00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

rnimocks90 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Fighting Engine Demo

3,911 Views | 47 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Fighting Engine Demo 2008-05-05 03:29:38

Heya peepz!

Been misisng in action for some time now, and thought I should update NG on what Ive been up to, and get some feedback and suggestion on my fighting engine so far. Lemme know what you's reckon so far.

Fighting Engine Demo

Best described as a scrolling StreetFighter/HyperDimension, youre just a casual pothead chasing is some green, but something big is going down and you get caught in the middle, unlocking hidden powers and taking you on a n epic mythology to protect the world from certain disaster. All of earths great warriors are chasing something special, and you have to take them all down and save the day, keeping your high along the way.

Most of the player stuff has been done, no enemy ai or collisions have been done yet.

Atm the game has :

- variety of melee combo attacks and linkers, from crouching, standing, to airbourne.
- attacks will alternate left and right side - eg a weak punch will use left arm then right and so on
- proper special moves and button triggers eg F,D,F+ Punch does an Shoryuken style uppercut.
- charge attacks, for punching, kicking and kiblasts.
- player can turn around manually, from standing quickturn to airbourne moonsault and within a combo for multidirectional combat. Animation varies with timing.
- variety of ki attacks, from fodder to superbeams.
- blocking, dodging and countering, evasive double-dashes (bit buggy so some disabled for this swf)
- camera shaking and screen damage from kiblasts
- basic lighting system (bit buggy)

Working on
- dummy enemy
- attack collisions and hurt reactions (front/back/up/down)
- multidirectional meteor combo system eg powerhit, teleport, powerhit, teleport etc
- enemy ai
- player hud (the green bar is an energy meter, not linked to anything yet.
- item collection - gunja types/ munchies/ weapons/ keys
- special move progression
- experience based on attackstyle - learn attacks based on how you fight.
- player gfx change with experience
- level design

Enjoy :D

Response to Fighting Engine Demo 2008-05-05 04:31:09

thats looking sweet

Response to Fighting Engine Demo 2008-05-05 04:52:27

Cheers :D

Ive noticed some of the combo delays are a bit off on that page. BDB for example needs to be done slowly to avoid backflipping. BDB, Punch (on the ground) is a cool fatality type attack

Response to Fighting Engine Demo 2008-05-05 05:29:39

Wow, this is amazing. I cant wait to play it with AI!

Response to Fighting Engine Demo 2008-05-05 05:51:24

Amazing. I've got some suggestions for when it's released.
UBER SUGGESTIONS:
Make the move list printable. I spent ages writing mout all the combos on a sheet of paper, lol.
Have a sandbox mode with a dummy to train on.
Give it an interesting storyline.
Loks sweet so far though.

Click my sig for a hilarious thread.

BBS Signature

Response to Fighting Engine Demo 2008-05-05 06:12:29

At 5/5/08 05:51 AM, Wolfears2 wrote:
Make the move list printable. I spent ages writing mout all the combos on a sheet of paper, lol.
Have a sandbox mode with a dummy to train on.
Give it an interesting storyline.

The combos have a pattern to them. Mostly FF, FDF or BDB for basics. BDF and DBF for higher level stuff.
I will release a proper moveslist when it all comes to fruition. Most melee attacks will be learnt anyway and depend on your style of play. Energy attacks require you to collect and smoke gunja to keep your high, and too will be learnt in the same manner.

Im working on a dummy - will be practice mode of course.

The storyline will be kinda cliche but different. Its kinda like a slapstick battle royale for a 'chaos emerald' type thing, but with a drug theme and character relationships.

Give me some move ideas! I want shitloads of em. I plan to make it so every time you play you learn a different set of moves based on your fighting style - defensive/offensive/power/agility etc

Response to Fighting Engine Demo 2008-05-05 06:23:23

So far it looks really good!

I think the most usual flaws of fighting games like this one is
Slow walking
Stick figures (Omg I am so tired of stick figures)
to few controls (button mashers)
This doesn't have any of these. So, will you like... give out the engine when it's done :3?

