00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

kyzakay just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Game You're Currently Playing

352,794 Views | 5,148 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-03-05 22:44:30

I'm finally playing through Pokemon X now. I'm currently up to the Lumiose City gym

Judge my music taste! || Add me on Steam || Letterboxd

The description doesn't fit, if not a synonym of menace

BBS Signature

Finally got the platinum trophy in Bloodborne. 115 hours. The chalice dungeons are some of the worst and most frustrating content I've ever played through in any game and I'll look forward to never touching them again.

After a good 70 hours I finally finished Baldur's Gate. Overall it's a very solid RPG. It's got some decent replay value too, since you can mix up your party each time. Now playing the The Black Pits expansion, which seems pretty entertaining though it's nothing more than a series of arena fights.

I also started playing Kingdom Hearts 2. I did not like the 4 hour prologue with Roxas. It's too long and really not engaging in any way. The part with Sora didn't start off that great either. I think I really preferred the story of the first Kingdom Hearts. It wasn't amazing but it had some charm to it which KH2 seems to lack a bit. The gameplay is fantastic though.

[Forum, Portal and Icon Mod]

Wi/Ht? #36 // Steam: Auz

The Top 100 Reviewers List (Last updated: 5 May 2018)

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-03-07 19:27:32

At 3/7/17 05:31 PM, Auz wrote: I also started playing Kingdom Hearts 2. I did not like the 4 hour prologue with Roxas. It's too long and really not engaging in any way. The part with Sora didn't start off that great either. I think I really preferred the story of the first Kingdom Hearts. It wasn't amazing but it had some charm to it which KH2 seems to lack a bit. The gameplay is fantastic though.

I've literally put more time into KH2 than roughly 80-90% of all games I've ever played.
I've played all the way through it more than once and have gotten literally everything humanly possible in the game multiple times over. Out of EVERY Kingdom Hearts game it is hands down my favorite. Granted I will agree with you that the Roxas part in the beginning is very tedious and every time I'm just sitting there thinking "Oh god I can't wait til I get to the part where you can start playing as Sora again..."

Formally known as Viper50

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

At 3/5/17 08:27 AM, Jackho wrote:
At 2/27/17 04:00 PM, Jercurpac wrote: I have Breath of the Wild on preorder so hopefully I can manage to juggle the two games in my spare time. I'm really into The Witcher now, but I've managed to avoid a good 90% of the news and leaked info on the new Zelda so I really want to dive into it when I get it.
How is it? I'm not a fan of Zelda nor Nintendo at all but I have to say Breath of the Wild looks far more appealing to me than any other game in the series has. The graphics sort of make it look like an open world Journey.

I didn't get it until Monday because Amazon fucked up my order. So I've only played the last two days.

It's good. It's both a huge step away from the OoT playbook while still being distinctly Nintendo and Zelda, if that makes sense. There are major changes that I can't believe hadn't been touched yet like finally giving you a jump button. And less obvious ones like like removing heart containers as the means of upgrading health. What they give you is functionally the same, but I'm impressed Nintendo was willing to alter something so iconic.

I like that the game gives you a bunch of tools straight away and since they've stepped away from dungeons as a major focus they're more designed around environmental manipulation and have more open ended uses and are less about being a tool for one type of puzzle in one level. There are shrines all over the map which are like little mini dungeons with a puzzle or two to solve. And what probably surprised me most is the game's focus on physics-based puzzles in these sections. They're not as complex as something like the Portal games, but they're definitely an interesting turn for the series.

The open world itself is a cool beautiful place to run around in. The framerate tanks in towns and places dense in foliage, but what they did with the hardware they had is genuinely impressive. I just came from playing Witcher 3 in 4K and I think BotW is one of the most beautiful open worlds I've played in, which speaks to the strength of Nintendo's art design.

There's a ludicrous amount of attention to detail in how you can interact with enemies. In one spot I started a brush fire to set a group of monsters running and when I grabbed a dropped club an enemy archer shot through the fire which set the arrow on fire, which) hit my wooden club which then burst into flames.

Is it worth buying a Switch for? Personally I don't think any one game is worth buying a new console for, but it does make a strong case for being one of the best launch titles ever.

At 3/7/17 06:22 AM, Jackho wrote: Finally got the platinum trophy in Bloodborne. 115 hours. The chalice dungeons are some of the worst and most frustrating content I've ever played through in any game and I'll look forward to never touching them again.

