New Topic Respond to this Topic
ZJ
ZJ
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2013-08-25 08:08:14 Reply

Picked up Sonic CD on the Xbox 360. Really fun game. It has that classic 2D Sonic gameplay coupled with really funky visuals and tunes. Really been enjoying it, though. The time traveling gimmick is pretty unique and I loved the anime cutscene that the game opened with.

Can't believe I've never played this one before.

Sig by Luis - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
Mechabloby
Mechabloby
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2013-08-26 20:40:29 Reply

I've found myself playing Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen. After finishing Dark Souls, my cravings for fantasy-based video games are continuing, so I thought that Dragon's Dogma would be a great game to continue with. I've also found myself playing The Witcher games too which I've been enjoying so far. I'm casually dipping in and out of Final Fantasy X and VI as well.

| Facebook | last.fm | Steam |
it's just diana ross slowed down 11/10 it's fuckin awful

BBS Signature
Ketzelkab
Ketzelkab
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Musician
Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2013-08-26 21:07:39 Reply

Splinter Cell: Blacklist... More like, Blacklisted from my game library amirite?

I never thought the series was particularly good up until this point. But really, this game does the series a real disservice. I'm only a few missions in and the game already oozes NCIS-tier dialogue from Sam and his cliche support characters. Not to mention, the idle terrorist chatter is some of the most cringe-inducing dialogue I've heard.. But to be fair Splinter Cell has never really been praised for its story.

The stealth gameplay is where the series has shined. But in Blacklist it seems enemies can't see properly in broad daylight.. Also, Fisher adopts parkour skills that can rival Ezio, which is odd considering that he's supposed to be an old man by now.. It has a weird mix of cover to cover movement with annoying setups where the only way to continue silently is to use the "mark and execute" mechanic... And as a bonus, you get to BUY everything that made the Fisher of previous games stealthy in the first place. A nifty motivator to try to get me to play until the end.

But hey, at least I get to shoot brown people and throw dogs down stairs, right?

I give this game a Lensflare/10

The Game You're Currently Playing

Twitter | Soundcloud | Follow me?
Let's stalk each other on the interwebs!

Elixur
Elixur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2013-08-27 10:52:16 Reply

Been playing some fan made hacks/roms whatever you want to call them.

Super Metroid Redesign
Has over 2,800 screens (Roughly, just a guess) as compared to the original games 1,200 or so. Over double the size. The map design is polished and seems very professional, not to mention it's much more difficult. Wall jumping, bomb jumping, mockballing and shinesparking are much more used. Can't recommend enough.

The other I've sunk some time into is Super Talking Time Bros. 2.5 The Last Levels (stupid fucking name but trust me, fun as shit and incredible) Over fifty different users (the actual number escapes me, but much more) submitted levels to be added to the game. Each level has a secret red star requiring different strategies to obtain that unlocks extras. The game uses sprites, animations, enemies, etc from every main 2D mario game (Super Mario Bros. Super Mario Bros. 2, Super Mario Bros. 3, Super Mario World and Mario World 2 Yoshi's Island) and includes a soundtrack from EVERY mario game including the 3D games. (64, Sunshine, Galaxy, New Super Mario Bros. etc)

I'm handing you fun on a silver platter and it's free. Get to it bitches.

Finished a plethora of games since the last time I dropped in here, but not going to list them.

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2013-08-28 18:30:14 Reply

Still playing System Shock 2.

I gotta say, now that I'm finally getting more familiar with the gameplay and the game's mechanics, I am really starting to love it. Graphically speaking the game can hardly be called horrifying anymore, but the audio still does great at setting an atmosphere that constantly keeps you on your toes.

I do have to say that I'm not very fond of backtracking with randomly respawning enemies popping up everywhere, but I suppose the game would be pretty boring most of the time otherwise.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]
Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz
The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 16 November 2014)

BBS Signature
Natick
Natick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Movie Buff
Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2013-08-28 18:43:36 Reply

At 8/28/13 06:30 PM, Auz wrote: Still playing System Shock 2.

as much as i love that game, i doubt that i will ever be able to finish because of those damn annelid arachnids and the sheer isolation of the environment

When ever you feel powerless, just remember this.