There is no dread, only dreadlocks.

Response to Fighting Engine Demo 2008-05-05 06:28:11

At 5/5/08 06:23 AM, Milton0 wrote: So, will you like... give out the engine when it's done :3?

When its done I do plan to take a level and the menu system, strip em down and give it to the people :3

Response to Fighting Engine Demo 2008-05-05 08:29:38

Noone have any special move suggestions?

Response to Fighting Engine Demo 2008-05-05 08:44:22

it's really good but i have some tips for ya:
add more combo's and make a hp bar and enemies.
and don't make him turn in space key...
do it with left & right keys don't use space key.
and make a move thet if the enemy is dead u can do him finish move(like in MK).

BBS Signature

Response to Fighting Engine Demo 2008-05-05 09:03:28

At 5/5/08 08:44 AM, BloodSucker150 wrote:

Thats why im asking for special move ideas, and i did mention Im working on enemies and HUD. Thought that would be a given anyway. If youre smart you will see how you can mix up the existing combos and moves into juggle attacks.

Nonononono. NO. You are fighting multiple people at once. When you are in a fight, real or game, you want to be able to advance or step back. Not to mention turning your back makes you vulnerable.
You can use turn during combos and in the air. This is how you fight multiple opponents on both sides of you. This is MK Mythologies - StreetFighter style. Certain things, like throws which im working on, will turn you automatically. Using turn effectively will also increase your agility stats, thus earning you particular moves, like ones which with bigger attack radius..

Theres one in there so far. Im asking for actual move ideas.

Response to Fighting Engine Demo 2008-05-05 09:22:19

At 5/5/08 09:03 AM, KynetiK-27 wrote:
At 5/5/08 08:44 AM, BloodSucker150 wrote:
Thats why im asking for special move ideas, and i did mention Im working on enemies and HUD. Thought that would be a given anyway. If youre smart you will see how you can mix up the existing combos and moves into juggle attacks.

Nonononono. NO. You are fighting multiple people at once. When you are in a fight, real or game, you want to be able to advance or step back. Not to mention turning your back makes you vulnerable.
You can use turn during combos and in the air. This is how you fight multiple opponents on both sides of you. This is MK Mythologies - StreetFighter style. Certain things, like throws which im working on, will turn you automatically. Using turn effectively will also increase your agility stats, thus earning you particular moves, like ones which with bigger attack radius..

Theres one in there so far. Im asking for actual move ideas.

ok so here is a combo move for ya:
make him get out power sword and then he can slice him or in outher combo thet there he's cut his head!
and one make him do a blood circle around him.
and do a spikes in the top of the place and then he can give him a hit thet make him go up and stuck in the spikes :) <( :-))-----
it a good idea!

BBS Signature

Response to Fighting Engine Demo 2008-05-05 09:49:17

It a very good demo but you should make it feel like newgrounds rumble because that game is one of the best fighting games on newgrounds.

A dog rules while a god drools or is that the opposite?

BBS Signature

Response to Fighting Engine Demo 2008-05-05 10:20:34

There is a blade rush fatality in there, a quick decapitation is a good idea though.
Oh and i plan to have lots of blood fx, and dismemberment when sliced.
The spikes idea is sooo MKII its not funny, but i should have map hazards.
Newgrounds rumble is a really different engine though, and thees no point mimicking it for the sake of similiarity. This isnt super smash brothers, its streetfighter with blood and drug references.

