00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

kyzakay just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The "fl Core" Challenge

21,493 Views | 507 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

The "fl Core" Challenge 2008-05-18 21:35:27

I'm probably going to get flamed for attempting to create a contest/competition, as most artists are, but I have a proposition for anyone who would like to try. I call it the "FL Core" challenge.

Rules:

1.) The only VSTs, samples, and any audio related element must be prepackaged with FL Studio Producer Edition. This means NO Poizone or Sytrus. This also means no Vengeance Essential Club Sounds. Just straight up FL stuff (3xOSC, Fruity Chorus, and TS404 are great examples)
2.) Song needs to be at least 1 1/2 to 2 minutes.
3.) User must upload to the AP, and nowhere else.

The Winner:

I'm still a little unclear as to how the winner will be decided. I'll give you my my original idea, and, if need be, can be revised by your input.

If you post here, state whether or not you would like to vote or join. If I feel you're an artist serious about this competition, I'll put you in a voting list. After a set date (which I'll talk about later in the post), all users in the voting list will PM me a vote towards who you would like to win. I'll count them up and post the winner.

The Reward:

The reward is also unclear, but I'm leaning towards giving the winner three 48 hour Xbox Live Gold cards.

Voting Day:

I'm going to stop taking requests to vote or join on the 24th of May so I can have time to organize all the people voting. I would like the PMs for the votes on Sunday, June 1st, 2008. This will give artists several days to create, master, and upload their song.
---------

I wish for all of this to be successful and hopefully provide the AP with some awesome tunes.

Peace and love,

-Nate

BBS Signature

Response to The "fl Core" Challenge 2008-05-18 22:47:29

This sounds like a cool idea actually, can I join?

I don't know if I'd be able to finish my song in time though.

Response to The "fl Core" Challenge 2008-05-18 22:52:53

Count me in.

Questions:

1. The synths are limited to prepackaged sounds.. so just to make things clear (and I know you said something about 3xosc) does this mean you can ONLY use sounds found in the "PACKS" section of the toolbar?

2. What about mixing FX? Any limit on those? I'm sure some people are at a disadvantage if they do not know how to manipulate the fruityeffects to make 'new synths.'

3. Finally, how is this being judged? Will the winner be the person most creative with a small selection? Or quality of sound? or simply catchyness of the song?

Response to The "fl Core" Challenge 2008-05-18 22:59:30

At 5/18/08 10:52 PM, nal1200 wrote: Count me in.

Questions:

1. The synths are limited to prepackaged sounds.. so just to make things clear (and I know you said something about 3xosc) does this mean you can ONLY use sounds found in the "PACKS" section of the toolbar?

2. What about mixing FX? Any limit on those? I'm sure some people are at a disadvantage if they do not know how to manipulate the fruityeffects to make 'new synths.'

3. Finally, how is this being judged? Will the winner be the person most creative with a small selection? Or quality of sound? or simply catchyness of the song?

1.) No, you can use, modify, and create any sound with any VST that comes default with FL.

2.) Go ahead. As long as you only use settings and features within FL itself, then by God, go for it!

3.) All of the above, actually. Creativity, catchyness, and quality all play important roles.

And as a side note; the winner may need to post the .flp to prove it follows the rues.

Nal1200 and JebbaL have both been added (in my notepad document on my desktop, lol) to my list of competitors.

BBS Signature

Response to The "fl Core" Challenge 2008-05-18 23:04:39

sytrus is prepackaged with the FL Producer edition. just not that the full one tho.

BBS Signature

Response to The "fl Core" Challenge 2008-05-18 23:05:05

Awesome, I've done this before but only submitted one of the songs. I just made an all sytrus song so I'm up for another new challenge (still have to submit my sytrus song). I love me some 3XOsc and I'll have to learn me some TS404s. So count me in on this one!

Will there be a list posted or just your note pad list?

Response to The "fl Core" Challenge 2008-05-18 23:05:59

At 5/18/08 11:04 PM, S3C wrote: sytrus is prepackaged with the FL Producer edition. just not that the full one tho.

Yeah, I was going to ask that as well...

Response to The "fl Core" Challenge 2008-05-18 23:14:06

I'll take a break from Reason to crack my FL knuckles.

I'm Zenon. Stop giving me those weird looks when I have a different name :'(

And I'm submitting music on THIS account now! Check it out instead of on "ZENON" :O

BBS Signature

Response to The "fl Core" Challenge 2008-05-18 23:29:43

The deadline seems a little too soon, but I'll take a shot at it.

Response to The "fl Core" Challenge 2008-05-19 03:15:55

I'll have a go, I fucking pwn with 3xOsc.

Response to The "fl Core" Challenge 2008-05-19 15:39:26

lol That was quick.

Response to The "fl Core" Challenge 2008-05-19 15:45:24

I'm not too great at FL but fortunately I'm pretty good with that nifty little 3xOSC.

