• Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Musician
Mecha Club Mar. 21st, 2008 @ 04:56 PM Reply

Welcome to the Mecha Club.

What is mecha?

Well essentially they're just giant robots, but if you would like a more concise answer check the wikipedia article.

Things that would be acceptable to discuss.

1. Mecha manga/anime/literature
2. Mecha video games
3. Mecha model kits/miniatures

etc.

Rules

1. No Flaming
2. No Spamming
3. No Off-Topic unless it relates to mecha

letterboxd|||| last.fm |||| recommend me hip-hop - G O D // B L E S S // A F R I C A

BBS Signature
Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Musician
Response to Mecha Club Mar. 21st, 2008 @ 04:59 PM Reply

At 3/21/08 04:57 PM, Mendou wrote: I'm not much of a Mecha nut. But i am quite a Gundam fag.

So i'll join.

Wonderful, Mobile Suit Gundam: Char's Counterattack is one of my favorite mecha films of all time.

Mecha Club

letterboxd|||| last.fm |||| recommend me hip-hop - G O D // B L E S S // A F R I C A

BBS Signature
Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Musician
Response to Mecha Club Mar. 21st, 2008 @ 05:10 PM Reply

At 3/21/08 05:03 PM, Mendou wrote: Quess Paraya is one of the most annoying characters ever though.

Quess Paraya is great, I always like characters that side with Zeon.

BBS Signature
Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Musician
Response to Mecha Club Mar. 21st, 2008 @ 05:22 PM Reply

At 3/21/08 05:17 PM, Mendou wrote:
At 3/21/08 05:10 PM, Sekhem wrote:
At 3/21/08 05:03 PM, Mendou wrote: Quess Paraya is one of the most annoying characters ever though.
Quess Paraya is great, I always like characters that side with Zeon.
You say that because you support Zeon, GO TO HELL FASCIST.

It's because they had superior mobile suits, LIKE THE AMAZING GOUF.

Mecha Club

BBS Signature
SapphireLight
SapphireLight
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to Mecha Club Mar. 21st, 2008 @ 05:52 PM Reply

I only like giant mech suits if they're steam powered. I'm not sure why.

BBS Signature
Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Musician
Response to Mecha Club Mar. 21st, 2008 @ 05:57 PM Reply

At 3/21/08 05:52 PM, SapphireLight wrote: I only like giant mech suits if they're steam powered. I'm not sure why.

That sounds cool, but I don't think I've ever seen any good steampunk mecha.

BBS Signature
SapphireLight
SapphireLight
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to Mecha Club Mar. 21st, 2008 @ 06:02 PM Reply

Yes, I do.

I haven't either. "Girl Genius" is a steampunk webcomic that's about as close to it as I've found. <_<

BBS Signature
Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Musician
Response to Mecha Club Mar. 21st, 2008 @ 06:08 PM Reply

At 3/21/08 06:02 PM, SapphireLight wrote: Yes, I do.

I haven't either. "Girl Genius" is a steampunk webcomic that's about as close to it as I've found. <_<

Well you can look forward to the new steampunk mecha film being made right now called Steam Wars. Steam Wars is an alternate history of nineteenth century warfare in which soldiers fight from inside giant, humanoid tanks. On the Steam Wars site, Blamire already has an elaborate history of US giant robots vs. Prussian ones, along with a list of slang used by the steam rig operators (steam rig is the word for the giant robots). The best part is that Blamire came up with his flick without having seen any steampunk or anime stuff -- his original idea was spawned in the 1970s, so it has a very distinctive look that feels fresh compared to all the stuff that's already out there. OK, Blamire, hurry up already and get Steam Wars underway!

Mecha Club

BBS Signature
SapphireLight
SapphireLight
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to Mecha Club Mar. 21st, 2008 @ 11:39 PM Reply

Super keen.

lol, a metal spartan

BBS Signature
P-51
P-51
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Mecha Club Mar. 22nd, 2008 @ 03:58 AM Reply

At 3/21/08 06:02 PM, SapphireLight wrote: Yes, I do.

there's also Sakura Wars. I want in this club. I dig giant robots.

MrTrivia
MrTrivia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Gamer
Response to Mecha Club Mar. 22nd, 2008 @ 09:11 AM Reply

I'd like to join because I love mecha. It's my favorite element of science fiction and anime.
I can't decide what type is my favorite; the 60+ ft "giant robot" seems to be the standard, but the ones in Patlabor are only two stories tall, which makes them a little more plausible. There's also the transforming variety like the Veritech and AI equipped models like the Tachikoma thinktank.
Offhand, I'd say the most user-friendly control setup is the Mobile Trace system from Mobile Fighter G Gundam because the mech matches your own movements. The system used in The Candidate for Goddess (or Pilot Candidate as it was called on Toonami) is similar, but much worse because you need a special blood type and any damage sustained by the mech translates to injury to the pilot.

