jeski
jeski
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Art forum 'tech support' thread! 2009-02-11 14:51:13 Reply

At 2/11/09 02:25 PM, CosmicDeath wrote:
At 2/11/09 02:22 PM, jeski wrote: have seen Oney do many drawings like this along with many other great flash artists do this kind of technique on pictures on Photoshop (In picture below). I am not sure what the techniques called but it sure looks cool and I would like to learn how to do it. I have Photoshop but I am just not sure how to do it? Can anyone tell me what it's called or help me learn it? Thanks.

-Jeski
I guess my replies to your other post weren't enough information(?).

Yes you did help I think it works well I am still seeing if there are other ways but burn and work pretty well but someone recommended I post another thing here. Thanks for your help from before.

CosmicDeath
CosmicDeath
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Art forum 'tech support' thread! 2009-02-11 15:05:14 Reply

At 2/11/09 02:51 PM, jeski wrote: Yes you did help I think it works well I am still seeing if there are other ways but burn and work pretty well but someone recommended I post another thing here. Thanks for your help from before.

No worries. If you want to discuss while working a document in PS, IM me: joyjemwhatever (AIM)

BBS Signature
TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art forum 'tech support' thread! 2009-02-11 16:50:58 Reply

At 2/11/09 02:22 PM, jeski wrote: have seen Oney do many drawings like this along with many other great flash artists do this kind of technique on pictures on Photoshop (In picture below). I am not sure what the techniques called but it sure looks cool and I would like to learn how to do it. I have Photoshop but I am just not sure how to do it? Can anyone tell me what it's called or help me learn it? Thanks.

-Jeski

Cosmic's reply to your thread pretty much summed up your question with burn+dodge/black, soft low opacity brushes, but I thought I'd throw in something I've picked up:

If you make a new layer overtop of what you're working on, set it to Multiply and fill it with a white fill, THEN use a burn brush set to highlights, you have a way of shading your pic using the burn tool without saturating the layers underneath and can be tweaked later with a white brush if you want to remedy it.

Vice versa is true for highlighting with the dodge tool; I believe it's a screen layer filled with black.

I used to do this, but I think it's better to learn to use brushes with slight changes to hue, since straight off lightening and darkening of base colours looks guff. But dodge and burn is good for tweaking and adjusting contrast to places in your picture where you need it most.

BBS Signature
Voiceover
Voiceover
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Art forum 'tech support' thread! 2009-02-14 15:38:17 Reply

What's the max size for a PNG that Illustrator can export. I've got a 10000w by 1000h image that wont export.

BBS Signature
JesseT
JesseT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Art forum 'tech support' thread! 2009-03-05 12:21:40 Reply

I have Adobe Photoshop Elements 6 and I figured out some stuff equivalent to Painter 8 to help me draw the same way. The one thin I couldn't find on Photoshop is something that will produce the same thing as the oil pastels in Painter 8. Can any one help me? I usually use the oil pastels for adding the "light's" and the "dark's". Well anyway that would be nice to know because I just got this wonderful tablet (Bamboo Fun 9x6) and I need some backgrounds for an animation.

RadioactiveRabies
RadioactiveRabies
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Art forum 'tech support' thread! 2009-03-06 09:19:14 Reply

Iwe seen a couple of those speed paint videos on youtube, but i couldent figure out how they coloured their black/white pictures. Could anybody tell me how i can color this sketch?

Art forum 'tech support' thread!

TurkeyOnAStick
TurkeyOnAStick
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 25
Artist
Response to Art forum 'tech support' thread! 2009-03-06 09:47:52 Reply

At 3/6/09 09:19 AM, RadioactiveRabies wrote: Iwe seen a couple of those speed paint videos on youtube, but i couldent figure out how they coloured their black/white pictures. Could anybody tell me how i can color this sketch?

I'm going out on a limb here, but try making a New Layer, set it to Color, then paint over it.

lol if i'm horribly wrong

Otherwise set it to multiply and paint underneath it.

