New Topic Respond to this Topic
Twigman
Twigman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
English and american Oct. 3rd, 2003 @ 03:55 PM Reply

Why do the english and americans always seem to hate eachother? It's probably because of all those crappy stereotypes and stuff. Why cant we just team up and hate someone that nobody likes......... like the french!!!!!

RUDE
RUDE
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to English and american Oct. 3rd, 2003 @ 04:07 PM Reply

I was an American living in England for about seven years, I can remember being told to go back to where I came from a couple of times but other than that it was alright.

I really don't know why there is such a rift, it could be because we both have totally different habits and customs, the funny thing about it is that you guys have a lot of American influences over there.

Onecrazylemming
Onecrazylemming
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to English and american Oct. 3rd, 2003 @ 04:10 PM Reply

I'm from a little place called Exeter in Britain, and I don't hate Americans. One of my best friends is from New York, but I have to say, it doesn't matter where you're from or who you are, good people are good, and assholes are still assholes.

Twigman
Twigman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to English and american Oct. 3rd, 2003 @ 04:14 PM Reply

and whats up with that "a very english post"? i posted a reply in that, not that i actually beleive what i said..... lol. Well i had to stick up for england :d.
youre right though, we are just as good as eachother.

Shrapnel
Shrapnel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Blank Slate
Response to English and american Oct. 3rd, 2003 @ 04:14 PM Reply

At 10/3/03 04:10 PM, evil_darklord_reggie wrote: it doesn't matter where you're from or who you are, good people are good, and assholes are still assholes.

Yep.

People get wrapped up in nationalism and pride and those that get carried away make their judgements on the actions of few or from what they deem is 'popular' opinion.

milbot1989
milbot1989
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to English and american Oct. 3rd, 2003 @ 04:56 PM Reply

English rule. But i have no problem with americans so lets get along and laugh at some other country that no one likes

TheDoctor
TheDoctor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to English and american Oct. 3rd, 2003 @ 05:02 PM Reply

I have nothing against Americans, I find it's usually them who dont like us Brits.
For instance, I once posted in a topic that I was British and all of a sudden I was being flamed by all the other users and being called a tea-drinking sissy.

Failgrounds.

BBS Signature
Murph-Dogg
Murph-Dogg
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to English and american Oct. 3rd, 2003 @ 05:09 PM Reply

I'm American, I have no problems with the english and I think we should all drown out our differences with a good night of drinking. that and George Bush is a retard, any president that says miss-underestimate should be lynched.

Afro-Ninja
Afro-Ninja
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Game Developer
Response to English and american Oct. 3rd, 2003 @ 05:22 PM Reply

I visited England last spring for a week, it was one of the best times of my life. Then I went over to France and felt incredibly unwelcome. Bush = Shit was spray painted on the subway walls in french.

hey, I have nothing against the UK!

BBS Signature
Rho-VIII
Rho-VIII
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to English and american Oct. 3rd, 2003 @ 05:29 PM Reply

I'm English, and I think that the whole of Britain is a dump. It's full of illegal immigrants (don't even bother, I'm brown) the whole system is fucked up, crime is everywhere, kids are fucked in the head by a mum who's always drunk and a Dad who only cares about football, hell, the whole population (bar a few) are fucked. I hated England so much that we moved out to Spain, and the Spanish are like "Oh shit, here come the English" when its the holiday season.

America sounds a lot more fun than England, at least there everyone's not depressed and there aren't pakies everywhere.

leeboy105
leeboy105
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 53
Blank Slate
Response to English and american Oct. 3rd, 2003 @ 05:39 PM Reply

At 10/3/03 05:29 PM, Peach_Lock wrote: Stuff berating England

Come on, it's not that bad. You're exaggerating to the absolute extreme.

TheDoctor
TheDoctor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to English and american Oct. 3rd, 2003 @ 06:01 PM Reply

At 10/3/03 05:39 PM, leeboy105 wrote:
At 10/3/03 05:29 PM, Peach_Lock wrote: Stuff berating England
Come on, it's not that bad. You're exaggerating to the absolute extreme.

I agree, only the utter morons of our country are like that, everywhere in the world must have some social outcasts.

Failgrounds.