Congrats, what kind of bullshit do they throw at you in the harder dungeons? I have some friends who like replaying and 100% the SoulsBorne games, but I feel like I'd burn out on them if I did that. Plus I kind of like not getting too good at them so I can kind of recapture that feeling of getting gud all over again.

At 3/7/17 05:31 PM, Auz wrote: After a good 70 hours I finally finished Baldur's Gate. Overall it's a very solid RPG. It's got some decent replay value too, since you can mix up your party each time. Now playing the The Black Pits expansion, which seems pretty entertaining though it's nothing more than a series of arena fights.

I've always wanted to do a run through the Baldur's gate games. I've heard through the two games you go from a scrub farming RouS' for exp to pretty much a god, but it's hard enough to find time for new games. I want the badge of honor for playing an old school CRPG, but it's not like going back to a a hard old NES platformer. Ninja Gaiden made me want to toss my controller, but I still beat it in one sitting.

Happy with what you have to be happy with

you have to be happy with what you have

to be happy with you have to be happy with what you have

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-03-08 15:32:08

Dbz Budokai

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-03-09 19:07:42

At 3/7/17 07:27 PM, Viper wrote:
At 3/7/17 05:31 PM, Auz wrote: I also started playing Kingdom Hearts 2. I did not like the 4 hour prologue with Roxas. It's too long and really not engaging in any way. The part with Sora didn't start off that great either. I think I really preferred the story of the first Kingdom Hearts. It wasn't amazing but it had some charm to it which KH2 seems to lack a bit. The gameplay is fantastic though.
I've literally put more time into KH2 than roughly 80-90% of all games I've ever played.
I've played all the way through it more than once and have gotten literally everything humanly possible in the game multiple times over. Out of EVERY Kingdom Hearts game it is hands down my favorite. Granted I will agree with you that the Roxas part in the beginning is very tedious and every time I'm just sitting there thinking "Oh god I can't wait til I get to the part where you can start playing as Sora again..."

Yeah. I'm at Agrabah right now and the game is much, much better. Favourite world so far is Halloween Town, which was my favourite world of the previous game as well.

Also, I was wishing for more (Disney) songs and then I got to the Little Mermaid stuff which is all very weird.

At 3/8/17 02:38 PM, Jercurpac wrote:
At 3/7/17 05:31 PM, Auz wrote: After a good 70 hours I finally finished Baldur's Gate. Overall it's a very solid RPG. It's got some decent replay value too, since you can mix up your party each time. Now playing the The Black Pits expansion, which seems pretty entertaining though it's nothing more than a series of arena fights.
I've always wanted to do a run through the Baldur's gate games. I've heard through the two games you go from a scrub farming RouS' for exp to pretty much a god, but it's hard enough to find time for new games. I want the badge of honor for playing an old school CRPG, but it's not like going back to a a hard old NES platformer. Ninja Gaiden made me want to toss my controller, but I still beat it in one sitting.

I think I've said it here before, but the low level mooks (kobolds, skeletons) only give lousy XP which is ridiculous considering how they can tear you apart. You really got to do the quests until you get to level 3 or so at which point the difficulty drops a bit. My experience at least.

Anyway, Baldur's Gate is very accessible to modern gamers I think. It's old, but it doesn't feel old. However, it is indeed pretty lengthy. I did some of the add-ons, which you may skip, but I think you're looking at at least 45 hours if you want to play BG properly.

I'm betting you have played Fallout already, but if not: it's much shorter.

I'll be playing BG2 as well, and I got Icewind Dale which my friend liked more.

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-03-11 00:55:38

Cory in the house
The bee game
Both for DS

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-03-11 19:11:07

At 3/9/17 07:07 PM, Auz wrote: Anyway, Baldur's Gate is very accessible to modern gamers I think. It's old, but it doesn't feel old. However, it is indeed pretty lengthy. I did some of the add-ons, which you may skip, but I think you're looking at at least 45 hours if you want to play BG properly.

What version did you play, the original release of the Remastered Edition that came out a few years ago?

I played it back in high school, but wasn't a very patient game back then and I never got too far. I have pretty much all the classic CRPGs on GOG and I've never played more than a few hours of any of them. They taunt me. What I'd really like to do one day if I ever get a bunch of free time is get some graph paper and try playing through one of the old Wizardry or Might and Magic games where you had to map out the game.