I've got a little complaint though. If you win, and get the XBox cards like you're thinking about giving. Wouldn't that prove to be useless to the poor kid who doesn't have one. (Me.. for example.)

Gran Turismo 5.

That is all.

Response to The "fl Core" Challenge 2008-05-19 15:45:53

Sounds cool, there was a similar contest on Dogsonacid. I'll give it a shot.

Response to The "fl Core" Challenge 2008-05-19 15:47:23

At 5/19/08 03:45 PM, Nav wrote: I'll give it a shot

We have a winner!!

Gran Turismo 5.

That is all.

Response to The "fl Core" Challenge 2008-05-19 16:28:22

Should be pretty interesting, I think I can cook something up.

Newest song: Dinosaur Alien

Reviews/comments appreciated!

BBS Signature

Response to The "fl Core" Challenge 2008-05-19 18:08:50

My above post means that I'm joining, just to be clear.

BBS Signature

Response to The "fl Core" Challenge 2008-05-19 20:30:25

Sorry for the triple post, but here's my submission. Galaxy Conquest (beta)

BBS Signature

Response to The "fl Core" Challenge 2008-05-20 10:44:34

I cant wait to see whats Nate cooking in there ¬¬

Response to The "fl Core" Challenge 2008-05-20 14:18:54

Awesome guys! I updated my notepad file, adding the competitors. I'll post that soon.

BBS Signature

Response to The "fl Core" Challenge 2008-05-20 15:56:39

Are we allowed to use samples that are used in the demo songs that came with FL Studio?

Response to The "fl Core" Challenge 2008-05-20 20:12:21

Ok! Sounds like a fun experiment!

The reward is a little...eh.
What if the winner's don't have Xbox?

I would like the be a judge/voter. If that would be possible.

:D
Thanks, and good luck to everyone!

..............The Guide to Newgrounds Audio

Latest Track: Phoenix

BBS Signature

Response to The "fl Core" Challenge 2008-05-20 21:46:58

Just A 3xOsc Tune.

There. Everything made by 3xOsc. I used some effects ofcourse, but the drums and synths were made in 3xOsc.

Response to The "fl Core" Challenge 2008-05-20 22:04:22

Is using WASP valid? I haven't seen anyone bring it up.

BBS Signature

Response to The "fl Core" Challenge 2008-05-20 22:26:42

At 5/20/08 10:04 PM, Anth0n wrote: Is using WASP valid? I haven't seen anyone bring it up.

3xOsc, Sampler, BooBass, Beepmap, Plucked, Fruit Kick, Chrome ,FPC, WaveTraveller, Dashboard, KB Controller, Fruity Vibrator, Midi Out, FL Slayer, FL Keys, Granuliser, and Slicex are all the things you can use. No Wasp. :P

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature

Response to The "fl Core" Challenge 2008-05-20 22:27:51

At 5/20/08 10:26 PM, Rig wrote:
At 5/20/08 10:04 PM, Anth0n wrote: Is using WASP valid? I haven't seen anyone bring it up.
3xOsc, Sampler, BooBass, Beepmap, Plucked, Fruit Kick, Chrome ,FPC, WaveTraveller, Dashboard, KB Controller, Fruity Vibrator, Midi Out, FL Slayer, FL Keys, Granuliser, and Slicex are all the things you can use. No Wasp. :P

Oh, Directwave is allowed too.

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature

Response to The "fl Core" Challenge 2008-05-20 23:01:13

Great idea for a contest. Count me in.

Response to The "fl Core" Challenge 2008-05-20 23:42:56

Oh this is going to be rough without dear Vanguard and Sytrus..

Might as well start a .flp

Response to The "fl Core" Challenge 2008-05-21 02:08:34

I have to say I'm having a serious amount of fun. The sound is turning out exactly how I want it and I'm finding so much stuff out that I never knew before. After this project I'll be using 3XOsc alot more. They make some awesome filters and leads that I've always wanted. Few more days and I should be done.

So when we are done do we PM you or just post it here?

As for a reward I don't think I would want a Xbox live pass being as mine is broken... along with the fact that not everyone has a Xbox. I'm not sure what else you could do that wouldn't take a large sum of money.

Response to The "fl Core" Challenge 2008-05-21 02:40:51

At 5/20/08 10:26 PM, Rig wrote:

But WASP totally comes with the program. If I can't use it then guess my submission is invalid.

BBS Signature

Response to The "fl Core" Challenge 2008-05-21 18:42:01

OK guys, update!!

Competitors:

nal1200
JebbaL
mrmilkcarton
blacknoise
joeynukes
xKore
alchemist94
sialys
nav
anth0n
2nd-edition
SMA
DragonsGrief

Voter:

TMM47

Current Submissions:

None

-----------------

Many of you are requesting a different reward. I can't offer much but I'll try to think of something. I don't mean to sound conceited or cocky, but I guess I can offer many .flps of my more popular songs to the winner if they don't want the Xbox Live cards.

BBS Signature