Jack of all trades, Master of none
Head Scientist of NG Mafia
& proud member of Anime Club

BBS Signature
Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Musician
Response to Mecha Club Mar. 22nd, 2008 @ 01:00 PM Reply

At 3/22/08 03:58 AM, P-51 wrote: there's also Sakura Wars. I want in this club. I dig giant robots.

Welcome to the club, and Sakura Wars is pretty awesome. I only wish that series focused more on the mecha instead of drama between characters(the saturn game is literally a mecha/dating sim).

At 3/22/08 09:11 AM, MrTrivia wrote: I'd like to join because I love mecha. It's my favorite element of science fiction and anime.
I can't decide what type is my favorite; the 60+ ft "giant robot" seems to be the standard, but the ones in Patlabor are only two stories tall, which makes them a little more plausible. There's also the transforming variety like the Veritech and AI equipped models like the Tachikoma thinktank.
Offhand, I'd say the most user-friendly control setup is the Mobile Trace system from Mobile Fighter G Gundam because the mech matches your own movements. The system used in The Candidate for Goddess (or Pilot Candidate as it was called on Toonami) is similar, but much worse because you need a special blood type and any damage sustained by the mech translates to injury to the pilot.

Welcome to the club, as for favorite mecha mine tend to be the more realistic kind such as those depicted in Armored Core or Mechwarrior instead of Tetsujin type mecha(although I enjoy that too).

BBS Signature
P-51
P-51
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Mecha Club Mar. 22nd, 2008 @ 04:38 PM Reply

personally I don't like the backwards chicken leg mecha (mechwarrior, ATATs,etc.) albeit, they're more realistic, I just don't like how they're designed. I'm more inclined towards humanoid or spider mecha. I find myself drawing those better than humanoid or spiders though. kinda ironic, like double-d being ace at an instrument he hates to play (the pedal steel guitar thing).

SapphireLight
SapphireLight
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to Mecha Club Mar. 22nd, 2008 @ 05:02 PM Reply

I forgot to mention I like robots/droids/wtfever in general, and I enjoy games based on them, I just haven't seen a show that's remotely capable of keeping my interest. But I always I enjoy a good steampunk.

BBS Signature
Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Musician
Response to Mecha Club Mar. 22nd, 2008 @ 05:19 PM Reply

At 3/22/08 04:38 PM, P-51 wrote: personally I don't like the backwards chicken leg mecha (mechwarrior, ATATs,etc.) albeit, they're more realistic, I just don't like how they're designed. I'm more inclined towards humanoid or spider mecha. I find myself drawing those better than humanoid or spiders though. kinda ironic, like double-d being ace at an instrument he hates to play (the pedal steel guitar thing).

Yeah realistic mechs aren't quite as exciting as say nearly unstoppable mechs(such as Gundams), but I like them simply for being grounded(mostly) in reality.

At 3/22/08 05:02 PM, SapphireLight wrote: I forgot to mention I like robots/droids/wtfever in general, and I enjoy games based on them, I just haven't seen a show that's remotely capable of keeping my interest. But I always I enjoy a good steampunk.

Well then welcome to the club as well. I'd suggest starting with things such as Castle in the Sky or the work that inspired Castle in the Sky, The Boy Who Saw The Wind. Both feature steampunk imagery and deal with mecha(not much, but it's there).

If you would like to start getting into just mecha I'd suggest watching a shorter mecha series(such as Gasaraki if you enjoy realistic mechs or RahXephon if you enjoy fantasy based mechs) instead of watching the hundreds of Gundam or Macross episodes.

BBS Signature
SapphireLight
SapphireLight
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to Mecha Club Mar. 22nd, 2008 @ 05:24 PM Reply

I've been trying to watch Castle in the Sky for like, two god damn years. I can never find it, or if it's on TV I miss it [but enough to catch the fact it's on].

errrg

BBS Signature
Yghrulez
Yghrulez
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Mecha Club Mar. 22nd, 2008 @ 07:37 PM Reply

At 3/21/08 05:49 PM, Mendou wrote:
Zeon had some good suits. Rick Dom's weren't that bad, the Gelgoogs were good though.

OH GOD YES LET ME IN.

I, like this fine gentleman, am a gundam fag.

Also, Rick Dom is Awesome.

Plus, we wll never forget the original.

Mecha Club

Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Musician
Response to Mecha Club Mar. 22nd, 2008 @ 08:59 PM Reply

At 3/22/08 07:37 PM, Yghrulez wrote:
At 3/21/08 05:49 PM, Mendou wrote:
Zeon had some good suits. Rick Dom's weren't that bad, the Gelgoogs were good though.
OH GOD YES LET ME IN.

