00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

markololohands just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Mac8 - Music to Motion

7,738 Views | 45 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Mac8 - Music to Motion 2008-04-30 22:53:47

Welcome to the

Monthly Audio Contest 2008 - May Motion to Music!.

CONTEST ENDS May 30th 2008 11:59:59 PM NEWGROUNDS TIME

THERE IS NO PICTURE THIS TIME, OKAY, THERE IS NO TYME NAO! IT'S NOT IMPORTANT!

Motion to Music!?
- For so long we at the audio portal have been making themes to our own accord. Given an idea, a destination, or snippet of something else you, the audio contributors have been running around happy as can be, doing what you want.

WELL NO MORE! THIS TIME IT'S PERSONALLY DIFFERENT!

Currently East West producers are holding a competiton (details can be found here!) to score for a short animation developed by Zennor Alexander and Fiona Soe Paing.

We will have our own NG rendition of this contest. Many of us don't have their libraries so it would only make sense that this condition be removed from our take. You are free to use whatever you want, with whatever sounds you want. The movie is ambiguous enough to grant you as much flexibility as you want, without giving you enough leeway to just go stupid on it.

What?

Shut up >:(, pay attention.

NO U!

>:'(

About the Contest this month
- The contest is open to any theme/genre you please, but the music must feel like it belongs to the animation. We don't want to see random crap that sounds good, we want random crap that sounds good and links to the movie.

- You are allowed to submit 2 pieces of music to be judged, and as many other extra's as you'd like to throw into the pile. Why not!?

- You will recieve a MUCH harder judgement if your piece is old, and you decided "hey, it KINDA, ALMOST, MAAAAYBE fits with the animation!", then you've wasted everybodies time. Unless it really breaks our souls and shatters our mental well being it's so good, and nobody is that good.

- This is incredible experience for you as composers to try your hand at expressing yourselves through not just your ideas, but through a filter set in front of you. Many of you probably don't know how it feels to really limit yourself through an activity like this, and let me assure you once the Newgrounds API kicks off, and animators are looking for "the composer" for their super duper game, and you can potentially make money off it, you'll all go "Bless that MaestroAngerIssues and the experience he gaveth to us".

Download the movies here
Quicktime 7 - H.264 codec
* Large (45MB)

WMV 9
* Large (31MB)

AVI
* Medium (42MB)

Awards
1st) $200 + Shirt/stickers
OR $100 + $100 NG Merchandise + Free shirt/stickers
OR $200 NG Merchandise + Free shirt/stickers

2nd) $100 + shirt
OR $100 NG Merchandise + Free shirt/stickers

3rd) $100 + shirt
OR $100 NG Merchandise + Free shirt/stickers

4th) Free shirt/stickers
5th) Free shirt/stickers

6th - 10th) mockery... cruel CRUEL mockery.

- Front Page Spots for the top four songs!

- Hopefully somebody will help make a sig for us! If you're interested in lending a photoshopping hand, let us know!

- At the end of the day, a poll will be held to declare a "Peoples favorite!", the winner of this small scale contest will recieve
-- promotional space on my site Symphony of Specters
-- Our undying love and affection.

- Since this contest relies on visuals and not just music, it is debatable whether having our good drunk friend PyschoGoldfish DJ it up on RadioGrounds! If you havn't already congratulate him on his recruitment as Newgrounds Staff! DO IT!

ADDITIONAL ASSISTANCE
I have prepared a short document with an example to some flash animations personally scored for. In this document will be how I went about undertaking these animations, hopefully they will provide you with some ideas of your own. Make no mistake these ideas and guides are by no means "the holy grail" of scoring, just one of many. You may or may not agree, thats fine.

- Document/Page

Don't forget to visit the free VST(i)/Samples/Refill page, to up your arsenal or just for kicks.