BBS Signature
Dopefish
Dopefish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Reader
Response to English and american Oct. 3rd, 2003 @ 08:15 PM Reply

maybe because of the revolution?

yeah no one seemed to think of that.

Have a lot of time on your hands? Want to help some starving children eat for free? Visit Free Rice and start playing today. Each correct answer donates 20 grains of rice!

BBS Signature
MonsterMunchClock
MonsterMunchClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to English and american Oct. 3rd, 2003 @ 08:22 PM Reply

THATS BEEN MY IDEA ALL ALONG! All nations unite and attack France!

LeonardSprinkles
LeonardSprinkles
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to English and american Oct. 3rd, 2003 @ 08:29 PM Reply

I say the best way too acceptance is through understanding, and being able to laugh at each others flaws freely without any tension. I know these sterotypes dont apply to all lets just use them here as a starting point. Britan, tea drinking arrogant sisys, America, fat stupid loud mouthed oafs, now that its all out in the open we shall now poke fun at each other, as if we cant laugh at each other how can we laugh with each other. OR this will back fire and we will grow hate and contempt for one another once again, lets see how this turns out.

MonsterMunchClock
MonsterMunchClock
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to English and american Oct. 3rd, 2003 @ 08:37 PM Reply

At 10/3/03 08:29 PM, SillyKnifeBall wrote: I say the best way too acceptance is through understanding, and being able to laugh at each others flaws freely without any tension. I know these sterotypes dont apply to all lets just use them here as a starting point. Britan, tea drinking arrogant sisys, America, fat stupid loud mouthed oafs, now that its all out in the open we shall now poke fun at each other, as if we cant laugh at each other how can we laugh with each other. OR this will back fire and we will grow hate and contempt for one another once again, lets see how this turns out.

THATS IT! IM GETTING MY FLAMETHROWER AND KILLING A DOZEN AMERICANS IN A VIOLENT BLAZE! AAAAHHHH!

Actually you have a point

liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to English and american Oct. 3rd, 2003 @ 09:34 PM Reply

At 10/3/03 08:15 PM, ColdSoul wrote: maybe because of the revolution?

yeah no one seemed to think of that.

Well, you did. This is one argument that I cannot understand. "We hate the British, because of the revolution!!!". This stuff happened years upon years ago, and anyone who brings up that argument doesn't have a living relative who's still around to tell the tales.

If my American history serves me correctly (which it probably doesn't, because we were never taught it at School (too insignificant a scuffle in the scheme of things)), then at the time (The American Revolution) America would have been praising the French. And now that they (the French) disagree with certain US politics of late, a great deal of American citizens criticise those French policies. And the UK Government has been the most supportive of countries when it comes to backing up the need for war. And yet, Britain's still remembered for what happened 200 years back, rather than what it's doing to help American now. Great.

I have relatives alive who fought in World War II and none of them hold grudges against Germany, who were, at the time, the enemy. I think it's time some people in America stopped being so insular, and recognise what else is going on around the world.

Dopefish
Dopefish
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 54
Reader
Response to English and american Oct. 3rd, 2003 @ 09:37 PM Reply

At 10/3/03 09:34 PM, liljim wrote:

oh well i understand what you mean man. i hold no grudges against the british, especially not for a war fought so long ago. i guess around here though its a bigger deal. haha probably because we won :)

but yeah, its not really important at all. its the best reason i could think of though.

Have a lot of time on your hands? Want to help some starving children eat for free? Visit Free Rice and start playing today. Each correct answer donates 20 grains of rice!

BBS Signature
liljim
liljim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Staff
Level 28
Blank Slate
Response to English and american Oct. 3rd, 2003 @ 09:41 PM Reply

At 10/3/03 09:37 PM, ColdSoul wrote: but yeah, its not really important at all.

Well yeah, it is, with regard to American heritage. But not so much as to keep the same hatred between countries, or whatever. That's my point. It happened a long time ago.

I was hoping this whole thread would pan out better. The first few replies were all good, then some ass (who you COULD throw into the stereotype pool from the UK) had to mess things up. Cest la vie.

BootlegJones
BootlegJones
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to English and american Oct. 4th, 2003 @ 01:45 AM Reply

Com'n! Britain is my pal! These are the top three things that Britain have givin the US.

1. The word "Whanker"
2. Sex Pistols
3. Ireland