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-03-12 16:28:55

Playing through more of Breath of the Wild. I think now I can solidly say that the overwhelmingly strong critical response is overblown. I mean, it's good. It's really good. But to me it feels like a great stepping stone to the perfect Zelda game if they choose to iterate on this formula the next time around.

I really dig the wandering and exploration aspects of the game, but I feel like I'm fatiguing of them sooner than I though I would. That's something that's always going to happen in an open world game,even the best games can only throw so much new at you, but I've only revealed maybe a quarter of the map so I rather not be at the point where I just want to push the story along. I think the game could stand to have less shrines and koroks to discover, but make each one more interesting. Climbing a mountain only to find a stone that you can pick up to reveal a korok is kind of lame, the ones that have some kind of challenge tied to them are interesting and make me feel rewarded for exploring.

I'm also a little upset at how infrequently your powers and the physics of the world play into the average fight. There are tons of cool details in the world to exploit, but it's often pretty cumbersome to set them up. You can set a fire to create a backdraft that let's you fly up in the air and slam down on an enemy, but a perfect dodge (which isn't hard to pull off) gives you a flurry attack that usually straight up kills any enemy, so why bother?

Also, the story is not great right now. It feels about on par with previous Zeldas so while it hasn't radically evolved from OoTs level of storytelling it's also not terrible. Part of that is the bland voice acting which feels like they threw the VAs into a booth and gave them lines to read without context. The fact that there's a whole lot of charm in your interactions with unvoiced NPCs kind of supports that theory for me.

It's still a good game and there's enough exciting things to find that I've yet to totally feel fatigued with exploring. Just when I though I'd seen all the kinds of challenges I can find I stumbled upon an island where all my gear was stripped away and there were enemies everywhere or when I was getting a little bored last night I stumbled upon the Lost Forest, which is probably the coolest and creepiest iteration of the Lost Forest that the series has seen. So there's plenty to see and do even if it stretches its loop of exploring for shrines a little thin.

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-03-12 18:48:15

At 3/11/17 07:11 PM, Jercurpac wrote:
At 3/9/17 07:07 PM, Auz wrote: Anyway, Baldur's Gate is very accessible to modern gamers I think. It's old, but it doesn't feel old. However, it is indeed pretty lengthy. I did some of the add-ons, which you may skip, but I think you're looking at at least 45 hours if you want to play BG properly.
What version did you play, the original release of the Remastered Edition that came out a few years ago?

The Enhanced Edition/Remaster/Whatever.

I don't know what they exactly updated outside of new classes, but some old school players seem to dislike the changes they made.

I played it back in high school, but wasn't a very patient game back then and I never got too far. I have pretty much all the classic CRPGs on GOG and I've never played more than a few hours of any of them. They taunt me.

I didn't get too far the first time either. I didn't really know what I was doing and got impatient with the game as well. You sort of gotta go clockwise around the map which the game kind of hints at in the beginning, but I missed that completely.

It seems to be a thing with these CRPGs that the first couple of hours are the hardest and most confusing... I've played Planescape: Torment, Fallout I & II, and Baldur's Gate now and with all of them I felt kind of disoriented in the beginning.

What I'd really like to do one day if I ever get a bunch of free time is get some graph paper and try playing through one of the old Wizardry or Might and Magic games where you had to map out the game.

Like Might and Magic I or II?

I got pretty far in III and as far as I remember there was no need to draw any maps.

-----

Also, WOOT! WOOT!
@Jackho

BBS Signature

Beat Ratchet and Clank (the new one) and started new game plus. It's great. Definitely one of the best looking games I've ever played, it gets a bit more drab as it goes on but these cityscapes rival Bioshock's Columbia, and they only last one level before you're off to a whole new environment.

As a remake it's a solid improvement over the original, some levels are identical to the originals but some are far more open and interesting, and there's far more creative and varied weapons and gadgets. The story is a bit messier since it's based on the film as well as the game and in particular the movie scenes are awkward and not well integrated. In particular Clank as a character is severely underused as he was hidden away in some office for most of the film, that's the biggest issue. Jokes are kinda hit or miss but there was a few decent laughs overall.

It's not a big enough problem to call it a mark against the game but stops this being what could have been a perfect remake. The film merely existing makes this game worse than it deserves to be.

