Ravens-Grin
Ravens-Grin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
No uniforms= Wear trash bags 2003-09-21 09:37:03 Reply

School Makes Girls Wear Trash Bag Skirts

NEW YORK (AP) - Two Bronx girls reportedly had to wear skirts made of trash bags to class as a punishment for coming to school in jeans rather than their uniforms.

The sixth-graders at the Bronx Preparatory Charter School were made to wear the bags by principal Marina Bernard Damiba, the Daily News reported Friday.

Damiba called the garbage-bag skirts ``Damiba fashions'' and said they weren't meant to be humiliating.

``It was more of a fun way to say, 'Listen, guys, wear the uniforms,''' she told the News. ``Let's not dwell on something as simple as wearing the uniforms when we have a lot of business to take care of. We have a lot of learning to get done.''

Joy Vasquez, whose daughter, 12-year-old Christina Zuniga, was one of the girls who wore the skirts, at first said the punishment was ``really wrong,'' the News said.

But after meeting with Damiba, she told the News that her daughter ``got a lesson out of it.''

Students at the school are required to wear a polo shirt with the school's logo and khaki, black, gray or navy blue pants or skirts that are at least knee-length.

Source

Sekky
Sekky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to No uniforms= Wear trash bags 2003-09-21 09:58:11 Reply

Wow...that works so well. The should adapt that to fit all types of punishments and stuff, rather than the conventional detentions and referrals, stuff like that would really really work.

skully
skully
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to No uniforms= Wear trash bags 2003-09-21 11:29:17 Reply

thats wrong

No uniforms= Wear trash bags

<deleted>
Response to No uniforms= Wear trash bags 2003-09-21 11:47:09 Reply

At 9/21/03 09:37 AM, Ravens_Grin wrote: But after meeting with Damiba, she told the News that her daughter ``got a lesson out of it.''

I'm guessing the "lesson" was something like...

If you disobey our commands and seek out to be an individual, you will be persecuted.

Sekky
Sekky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to No uniforms= Wear trash bags 2003-09-21 12:08:24 Reply

Gah what am I saying, supporting capitalism? Argh, bad Sekky. Somebody slap me.

bumcheekcity
bumcheekcity
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to No uniforms= Wear trash bags 2003-09-21 12:49:00 Reply

*Whacks sekky with a mallet* Anyday, mate.

Anyway, this is wrong. Punishment shouldn't be degrading.

dudeitsallama
dudeitsallama
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to No uniforms= Wear trash bags 2003-09-21 17:02:25 Reply

I'm against school uniforms, but this was a private school and they can make whatever rules they want. No one has to go to a private school so they should be willing to adhere to their rules if they choose to go or suffer the consequences. I don't buy the whole individuality arguement. If the only way you can express your personality is through your store-bought clothes, then you really don't have much of a personality to express.

I'd be really pissed if my school tried to make us wear uniforms, but I can see why private schools might want to implement that policy. It keeps kids from judging each other based on the way they dress, lowering discrimination against poor kids who can't afford name brand clothes. And, in high schools, it lowers the problem of guys being unable to concentrate because the girls are so hot that...umm...what was I talking about?

Bottom line: I'm against school uniforms, but, as much as I hate to, I have to side with the school once again. It's not about brainwashing or destroying individuality or some other bullshit arguement. It's about trying to make school more efficient. I don't think a really strict dress code is necessary, but private schools can do as they please in regards to their dress policy. The punishment the girls got was perfectly fair; more fair and effective, in fact, than a detention could ever be. Humiliation is the best form of punishment for kids.

The-Darklands
The-Darklands
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to No uniforms= Wear trash bags 2003-09-21 17:12:53 Reply

heres a good idea. don't go to a private school. They own the school they can make you wear what they want (what would be legal to enforce). As far as uniforms in public schools, lets see if they can make me. I'd have good grades and no other offenses but would I eventually get suspended for wearing jeans and regular t-shirt?

