New Topic Respond to this Topic
squidly
squidly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Command & Conquer thread 2008-03-20 22:40:12 Reply

So Command and Conquer is known to be the best series ever.
You can talk about any one of the three universes, along with fan made tributes and spin offs.

Just in case you didn't know what the game series is you can easily go here.

Or you can check out these descriptions of the universes.

Command and Conquer: A strange crystal has crashed next to the Tiber River in Italy, this crystal is called Tiberium and has unmatched power, but the radiation and it's fast growth has put the world in two sides. Those who want to stop it, And those who want to spread it's growth.

Red Alert: Hello comrade! In this world the Allied pigs have eliminated Hitler from history, so World War 2 never happened, and letting Stalin go on without oposition, made the Mother Land the ultimate power! And so the Cold War takes a new path in this 1970 battle royal between the Soviets, and the Allies.
Generals: This is a new take on Command and Conquer with a more modern output where a terrorist group called The Global Liberation Army, and super powers USA and China, fight for the outcome of the world.

Good.

hektur
hektur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Command & Conquer thread 2008-03-20 22:42:45 Reply

Red Alert 1&2 = best RTS' ever.

I tried other C&C games but they never seemed to be as addictive as RA.

[Newgrounds] Counter-Strike: Souce Server | 217.163.25.105:27015 | Come play us. HIGH FIVE

BBS Signature
McZero
McZero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Command & Conquer thread 2008-03-20 22:44:05 Reply

Didn't Like Yuri's Revenge? I think it's the BEST RTS, EVER.

liquidfire666
liquidfire666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Command & Conquer thread 2008-03-20 22:56:24 Reply

tiberium wars was so lame beacuse NOD sucked so much it was way to unbalened it was like GDI had all the good vehicals and ground units and Scin had the greatest aircrafts but NOD had nothing dont you agree

hektur
hektur
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Command & Conquer thread 2008-03-20 22:58:22 Reply

At 3/20/08 10:44 PM, McZero wrote: Didn't Like Yuri's Revenge? I think it's the BEST RTS, EVER.

Well yeah of course, I didnt bother mentioning that with RA2 because its just an expansion.

Although I do prefer RA2 to YR. The one thing I like in YR better for sure though is the addition of the gattling tanks.

[Newgrounds] Counter-Strike: Souce Server | 217.163.25.105:27015 | Come play us. HIGH FIVE

BBS Signature
squidly
squidly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Command & Conquer thread 2008-03-20 22:59:25 Reply

At 3/20/08 10:56 PM, liquidfire666 wrote: tiberium wars was so lame beacuse NOD sucked so much it was way to unbalened it was like GDI had all the good vehicals and ground units and Scin had the greatest aircrafts but NOD had nothing dont you agree

Nod was really fast and really good against scrin, they also had a HUGE arsenal of missiles.

Good.

Heinrich
Heinrich
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 47
Movie Buff
Response to Command & Conquer thread 2008-03-20 23:04:36 Reply

I bought a collection of command and conquer games from EB Games for $10.

I got:
-Red Alert 2
-Red Alert 2: Yuri's Revenge
-Tiberian Sun
-Tiberian Sun: Firestorm
-Renegade

Some of them don't work properly under certain conditions so that explains why they were so cheap. =/

But anyways, I played Red Alert 2 and I must say, I had a lot of fun on the campaigns and I loved the cut-scenes how they were live action and humorous. I remember watching one where Yuri and Romanov called General Vladimir after conquering Florida and he was in a hot tub with two women. My little sister and I laughed at that scene.

The only thing that annoys me and my siblings is the constant, "Unit lost unit lost unit lost unit lost unit promoted unit lost unit lost..."
Because of that we made up our own little household meme where we say, "Unit *insert action here*"

It wasn't my favourite of Real Time Strategies but I had fun with them.

BBS Signature
McZero
McZero
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Audiophile
Response to Command & Conquer thread 2008-03-20 23:05:14 Reply

At 3/20/08 10:58 PM, hektur wrote:
Well yeah of course, I didnt bother mentioning that with RA2 because its just an expansion.

