ 07:35 PM Reply

At 11/2/12 05:26 PM, powerdude964 wrote: I just recently watched Paranormal Activity and Blair Witch Project.

Funny, on the day of your post, I directed a talk show that I also wrote for a college class on low budget films. These two films were actually mentioned together. I think they're very entertaining.

ZJ
ZJ
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 43
Gamer
Response to Cinema Club Nov. 4th, 2012 @ 11:40 PM Reply

At 11/4/12 02:52 PM, powerdude964 wrote: Yesterday I watched Wreck-It Ralph. It's an awesome movie, but only one I would recommend to gamers.

I definitely loved the movie because of all of the gaming references it made, but I do feel like an average person could enjoy the movie. It's got a pretty interesting story and a great message about accepting who you are. I don't think you have to be a gamer to get this one.

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, & Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo.com & Guinea Something Good!

Auz
Auz
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 55
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Nov. 5th, 2012 @ 12:23 PM Reply

I went to see Jagten today (A.K.A. The Hunt). Comments below might contain spoilers.

It's a Danish film about a kindergarten teacher who gets wrongfully accused of flashing to one of the girls in his class. What started off as an innocent little lie eventually becomes a nasty rumour that spreads all across town. A rumour that basically destroys the man's life.

I have to say that the film is a bit frustrating to watch, as you might imagine from the description I gave above. I really felt like someone just had to slap some common sense into these town's people. The supposed victim eventually admits she made it up and he didn't do anything, there is no evidence he did anything, people make up more rumours about him that are proven to be false, the police hasn't found anything... All the accusation is based on is that the kid insinuated that the teacher flashed to her and kids ALWAYS tell the truth, right?

It just seemed kinda dumb to me, but the sad thing is: I know these kind of things happen IRL too. I come from a small town myself. I know rumours spread around town fast and I know there are people there who will believe anything they hear, no matter how implausible or baseless it is.

Anyway, I think the film is worth a watch. The plot is interesting and the actors give good performances.

At 11/3/12 10:57 AM, SG3 wrote: I think I was a good decision, though. Also, loved the chick from 28 Days Later's character reveal at the end. That's what prompted the biggest audience reaction at my screening.

That prompted more of an: "Hahaha oh come on!" at my screening.

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 55
Movie Buff
Response to Cinema Club Nov. 7th, 2012 @ 04:51 PM Reply

So Dragonball Evolution was on TV tonight. Having watched the Dragonball Z series when I was a kid, I decided what the heck, let's give it a watch. I knew it wasn't going to be any good, but frankly I did not expect it to be this bad.

I can cut the film some slack for not getting the characters to look anything like their anime counterparts, but it's terrible on every other aspect as well. The writing is bad, the acting is bad (even by Yun-Fat Chow), the fight choreography was bad, even the CGI was mediocre at best. Furthermore, the film seemed to be in such a rush, especially in the last scenes. The big climax, the fight scene with Picollo, didn't last any longer than one minute. It's very lame and underwhelming.

The worst thing about it is that they had a $45,000,000 budget and they fucked it up this badly. With that kind of money they could've at least hired some decent writers and actors, without even having to have the CGI suffer from it.

All in all this film shoots straight into my top worst films I've ever seen.

BBS Signature
FoxSage
FoxSage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Cinema Club Nov. 8th, 2012 @ 05:09 AM Reply

i like scott pilgrimvs the world

Jolly
Jolly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Programmer
Response to Cinema Club Nov. 8th, 2012 @ 05:33 AM Reply

I watched Brave a few days ago. I thought it was pretty good. The story was a bit generic but once you get passed that it's an enjoyable movie.

I also watched The Amazing Spider-Man. I liked it a lot better than the original movies. Andrew Garfield is a much better spider-man than Toby Maguire, who I found to be quite annoying. There's a few points in the movie that seemed a bit stupid, like near the end there's a point where he seems to forget he can climb up walls, overall it was a pretty good movie though. Probably my favorite Marvel film.

I watched "Safety Not Guaranteed" and "Casino Royale" today. Safety Not Guaranteed I thought was pretty mediocre. It was a bit boring and I didn't find it that funny. I wouldn't recommend watching it.

Casino Royale was pretty good, although to be honest I'm not much of a fan of James Bond. Should I watch Quantum of Solace.. or should I just skip it and watch Skyfall?

At 11/3/12 11:05 AM, DannyIsOnFire wrote: Watched Sherlock Holmes 2 yesterday. I love the style of both the first movie and this one, and Guy Richies' signature touch is clearly visible on them. The plot was a little hard to follow at times, but overall it was a decent sequel and only slightly inferior to the first.

I liked the first Sherlock Holmes.. but after watching BBC's Sherlock I couldn't really enjoy Robert Downey Jr's version. I didn't like Sherlock Holmes 2.