A single one of your pubes can shut down an entire restaurant. - Conal / MOTW: O Lucky Man!

BBS Signature
Kwing
Kwing
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Game Developer
Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2013-08-28 23:52:23 Reply

Playing Vagrant Story. I farmed some Lug Crossbows and now I'm out to forge an ultimate weapon!

PS1 master race!

If I offer to help you in a post, PM me to get it. I often forget to revisit threads.
Want 180+ free PSP games? Try these links! - Flash - Homebrew (OFW)

Mechabloby
Mechabloby
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2013-08-29 07:55:00 Reply

I think I'll play some Devil May Cry or Metal Gear Rising. Right now I'm craving some fast-paced hack'n'slash action.

| Facebook | last.fm | Steam |
it's just diana ross slowed down 11/10 it's fuckin awful

BBS Signature
redfield95
redfield95
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Art Lover
Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2013-08-31 04:08:51 Reply

Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds for the PS1 I loved this game when I was younger

Special thanks to illicit for making the most badass sig ever!
My Steam (Feel free to add me)

BBS Signature
Opiated
Opiated
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Voice Actor
Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2013-09-01 07:19:59 Reply

UT2004
help me I can't stop

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2013-09-01 07:39:13 Reply

At 8/28/13 06:43 PM, Natick wrote:
At 8/28/13 06:30 PM, Auz wrote: Still playing System Shock 2.
as much as i love that game, i doubt that i will ever be able to finish because of those damn annelid arachnids and the sheer isolation of the environment

I think that feeling of total isolation is exactly what makes the game so interesting. It really adds a lot to the game's atmosphere I think.

Those arachnids are pretty annoying indeed, but I believe I'm already past the halfway point and I haven't encountered that many thus far. They go down easily enough with anti-personnel bullets by the way.

BBS Signature
whitedemon18
whitedemon18
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2013-09-01 14:04:31 Reply

Clash of the Dragons

If you have time to think of a beautiful ending, why not use the time to live beautifully until the end

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2013-09-01 19:41:56 Reply

Far Cry 3
Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition
Just Cause 2

It looks like I may be taking a break from Dragon's Dogma.

At 8/26/13 08:40 PM, Mechabloby wrote: I've found myself playing Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen. After finishing Dark Souls, my cravings for fantasy-based video games are continuing, so I thought that Dragon's Dogma would be a great game to continue with. I've also found myself playing The Witcher games too which I've been enjoying so far. I'm casually dipping in and out of Final Fantasy X and VI as well.

I haven't gotten Dark Arisen, but Dragon's Dogma is one of the best games I've ever played.

At 8/29/13 07:55 AM, Mechabloby wrote: I think I'll play some Devil May Cry or Metal Gear Rising. Right now I'm craving some fast-paced hack'n'slash action.

If you want some truly superb hack n' slash, look no further than the Mark of Kri, Rise of the Kasai and Ninja Gaiden 2.

At 9/1/13 07:19 AM, Opiated wrote: UT2004
help me I can't stop

Okay, let me help.

Don't believe bullshitters saying it isn't awesome.

one of the four horsemen of the Metal Hell

BBS Signature
Natick
Natick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Movie Buff
Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2013-09-01 19:59:37 Reply

At 9/1/13 07:41 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Far Cry 3

best game ubisoft has done yet

can't get past shao khan and i hate the tag-teams in the story mode since i don't play fighting games often

Just Cause 2

as much as i've played this game, i feel like i loose imagination when it comes to pulling off the right stunts

A single one of your pubes can shut down an entire restaurant. - Conal / MOTW: O Lucky Man!

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2013-09-01 20:28:04 Reply

At 9/1/13 07:59 PM, Natick wrote:
At 9/1/13 07:41 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: Far Cry 3
best game ubisoft has done yet

can't get past shao khan and i hate the tag-teams in the story mode since i don't play fighting games.