Pic is one of the many screenshots I took while playing, though still screenshots don't really do it justice. I think this game succeeds at what the Star Wars prequels failed at, with the whole "it's so dense" quote. Every level here has so much movement and life to it, with huge amounts of well-animated enemies coming at you at once. Here's a couple more screens. Glorious 4k resolution.

As of the most recent update we can also set custom wallpapers too, at this rate we'll have as much customisation options as a PSP in just a few years!

At 3/8/17 02:38 PM, Jercurpac wrote: What they give you is functionally the same, but I'm impressed Nintendo was willing to alter something so iconic.

There's some early BOTW concept art of Link wearing jeans, riding a motorbike, playing guitar and fighting off a straight up UFO alien invasion, so I think the inherent goal here was to switch up as much as possible and break away from what people think Zelda is. Of course what we got isn't that far away from samey Zelda and I'd like to have seen the wilder ideas come to fruition, but they still have some ambition there.

I like that the game gives you a bunch of tools straight away

I love this design philosophy, just hand the player everything and let them figure it out. It's the antithesis to the excessive tutorials of the other games, where it feels like they're trying their hardest to make sure there's no surprises or intuition on the player's end.

In one spot I started a brush fire to set a group of monsters running and when I grabbed a dropped club an enemy archer shot through the fire which set the arrow on fire, which) hit my wooden club which then burst into flames.

God damn that sounds excellent. I've ultimately decided against getting a switch any time soon but I'll look forward to trying this out eventually.

Congrats, what kind of bullshit do they throw at you in the harder dungeons?

The cursed and defiled chalice is the worst one, it halves your vitality, so your health is small enough for most enemies to kill you in one attack, and on the off-chance you survive a hit it still takes 3 to 4 vials to refill your health bar. All three bosses are merciless. The second one (Watchdog) gave me the most trouble but defiled Amygdala seems to be one of the most infamous bosses in the game, almost every attack is an instant kill and he has a huge amount of health to whittle down, it takes so long and one bad move has you dead. It reminded me of trying to get a perfect hit rate on the longer songs in the Rock Band games.

Pthumerian Descendant from the last dungeon is the boss that finally made me throw a controller across the room after beating all these games, he just relentlessly attacks without slowing down and if you get out of his range he throws a nearly unavoidable projectile that just goes through objects and boomerangs back to him so it always hits you twice, and has no cooldown so he can just spam you to death with it.

His weakness is being susceptible to parry, but the timing is completely different on him than every other enemy and even after a dozen tries I could never do it consistently despite being pretty good at parrying for the rest of the game. The chalices are all the more frustrating for being worthless, disposable content with none of what makes the core game compelling and laziness more than anything else in the boss design, and then this guy is just way harder than he deserves to be, it feels like I should be able to beat him but just got decimated every time every time.

Ebrietas is the one boss I just gave up on after way too many attempts since she wasn't necessary for the trophy. I was under the impression the chalices are still within the canon of the main game but then they throw another Rom and Ebrietas in there. If they're going to shamelessly copy/paste bosses with their stats buffed up to insanity they could at least pick some that don't break the game's continuity.

I have some friends who like replaying and 100% the SoulsBorne games, but I feel like I'd burn out on them if I did that. Plus I kind of like not getting too good at them so I can kind of recapture that feeling of getting gud all over again.

I can understand it, I played through a chunk of ng+ and it made me realize how much I'll miss playing these areas for the first time, and without knowing the 'eldritch truth' in advance.

This and Dark Souls 1 are the only Souls games I've fully completed though, and I wouldn't have bothered here but I sort of wanted this to be the first platinum I get. I've never played Artorias of the Abyss either despite everyone saying it's some of the best content in the series, guess I'm saving it for an emergency.

I want the badge of honor for playing an old school CRPG, but it's not like going back to a a hard old NES platformer. Ninja Gaiden made me want to toss my controller, but I still beat it in one sitting.

As Auz said, you've probably played it already but the first Fallout game is actually fairly short. It's not unreasonable to finish it in under 10 hours in a first playthrough, and it can be beaten in around 10 minutes since it's an open map. You can walk from the starting position to the final area and just avoid getting hit rather than fighting the high level enemies.

That's one of the reasons it became one of my favourite games actually, the length makes it very easy to replay. I can sit down for an evening and do a full playthrough of Fallout, like you would with a favourite film. Even a pretty thorough run should be over in twenty-something hours.

I've at least tried most of the major CRPGS but Fallout might be the only one I've finished. I've still never even finished Fallout 2.