BBS Signature
Fleshlight
Fleshlight
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Art forum 'tech support' thread! 2009-03-06 11:51:04 Reply

The B&W images are only guides. Shadow and contrast is one thing to work with, and when they get it right, they move on to color. I think they just want to know which shadows to use and where, then they paint over it.

not all speedpainters do this though

|_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_|

RadioactiveRabies
RadioactiveRabies
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Art forum 'tech support' thread! 2009-03-06 13:13:54 Reply

First off, thanks for replying. Second, this guy, Nico de Matti, seems to use a function to alter the entire layer, from BW to color.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8K_NQe57C -k
Maybe something like the window that pops up when you dubble click a layer?
He allso use color from the start in other works (fx. the spiderman)

This guy, Chris Scalf, seems to be using some kind of tool, but he allso have some kind of functions mumbo jumbo going
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lb3RNpiNK AE&feature=related

RadioactiveRabies
RadioactiveRabies
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Art forum 'tech support' thread! 2009-03-06 13:57:59 Reply

I ended up coloring it on a new layer. Im still interested if youve got more ideas as to how it was done in the youtube speed paints i linked

Fleshlight
Fleshlight
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Art forum 'tech support' thread! 2009-03-06 15:47:16 Reply

Looks like they're both just using color balance to get the right tone going, and touching up the rest of the image with large brushes with low opacity.

|_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_| |_|

sir5000
sir5000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Gamer
Response to Art forum 'tech support' thread! 2009-03-27 20:24:38 Reply

Coo-ee, fellow artists!

Hey, guys! I got a little GIF problem, so I'm gonna need a little help. You see, my method for animating with GIFS is to animate it in Photoshop, then transfer it to ImageReady to save it as an optimized animated GIF.

That was with CS2. I recently just got CS3 (behind the rest of the world), and now I'm struggling with it. I can't use the same technique because ImageReady is nonexistent in CS3! I can't save it as a GIF in Photoshop or else it'll be static!

What do I do?

BBS Signature
cweb85
cweb85
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Art forum 'tech support' thread! 2009-05-01 20:47:18 Reply

ust bought Photoshop and I've never used anything but paint before so I'm new. Why is it that when I open a file in photoshop, if it is bigger than ~ 200pixels^2 it is covered in lines? (See Photo) Only when I zoom in does it look normal, but then I'm zoomed in....

I just want to view the whole image while I edit...

My other problem is that all gifs that I open are completely un-editable. The layer is locked and I can't unlock it, I can't make a new layer. The only thing I can do is make a new channel.

Thanks for the help guys.

Fleshlight
Fleshlight
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Art forum 'tech support' thread! 2009-05-01 22:55:37 Reply

At 5/1/09 08:47 PM, cweb85 wrote: ust bought Photoshop and I've never used anything but paint before so I'm new. Why is it that when I open a file in photoshop, if it is bigger than ~ 200pixels^2 it is covered in lines? (See Photo) Only when I zoom in does it look normal, but then I'm zoomed in....

My best guess is that your computer can't handle that much graphics. 200pixels^2? as in 200 to the second power? Not sure what you're trying to say there

My other problem is that all gifs that I open are completely un-editable. The layer is locked and I can't unlock it, I can't make a new layer. The only thing I can do is make a new channel.

on the layers tab, next to channels, double click the layer with the picture in it and say ok.

cweb85
cweb85
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Art forum 'tech support' thread! 2009-05-08 11:59:51 Reply

At 5/1/09 10:55 PM, Fleshlight wrote:
At 5/1/09 08:47 PM, cweb85 wrote: ust bought Photoshop and I've never used anything but paint before so I'm new. Why is it that when I open a file in photoshop, if it is bigger than ~ 200pixels^2 it is covered in lines? (See Photo) Only when I zoom in does it look normal, but then I'm zoomed in....
My best guess is that your computer can't handle that much graphics. 200pixels^2? as in 200 to the second power? Not sure what you're trying to say there

on the layers tab, next to channels, double click the layer with the picture in it and say ok.