I'm concerned for my ability to beat the story mode because of the endurance matches (tag teams) and also because of how you have to play as the different characters they make you play as. Before I turned it off last night, I had to play as my best character, Scorpion, and I wish they had saved him for later in the game when I'm guessing it gets tougher. They has those damn endurance matches in the older games, too. I gotta say, though, MK 1-3 were much fucking harder than this one. At least it isn't on that insane level.

But since you say you don't really play fighters and you still at least made it to Shao Khan despite that, that's a good sign, because I'm pretty good at most fighters.

BBS Signature
malachi117
malachi117
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2013-09-01 20:54:22 Reply

It's mainly been League of Legends lately, with a few other games tossed in here and there.

Just burning time till GTA V releases.

You should totally add me on one of my various game accounts:
360 - Malachi117. Steam - Malachi117. PS3/PS4 - NarcolepticCat.

Natick
Natick
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Movie Buff
Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2013-09-01 23:10:52 Reply

At 9/1/13 08:28 PM, Sense-Offender wrote: But since you say you don't really play fighters and you still at least made it to Shao Khan despite that, that's a good sign, because I'm pretty good at most fighters.

i kept using the d-pad during the tutorial for combos and it took me an entire frustrating hour until i figured out that using the joystick would make the johnny cage actually throw a fireball 90% of the time instead of a 1 in 10 chance

i don't mind switching characters in the middle of the story but starting them off on tag teams is just a dick move because it takes time to nail the move lists into my head

BBS Signature
Mismo
Mismo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2013-09-02 07:38:35 Reply

Just started playing Pokemon Black, and I got to say I was surprised at first with the direction they wanted to go with the villains of the game (Team plasma), a group of well intioned extremist that actually bring up a question few people in the pokemon universe (except Mewtwo in the movie) has failed to ask themselves. Are pokemon really happy when they're in the captivity of trainers and other humans? Are we not treating them as slaves? Forcing them to fight in battles for our amusement, being traded amongst people like they're property.

With that I thought the game has gained a little more depth... Well until I faced off with their grunts which are not some much as well intentioned extremist and more hilariously evil idiots that don't see the hypocrisy in what they're doing. Also one of the leaders is obviously using the whole organization as a means to an end for something.

Incidentally I thought of a great parody. "Pikachu Unchained"

#AMAFORSEXSLAVE2014

BBS Signature
Jack
Jack
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Movie Buff
Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2013-09-02 07:42:29 Reply

"Die you cock-breathed commie motherfuckers!"

That is just a sample of the in game dialogue from Rouge Warrior.

Quite rubbish, but reminds me slightly of the original Soldier of Fortune.

Baby Britain.
Xbox Live Gamertag: JackFrustration - PSN: JackSawyer

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2013-09-02 07:57:12 Reply

At 9/2/13 07:38 AM, Mismo wrote: Incidentally I thought of a great parody. "Pikachu Unchained"

PETA made something like that, actually.

BBS Signature
Mismo
Mismo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Musician
Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2013-09-02 09:53:50 Reply

At 9/2/13 07:57 AM, Auz wrote:
At 9/2/13 07:38 AM, Mismo wrote: Incidentally I thought of a great parody. "Pikachu Unchained"
PETA made something like that, actually.

Come to think of it, Team Plasma is actually a lot like PETA.

#AMAFORSEXSLAVE2014

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2013-09-02 12:54:45 Reply

I beat System Shock 2 (for the first time).

Honestly, this is one of the best games I've ever played.

It's definitely not perfect. The graphics aren't that good (not even for its time) and the game isn't all that hard to beat. But in terms of storytelling and in terms of atmosphere this game is absolutely amazing. From what I heard, it was also very revolutionary at the time it came out and a lot of modern games still derive inspiration from the System Shock series (for example, look at GlaDOS from Portal).

So I highly recommend it. I feel like anyone who has an interest in video games ought to play this game someday.

BBS Signature
Sense-Offender
Sense-Offender
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 30
Movie Buff
Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2013-09-04 00:16:31 Reply

Oh my goodness, Far Cry 3 is amazing. The difficulty of certain tasks is a bit above what I'd consider reasonable, however.