Quiche
Quiche
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to No uniforms= Wear trash bags 2003-09-21 23:04:50 Reply

At 9/21/03 05:12 PM, miket311 wrote: heres a good idea. don't go to a private school. They own the school they can make you wear what they want (what would be legal to enforce). As far as uniforms in public schools, lets see if they can make me. I'd have good grades and no other offenses but would I eventually get suspended for wearing jeans and regular t-shirt?

Acually, I have gotten a detention for wearing a Cthulu shirt to school last year. They claimed it was "disturbing the learning enviroment" and was "frightening to many children." which is I found hilarious. I've also gotten detention for controversal essays and writing political veiws on desks.

FUNKbrs
FUNKbrs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to No uniforms= Wear trash bags 2003-09-21 23:12:45 Reply

At 9/21/03 11:04 PM, Quiche wrote:

::

Acually, I have gotten a detention for wearing a Cthulu shirt to school last year. They claimed it was "disturbing the learning enviroment" and was "frightening to many children." which is I found hilarious. I've also gotten detention for controversal essays and writing political veiws on desks.

Looks like PD was right after all. I remember once I was called into the office for being a satanist, which is HILARIOUS, because I am one of the most devoutly Christian people I know. This is CLEARLY a case of teachers forcing conformity on children, because frankly children are easier to control if they all act the same.

My band Sin City ScoundrelsOur song Vixen of Doom
HATE.
Because 2,000 years of "For God so loved the world" doesn't trump 1.2 million years of "Survival of the Fittest."

EvilGovernmentAgents
EvilGovernmentAgents
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to No uniforms= Wear trash bags 2003-09-21 23:51:48 Reply

At 9/21/03 11:12 PM, JudgeFUNK wrote:
At 9/21/03 11:04 PM, Quiche wrote:
Looks like PD was right after all. I remember once I was called into the office for being a satanist, which is HILARIOUS, because I am one of the most devoutly Christian people I know. This is CLEARLY a case of teachers forcing conformity on children, because frankly children are easier to control if they all act the same.

Sheesh. I can't believe that people can be so dumb about things like that.... If it's not a uniform, then it's too much homework, or the guidelines are too strict, or you can't believe in anything you say, or something or other. Why the hell are teachers payed so little? No wonder it's so hard to learn anything in a public school nowadays.

Mr-Destruction
Mr-Destruction
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to No uniforms= Wear trash bags 2003-09-22 00:54:13 Reply

At 9/21/03 11:29 AM, skullmaster wrote: thats wrong

you know that if u keep posting that sig pic its spamming? take a look around, you can set it to be your permanent sig pic...

BBS Signature
TheShrike
TheShrike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Gamer
Response to No uniforms= Wear trash bags 2003-09-22 01:00:31 Reply

I can't imagine why people send their children to schools where individuality is repressed.

"A witty quote proves nothing."
~Voltaire

BBS Signature
Sekky
Sekky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to No uniforms= Wear trash bags 2003-09-22 02:58:26 Reply

Paying to go to school is stupid. The government doesn't even have a right to force you to go to any school, but they do. The only reason we need to is so that we can get a job and circulate more currency, currency that wouldn't even exist if it weren't for the bloody government. Anybody else see the futility in this?

<deleted>
Response to No uniforms= Wear trash bags 2003-09-22 02:58:51 Reply

At 9/21/03 09:37 AM, Ravens_Grin wrote: ``It was more of a fun way to say, 'Listen, guys, wear the uniforms,'''

FUN?!?!?!!?!?!? YAY! I GET TO BE HUMILIATED IN PUBLIC BECAUSE I WORE JEANS YAY FUN!

Besides, the punishment for not conforming is wearing something that doesn't conform to the extreme and "distracts the children in their education process' even more?

stafffighter
stafffighter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to No uniforms= Wear trash bags 2003-09-22 03:03:15 Reply

Forget poor funding, violence control, weapon control and the qualifications of the teaching staff. These kids aren't learning because of comfortable pants.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature
Leap
Leap
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to No uniforms= Wear trash bags 2003-09-22 10:42:43 Reply

At 9/22/03 02:58 AM, punk_disease wrote:
At 9/21/03 09:37 AM, Ravens_Grin wrote: ``It was more of a fun way to say, 'Listen, guys, wear the uniforms,'''

Besides, the punishment for not conforming is wearing something that doesn't conform to the extreme and "distracts the children in their education process' even more?