I was trying to say 200 pixelsby 200pixels. But I've solved that problem, it was a driver issue.

For the gif issue, when I double click on the layer I only get a "ding", no window pops up :(

CosmicDeath
CosmicDeath
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Artist
Response to Art forum 'tech support' thread! 2009-05-08 21:45:48 Reply

Answer to: "Can't get rid of feather from selection tool."

I figured I'd post this here as someone contacted me recently, asking about how to get rid of feathering from their selection tool.

If you've changed the pixel radius for feathering on a tool and it will not let you change it back to 0px, right click over selected tool icon along the bar, it should give an option to reset tool or reset all tools.

Reset tool and it should revert the feather back to 0px without giving any hassle. [Demonstrated in PS 7.0]

If you are planning on doing lots of feathering on separate selections, with the same feather setting - changing the feather radius along the tool options is a time saver. But for odd, one off feathering needs, it is usually better to just adjust feather by going to Select>Feather (or Alt+Ctrl+D).

BBS Signature
kernalphage
kernalphage
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to Art forum 'tech support' thread! 2009-05-08 23:26:59 Reply

At 3/27/09 08:24 PM, sir5000 wrote: Coo-ee, fellow artists!
I can't save it as a GIF in Photoshop or else it'll be static!
What do I do?

Well, if you still need this...

use"File>Save For Web..."

If you select .gif as the export, there's an "animated" check box.
then click save, and you've got an animated Gif!

Lundsfryd
Lundsfryd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Artist
Response to Art forum 'tech support' thread! 2009-05-21 20:53:43 Reply

GOD DAMMIT!

I have this problem with some files I can't delete.. And I am thinking since people here use the same programs as me someone might have a solution. The first:

This one is a photoshop problem. I exported a picture as a jpeg file and for some reason it created a .tmp file to go with it. I could delete the jpeg, but not the tmp.. How do I get rid of that tmp file?

The other problem is an illustator problem, but related. This time I have an old ai. file wich I for some reason could not save onto with my project. So I saved the project with a new title and moved on. But now I can't delete or even move the first file (the one I couldnt overwrite). It just tells me that "the file is being used by another program".

Somebody please help me because my desktop is getting filled up with files I don't use anymore and it makes me FUCKING ANGRY!

World Famous Kasper Lundsfryd Illustrations
nilfisk

BBS Signature
Lundsfryd
Lundsfryd
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Artist
Response to Art forum 'tech support' thread! 2009-05-21 21:14:23 Reply

Just an update:
I fixed the photoshop tmp file problem myself, all it took was to restart the computer so I might have jumped the gun on that one however the illustator file just won't go away. Advice much appreciated..

World Famous Kasper Lundsfryd Illustrations
nilfisk

BBS Signature
Eddfan
Eddfan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Art forum 'tech support' thread! 2009-05-22 00:35:47 Reply

yes, accually. first, select the brush tool, then right click the brush icon that appears on the top middle-ish sorta to the right side of the screen, there should be an option for "fade", set it high, and ur stokes will fade as u draw, making it look like a brush stroke :D
heheh, i is a photoshop junky =^_^=

Glacier
Glacier
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Art forum 'tech support' thread! 2009-06-19 13:34:21 Reply

I don't know if this is a good place to post this but... I've had corel painter X for a while now and I really want to use it, but I need help getting started if anybody wants to send me a pm or respond to this post on how to get started with it that would be really helpful.

