New Topic Respond to this Topic
Al6200
Al6200
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Education of Dems vs. Republicans May. 16th, 2008 @ 04:32 PM Reply

Recently I thought it would be interesting to list the educational backgrounds of presidential candidates by party affiliation. Below I have listed the top seven Republican and top seven Democratic candidates.

The graduate focus is listed before the undergraduate focus.

Graduate focus/Undergraduate focus - Name

Republicans:

Military Academy - John McCain

Religion - Mike Huckabee

Law / Business (MBA) - Mitt Romney

Medical Doctor / Biology - Ron Paul

Law / Political Science - Rudy Giuliani

Law / Philosophy & Political Science - Fred Thompson

Law / Military (enlisted) - Duncan Hunter

Democrats:

Law/Political Science - Barack Obama

Law/Political Science - Hillary Clinton

Law/Textile Technology - Johns Edwards

Law - Joe Biden

Law/English Literature - Chris Dodd

Economics - Mike Gravel

Communication - Dennis Kucinich

Undergraduate Tallies

Republicans:

-2 Humanities
-3 Technical
-1 Business
-1 Religion

Democrats:

-5 Humanities
-1 Technical
-1 Business
-0 Religion

Graduate Tallies

Republicans:

-4 Law School
-1 Medical School
-1 Masters in Business Administration

Democrats:

-5 Law School

The trend from all this data is pretty clear - Republicans tend to have a technical background, while Democrats are more often than not focused on humanities.

It also seems that Republicans have a lot of leeway in terms of college requirements, and are willing to accept non-lawyers, while all of the accepted Democrats got a humanity undergrad and became lawyers.

"The mountain is a quarry of rock, the trees are a forest of timber, the rivers are water in the dam, the wind is wind-in-the-sails"

-Martin Heidegger

BBS Signature
SmilezRoyale
SmilezRoyale
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Education of Dems vs. Republicans May. 16th, 2008 @ 09:53 PM Reply

Once again a highly comprehensive thread that will undoubtedly go unnoticed.

Your judgements on education and what not are some what spotty, only because your sample size is so few, for example a judgement like 'republican have technical feilds' is based on the fact that there are 1 or 2 more candidates of that education back ground.

i think you'd find stronger difference if you perhaps added more people to your list.

On a moving train there are no centrists, only radicals and reactionaries.

Tancrisism
Tancrisism
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to Education of Dems vs. Republicans May. 16th, 2008 @ 11:06 PM Reply

At 5/16/08 10:26 PM, RadioactiveRabbit wrote: I must say something controversial to keep this topic alive; George Bush is part of the New World Order and likes to abort babies while burning American flags and sodomizing chipmunks over dead Iraqi children for Halliburton while my imagination dies.

There is nothing controversial about stating obvious facts.

Fancy Signature

Al6200
Al6200
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Education of Dems vs. Republicans May. 17th, 2008 @ 08:12 AM Reply

At 5/16/08 11:06 PM, Tancrisism wrote:
At 5/16/08 10:26 PM, RadioactiveRabbit wrote: I must say something controversial to keep this topic alive; George Bush is part of the New World Order and likes to abort babies while burning American flags and sodomizing chipmunks over dead Iraqi children for Halliburton while my imagination dies.
There is nothing controversial about stating obvious facts.

That's the thing: they're not that obvious. Most democrats are under the impression that they're candidates have a vastly stronger educational background than fellow democrats. Likewise, Republicans are often under the impression that democrats exaggerate their educational status to appeal to wannabe intellectuals.

I was expecting this to turn into a giant flamewar over whether McCain or Obama is more educated.

"The mountain is a quarry of rock, the trees are a forest of timber, the rivers are water in the dam, the wind is wind-in-the-sails"

-Martin Heidegger

BBS Signature
Al6200
Al6200
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Education of Dems vs. Republicans May. 17th, 2008 @ 08:24 AM Reply

At 5/16/08 09:53 PM, SmilezRoyale wrote: Once again a highly comprehensive thread that will undoubtedly go unnoticed.

Your judgements on education and what not are some what spotty, only because your sample size is so few, for example a judgement like 'republican have technical feilds' is based on the fact that there are 1 or 2 more candidates of that education back ground.

Well the thing is you'd have to go back an entire 8 years to find an election where both democrats and republicans were competing in primaries (4 years ago Bush basically won by default) - and clearly both parties have changed a lot since then. If we wanted to more than double the sample size, we'd have to go back to 1992, 1988, etc.

And then some would claim that my large sample no longer reflected today's party accurately.

i think you'd find stronger difference if you perhaps added more people to your list.

Well, I think that the biggest trend is that Republicans are willing to give more leeway to people with unconventional (technical, military) backgrounds. But there are exceptions, like Wesley Clark (I hope he runs with Obama).

-Martin Heidegger

BBS Signature
SmilezRoyale
SmilezRoyale
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Education of Dems vs. Republicans May. 17th, 2008 @ 09:35 AM Reply

how about the legislative branch, you'll have 100 senators to work with.

On a moving train there are no centrists, only radicals and reactionaries.

Al6200
Al6200
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Education of Dems vs. Republicans May. 17th, 2008 @ 12:53 PM Reply

At 5/17/08 12:44 PM, SevenSeize wrote: I'm agreeing with smilez on that it's an awfully small sample of people to work with.