Response to Fighting Engine Demo 2008-05-05 11:24:37

Very basic annoying thing - when jumping and moving forward for example, you cannot change your moving direction (you jumped forward, and that's it. there's a trap - you just watch your hero dying ;) )

Greetings for the good job.. Keep working though ;)

Response to Fighting Engine Demo 2008-05-05 11:26:31

At 5/5/08 11:24 AM, fourpixels wrote: Very basic annoying thing - when jumping and moving forward for example, you cannot change your moving direction (you jumped forward, and that's it. there's a trap - you just watch your hero dying ;) )

Can you change direction when you jump? :P

Response to Fighting Engine Demo 2008-05-05 11:32:08

seing as its based on street fighter you shuld do some like dragon punch flying upecut things
also u shuld add a super bar for like super combos like a giant beam and stuff
finaly he shuld have a move that like pick peeple up and you can slam them against walls (that last one is probobly too complex though)

Response to Fighting Engine Demo 2008-05-05 11:34:42

If you press "W" you jump. If you press "W" while pressing "D" you jump (let's say) 50px forward. When you are walking, do you do exactly 1meter steps each time ?

What I mean is that the movement while jumping is not a constant. I would like to jump and move only 5px forward, or let's say 50 back. This is not a constant value, just like walking. Otherwise you should make it when key "D" is pressed - the hero is moving 50px forward. Not 5, not 10.

Do you get my point ?

Response to Fighting Engine Demo 2008-05-05 11:41:49

Please read the help/movelist stuff ingame (pressing 2,3,4)

At 5/5/08 11:32 AM, therb8 wrote: seing as its based on street fighter you shuld do some like dragon punch flying upecut things

There is, trying pressing FDF Punch

also u shuld add a super bar for like super combos like a giant beam and stuff

Its there just not linked to anything yet. Read my notes in first post. You need to be sufficiently stoned to do energy attacks.
Try pressing BDF Energy for a superbeam attack.

finaly he shuld have a move that like pick peeple up and you can slam them against walls (that last one is probobly too complex though)

Im working on a throw, but i need to do more of my enemy stuff first. Walls will be uncommon, usually destructible. At certain points where you cant walk further right but there is no wall, the screen edge will act as a wall (i think, im undecided on this because of meteor combo ideas). Anyway, if there is a wall, you will be able to throw him into it. Im not sure whether to do a 'smash head into the wall' attack, almost like The Warriors.

Response to Fighting Engine Demo 2008-05-05 11:47:18

At 5/5/08 11:34 AM, fourpixels wrote: If you press "W" you jump. If you press "W" while pressing "D" you jump (let's say) 50px forward. When you are walking, do you do exactly 1meter steps each time ?

What I mean is that the movement while jumping is not a constant. I would like to jump and move only 5px forward, or let's say 50 back. This is not a constant value, just like walking. Otherwise you should make it when key "D" is pressed - the hero is moving 50px forward. Not 5, not 10.

Do you get my point ?

Umm maybe

Walking and running should move you at a constant speed (although there is a slide effect when you change directions when running)

When you jump across, you will always go the same distance. You start with an intitial x/y velocity, then gravity and friction carry you the rest of the way.

Do you want it so if you jump straight up, you can move slightly left and right?

Response to Fighting Engine Demo 2008-05-05 12:13:16

What I mean is that jumping straight is simply walking straight but with y changing. So when you move forward (let's say you've pressed "D"), you move 5 to 10 px forward. When you walk and jump, you move about 50, and there is no way you can change that (move back). Example: you are playing, and your player is almost at the end of the screen (need scrolling). You walk, jump, but you see a trap. You want to avoid it, but you can't stop it - your hero is moving straight exactly 50 px.

Response to Fighting Engine Demo 2008-05-05 12:19:00

I like that you turn around on spacebar, it makes it feel more like streetfighter and less like Newgrounds rumble (wich isn't a bad game but it doesn't seem to be what he's trying to do).
Finishing moves would be very good. I like gore but I'm not sure how much you were planning to have. But I'm thinking if you could like crush someones skull with your hands...
yay for the engine :3, we wants it...

There is no dread, only dreadlocks.

Response to Fighting Engine Demo 2008-05-05 12:29:09

At 5/5/08 12:13 PM, fourpixels wrote: What I mean is that jumping straight is simply walking straight but with y changing. So when you move forward (let's say you've pressed "D"), you move 5 to 10 px forward. When you walk and jump, you move about 50, and there is no way you can change that (move back). Example: you are playing, and your player is almost at the end of the screen (need scrolling). You walk, jump, but you see a trap. You want to avoid it, but you can't stop it - your hero is moving straight exactly 50 px.