BBS Signature
sushi13
sushi13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2013-09-04 04:26:18 Reply

I've just started Silent Hill 3 for the very first time and I've been really stoked to play this for a long time. Especially after playing through Silent Hill 2 no less than 7 times in the past year and succeeding in earning a 10* rank which is no mean feat.

Hikky-Dikky
Hikky-Dikky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Gamer
Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2013-09-11 16:04:03 Reply

I recently beat the first two Doom games and now I'm playing a bunch of WADs. Doom's mod community is amazing, seriously.

Auz
Auz
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2013-09-12 09:29:43 Reply

I played through Half-Life.

The first 2-3 hours I didn't like the game all that much, but it gets better as you progress. Like Half-Life 2, it's quite immersive towards the end and I like the variety in the gameplay. I do have to say that the physics are a bit awkward sometimes; the platforming segments can be quite frustrating because you have very little jumping control and from time to time I got stuck within an object or a wall or something and had to kill myself.

Overall I liked Half-Life 2 better, but the first Half-Life is definitely worth a play as well if you're interested in classic FPS.

I think I'm going to play Torchlight II next.

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2013-09-12 10:06:46 Reply

At 9/4/13 04:26 AM, sushi13 wrote: I've just started Silent Hill 3 for the very first time and I've been really stoked to play this for a long time. Especially after playing through Silent Hill 2 no less than 7 times in the past year and succeeding in earning a 10* rank which is no mean feat.

Have you played the original? It's my favorite. Origins, Shattered Memories and the Room are okay but 1 and 2 are the highlight of the series.

At 9/12/13 09:29 AM, Auz wrote: Overall I liked Half-Life 2 better, but the first Half-Life is definitely worth a play as well if you're interested in classic FPS.

How about Opposing Force? It's the best thing to come from Half Life 1 imo.

"I don't like facts. They get in the way of my opinions" -Kanye West
last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal

BBS Signature
Auz
Auz
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 57
Movie Buff
Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2013-09-12 10:12:59 Reply

At 9/12/13 10:06 AM, Jackho wrote:
At 9/12/13 09:29 AM, Auz wrote: Overall I liked Half-Life 2 better, but the first Half-Life is definitely worth a play as well if you're interested in classic FPS.
How about Opposing Force? It's the best thing to come from Half Life 1 imo.

I haven't played that one yet. I'm probably going to pick it up in the future.

BBS Signature
Elixur
Elixur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2013-09-13 01:02:22 Reply

At 9/2/13 12:54 PM, Auz wrote: I beat System Shock 2 (for the first time).

Honestly, this is one of the best games I've ever played.

It's definitely not perfect. The graphics aren't that good (not even for its time) and the game isn't all that hard to beat. But in terms of storytelling and in terms of atmosphere this game is absolutely amazing. From what I heard, it was also very revolutionary at the time it came out and a lot of modern games still derive inspiration from the System Shock series (for example, look at GlaDOS from Portal).

So I highly recommend it. I feel like anyone who has an interest in video games ought to play this game someday.

I loved this game straight through, but those last two minutes ruined it. The horror... the feeling of being actually there... the experience of being nothing but an insect, a pathetic creature of meat and bone... the existential crisis within the walls of the Von Braun... all swept away in a single word.

Nah...

Some people defend the silent protagonist because it is kind of a badass moment, but I feel like it spoiled the mood and the message behind the entire concept of the game.

Bioshock and it's sequels were great, but they don't hold a candle. Shodan was also the influence behind Glados from Portal, so it's roots are really far outstretched. It came about in that era where FPS was really get it's feet wet and experimenting.

If you haven't try Deus Ex and Thief + Thief II. Some true gems. RIP Looking Glass Studios :'(

BBS Signature
ShiningFox
ShiningFox
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2013-09-13 09:35:12 Reply

DMC and i think i'm gonna replay mgs3 :P
Also Dragon Nest, awesome game

BBS Signature