But it is interesting.

If I find some free time I'll do it with all the Senators. Might take a while though, and I question if the data will be out there period.

I expected more of them to have backgrounds in law or military, and I wasn't expecting the medical so much.

Well, that's just Ron Paul, and he's semi-fringe (not exactly mainstream, but much more successful then Ralph Nader or Dennis Kucinich).

Yes, and you're right - nearly all of them on either side are law or military.

-Martin Heidegger

BBS Signature
Memorize
Memorize
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Animator
Response to Education of Dems vs. Republicans May. 18th, 2008 @ 12:04 AM Reply

So many from a Law Background, and yet they're still incapable of getting the second amendment right.

TheMason
TheMason
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Education of Dems vs. Republicans May. 18th, 2008 @ 02:04 PM Reply

Now did you put Gravel's Economics degree in business? If you did that is incorrect, Economics is actually a liberal arts degree so I'd put them under humanities since they more often than not belong to the same college (referring to the division within a college) as political science.

Debunking conspiracy theories for the New World Order since 1995...
" I hereby accuse you attempting to silence me..." --PurePress

BBS Signature
Al6200
Al6200
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Education of Dems vs. Republicans May. 18th, 2008 @ 02:10 PM Reply

At 5/18/08 02:04 PM, TheMason wrote: Now did you put Gravel's Economics degree in business? If you did that is incorrect, Economics is actually a liberal arts degree so I'd put them under humanities since they more often than not belong to the same college (referring to the division within a college) as political science.

Oh yeah, I did put that under business. Economics struck me as too applied and technical to be a humanity, but I guess I see your point. Sorry, slip of the mind.

But I guess some of the introductory microeconomics classes could be considered business.

-Martin Heidegger

BBS Signature
Al6200
Al6200
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Education of Dems vs. Republicans May. 18th, 2008 @ 05:02 PM Reply

Why is the data clear? The sample size is so small that the differences are probably under the standard deviation.

Yeah, but it's not like I'm sampling 20 people out of 200 people to draw conclusions about the population. I'm studying the population itself - which is 2008 candidates.

By no means am I trying to study Republicans and Democrats overall, just the presidential candidates. But actually, I think it would be neat to get Democrat and Republican IQ bell curves. I'd imagine that the Republicans would tend to peak around the center, and have a majority with IQs from 90-130, but Democrats would have the majority at very low and very high and very low ranges.

But that's just a guess.

It also seems that Republicans have a lot of leeway in terms of college requirements, and are willing to accept non-lawyers, while all of the accepted Democrats got a humanity undergrad and became lawyers.
4/7 of the Republicans studied graduate law.
5/7 of Democrats.

Yeah but if you isolate it to just the top 3:

1/3 Republicans studied graduate law
3/3 Democrats studied graduate law

And even if you look further, Mitt Romney's law program was business oriented, and his background was technical - not really fitting what your typical democrat would do.

Those numbers are almost identical. Or, are you saying that a greater percentage of the Democratic candidates went on to obtain careers in law while the Republicans obtained other kinds of careers? If so, what are those numbers?

No, I meant that all of the serious 2008 candidates followed the trend. I'm not implying anything about all of the parties members.

-Martin Heidegger

BBS Signature
Vaebn
Vaebn
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Education of Dems vs. Republicans May. 18th, 2008 @ 05:07 PM Reply

I can actually interpret the data very differently:

Dems who do technical degrees actually work on them rather than going into government/"politics".

That simple.

Now let's talk about MIT (or Huston if you will? Silicon Valley in San Fransisco perhaps?) are "blue" or "red" if you want to go down that road.

Al6200
Al6200
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Education of Dems vs. Republicans May. 18th, 2008 @ 05:55 PM Reply

At 5/18/08 05:07 PM, Vaebn wrote: I can actually interpret the data very differently:

Dems who do technical degrees actually work on them rather than going into government/"politics".

That simple.

Now let's talk about MIT (or Huston if you will? Silicon Valley in San Fransisco perhaps?) are "blue" or "red" if you want to go down that road.

That would be interesting but it's totally irrelevant since the purpose of the thread is to look at Democratic / Republican politicians, not everyone in the US.

I would be interested in the political outlook of Boston or Los Angeles. Although Los Angeles has some real slums, so not all of it is the glamorous Silicon Valley.

-Martin Heidegger

BBS Signature
Sajberhippien
Sajberhippien
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Education of Dems vs. Republicans May. 18th, 2008 @ 06:00 PM Reply

At 5/16/08 04:32 PM, Al6200 wrote:

Nice list. I'm starting to like you more with every post you make.

You shouldn't believe that you have the right of free thinking, it's a threat to our democracy.

Med all respekt för alla rika svin jag känner - ni blir aldrig mina vänner.

Al6200
Al6200
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Education of Dems vs. Republicans May. 18th, 2008 @ 06:44 PM Reply

At 5/18/08 06:00 PM, Sajberhippien wrote:
At 5/16/08 04:32 PM, Al6200 wrote:
Nice list. I'm starting to like you more with every post you make.

Slowly walks away.

-Martin Heidegger

BBS Signature