I see. The way i see it this is how it should be, this is realistic. When you are falling and you see your gonna land in trouble , you shit yourself, no?
Well you have a few options.

1) When you want to turn in the air, you need to be either moving upwards, or as a combo move. So if you quickly punched and tapped space, you should get a doublejump-like effect.

2) You will have a teleport/ speed dodge move - you could use that and move out the way.

3) Use the ki chargeattack and propel yourself backwards.

4) press FF K and flykick horizontally, hopefully missing it.

This seems realistic to me, You have to be resourceful if you put yourself in a bad position.

Im thinking a kind of boost system would be nice, so you could quickly do a short burst of energy that pushes you forwards backwards.

Response to Fighting Engine Demo 2008-05-05 19:17:12

At 5/5/08 12:19 PM, Milton0 wrote: I like that you turn around on spacebar, it makes it feel more like streetfighter and less like Newgrounds rumble (wich isn't a bad game but it doesn't seem to be what he's trying to do).
Finishing moves would be very good. I like gore but I'm not sure how much you were planning to have. But I'm thinking if you could like crush someones skull with your hands...
yay for the engine :3, we wants it...

Reminds me of a Jax Fatality :P I like.
With blood, im thinking of fbf anime-style blood drawn on enemy where relevant, with a simple radial particle effect for drops. I wantblood to stay on the ground but it will have to timeout for lag reasons.

Response to Fighting Engine Demo 2008-05-06 08:05:45

i did a move that cracked the screen, but it's not on your list and i forgot wich keys i pressed XD

Response to Fighting Engine Demo 2008-05-06 08:51:00

At 5/6/08 08:05 AM, l-minus-l wrote: i did a move that cracked the screen, but it's not on your list and i forgot wich keys i pressed XD

There are 2 attacks which will do this but there is only one in the movelist.

FBF+ E
3D Fodder - this will fire 2 kiblasts outwards which then arc into each other and fragment spherically. I think the kiblasts need to be smaller though.

BDB + E
This is kind of a spare animation slot ive been using for testing. Doing this will launch about 20 kiblasts spherically outwards.

Ive been thinking the 3D Fodder move should evolve like this (btw you earn new moves after levelups/epic battles) :

After learning basic ki blasts you learn this move if youre a 'defensive energy user', but it doesnt fragment.
You then can alter it midflight to do a near and far version, or to loop around and collide behind the player.
Then can alter it midflight so you can tell it to fragment
Then can alter it midflight so they orbit the player for a bit until they die out, can be a shield or to attack on both sides at once.

This is kinda how i want most of my moves to evolve, but branch depending on playstyle. Any ideas when you look at it this way?

Response to Fighting Engine Demo 2008-05-06 17:15:35

so the game knows wich moves you've been using the most and gives you new ones based on them? so if i use the E attack a shitload i'll end up learning nothing but E attacks? that's sweet =O

Response to Fighting Engine Demo 2008-05-06 21:20:06

At 5/6/08 05:15 PM, l-minus-l wrote: so the game knows wich moves you've been using the most and gives you new ones based on them? so if i use the E attack a shitload i'll end up learning nothing but E attacks? that's sweet =O

Thats pretty much the jist of it, it will also take into account whether you attack more than you defend, and hopefully how often you jump and turnattack. You will only gan exp once an enemy has been killed. Also note that if you plan to do nothing but fire kiblast fodder, the enemy will more than likely deflect them back Budokai style.

Response to Fighting Engine Demo 2008-05-06 22:06:49

HOLY SHIT THATS AWESOME

I can't tell if you're joking, because you never use emoticons. ~ SolidToad

BBS Signature

Response to Fighting Engine Demo 2008-05-06 22:12:11

The Energy attacks were really cool. I can't wait to see otherr characters you create if you plan on it. :P