I, like this fine gentleman, am a gundam fag.

Also, Rick Dom is Awesome.

Plus, we wll never forget the original.

Only Char's Rick Dom was worth a fuck though, but then again anything by Char is better.

Mecha Club

BBS Signature
Yghrulez
Yghrulez
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Mecha Club Mar. 22nd, 2008 @ 09:06 PM Reply

At 3/22/08 08:59 PM, Sekhem wrote: Only Char's Rick Dom was worth a fuck though, but then again anything by Char is better.

Yes, but Char's Gelgoog was also better.

Especially considering that the pilots assigned to Gelgoggs were inexperianced.

MrTrivia
MrTrivia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Gamer
Response to Mecha Club Mar. 25th, 2008 @ 08:36 AM Reply

Out of curiosity, just how would mecha like Voltron work? There are five mecha-lions that come together to create a much larger humanoid mech, but I can't figure out how five separate sets of controls can be seamlessly rolled into one system.

Jack of all trades, Master of none
Head Scientist of NG Mafia
& proud member of Anime Club

BBS Signature
Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Musician
Response to Mecha Club Mar. 25th, 2008 @ 02:52 PM Reply

At 3/25/08 08:36 AM, MrTrivia wrote: Out of curiosity, just how would mecha like Voltron work? There are five mecha-lions that come together to create a much larger humanoid mech, but I can't figure out how five separate sets of controls can be seamlessly rolled into one system.

Applying logic to Super Robots is probably not a good idea as the creators likely didn't even worry much about being logical and practical. I've actually never watched Voltron, but I can only assume they formed a network and one of the mecha lions control systems overrides everything.

BBS Signature
P-51
P-51
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Mecha Club Mar. 27th, 2008 @ 12:14 PM Reply

At 3/22/08 05:19 PM, Sekhem wrote:

If you would like to start getting into just mecha I'd suggest watching a shorter mecha series(such as Gasaraki if you enjoy realistic mechs or RahXephon if you enjoy fantasy based mechs) instead of watching the hundreds of Gundam or Macross episodes.

Dont forget Armored Trooper Votoms. It's as realistic as mecha could get.

Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Musician
Response to Mecha Club Mar. 29th, 2008 @ 03:48 AM Reply

At 3/27/08 12:14 PM, P-51 wrote:
At 3/22/08 05:19 PM, Sekhem wrote:

Dont forget Armored Trooper Votoms. It's as realistic as mecha could get.

I still haven't seen that yet, coming in the mail though(got it off ebay pretty cheap). I have played Armored Trooper Votoms Dead Ash and it's good however.

BBS Signature
Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Musician
Response to Mecha Club Apr. 10th, 2008 @ 04:06 PM Reply

Mmmmm. new film that looks interesting called Tomo.

Set in the near future, a man is stranded on a barren ice-planet when his cargo ship crash-lands. John's only hope of rescue is through the help of an emergency survival robot or Tomo ("companion" in Japanese). At first John is cautious, but as they battle to survive, he drops his guard, finding friendship and humanity where he least expects it. Adapted from the award winning short, Tomo explores the relationship between humans and their machines, refusing to shy away from what could be a terrifying reality or the great new hope.

Watch the trailer.

Mecha Club

BBS Signature
Yghrulez
Yghrulez
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Mecha Club Apr. 10th, 2008 @ 08:35 PM Reply

VEEEERRRRRYY INTERESTING.

Seems like they will be goung humanoid for mech designs.

SapphireLight
SapphireLight
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to Mecha Club Apr. 10th, 2008 @ 09:06 PM Reply

Sexy.

BBS Signature
P-51
P-51
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Mecha Club Apr. 24th, 2008 @ 01:00 PM Reply

anybody ever played a super robot wars game?

SapphireLight
SapphireLight
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Artist
Response to Mecha Club Apr. 28th, 2008 @ 01:53 AM Reply

I wouldn't reccommend it, but I am somewhat biased against it.

I was told it was Fire Emblem with robots, so I went in with big expectations. They were flattened entirely, so I didn't even bother finishing the game. It wasn't very entertaining gameplay so far and the story was impossible to follow.

BBS Signature
P-51
P-51
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Mecha Club Apr. 29th, 2008 @ 02:35 PM Reply

At 4/27/08 11:08 AM, Mendou wrote:
At 4/24/08 01:00 PM, P-51 wrote: anybody ever played a super robot wars game?
Nope, i have seen one before in a store. Tell me, any good?

if strategy is your favorite genre then go ahead and try it. it's not much to it, except for the crazy over the top super robot specials that are worth watching at least once.

P-51
P-51
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Mecha Club May. 7th, 2008 @ 12:46 AM Reply

anybody seen iron man yet?