- Free VST(i)/Samples/Refills
- Free movie editor/renderer

Response to Mac8 - Music to Motion 2008-04-30 22:57:32

Entering the Contest, Basic Rules
1 - Check the Rules for Submitting Audio to the NGAP. If you still are unsure what's OK to upload and what's not, check this thread. Basically, you must not submit material that include samples you have no copyright/permission to use.

2 - Make a song according to these rules! FO SHO!

3 - Submit the song to the NG Audio Portal.

4 - Go to this thread and post a link to your songpage. You risk not getting on the list of submissions if you do not post links to your songs. Also include the audio title.

5 - POST YOUR SUBMISSIONS IN THIS THREAD, TALK ABOUT BLASPHEMY AND CRAP IN THE DISCUSSION THREAD! (You are allowed to talk about WIP's there if you'd like)

6 - Do not break any of the rules stated in this thread. If you intend on submitting with different profiles, notify Maestrorage or Rucklo about this. If we find out that you break the rules, you risk being disqualified from this contest. Depending on how serious your actions are, you might get banned from the contest for some time. Basic BBS rules apply in this thread too, of course. If there are posts that are irrelevant for the contest/spam, a moderator will clean it up. This mean your post(s) might get deleted, and you risk getting banned from the NG BBS. All according to the BBS rules and the forum specific Audio Forum rules.

7 - You should have your submission signed up for the contest in this thread by 30th of May. If you cannot post for one reason or another, PM or e-mail MaestroRage or Rucklo, enter a valid reason why you can't do it yourself, and we'll see to it that your contest entry is in. To make it even clearer; - No submissions will be accepted when May 30nd is up.

8 - It is now possible to update songs one have submitted to the contest, and it is allowed to do so. However, when May 30th is up, no more updates are allowed. The songs will be downloaded by this time, and distributed amongst the judges (or if they choose to download the songs themselves) to avoid the risk of somone updating the song post deadline.

9 10 finalist songs at the end of the day!

10 - LOL (A ROFL IS NOT ALLOWED)

Extra notes
- The judging will be done similiar to prevous MAC's, nobody escapes alive. :)

- Rules, guidelines and other things that this contest have, may change as time goes by. If anything changes, you will find out by staying updated to this thread.

- There will be two threads, one for submissions, and one for talking about songs and what not. DO NOT POST IN THE ENTRIES THREAD UNLESS YOU ARE ENTERING. Otherwise a deleted post is you.

- If you have any bright ideas for future MACs, don't be shy to PM Maestrorage or Rucklo
with your ideas.

MAC8 - May Crewmembers and their function.
MaestroRage - Chief Judge, creator of the judging system. Likes to insult mothers, is providing laughable prizes :'(?
PsychoGoldfish - DJ who will announce the winners live on radiogrounds.com, (MAYBE?)
DarKsidE555 - Listmaster, updates the list of new submissions with new entries since the previous update marked.
TomFulp - Provides the awards along with creating/managing this website, newgrounds.com.
Rucklo - Contest manager and mascot.

Previous Audio Contest in the Audio Forum
MAC8 - Pico Punchout!
MAC8 - Feb/March Pillars of Pico!
MAC7 - June CASTLE CRASHERS theme.
MAC7 - May REDESIGN, FRONTPAGE THEME!
MAC7 - March (+April) PICO LOOP theme.
MAC7 - February PICO TREASURE HUNT!
Mrac06 - December
Mrac06 - November
MAC6 - October X-MAS theme
MAC6 - August TANKMEN theme
MAC6 - July OPEN CONTEST
Heaviest riff ever competition! (2006)
March Contest (2006)
Battle of the Audio Portal (2005)

Response to Mac8 - Music to Motion 2008-05-01 14:09:04

Extra Download Locations
Large Movie .mov
Large Movie .wmv
Medium movie .avi

Small Movie .mov (9mbs)
Small Movie .wmv (9mbs)

Extra Explanations
- Remixes are allowed, as long as you follow NG submission rules. No samples of others work, everything 100% your work
- Remixes of your own songs are allowed, as long as you show effort into your submission, we're fine with it.