Although I do prefer RA2 to YR. The one thing I like in YR better for sure though is the addition of the gattling tanks.

But in YR, you get Arnold, Selvester, and I think Clint Eastwood.

Der-Lowe
Der-Lowe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Command & Conquer thread 2008-03-20 23:08:03 Reply

At 3/20/08 10:40 PM, squidly wrote: Red Alert:

FTW!
I remember I had bought the game, and I had a reeeeeallly slow computer then, and the nuke normally took 10 mins, but since my PC was so slow, it took 30, and the game itself took so much to load, that I could take a shower while it did.

But when I bought a new PC it was teh awesome. I loved the video scenes, when the USSR invades New York, and I remember my little cousin being greatly impressed by the intro.

Ah, good times.

The outstanding faults of the economic society in which we live are its failure to provide for full employment and its arbitrary and inequitable distribution of wealth -- JMK

BBS Signature
7384-9809
7384-9809
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Command & Conquer thread 2008-03-20 23:22:52 Reply

At 3/20/08 10:56 PM, liquidfire666 wrote: tiberium wars was so lame beacuse NOD sucked so much it was way to unbalened it was like GDI had all the good vehicals and ground units and Scin had the greatest aircrafts but NOD had nothing dont you agree

Not really, NOD had some really good infantry units.
The black hand flamethrowers can take care of almost any enemy infantry and do quite a bit of damage to both tanks and structures. Fanatics can destroy all enemy vehicles without too much difficulty (very effective when your enemy's forces are traveling in large groups).

The NOD venom patrol craft (when upgraded with lasers) can easily destroy most scrin aircraft. But make sure your venoms are in about groups of 10.

NOD also has stealth tanks but they useless if you attack your enemy head on (same with almost any NOD vehicle).

liquidfire666
liquidfire666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Command & Conquer thread 2008-03-21 00:04:53 Reply

At 3/20/08 11:22 PM, 7384-9809 wrote: Not really, NOD had some really good infantry units.
The black hand flamethrowers can take care of almost any enemy infantry and do quite a bit of damage to both tanks and structures. Fanatics can destroy all enemy vehicles without too much difficulty (very effective when your enemy's forces are traveling in large groups).

The NOD venom patrol craft (when upgraded with lasers) can easily destroy most scrin aircraft. But make sure your venoms are in about groups of 10.

NOD also has stealth tanks but they useless if you attack your enemy head on (same with almost any NOD vehicle).

GDi has zone troops though that beats pretty much anything and they have a jetpack to them that makes them be able to quickley storm an enemy base and with upgrades zone troopers are unstopable

Republican1235
Republican1235
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Command & Conquer thread 2008-03-21 00:57:48 Reply

best god damn games ever. 2nd only to my love of Zelda

7384-9809
7384-9809
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Command & Conquer thread 2008-03-21 01:14:12 Reply

At 3/21/08 12:04 AM, liquidfire666 wrote: GDi has zone troops though that beats pretty much anything and they have a jetpack to them that makes them be able to quickley storm an enemy base and with upgrades zone troopers are unstopable

Far from it. They cannot attack aircraft so venom patrol craft can cut them down easily.

If they are in large groups or standing still when attacking, the vertigo bomber can also cause serious damage to them.

The NOD confessors' (an upgrade for the NOD militant squad and militant rocket squad) hallucinogenic grenades can cause the zone troopers to attack each other and they can also be run down by scorpion tanks equipped with the dozer blade upgrade.

The NOD Avatar Warmech can also stomp all over them before it is destroyed.

Also the railgun is useless against the NOD black hand and the NOD commando.

It does very little damage.