Fleshlight
Fleshlight
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Art forum 'tech support' thread! 2009-06-19 13:39:28 Reply

At 6/19/09 01:34 PM, angryglacier wrote: I don't know if this is a good place to post this but... I've had corel painter X for a while now and I really want to use it, but I need help getting started if anybody wants to send me a pm or respond to this post on how to get started with it that would be really helpful.

if there exist tutorials on how to begin using certain art programs, they're useless. Just try things out on your own and learn the the program's capabilities

TheSwindler
TheSwindler
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Art forum 'tech support' thread! 2009-07-26 19:21:55 Reply

How exactly do I convert a PNG image to GIF to use for my profile icon without the GIF looking like I poured acid all over the original image?

Fleshlight
Fleshlight
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to Art forum 'tech support' thread! 2009-07-26 23:53:18 Reply

At 7/26/09 07:21 PM, TheSwindler wrote: How exactly do I convert a PNG image to GIF to use for my profile icon without the GIF looking like I poured acid all over the original image?

better to used jpeg. Gifs are only good for animation and maybe a very small image size, if you need it.

Winned
Winned
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Art forum 'tech support' thread! 2009-07-27 00:54:47 Reply

Quick question, not sure if it should be posted here but it's worth a shot.

With my scanner, when I scan images they come out OK, but are there any suggestions as to how to make the lines more visible without having to change the settings to the page changes color and the lines look like pen.

And the more important question how should I reduce the file size of a scanned image?

I could probably get rid of excess space in the file with Paint, but are there any other suggestions?

I need Monet, to buy DeGas to make my Van Gogh. I tried to Hale a cab but my Whistler didn't Turner 'round.

BBS Signature
Dexter3000
Dexter3000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Art forum 'tech support' thread! 2009-07-27 04:57:03 Reply

At 3/24/08 05:53 PM, kernalphage wrote:
Paint.net- pretty decent freeware, but the brush bleeds a lot with a tablet.

I agree with this.since i got my tablet recently,i've been drawing with a size 2 Brush.it kinda helps that way.

CypressDahlia
CypressDahlia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Art forum 'tech support' thread! 2009-07-27 05:25:27 Reply

At 5/21/09 09:14 PM, Lundsfryd wrote: Just an update:
I fixed the photoshop tmp file problem myself, all it took was to restart the computer so I might have jumped the gun on that one however the illustator file just won't go away. Advice much appreciated..

You should get this petite little freeware app called Unlocker. It allows you to identify processes that are using a specific file and "free" it of use. Usually, the culprit is Explorer, which tends to be very clingy with files...

Re2deemer
Re2deemer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Art forum 'tech support' thread! 2009-07-27 08:07:35 Reply

At 7/27/09 12:54 AM, Winned wrote: Quick question, not sure if it should be posted here but it's worth a shot.

With my scanner, when I scan images they come out OK, but are there any suggestions as to how to make the lines more visible without having to change the settings to the page changes color and the lines look like pen.

And the more important question how should I reduce the file size of a scanned image?

I could probably get rid of excess space in the file with Paint, but are there any other suggestions?

I'm not sure I 100% understand #1, but from what I can tell, you should try importing it into some photo editing program and then open the curves editor. That will allow you to change how visible certain tones of black and white (or hell, even colour) are.

As for #2, you could just open it in a photo editing program (once again) and then resave it. They typically ask you how high the quality of the final image should be so you can just change that setting and save. The lower the quality, the smaller the image.

BBS Signature
14etan
14etan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Art forum 'tech support' thread! 2009-07-27 10:15:10 Reply

is it possible to export my drawings in coral painted, whenever i draw in it i am forced to take a screen shot which lowers the quality and makes it so i cant do detailed drawings.

Jarvid
Jarvid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Art forum 'tech support' thread! 2009-07-27 10:28:55 Reply

At 7/27/09 10:15 AM, 14etan wrote: is it possible to export my drawings in coral painted, whenever i draw in it i am forced to take a screen shot which lowers the quality and makes it so i cant do detailed drawings.

I'm not familiar with corel painter, but look for File > Save as and there may be a drop down list for exporting, if not look in other dialogs for Export.

This signature is not true

BBS Signature