Yes, That does seem a little strange.

BBS Signature
Lyddiechu
Lyddiechu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to No uniforms= Wear trash bags 2003-09-22 12:23:42 Reply

At 9/21/03 11:47 AM, punk_disease wrote:
At 9/21/03 09:37 AM, Ravens_Grin wrote: But after meeting with Damiba, she told the News that her daughter ``got a lesson out of it.''
I'm guessing the "lesson" was something like...

If you disobey our commands and seek out to be an individual, you will be persecuted.

jesus christ punk, get a fucking life. its a pity you are so shallow that you must rely on your clothing and your music to make you and individual.. what a fucking tragedy that these two girls are PERSECUTED for such an important thing in their life.. what they have to WEAR.. my god, i should contact the fucking anti-defamation league about this.

what bullshit. i love uniforms, everything looks better in them and it forces you to find more creative ways to distinguish yourself besides your clothing.

Slizor
Slizor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to No uniforms= Wear trash bags 2003-09-22 12:45:24 Reply

I'm against school uniforms, but this was a private school and they can make whatever rules they want

So what if it's a private school? Just because people pay to send their kids there (and yes it is them sending their kids there, not usually a matter of choice for the child) it doesn't mean they can treat them like shit.

If you accept that people should not be treated like this then it being a private school or a public school is irrelevant. Unless you support property rights above all others (which is just plain moronic.)

stafffighter
stafffighter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to No uniforms= Wear trash bags 2003-09-22 16:17:49 Reply

At 9/22/03 12:23 PM, Lyddiechu wrote:
jesus christ punk, get a fucking life. its a pity you are so shallow that you must rely on your clothing and your music to make you and individual.. what a fucking tragedy that these two girls are PERSECUTED for such an important thing in their life.. what they have to WEAR.. my god, i should contact the fucking anti-defamation league about this.

what bullshit. i love uniforms, everything looks better in them and it forces you to find more creative ways to distinguish yourself besides your clothing.

So you see nothing wrong with forcing little girls to wear garbage bags? I happen to be a very distinct indivudual in ways that have nothing to do with my clothes but that still dosen't mean I want someone else to choose them for me. The ability to make your own choices is a very important part of the growing process.

I have nothing against people who can use pot and lead a productive life. It's these sanctimonius hippies that make me wish I was a riot cop in the 60's

BBS Signature
<deleted>
Response to No uniforms= Wear trash bags 2003-09-22 16:20:20 Reply

At 9/22/03 12:23 PM, Lyddiechu wrote: what bullshit. i love uniforms, everything looks better in them and it forces you to find more creative ways to distinguish yourself besides your clothing.

Perhaps you could enlighten me and name a few of these creative ways.

Anywhays, what is so EVIL about wearing jeans to school that girls are forced to wear garbage bags as skirts?

Notice that none of the girls refused to wear the garbage bags. Maybe they were glad to stand out in the crowd of shirts and skirts and DISRUPTED THE EDUCATION PROCESS even more.

JoS
JoS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to No uniforms= Wear trash bags 2003-09-22 16:25:18 Reply

OK punishment is one thing, but the skirts have no other purpose than to humilate the girls so that will not do it again. Now thats not punishment, thats cruelty. Why not just have them dance a jig in the teachers lounge, or pelt them with eggs. Come on, the sesable thing is to send them home.