The only way that they can be unstoppable is if they had sniper support, a few missile squads following them and a grenadier squad to clear out any buildings or you could put them in APCs.

squidly
squidly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Command & Conquer thread 2008-03-21 01:23:36 Reply

At 3/21/08 01:14 AM, 7384-9809 wrote:
At 3/21/08 12:04 AM, liquidfire666 wrote: GDi has zone troops though that beats pretty much anything and they have a jetpack to them that makes them be able to quickley storm an enemy base and with upgrades zone troopers are unstopable
Far from it. They cannot attack aircraft so venom patrol craft can cut them down easily.
If they are in large groups or standing still when attacking, the vertigo bomber can also cause serious damage to them.
The NOD confessors' (an upgrade for the NOD militant squad and militant rocket squad) hallucinogenic grenades can cause the zone troopers to attack each other and they can also be run down by scorpion tanks equipped with the dozer blade upgrade.
The NOD Avatar Warmech can also stomp all over them before it is destroyed.
Also the railgun is useless against the NOD black hand and the NOD commando.
It does very little damage.
The only way that they can be unstoppable is if they had sniper support, a few missile squads following them and a grenadier squad to clear out any buildings or you could put them in APCs.

You see, every single thing you just mentioned, when you go onlne, becomes useless. People use the same strategy over and over which is to build 5000 bases and cranes, then 5000 refineries, then 5000 venoms, avatars, and rocket squads, then they blindly charge in.
What the hell?
THAT'S NOT STRATEGY!
THAT'S BLINDLY RUSHING IN TO DESTROY YOU'RE OPONENT IN 5 SECONDS!
THAT DOESN'T PUT UP FOR AN INTRESTING GAME!

I really do hope the fact that Red Alert 3 will allow you to build bases in water will stop this trend. I would just love to see the face of somebody after waisting all his ore and money on a useless attack force of tanks and conscripts, or 5000 ships when your base is way deep into land, out of their range. And the anoying thing about this whole thing is the fact that to protect yourself, you have to rush your forces too, or else you're dead.
If that "strategy" continues for long, we'll be seeing more maps saying "unlimited money and power" and more games which end up as "epic confrontations" where 5000 tanks and avatars fight another 5000 tanks and avatars until there are only dead bodies as "the toll of a war."

On another note, how many maps do all of you currently have?
I got over a 100 for Tiberium wars.

Good.

PureLionHeart
PureLionHeart
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Command & Conquer thread 2008-03-21 03:55:05 Reply

Great games. I've always favored the Red Alert games myself, and was ecstatic to hear Red Alert 3 was coming to the PS3. I'll be getting C&C3 for the 360 hopefully next month when I purchase the system as well.

King Of Fighters '98: The Slugfest "Nothing Is Perfect, Therefore Perfection Is Flawed." - Adam Lewis

BBS Signature
Future-Mass-Murderer
Future-Mass-Murderer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Command & Conquer thread 2008-03-21 04:00:37 Reply

My personal favorite of every game Is C & C: Tiberian sun/Firestorm.

I also like C & C 3 but I felt it was missing vital vehicles/structures replacing them with useless vehicles/structures.

Insert signature here.

hecjr
hecjr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Command & Conquer thread 2008-03-21 07:44:14 Reply

Yea... I've played one of the C&Cs but that was so long ago (Perhaps at the age of 7) that I can't remember the name :( But, just recently I've played Tiberium Wars. I thought it was a great game.

~L!v3 by da $w0rd, D!3 by da $w0rd~ Halo Club / The Oblivion Faction / WoW Club /Cheats!!

BBS Signature
Chris-Warburton
Chris-Warburton
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Command & Conquer thread 2008-03-21 08:58:27 Reply

I tried playing Renegade just, and the internet still doesn't seem to like it and it just crashed my computer, I was once able to play it.

I like Red Alert 2

Don't worry. I have a plan...

BBS Signature
squidly
squidly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Command & Conquer thread 2008-03-21 14:38:00 Reply

At 3/21/08 08:58 AM, Chris-Warburton wrote: I tried playing Renegade just, and the internet still doesn't seem to like it and it just crashed my computer, I was once able to play it.

I like Red Alert 2

I never really played Renegade, but yeah, RA2 was the best.

Good.

Deflektor
Deflektor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Command & Conquer thread 2008-03-21 14:59:15 Reply

At 3/21/08 02:44 PM, jokerscard wrote: So who here still plays C&C Generals: ZH?
I'd love to get a game with some Newgrounders going.