Any other questions, please ask them in the discussion thread!

Response to Mac8 - Music to Motion 2008-05-01 14:24:35

Additional Prize Possibility
- I am in the midst of seeing if it is legal for us to submit our entries to a service like Revver. This will allow us to generate revenue as a collective and then award that to the winners as an additional package.

The extra money can be s(p)ent in a variety of ways. I'm hoping I can send Tom the extra money via PayPal and he can send it to the winners as a part of their check ($125 instead of $100 for example).

Or if enough is generated the prize winner can instruct me on how to use it for them. Buy something off the internets, or whatever. Though not likely if we can create $50 or more, a year long membership for G.A.N.G. can be acquired, and that is a resource that will pay for itself time and time again.

AGAIN, THIS IS NOT OFFICIAL, I WILL LET YOU ALL KNOW HOW IT GOES DOWN

Response to Mac8 - Music to Motion 2008-05-04 10:46:39

ooo this might be interesting. very strange movie and *mystic. i might post. meh y not. its 3:13 long but you can cut my song into 2:00 if u want. * Mystic Forest Song

-Sig-

BBS Signature

Response to Mac8 - Music to Motion 2008-05-04 23:48:43

no wait heres my edited version, exactly 2 mins on the spot, not according to ng tho. but yeahMac8 - Mystic Forest

-Sig-

BBS Signature

Response to Mac8 - Music to Motion 2008-05-05 09:25:43

Are there any alternate ways to get this video rather than megaupload? I can't download from that god awful site at any reasonable speed :(

Response to Mac8 - Music to Motion 2008-05-05 10:48:04

At 5/5/08 09:25 AM, Khuskan wrote: Are there any alternate ways to get this video rather than megaupload? I can't download from that god awful site at any reasonable speed :(

the extra download locations are from media fire ;D, if you still have problems with it, l'll direct link ya.

Response to Mac8 - Music to Motion 2008-05-05 11:03:23

This will be a real challenge. Should be a lot of fun though.

Response to Mac8 - Music to Motion 2008-05-05 16:00:12

really sorry for triple post (and with the same song too -_-) but the last link i posted had something wrong with it that made it sound like shit so now im posting the good one. once again, reallly sorry x495739457.
Mac8 - Mystic Forest

FOR REAL THIS TIME >.>

-Sig-

BBS Signature

Response to Mac8 - Music to Motion 2008-05-05 16:44:21

im gonna try to make somethin for this, but i dont know how well 8bit music would sound with this, lol.

chip tune

Response to Mac8 - Music to Motion 2008-05-05 19:19:32

I'll give a hand with the sig, and I'll post my song when I'm done.

BBS Signature

Response to Mac8 - Music to Motion 2008-05-05 19:32:56

At 4/30/08 10:53 PM, MaestroRage wrote: once the Newgrounds API kicks off, and animators are looking for "the composer" for their super duper game, and you can potentially make money off it, you'll all go "Bless that MaestroAngerIssues and the experience he gaveth to us".

you wish.

Awards
1st) $200 + Shirt/stickers

of course.

OR $100 + $100 NG Merchandise + Free shirt/stickers

OR?!?! we have a choice?! !!!!1111

4th) Free shirt/stickers
5th) Free shirt/stickers

stickers are good. so are t-shirts

6th - 10th) mockery... cruel CRUEL mockery.

by me, ty and yw. =3

- Front Page Spots for the top four songs!

of course.

- Hopefully somebody will help make a sig for us! If you're interested in lending a photoshopping hand, let us know!

i did. and i'm waiting.

- At the end of the day, a poll will be held to declare a "Peoples favorite!", the winner of this small scale contest will recieve
-- promotional space on my site Symphony of Specters

that's free since you're the webmaster, but i'll take it.

-- Our undying love and affection.

can't i just have a t-shirt?