Also, I just got a code for the Gwent beta on Xbone but my 500 gig hard drive is completely packed. Hopefully I'll get playing that soon. I noticed as well that A King's Tale, the Final Fantasy XV pre order bonus game, is finally available to everyone for free.

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-03-13 13:18:22

At 3/12/17 04:28 PM, Jercurpac wrote: Playing through more of Breath of the Wild. I think now I can solidly say that the overwhelmingly strong critical response is overblown.

Once Mega64 started echoing the 10/10 reviews I almost bought into the hype, but otherwise I didn't take it too seriously. I guess this only makes sense to someone firmly outside of the nintendo fandom but I've felt reviews of nintendo games have been detached from reason and the products out of reach of criticism for a long time, people giving high ratings because it's nintendo and it's what they expected, and not because the games stack up to what the rest of the industry is offering.

I think the game could stand to have less shrines and koroks to discover, but make each one more interesting.

I've played enough open world games to know this feeling, I wish just once that a ubisoft game would forego 30 hostage rescue missions and instead give us one or two that are genuinely full fledged, interesting, memorable missions. I've also heard the BOTW world can feel overly empty but I wouldn't mind a dev being unafraid to make a big world that stands on its own and doesn't need infinite trinkets to make it interesting. Shadow of the Colossus as an example has a memorable world map with almost literally nothing in it.

Also, the story is not great right now.
Part of that is the bland voice acting which feels like they threw the VAs into a booth and gave them lines to read without context.

The voice acting is one of the changes I liked in theory as I've always found it weird and jarring that major nintendo releases still have none, but once I heard the english voices in a trailer... nope. Game voice acting has gotten so good so quickly and it seems they've sorta been left in the dust by not implementing it sooner.

At 3/7/17 05:31 PM, Auz wrote: I also started playing Kingdom Hearts 2. The gameplay is fantastic though.

Is it? I was thinking of getting the KH collection when it's released on PS4 but what I remember of the first game is extremely bland button mashing combat, and from what I've seen of 2.8 it doesn't seem like it's evolved much.

I don't really know anything about this series though, I've only played the first one years ago so I could be completely misinformed about it. If the gameplay is that good I'll definitely give it another try.

At 3/12/17 06:48 PM, Auz wrote: Also, WOOT! WOOT!
@Jackho

Nicely done! Now you just need to do a three hour, no-save, invsible enemy run ;)

I've been wanting to get the current gen re-release since it has several achievements for all these challenge runs, it's mostly stuff I've done before but it would be nice to have a semi-tangible badge for it.

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-03-13 21:02:41

Mario maker

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-03-14 18:41:06

At 3/13/17 01:18 PM, Jackho wrote:
At 3/7/17 05:31 PM, Auz wrote: I also started playing Kingdom Hearts 2. The gameplay is fantastic though.
Is it? I was thinking of getting the KH collection when it's released on PS4 but what I remember of the first game is extremely bland button mashing combat, and from what I've seen of 2.8 it doesn't seem like it's evolved much.

I don't really know anything about this series though, I've only played the first one years ago so I could be completely misinformed about it. If the gameplay is that good I'll definitely give it another try.

Hmm... to be honest I am starting to have some second thoughts.

The fights are really fast paced and flashy and all, but most of them can indeed be resolved by button mashing. There are a few extra things you can do in combat like (limit) drives, but those also just require mashing triangle. I haven't found much use for magic spells or blocking, and I haven't obtained any additional fight moves aside from gaining an extra hit to combo attacks.

Now that I think about it, KH1 might actually have better combat. Some may call it clunky or slow but I felt a little more 'in control'. Also, I remember being able to counter and dodge roll which I haven't been able to do yet in this game.

I also said earlier that I thought KH1's story had more charm to it. So if you did not like KH1 that much, maybe KH2 is not the game for you then.

At 3/12/17 06:48 PM, Auz wrote: Also, WOOT! WOOT!
@Jackho
Nicely done! Now you just need to do a three hour, no-save, invsible enemy run ;)

I've been wanting to get the current gen re-release since it has several achievements for all these challenge runs, it's mostly stuff I've done before but it would be nice to have a semi-tangible badge for it.

Hah! No way I'm even trying that!

I was pretty lucky here since I died a couple of times and then skipped the cutscenes, which shaved off just about enough time to finish in under 5 hours.