Bellum omnium contra omnes

BBS Signature
Lyddiechu
Lyddiechu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to No uniforms= Wear trash bags 2003-09-23 01:49:52 Reply

no, i think humiliation is a good way to prevent it from happening again. it wasn't physically or emotionally harmful, it was a light and creative punishment of wearing a trashbag that will prevent further disobedience of an incredibly stupid kind. nothing is evil about wearing blue jeans, but if your parents choose to send you to a private school then follow the damn rules that aren't hurting anything and enjoy your overpriced education. cheebus. if you think you are cool and rebellious because of the clothing you wear, do us all a favor and gag yourself. its a lot easier to go out and buy an outfit that looks intelligent and rebellious than write a paper or participate in a debate proving this.

stafffighter
stafffighter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to No uniforms= Wear trash bags 2003-09-23 02:59:17 Reply

At 9/23/03 01:49 AM, Lyddiechu wrote: no, i think humiliation is a good way to prevent it from happening again. it wasn't physically or emotionally harmful, it was a light and creative punishment of wearing a trashbag that will prevent further disobedience of an incredibly stupid kind. nothing is evil about wearing blue jeans, but if your parents choose to send you to a private school then follow the damn rules that aren't hurting anything and enjoy your overpriced education. cheebus. if you think you are cool and rebellious because of the clothing you wear, do us all a favor and gag yourself. its a lot easier to go out and buy an outfit that looks intelligent and rebellious than write a paper or participate in a debate proving this.

It was disobedience of a rule of an incredibly stupid kind. Are you telling me that a person who is deep enough to express themselves brilliantly with their words and ideas is going to have this ability hindered by their casual clothing?

BBS Signature
Lyddiechu
Lyddiechu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to No uniforms= Wear trash bags 2003-09-23 13:27:27 Reply

At 9/23/03 02:59 AM, stafffighter wrote: It was disobedience of a rule of an incredibly stupid kind. Are you telling me that a person who is deep enough to express themselves brilliantly with their words and ideas is going to have this ability hindered by their casual clothing?

The rule is not stupid, the disobedience is. Clothing can really retract from the educational environment due to the propensity of people to judge based on appearances, accesories, etc etc. It's unfortunately the way most kids are. Uniforms at least solve the problem of kids being given problems about something as stupid as their clothing.

JoS
JoS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to No uniforms= Wear trash bags 2003-09-23 15:55:25 Reply

How is making two girl wear trash bags not emotionaly harmful , I mean remeber in high school for some people image is everything, and something like that would really hurt their self image with ppl laughing at them.

Bellum omnium contra omnes

BBS Signature
dudeitsallama
dudeitsallama
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to No uniforms= Wear trash bags 2003-09-23 16:48:36 Reply

Well these weren't high school girls. They were sixth-graders, so the point is moot. Besides, wearing a trash bag skirt is not exactly something they would be ridiculed for for the rest of their school-going lives. It taught them an important lesson: Don't break rules just for the hell of it.

Now, for the record, if I hear another person say that the school is crushing these girls' individuality by brainwashing them to conform, I will ignore that statement as the piece of worthless propoganda that it is.

stafffighter
stafffighter
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 50
Blank Slate
Response to No uniforms= Wear trash bags 2003-09-23 17:07:55 Reply

Ok, raise your hands if you think making them dress the same will leave school kids without ways to segregate or ridicule each other.

BBS Signature
FUNKbrs
FUNKbrs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to No uniforms= Wear trash bags 2003-09-23 18:39:53 Reply

Yes, lets make them wear uniforms, and put armed gaurds on the doors, and force them to listen to our "curriculum", and punish them for nonconformity.... Sounds like my fascist dream to me....

They ARE being indoctrinated and made into clones, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, as long as what they are copying is a good example.

My band Sin City ScoundrelsOur song Vixen of Doom
HATE.
Because 2,000 years of "For God so loved the world" doesn't trump 1.2 million years of "Survival of the Fittest."

<deleted>
Response to No uniforms= Wear trash bags 2003-09-24 00:07:22 Reply

At 9/23/03 01:49 AM, Lyddiechu wrote: if your parents choose to send you to a private school then follow the damn rules that aren't hurting anything and enjoy your overpriced education.

But breaking those rules doesn't harm anyone either.

Which raises the question: Why have stupid rules?