Response to Mac8 - Music to Motion 2008-05-05 19:45:56

^^priceless. ionno y but im laughing so much its not even funny.

oh wait...

-Sig-

BBS Signature

Response to Mac8 - Music to Motion 2008-05-05 19:58:11

At 5/5/08 07:45 PM, Los-Illuminados wrote: ^^priceless. ionno y but im laughing so much its not even funny.

oh wait...

i never said it was funny
i was bored and needed a post.

phail.

Response to Mac8 - Music to Motion 2008-05-05 20:10:54

At 5/5/08 07:58 PM, loogiesquared wrote:
At 5/5/08 07:45 PM, Los-Illuminados wrote: blah blah
blah blah

I will also try and keep discussion in the discussion thread.

READ: "A Fear of Great Heights" and other forthcoming adventures right HERE

Signature Picture by: Spartan204

BBS Signature

Response to Mac8 - Music to Motion 2008-05-06 18:20:22

Right well I'm entering.

Growth in C minor
It's Classical, full orchestra.

It's synced with the video here.

Good luck everyone!

Response to Mac8 - Music to Motion 2008-05-07 05:46:42

At 5/7/08 03:43 AM, Simon-F wrote: Gah now I really have to get some sleep, stayed up way too late finishing my entry:

Drowning

You`re lucky, I also want to sleep as hell, but I wanna finish my crap.)

Response to Mac8 - Music to Motion 2008-05-07 15:15:44

I finished brainwashing! :D
Developer - Night And Light:
http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/1 42280
It was hard, I didn`t think I can do it, but I finally made it. :D I`ll let you know when the video reaches youtube.
Good Luck to all contestants!

Response to Mac8 - Music to Motion 2008-05-07 15:26:29

Response to Mac8 - Music to Motion 2008-05-08 19:25:53

SUBMISSION

nal1200 - Vivid Illusions (REWORKED)

Music

The Music to Motion

Thend.

Response to Mac8 - Music to Motion 2008-05-15 18:15:38

WAZ ZAM!! [Dj-U] Let the light in
I'm thinking that this song is good for the animation as it does have a dark, yet progressive theme =]

Response to Mac8 - Music to Motion 2008-05-15 22:04:07

Hello all,

Got my entry ready for this contest. it was fun to make to the video. Its a lot more ambient-y then the other songs I've heard so far.

Song : SR - Flutter (MAC8)

Oh and here is it set to the Video

Response to Mac8 - Music to Motion 2008-05-16 07:32:54

My submission: Prologue

May get a vid up on teh toob if I'm not so lazy.

BBS Signature

Response to Mac8 - Music to Motion 2008-05-16 10:29:18

The vid's embedded in my newspost.
Yeah

BBS Signature

Response to Mac8 - Music to Motion 2008-05-16 14:34:30

Here is my entry. The video was very interesting.

Response to Mac8 - Music to Motion 2008-05-18 02:16:51

Well, after being out for awhile making music....took some time and made a song for this MAC. Hopefully someone enjoys it as much as I enjoyed making it.

CJO:MAC8MTM

Response to Mac8 - Music to Motion 2008-05-18 02:23:28

At 5/18/08 02:16 AM, ChrisOrosco wrote: Well, after being out for awhile making music....took some time and made a song for this MAC. Hopefully someone enjoys it as much as I enjoyed making it.

CJO:MAC8MTM

I hear a ton of Z3ta+ presets in the intro and through out the song >.>. It was cool though.

Response to Mac8 - Music to Motion 2008-05-28 05:35:46

Well here's my submission :D
Music
Video
This contest was pretty original, and it was fun to participate :D
I dont think much people made a trance styled song for this contest, but mine's fitting pretty well i think :$

Response to Mac8 - Music to Motion 2008-05-28 05:58:57

Zomg Kr1z your's is awesome!
How am I gonna beat that!?!?!?

XD

My Music | Me | F-777 | Kr1z | Audio Portal | For teh lulz ^^

BBS Signature