What feels weird to me is that the very first crawl through the mansion actually seems like the hardest part of the whole game. The Residence and Laboratory are really not that hard in comparison. Some of the enemies may be tougher in later stages, but they are more predictable than the regular zombies and at least stay down forever when dead.

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-03-18 09:42:15

At 3/14/17 06:41 PM, Auz wrote:
At 3/13/17 01:18 PM, Jackho wrote:

Hmm... to be honest I am starting to have some second thoughts.

The fights are really fast paced and flashy and all, but most of them can indeed be resolved by button mashing. There are a few extra things you can do in combat like (limit) drives, but those also just require mashing triangle. I haven't found much use for magic spells or blocking, and I haven't obtained any additional fight moves aside from gaining an extra hit to combo attacks.

Are you playing on the harder mode? It's been forever since I played it but I remember KH2 having a somewhat robust combat system that's rendered pointless because the game is being insultingly easy. I played the original release of KH2 on "Proud" which was the hard mode and even then I had to run past half the enemies in the game to stay at a low enough level that I felt like I was having an enjoyable challenge. And I wasn't trying to make it Dark Souls hard or anything. Just something that required some thought. Once the difficulty is adjusted you actually need to play with your different abilities to do well and it's actually quite enjoyable. But yeah, I actually had to go out of my way to gimp myself so I could have some kind of challenge.

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-03-20 08:22:17

Decided to mix things up from Zelda everyday and I figure while I'm at it I might as well get some use from the games I get from PS Plus. There was a game called Lumo that I'd never heard of that's a throwback to isometic adventure platformers like Solstice (except without that game's awesome theme song). I don't have a particular fondness for games like that, but it seemed like something different that could be played through in one sitting.

I guess I must have forgotten that isometric platforming was always terrible, continues to be terrible, and will always be terrible. Lumo could have been solid if it focused on exploring and puzzle solving, but it leans hard into jumping puzzles. There are moving platforms, disappearing platforms, ice levels with slide physics on top of moving and disappearing platforms, long platforming segments where you can fall down and be forced to repeat the whole thing. If it didn't have a generous respawn mechanic it would be completely unplayable. It's a shame because I like the game's sense of humor and reverence of classic games, but not every genre needs to be revisited.

I did beat it, but more out of spite than anything else.

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-03-20 16:26:40

Desperados Dead or Alive.

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-03-20 17:58:12

Finally beat Spelunky, which was as enjoyable as it was frustrating. Starting in on Psychonauts, which is also frustrating, but only because my controller's joystick is slightly messed up, and Raz is always slowly moving around, even when I need him to stay still for hopping across platforms.

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-03-22 19:55:47

Made a start with Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn.

Compared to the first, I do find the start more interesting and the setting seems more Asia-inspired rather than plain European fantasy which is a nice change. However, I would say that 'you wake up in a room' is not too original as a start for a video game. They even already did this a year before for crying out loud!

At 3/18/17 09:42 AM, Jercurpac wrote:
At 3/14/17 06:41 PM, Auz wrote: Hmm... to be honest I am starting to have some second thoughts.

Are you playing on the harder mode? It's been forever since I played it but I remember KH2 having a somewhat robust combat system that's rendered pointless because the game is being insultingly easy. I played the original release of KH2 on "Proud" which was the hard mode and even then I had to run past half the enemies in the game to stay at a low enough level that I felt like I was having an enjoyable challenge. And I wasn't trying to make it Dark Souls hard or anything. Just something that required some thought. Once the difficulty is adjusted you actually need to play with your different abilities to do well and it's actually quite enjoyable. But yeah, I actually had to go out of my way to gimp myself so I could have some kind of challenge.

Nah, I'm playing on Normal mode since it was fine in the first game.

Kind of wish I would've known this sooner since I wouldn't mind a slightly higher difficulty and I can't change it anymore now. It's also much too late to restart the game. Oh well...

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-03-24 15:58:00

At 3/9/17 07:07 PM, Auz wrote: Yeah. I'm at Agrabah right now and the game is much, much better. Favourite world so far is Halloween Town, which was my favourite world of the previous game as well.

I'd say my top 5 favorite worlds from KH2 would be:
1. Hollow Bastion (after you get to the part where you get to around Ansem's lab or the Demyx battle)
2. Halloween Town
3. The World That Never Was
4. Agrabah
5. Land of Dragons

Also, I was wishing for more (Disney) songs and then I got to the Little Mermaid stuff which is all very weird.