By the way, i would like to give to a topic in the audio forum. If there are musicians among you, you could help a guy who is currently trying to creat a mod for CnC : Generals.

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic/8790 53

BBS Signature
liquidfire666
liquidfire666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Command & Conquer thread 2008-03-21 15:30:46 Reply

At 3/20/08 11:22 PM, 7384-9809 wrote

Stealth really is usless beacuse of all the abilities to uncover it and it was like in tiberium sun it was just to good

squidly
squidly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Command & Conquer thread 2008-03-21 15:50:58 Reply

At 3/21/08 03:30 PM, liquidfire666 wrote: At 3/20/08 11:22 PM, 7384-9809 wrote
Stealth really is usless beacuse of all the abilities to uncover it and it was like in tiberium sun it was just to good

I actually find disruption towers quite useful.

Good.

liquidfire666
liquidfire666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Command & Conquer thread 2008-03-21 16:44:41 Reply

At 3/21/08 03:50 PM, squidly wrote

oh ya im with you there disruption towers are the best but stealthed units like the GDi snipers or the NOD commando and Stealth tanks there stealth is really usless especially against a Human player

squidly
squidly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Command & Conquer thread 2008-03-21 17:42:49 Reply

At 3/21/08 04:44 PM, liquidfire666 wrote: At 3/21/08 03:50 PM, squidly wrote

oh ya im with you there disruption towers are the best but stealthed units like the GDi snipers or the NOD commando and Stealth tanks there stealth is really usless especially against a Human player

Stalth tanks are a waste of money and space.

Good.

SCUD14
SCUD14
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Blank Slate
Response to Command & Conquer thread 2008-03-21 17:45:01 Reply

At 3/20/08 10:42 PM, hektur wrote: Red Alert 1&2 = best RTS' ever.

Red alert one is indeed amazing. In fact, RA3 is coming out soon this year or next.

Stop looking

squidly
squidly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Command & Conquer thread 2008-03-21 18:04:32 Reply

At 3/21/08 05:45 PM, SCUD14 wrote:
At 3/20/08 10:42 PM, hektur wrote: Red Alert 1&2 = best RTS' ever.

Red alert one is indeed amazing. In fact, RA3 is coming out soon this year or next.

Fall of this year I think, or winter.
They look almost done because they are doing beta and are shooting the live action cut scenes which are usually the last things they do before releasing a game.

Good.

squidly
squidly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Command & Conquer thread 2008-03-21 18:08:22 Reply

You know, we should organize a tiberium wars game (or tournament) soon.
And after it comes out, a Red Alert one too.

Good.

liquidfire666
liquidfire666
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Command & Conquer thread 2008-03-21 19:59:33 Reply

At 3/21/08 05:45 PM, SCUD14 wrote: Red alert one is indeed amazing. In fact, RA3 is coming out soon this year or next.

Any one know who is going to be in RA3 i kinda wander if Yuri is going to break out of the chamber he was put him in
i also hope that theres no individual troop buying any more

ShortMonkey
ShortMonkey
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 32
Blank Slate
Response to Command & Conquer thread 2008-03-21 21:01:12 Reply

I enjoyed Renegade a lot. With Red Alert I produced helicopters then crashed them in the enemy base to kill them off (never really worked). I've never been good at strategy games. I'm better as one of the soldiers, not a commander.

BBS Signature
squidly
squidly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Game Developer
Response to Command & Conquer thread 2008-03-21 22:35:16 Reply

At 3/21/08 07:59 PM, liquidfire666 wrote:
At 3/21/08 05:45 PM, SCUD14 wrote: Red alert one is indeed amazing. In fact, RA3 is coming out soon this year or next.
Any one know who is going to be in RA3 i kinda wander if Yuri is going to break out of the chamber he was put him in
i also hope that theres no individual troop buying any more

Yuri never existed because in RA3 the soviets kill Einstein so that RA1 and RA2 never happen.
And I like individual troop buying!

Good.