Eh honestly Atlantica was probably my least favorite world/place/mini game area...thing in the game. Atlantica in 1 was actually interesting and had stuff to do in it whereas it being just song games in 2.
Have you played Birth By Sleep?

When you get into one of these groups theres only a couple of ways you can get out. One is death. The other is mental institution.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-03-25 13:40:19

Going to go back to Battlefield 1. However, I am tempted to get Dishonored 2. It's only £20 in Tesco.

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-03-25 18:49:16

I made a start on Mass Effect Andromeda.

I don't know if it's because my expectations were so low going in, but I'm actually quite enjoying it. The Bioware formula rarely fails (DAII is the only one that I outright didn't enjoy), and even if this is a shadow of its predecessors, that loop of hub, quest, chat with crew, repeat is still inherently satisfying.

It's certainly not as good as ME1, and probably not as good as ME2 either, but it's easily on par with games like ME3 or DA:I. They're both games that I'd describe as forgettable, in that I remember finding them fun enough while playing, but can remember fuck all about them now, whereas ME1 and 2 are much clearer in my mind. ME:A doesn't feel like it'll stick either.

I actually read a review of it in a newspaper last week that described ME1 as being so archaic as to be unplayable. Can you imagine? Bioware's last truly great game, and one of the best of the last generation, is now unplayable to people just a decade later. I mean, the inventory is a bit of a pain, and the Mako was always rubbish, but for fuck's sake lads.

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-03-26 01:47:08

Got around to picking up No Man's Sky again.
I missed playing that game...
It's been a long ass time since I played it (no joke like since December) so I had to catch up with some updates. Apparently they had a "Path Finder" Update after the Foundation one? Going to have to check out Creative Mode sometime to check out the whole car thing you can build.

Last.fm Youtube

BBS Signature

Response to The Game You're Currently Playing 2017-03-26 02:25:26

Touhoumon: Another World. The GBA's got some life in it after all these years. Really impressed with what they can do with such outdated hardware.

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

PU PI PI PU PI PIII

BBS Signature

At 3/25/17 06:49 PM, Absurd-Ditties wrote: I made a start on Mass Effect Andromeda.

I don't know if it's because my expectations were so low going in, but I'm actually quite enjoying it. The Bioware formula rarely fails (DAII is the only one that I outright didn't enjoy), and even if this is a shadow of its predecessors, that loop of hub, quest, chat with crew, repeat is still inherently satisfying.

Seems like any other year this would be a dead time for games and Andromeda would be a welcome release, which is what EA and Bioware were probably counting on, but there's not only been a continual stream of really good games, but it's releasing right after two of the most hyped and most critically acclaimed open world games in recent memory. People are calling the game out for having flaws with $40 million budget, but that's on the low end for a AAA game. That's half of what The Witcher 3 was made for and it's about what Mass Effect 3's budget was. Doesn't excuse the flaws, but it's not surprising that they tried to make a bigger, better looking game with more voice acting and animation and ended up having some aspects suffer if they weren't spending more on it.

At 3/22/17 03:48 PM, Jurornumber3 wrote: I was playing Gun.Smoke on NES, and fuck the fucking Ninja level!

Is that when enemies start pouring out from behind you? Gun.Smoke is one of those classic, "own a turbo controller or break your fingers mashing shoot" games. I don't know if my cart is messed up or I'm just dumb, but I could never get the screen clearing super bomb to work so I had to beat the game without it.

BBS Signature

At 3/26/17 11:08 AM, Jercurpac wrote: Seems like any other year this would be a dead time for games and Andromeda would be a welcome release, which is what EA and Bioware were probably counting on, but there's not only been a continual stream of really good games, but it's releasing right after two of the most hyped and most critically acclaimed open world games in recent memory.

Which two are those? Assume BOTW is one, but what's the other?

Nier Automata is the big competitor for attention, but I'm forcing myself to put it off until I've slogged through Nier itself. I played a couple of hours a while back and wasn't feeling it, but a friend said there's so much I'd miss in Automata if I didn't, so going to give it another shot. I love Platinum so much that it's hard not to just jump right in, though.

EDIT: Oh, right, Horizon. I'd totally forgotten about that game already. I'd written it off as standard Ubisoft open world fodder, which are sort of okay but very bland. Is it actually good?

Formerly TheMaster | PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature