Be a Supporter!

Religion is stupid

  • 4,710 Views
  • 204 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic
poxpower
poxpower
  • Member since: Dec. 2, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Religion is stupid Mar. 16th, 2008 @ 05:28 PM Reply

At 3/16/08 05:25 PM, MickTheChampion wrote:
Those debates were actually cryptically about weed versus alcohol.

Alcohol is totally better because:
1- tasty beers
2-sadly pot doesn't work that well on me

DAMN YOU POT


BBS Signature
DingoTheDog
DingoTheDog
  • Member since: Jun. 21, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Religion is stupid Mar. 16th, 2008 @ 05:30 PM Reply

At 3/16/08 05:28 PM, poxpower wrote:
2-sadly pot doesn't work that well on me

Is that becuase you get a bad effect from it or is that a statement like an Indian pleb telling me he doesnt get hangovers from Johnny Walker Black label?


BBS Signature
NeoSoviet
NeoSoviet
  • Member since: Jun. 3, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 39
Blank Slate
Response to Religion is stupid Mar. 16th, 2008 @ 05:34 PM Reply

I just wanted to point at how amazing the human mind is. We created the concept of religion and god, and we can protect those concepts against well organized arguments that try to refute it.

You see, there is a terrible conception that the believe in God is the right way, and that we as atheists need to disprove God. But, as far as logical arguments go, theists are the ones that need to prove the existence of God. You argue that there is no evidence to say there is no God, whereas in reality there is no evidence for the existence of God. You cannot use the non existence of evidence as evidence for existence, because that is simply absurd and illogical.

Prove me that there is no gigantic worm that flies in the sky from one galaxy to the other raping woman from all different planets. Disprove my ideology of the raping worm. Wrong, I need to prove to you that it exists for it to be approved and accepted. But I have no evidence for it, and once again having no evidence against the existence of my gigantic woman-abusing worm is not evidence in it`s favor.

Many religious people point at the sky when trying to explain why God exists. Who do you think could have created something as beautiful as this ? And intelligent designer, only he could.

Now, for the sake of arguing I would not bash their heads against the floor. But I would rather tell them, is this a beautiful world ? I would not even enter the debate from a scientific point, trying to rationalize how chaos evolved into our present reality, I would debate their point from their own perspective. This is not a beautiful world.

The concept of evolution goes against what God preaches. The most brutal, evil and terrible animals are the ones that survive against the most gentle and kind creatures. Where is your god ?

Millions of people are born with deficiencies that provide them miserable lives filled with pain for no reason. Many children die of starvation. Where is your god ? Where is your beautiful world ?

If miracles are there, why does God not re-grow the arm of an amputee ? That would provide enough evidence for miracles. But there isn`t. Most miracles are just very fortunate events that happen to really lucky people. But have scientific evidence to back them up.

Now, trying to provide the argument of who created this beautiful world from a scientific perspective. There are plenty of theories around that question, and most are being tested, and that`s all that matters. Scientific information goes through a process of selection in which wrong information is debated and annihilated, it is this process that gives us ground to attack religion. We create science through science. We may be wrong sometimes, but we try our best to achieve the truth.

Instead, theists have set their rules around what they believe to be the real truth, so they DO NOT seek new knowledge against their believes, because that would be stupid right ? They are already right about everything... right ? How can you believe in something that does not question itself ?

The fact that the human mind is fragile to an extent is why religion is so powerful. It provides people the means to back up their lives, to give their existence a meaning. People don`t feel alone when they pray for a merciful God to help them. That is where the power of God resides, in the peoples own fragility.

All in all, religion is the best machine created by man for mass control. I give it that. One last argument I want to take in consideration.

Many theists say that even though religion did many bad things (killed millions through stupid things, prevented the evolution of science, Inquisition, etc etc I could really go all day) the good things it did outbalance the bad things. Really ?

They say that religion brought morality into the world. Thing is, morality was there before, morals are scripted into our cortex. The same way animals travel in packs and try to avoid hurting eachother on the group. The same way animals protect their young. The same way.

Morality was not introduced by religion, and all the bad things it brought into the world are not counterbalanced by all the good things it did. If I killed a hundred people, but saved a million... would I be forgiven in your eyes ? Let`s say you forgive me, for the sake of examples, and religion killed a trillion and saved a million, would that make religion good in your eyes ? If yes, you are a bad person.

Final summation, if there is a God, there will be evidence for it someday somehow. But I can assure you that this God does not care if you pray in a wooden house or pay money to people who "work" for him. And if he does exist, he does not care, at least not enough to help children who die from starvation, or people with AIDS, or people who lost everything through natural disasters.If there are any grammatical errors I`m sorry, English is not my first language.

Love you guys :3


<3

BBS Signature
LinkSilvermane
LinkSilvermane
  • Member since: Jul. 27, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Religion is stupid Mar. 16th, 2008 @ 05:40 PM Reply

At 3/16/08 04:59 PM, poxpower wrote:
So why be a catholic if you believe some of your precepts are wrong?

Because I believe that there are more correct precepts in Catholicism than in any other religion.
Simple.

No. Again political constructs never claim to be "the truth" as religions do. They can change at will based on LOGIC, religion should not.

Men are imperfect. The writers of the Bible didn't claim to be. We're working on getting ot the real message. See my last comment to Earfetish on that.

bullshit. And again the burden of proof is yours, you claim this thing happens, then there should be evidence of it. I'm trying to google it, can't find shit.

Yoink

I believe in all those things yet am not religious, proving that these are not reason for your religion. Ridiculous.

You asked me for "a single reason to believe in a religion". I gave it to you, regardless of what you might believe in as well.

Holy shitmonkeys you're ignorant.

And you're biased as hell :/

Read a book on the history of the church or something :O

Oh. You mean the atheist's version? Naw, I'll pass.

Too far.

K, lemme tell you what I said back there: there are limits. If and when clapping your hands constitutes an invasion of another person's privacy and/or offends an elevated amount of people, then I'll be against it, just like I am against farting based on religious motives.

So why don't we wait until they are older to teach them religion?

To give them the main idea, then give them the choice to go farther on the religious path, or pass.

Religion is taught to kids for the simple reason that no adult would convert because it's stupid

Again, your opinion.

and that is evidenced by the fact that religious people never jump from one religion to the next.

Check that one, single link I gave you thar.

This has nothing to do with my point.

Then you obviously expressed yourself wrong, since that's exactly what you said.

It's pretty hypocritical

Ah. 'K then, so long as we're on the same page.

Well obviously you haven't read the bible, like 99% of religious people.

More general assumptions. For such an un-ignorant fellow, you do strive to appear as such.

Again, what kind of catholic are you if you pick and choose from the bible?

Oh, you mean the part where I decide not to commit an atrocious form of suicide, when I read that "Give your heart to the lord" bit? Oddly enough, no, that makes me a better Catholic. Because OBVIOUSLY, no one wants you to rip your inner organs out of your chest, including the peopel who wrote the Bible.

Then he escapes yours as well so where the fuck do you get off telling me what he said is right and wrong?

The dispute here is whether he exists or not, not whether or not I understand him :/ you say he doesn't, I say he does, yet you can't really know all that much about him.

Besides, the Celestial Toucan escapes your understanding that women are animals and deserve rape.

I can understand the Toucan bit, but saying that women are animals would probably make me shun that particular deity. God, on the other hand, says no such thing, so I'm all for Him.

So you don't respect their RELIGIOUS BELIEF.

'Kay..this is what, the fourth time? I'm telling you that if that religious belief is openly violent, in an entirely literal sense, then yes, I don't respect that particular religious belief. All the other ones? Yes, I do.

That's the INTELLIGENT way to live.

No, that's actually the way that leads you to be suspicious of pretty much everything, and end up not knowing anything. Kind of like a dude driving defensively, looking in so many different directions for oncoming vehicles in order to avoid an accident, he never keeps his eyes on the road right in front of him.

Again if you knew anything about the history of your dumbass religion, you'd know that the high religious authorities killed people who went against these "non-litteral" parts.

Ah. So the folks that didn't tear holes in their skin, reach past their rib cages, and pull out their hearts, were executed? Smooth.

Only takes one and you won't have a single argument to sway them whereas if they were atheist, you would have plenty.

Oh. So we're supposed to shun religion, because one single person blows himself up? Uhm...no.

Apparently. That's pretty sad when you think about it. But feel free to try and challenge me on that.

"Lol" comes to mind.

Tell me what you know about San Marcellino, possibly without googling him.

"Good" muslims think you are a bad person because you are not Muslim like them.

Pft. Bull. They think I'm a person with different religious beliefs, not a morally corrput one.

Wouldn't you do ANYTHING to get to Heaven? Forever?

Fortunately, not all that much is asked. Plus, more than a week or so a year of pure meditation and prayer, along with constant weekly masses and such, is actually a lot to ask for.

Oh suddenly praying occasionaly is good enough to go to heaven forever?

You'd be surprised (which is weird, considering the wealth of your knowledge of Catholicism :/ ). Technically, all you have to do is ask for forgiveness (not just because you fear Hell, obviously), and you're saved.

And confession? Haha if you knew the fun they use to have with that a couple hundreds years ago.

Oh, please teach me the story of Protestantism and other such historical wonders! :( This "I know more than you, bwahahah" bit is getting old.

Since religion is purely based on faith, I think even you can see the hypocrisy in letting the government decide that religion X is "true" and religion Y isn't.

Alas, that's the world we live in. For time off work, that's what you'll require.

What the fuck would you say to that other dude? You can't disprove his religion either.

Nope. Guess it's up tothe company he works for to decide how much work he can skip, I guess.

Suddenly THAT MUCH violence is ok.

If you have to teach your kid not to stick figners in electrical outlets, do you spank him when he does, or give him a frontal lobotomy...?

Do you have a god-given "violence scale" printed out in the bible that tells you this?

See above response. Give me the same answer regarding the common instruction of children on safety measures.

It's mental terrorism.

Oh.

"Don't touch the electrical wire, or you'll die."

Psycological torture?

Again with the semantic war.
What would you call it if I stabbed you? There, pick your own word.

Murder attempt. Assault.

Torture is harm for harm's sake, obviously.

No, religion is stupid BECAUSE THEY CAN'T SHOW GOD EXISTS.

Oh. I supposethis is the part where I tell you to prove to me that He doesn't.

Prove that I'm not a space robot from planet Lesbian-8

I can't :/ Greetings, for all the fuck I know.

There are no medical benefits and there are sexual drawbacks to it. And it hurts like HELL.

Kudos.

No, you were saying circumcision was necessary to show you're catholic.

Necessary? No. A show of faith? Yes.

Please indicate, exactly, where I said that you can't be considered Catholic if you're not circumsized.

So ultimately, your opinions matter more than other people's facts?

When it comes to circumcision, if those people haven't been subject to it? Uhm...yes.

Why? You're going to heaven. Embrace it.

Haven't had the time to prepare myself for death.

The simple fact that you believe in an afterlife doesn't mean that you welcome it with open arms at any point of your life.

Again...weren't you the expert? :/

I think I know what I'm supposed to do much much better than you do.

Ah. Touchè. Your logical, rational response to why you made this grand promotion of hostility (a.k.a. religion thread), is that you know what you're supposed to do. More so (*gasp!*) than I do.

Well done.


Pure awesomeness. You must read it.

(God-like signature by Zeppekk)

BBS Signature
TheDepthsofHell
TheDepthsofHell
  • Member since: Mar. 25, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 42
Blank Slate
Response to Religion is stupid Mar. 16th, 2008 @ 05:41 PM Reply

Religion isn't actually stupid. granted, i'm an atheist but you have to look past the ridiculous assumptions people use in religion. while it is stupid and ridiculous as hell, it keeps people in check. it's a formal organization that people use and it keeps people occupied and gives them plenty of morals and values to obtain and to follow. as a result, the people aren't savage beasts attacking each other.

and while some religions conflict and cause controversy between themselves (resulting in acts of violence such as wars, crusades, terrorism), in the picture as a whole, it prevents more violence than it causes.


BBS Signature
Minion777
Minion777
  • Member since: Mar. 23, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 38
Blank Slate
Response to Religion is stupid Mar. 16th, 2008 @ 05:46 PM Reply

Time to deride the river, with Gorillas in Acuras.
The way you move is a mystery.


Monster Count: 2999 - Countdown to 3000
DO ANY OF YOU BOYS LIVE IN VIRGINIA?!

BBS Signature
poxpower
poxpower
  • Member since: Dec. 2, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Religion is stupid Mar. 16th, 2008 @ 06:33 PM Reply

At 3/16/08 05:40 PM, LinkSilvermane wrote:
So why be a catholic if you believe some of your precepts are wrong?
Because I believe that there are more correct precepts in Catholicism than in any other religion.
Simple.

So by that exact same logic, if tomorrow I made up a religion that was Catholicism but without all the part you don't agree with, you would be bound by your logic to join it. I shall call it Catholicism2000.


Men are imperfect. The writers of the Bible didn't claim to be. We're working on getting ot the real message

That's a load of bullshit. You're saying that you don't know what the fuck the bible says? Fuck man, either you think it's the word of God or you don't, get a clue. And if it is, why the HELL would it be ambiguous? God is such a dumbass that he doesn't care if people write down his dicated ideas all screwy?
Again if you had studied your own religion's history and the history of the bible, you'd find that it is heavily edited and largely derived from popular pagean myths from the time and so on, it has nothing to do with the word of God and is filled with outright lies and historical inacuracies of staggering proportions.

Yoink

That link only shows that there is a slow gradual shift in faith in america and not even on a personal level but just based on the general population. It doesn't show that any Christians are suddenly becoming muslims, which is what I want you to show me. Maybe you didn't understand well.

You asked me for "a single reason to believe in a religion". I gave it to you, regardless of what you might believe in as well.

Just because you don't understand how the brain's chemistry can produce feelings doesn't mean there is a God.

Oh. You mean the atheist's version? Naw, I'll pass.

A historian's version. And how are YOU not biased? All of a sudden you won't read about your religion unless it's people of your own religion who write it?
Still fine, go dig up historical records of what they did during the middle ages and the 16th and 17th century. I guess historians are biased too right? haha

K, lemme tell you what I said back there: there are limits. If and when clapping your hands constitutes an invasion of another person's privacy and/or offends an elevated amount of people, then

You don't realise that this varies for every person yet a religion cannot vary from person to person since IT'S THE WORD OF GOD. How can God have a different word for every person? How can everyone correctly interpret it and yet come to have wildly different view points and behavior?


To give them the main idea, then give them the choice to go farther on the religious path, or pass.

So I suggest that you raise your kids as Muslims, to give them the main idea of Islam, and then when they are older, you can teach them the catholic faith.
How bout it? If you think it's not utterly mentally dishonest to teach one specific religion to a kid, go ahead and do it.

Again, your opinion.

Show me the stats that show lots of adults convert to religion. Adults tend to LOSE their religion, not gain religion. Smart people are overwhelmingly Atheist. That's a fact and it's NOT a coincidence nor my "opinion".

More general assumptions. For such an un-ignorant fellow, you do strive to appear as such.

So do I need to quote all the violence advocated in the bible now? Is that how it works? And then you try and say "oh ok but when he said it's ok to rape women, he was just being metaphorical, like he meant you have to LOVE women".

The dispute here is whether he exists or not, not whether or not I understand him :/

Well you presume to know which parts of the bible he meant as metaphore when people far smarter, older and more educated than you seem to think those parts are litteral. I refer you to one Kent Hovind, who is creationist who LITERALLY believe the earth was created in 6 days and who, I assure you, is far smarter and devious than you can imagine.
Here's a debate with him in it if you care to watch one of these days: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cffk0zQ3 3k&feature=related

God, on the other hand, says no such thing, so I'm all for Him.

have fun: http://www.cybercollege.com/antiwoman.ht m

I'm telling you that if that religious belief is openly violent, in an entirely literal sense, then yes, I don't respect that particular religious belief.

See this is where you dissociate religion from bad behavior yet still associate it with good behavior. Suddenly when it calls for something you don't like, then it's a bad religion. When it sounds alright to you, then it's a good religion.
Again, you judge the merit of a faith-based concept based on your narrow view of ethics. I mean that's staggeringly nonsensical for pretty much every reason :O


No, that's actually the way that leads you to be suspicious of pretty much everything, and end up not knowing anything.

Says the man who suspiciously doesn't want to check out "atheist" sources on his religion. Of course that's because you're actually an ignorant person whereas a skeptic is someone who becomes incredibly wise quickly because the very nature of his belief system is to be extremely curious and inquisitive and to listen to everyone and look at everything and accept nothing at face value like some fucktard.

Ah. So the folks that didn't tear holes in their skin, reach past their rib cages, and pull out their hearts, were executed? Smooth.

Wow someone never read about Galileo apparently. I guess high school in Italy doesn't teach about famous Italians.

Oh. So we're supposed to shun religion, because one single person blows himself up? Uhm...no.

Hum, yes? Religion clearly doesn't produce good things that only it can produce, and it can produce bad things that only it can produce.
A famous example is to say "Show me one good deed that a religious person has done that couldn't have been done by an atheist" and "then show me an evil deed that was done by a religious person that couldn't have been done by an atheist" ( ex: witch hunts, suicide bombing, ritualistic mutilation of women etc. )

Again and again and again I hear this argument that since religion doesn't harm you, it's great. It's a mental poison that produces mental dinosaurs. Religion belongs to the middle ages.

Tell me what you know about San Marcellino, possibly without googling him.

Even while googling him I can't find anything, so my guess is that he's some local Italian dude who didn't do anything anyone should give a shit about. To think that I, living in Canada, should somehow know about him is pretty retarded.

Pft. Bull. They think I'm a person with different religious beliefs, not a morally corrput one.

Well we can't ask them, but suffice to say a great number of religious people think that people of other religion are going straight to hell.


Fortunately, not all that much is asked.

Again with you saying you know what God thinks all the while saying I couldn't possibly understand him.

Technically, all you have to do is ask for forgiveness (not just because you fear Hell, obviously), and you're saved.

What you have to do is REPENT TRUTHFULLY. I hope you understand this. It's very hard to do. Just going out and being a dick and then getting the "ok" from some random priest isn't enough.

Oh, please teach me the story of Protestantism and other such historical wonders!

Go nuts: http://www.saint-mike.org/apologetics/qa /Answers/Spiritual_Warfare/s0206130044.h tml
Suffice to say that it wasn't kept just between you and the priest and that some very bad things happened to some decent folks because they placed their trust in the confidentiality of confession.


BBS Signature
poxpower
poxpower
  • Member since: Dec. 2, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Religion is stupid Mar. 16th, 2008 @ 06:45 PM Reply

At 3/16/08 05:40 PM, LinkSilvermane wrote:
Alas, that's the world we live in. For time off work, that's what you'll require.

But you're doing it too. You're saying your religion, religion X, is better than other people's religion. In fact by adhering to that religion, you're automatically saying that their religion is worse than yours and that if they weren't so ignorant, they'd join up with yours. That's automaticly implired just as me believing that Ford cars are the best means I believe other people should drive Ford, even though their current car might be fine. It's still not as great as mine.

Nope. Guess it's up tothe company he works for to decide how much work he can skip, I guess.

So there, you'd tell him to fuck off with his batman suit.

If you have to teach your kid not to stick figners in electrical outlets, do you spank him when he does, or give him a frontal lobotomy...?

Do you cut off a little bit of his penis?

"Don't touch the electrical wire, or you'll die."
Psycological torture?

Woah woah there. Hell IS MENTAL TORTURE. You are telling a young credulous child he will BURN IN HELL FOREVER if he displeases you.
LIke, HOLY FUCKING SHIT are you serious? Hell is the worst thing that could happen to anyone. Hitler is in hell. You're basically saying to you kids that they will get what Hitler got if they don't do what you tell them.

That is blatant mental terrorism, if you can't understand this you are willfully ignorant of psychology and you clearly don't understand the concept of AN ETERNITY IN HELL very well...

Murder attempt. Assault.

Assault, there good word. Circumcision is assault on a child, pure and simple.

Torture is harm for harm's sake, obviously.

No, torture has many reasons. But that's not important right now.

No, religion is stupid BECAUSE THEY CAN'T SHOW GOD EXISTS.
Oh. I supposethis is the part where I tell you to prove to me that He doesn't.

You don't get logic very well do you?
YOU CLAIM THAT GOD EXISTS. That's your claim. YOU MAKE THIS CLAIM BY BEING CATHOLIC. You are saying "I AM CATHOLIC BECAUSE I THINK GOD EXIST".
Show me.

If I say " Women are pure evil, they must die" you will ask proof. Yet you don't want to give any proof yourself? You giant hypocrite. Don't you see what the whole point of this debate is? You take something up ON FAITH.
YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO DO THIS. It's completely and utterly dishonest. YOU ARE LYING TO YOURSELF AND TO EVERYONE YOU TRY TO CONVERT.
You are lying to you kid if you raise him catholic.
LYING. Yet in your religion, right there, 10 commandments "you shall not lie".

I can't :/ Greetings, for all the fuck I know.

Right also you have to give me all your money. Prove that you don't have to.
my paypal: poxpowee10@hotmail.com
Awaiting money, since you blindly believe in everythin you can't disprove ( which is 100% of everything ever, sadly for you )

There are no medical benefits and there are sexual drawbacks to it. And it hurts like HELL.
Kudos.

Yeah that's a really fucking neutral source, a site that advocates circumcision. Can't find some from a medical journal or something?
Well here's some: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_ana lysis_of_circumcision#Possible_Complicat ions_of_Circumcision

That article is longer than my dick but it gets the point across.

Go down to this section here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medical_ana lysis_of_circumcision#Costs_and_Benefits

Clearly we woudl benefit from stopping this seemingly harmless assault on baby penises.
The medical benefits are a myth. At BEST it does nothing.

Necessary? No. A show of faith? Yes.

Well forced bodily mutilation to show faith is pretty common in the most primitive tribal religions of Africa and South America, so good job!

When it comes to circumcision, if those people haven't been subject to it? Uhm...yes.

Yeah, fuck doctors. Did you know that you can grow it back? Wath Penn and Teller's bullshit episode about it to see a circumcised dude who grew it back. Apparently his opinion is that you're a dumbass and HE was circumcised too! Also like 3 times your age so at face value I'd tend to take his opinion over yours since you don't have non-religious arguments for it anyways.

Haven't had the time to prepare myself for death.

Ok well when you are ready, tell me and I'll shoot you in the face so you can go to Heaven faster.

The simple fact that you believe in an afterlife doesn't mean that you welcome it with open arms at any point of your life.

Ok so you believe that right now, if you were to die, you would not get into Heaven?
because so far I have yet to see a religious person of any faith think they are not going to go to Heaven. I see them telling everyone ELSE they're going to hell, but themselves? Never.

So yeah, why are you debating on the internet then? Shouldn't you be in Church RIGHT NOW begging to be forgiven? What if a tree falls on your house!? You'll go to hell!

Ah. Touchè. Your logical, rational response to why you made this grand promotion of hostility (a.k.a. religion thread), is that you know what you're supposed to do. More so (*gasp!*) than I do.

Yeah that's because I'm a moderator and you're not and I have been here for 5 years straight so that tends to make the the expert.
And here you will go thinking that since I mentionned I'm a moderator I think I'm super-great for it and all that bullshit.
Man I'm tired of this crap, every time I get in ANY debate with ANYONE they bring up the fact that I'm a moderator like it had anything to do with it.

I'm a user of this forum same as you, I can do the same things anyone can.


BBS Signature
poxpower
poxpower
  • Member since: Dec. 2, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Religion is stupid Mar. 16th, 2008 @ 06:47 PM Reply

At 3/16/08 05:41 PM, MickTheChampion wrote:
I also prefer alcohol; it's much more of a social drug

My cousin has a beer bottle collection, there's like 500 different ones in there...
I'm jealous. I want that.


BBS Signature
Dacheater
Dacheater
  • Member since: Jul. 3, 2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Religion is stupid Mar. 16th, 2008 @ 06:55 PM Reply

Way to strawman religon


This site gives 1.1 cup of food for each click
Please spread it around
http://www.thehungersite.com

LinkSilvermane
LinkSilvermane
  • Member since: Jul. 27, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Religion is stupid Mar. 16th, 2008 @ 07:04 PM Reply

At 3/16/08 06:33 PM, poxpower wrote:
So by that exact same logic, if tomorrow I made up a religion that was Catholicism but without all the part you don't agree with, you would be bound by your logic to join it.

Probably not, namely just because you just made it up, and you're not known to be a creator of morally sound religions...or of any religion, for that matter :/

You're saying that you don't know what the fuck the bible says?

No. What I actually said was "We're working on getting to the real message". Which means that we have a general idea, as did the people who first wrote the Bible itself, and throughout the years we've attempted to define that idea as best we can.

Again if you had studied your own religion's history and the history of the bible, you'd find that it is heavily edited and largely derived from popular pagean myths

So...I don't know the fact that the Roman god "Mitra", conceived about a hundred of years before Christ, was born on the 25th of December? Or that the "stella maris", a known depiction of the Virgin Mary, bears undeniable similarities to Isis, the Motherly Goddess of the first century b.C. and a.D.? :/

For the third or fourth time: it's the principles I'm interested in.

That link only shows that there is a slow gradual shift in faith in america

K. If you want, I can go fetch another few on other areas of the world.

and not even on a personal level but just based on the general population.

Which, surprisingly enough, is made up of...single people 0_0

It doesn't show that any Christians are suddenly becoming muslims, which is what I want you to show me. Maybe you didn't understand well.

I guess not. I thought the dispute was about whether or not people change religions. I said "all the time", you said "gimme proof", remember?

You don't realise that this varies for every person

Laws establish a limit, actually. Kind of like with the audio-pollution dilemma. Or the law that states that you have to shut the hell up after 11 at night.

So I suggest that you raise your kids as Muslims, to give them the main idea of Islam, and then when they are older, you can teach them the catholic faith

OR

We could do as I suggested, which is teach 'em a Catholic faith, then let them decide whether or not to continue being Catholic.

You still haven't countered that comment.

Smart people are overwhelmingly Atheist. That's a fact and it's NOT a coincidence nor my "opinion".

Linkeh.

Let's just hope that approximately 84% of the world's population isn't, quite simply, stupid.

I'm guessing you would have said something like "OWND" in this situation.

So do I need to quote all the violence advocated in the bible now? Is that how it works?

Quote all the cases in which that violence is to be interpreted literaly? Uhm...yeah.

Well you presume to know which parts of the bible he meant as metaphore when people far smarter, older and more educated than you seem to think those parts are litteral.

Oh, no, I'm not that presumptuous, thankfully. Nothing I'm saying hasn't been already said by nowaday clergymen and what not ;)

have fun: http://www.cybercollege.com/antiwoman.ht m

I want you to be ready for this.

I mean really, really ready.

Sitting down? You sure?

'Kay.

The. BIBLE. Is. Subject. To. IN-TER-PRE-TA-TI-ON.

That interpretation has to evolve, alongside society.

When Jesus, for example, says "Give to Cesar that which is Cesar's", he doesn't mean that 2,000 years later, we're supposed to offer small amounts of money to the tomb of Cesar Agustus.

It's the bottom line that counts.

Simply smashing concept, isn't it?

See this is where you dissociate religion from bad behavior

Trust me on this...I'm not. Really.

I'm calling the RELIGIONS that cause bad behavior "bad".

Again, you judge the merit of a faith-based concept based on your narrow view of ethics.

"Narrow view"? So you're convinced that terrorist bombings are ethical?

Ku-fucking-dos.

Says the man who blablabla

Hang on, you seem to have skipped over the second part of my comment there...check it over again, I'm sure you accidentally scrolled down a tad too fast :/

If you want to criticize me on something, kindly don't leave out bits and pieces in which I clearly express my opinion on that same matter.

Wow someone never read about Galileo apparently. I guess high school in Italy doesn't teach about famous Italians.

WAIT

Stop the presses.

Galileo was killed for not taking his heart of out his chest after reading the Bible.

That is what you're saying, considering the comment you're responding to.

Whoa.

Hum, yes? Religion clearly doesn't produce good things

Oh.

K. Hey, democracy SUCKED in Italy for a while, I guess we shouldn't trust how things are going NOW and base our entire view of that form of government on the nasty trouble we had over here with Totalitarisms and shite.

Long live the King.

Also, Jews should be shoved into concentration camps. Why? Because some of them have done nasty things, so that MUST mean that they're all capable of being evil bastards.

Religion belongs to the middle ages.

I'd say "says you", but hey, I'm getting tired of that particular term. I'll be back after I've Google'd a few new ones.

Even while googling him I can't find anything, so my guess is that he's some local Italian dude who didn't do anything anyone should give a shit about.

Ask your local parish priest, if you actually give a shite about it.

Then tell me all about the patron saint of Italian kids, alongside a few others like him.

Yeah. He's kinda important :/

Well we can't ask them, but suffice to say a great number of religious people think that people of other religion are going straight to hell.

I don't :/

Again with you saying you know what God thinks all the while saying I couldn't possibly understand him.

Oh. That's what the handy saints are for...giving us glimpses at His master plan and what not, and telling us what He WANTS and what He OFFERS US, not at what He's like in His entirety.

Aaaaaaaaaaand you skipped the part about why you made this thread and what not, again :/


Pure awesomeness. You must read it.

(God-like signature by Zeppekk)

BBS Signature
LinkSilvermane
LinkSilvermane
  • Member since: Jul. 27, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Religion is stupid Mar. 16th, 2008 @ 07:07 PM Reply

Wait, wait, wait.

I meant "Aaaaaaaaaaand you didn't give me a straight answer about why you made this thread in the first place, while full knowing the consequences" etc.

Carry on.


Pure awesomeness. You must read it.

(God-like signature by Zeppekk)

BBS Signature
JackPhantasm
JackPhantasm
  • Member since: Sep. 29, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Religion is stupid Mar. 16th, 2008 @ 07:24 PM Reply

Know what' stupid. Rammstein.

see my point, if you can
poxpower
poxpower
  • Member since: Dec. 2, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Religion is stupid Mar. 16th, 2008 @ 08:17 PM Reply

At 3/16/08 07:04 PM, LinkSilvermane wrote:
Probably not, namely just because you just made it up,

So because you've never heard of my religion, it's wrong?


No. What I actually said was "We're working on getting to the real message"

I don't think you quite realise what you're saying here. You are blaspheming in the eyes of many many eminent catholics, much more so than you, a lowly 20 year old random Italian guy.
You're saying you're a better, smarter catholic than they are?
Again the bible is the word of God, there is no "we're trying to find the message" bullshit that you can pull on me unless you truly haven't read any of it at all. The bible makes many points quite clearly and litteraly, most importantly that the bible is the WORD OF AN INFALLIBLE GOD.


For the third or fourth time: it's the principles I'm interested in.

Then you're not a catholic.
Sorry to tell you. You maybe label yourself as one, but you are not one. You are misusing the term and stretching it just so that you can still attend the same church as your friends and family.

By that token, I am catholic too because I believe that you shouldn't cause harm. Of course you will leap at me and say "no that's not enough, you need to do X and Y" just as another Catholic will consider you not a catholic FOR THE SAME REASON.

K. If you want, I can go fetch another few on other areas of the world.

Show me stats that clearly demonstrate that ADULTS change from one big religion to the next. Show me muslims massively going towards Judaism. Show me Jews turning to Catholicism.
You might find some, but not a significant amount at all which is extremely telling that you are quite clearly wrong to think picking a religion is a reasoned process. That would mean you are right and everyone would pick your side if they knew better so you're calling everyone else an ignorant person or an idiot since they don't believe what you say is the logically best religion for whatever reasons.

I guess not. I thought the dispute was about whether or not people change religions. I said "all the time", you said "gimme proof", remember?

Your proof wasn't that PEOPLE change religion, it was about how there are people of a different religion in america in the last 30 years, it has nothing to do with it. If 20 million Jew migrated to america tomorrow, those stats would show a shirt towards Judaism in america, but it would not suggest that Christians become Jews.

Or the law that states that you have to shut the hell up after 11 at night.

Do you think they chose that law based on faith, or logic?

We could do as I suggested, which is teach 'em a Catholic faith, then let them decide whether or not to continue being Catholic
You still haven't countered that comment.

How can you claim that teaching a kid religion is unbiased? That's fucking crazy. If you put any faith in that statement, try and raise them as Muslims and see if they will ever become catholics once they are adults.
But no, even though you claim that they would pick your side purely by logic, you wouldn't be willing to test it out.

Linkeh.

here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T27kB4Bjb Eg

Let's just hope that approximately 84% of the world's population isn't, quite simply, stupid.

Not stupid, PRIMITIVE and IGNORANT. That's not their fault ( entirely ) but when I see people like you who live in material confort and free from religious authorities ruling your life 24/7 still make this stupid choice for yourself, I'm really sad inside.

Quote all the cases in which that violence is to be interpreted literaly? Uhm...yeah.

have fun: http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/cruelt y/long.html
Go and find them in your own bible.

The. BIBLE. Is. Subject. To. IN-TER-PRE-TA-TI-ON.

No. That's completely stupid. If you gave the bible to a random dude and told him "it's the word of God", he will take it literally because there is no way to know when you're supposed to interpret it litteraly and when you shouldn't.
It's changed CONSTANTLY throughout history but AT EACH STEP IN HISTORY RELIGIOUS PEOPLE HAVE BEEN 100% SURE THAT THEIR INTERPRETATION OF THE DAY WAS RIGHT.

That interpretation has to evolve, alongside society.

Then why base yourself on it if you're going to change the bible depending on your society?
Are you basing the society on the bible, or the bible on the society?

I'm calling the RELIGIONS that cause bad behavior "bad".

Well your religion has caused tons of it, so it's bad.
OH NO NO BUT WAIT those people weren't interpreting is "correctly". HO BUT WAIT you are qualified to say whic interpretation is correct and which isn't.

Here's my suggestion: BURN THAT STUPID-ASS BOOK, STOP ARGUING ABOUT IT AND FOLLOW THE LAWS OF YOUR COUNTRY.

What statistics show on atheists ( video above ) is that the bible, if anything, makes people WORST CITIZENS.

"Narrow view"? So you're convinced that terrorist bombings are ethical?

If I thought I was going to heaven for it, yes, I wouldn't hesitate a single second to blow up a bus full of babies. You're making a GIANT mistake in thinking that there is some bottom-line fundamental universal book of ethics that all people and religions have. Suicide bombers may be good people who are just misguided and do terrible things as a result.

Galileo was killed for not taking his heart of out his chest after reading the Bible.

stop it with that dumbass line.
Galileo was persecuted because his astronomic OBSERVATIONS went against the bible that said the SUN revolves around the EARTH, something the highest religious authorities at the time took literally.
THEY THOUGHT THAT THE CREATION STORY WAS TRUE.

Where the fuck do YOU get off suddenly claiming it's always been an allegory? For 3000 years, it was preached as absolute truth, and it took SCIENCE to change that RELIGIOUS belief.

Ask your local parish priest, if you actually give a shite about it.

I don't have a "priest". Why don't you go ask your local Imam about Islam while you're at it?
You tell me who that guy was, you brought him up.

Oh. That's what the handy saints are for...giving us glimpses at His master plan and what not, and telling us what He WANTS and what He OFFERS US, not at what He's like in His entirety.

Oh I guess you didn't hear, Saints aren't to be taken litterally.

Aaaaaaaaaaand you skipped the part about why you made this thread and what not, again :/

Because I felt like it and was bored.


BBS Signature
poxpower
poxpower
  • Member since: Dec. 2, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Religion is stupid Mar. 16th, 2008 @ 08:21 PM Reply

At 3/16/08 07:24 PM, JackPhantasm wrote: Know what' stupid. Rammstein.

see my point, if you can

I'm sorry that it took you that long to get in touch with your homosexuality :(


BBS Signature
Bovineoverlord
Bovineoverlord
  • Member since: Sep. 17, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Religion is stupid Mar. 17th, 2008 @ 12:38 AM Reply

....

Fight fight fight fight!


Every thread I touch, dies.

SadisticMonkey
SadisticMonkey
  • Member since: Nov. 16, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Art Lover
Response to Religion is stupid Mar. 17th, 2008 @ 01:23 AM Reply

Obviously vadarism is exempt from aforementioned criticism.


At 8/16/14 11:58 PM, Feoric wrote:
Remember: he was shot in the back 35 feet away from the police cruiser. That's not up for debate.

BBS Signature
homor
homor
  • Member since: Nov. 11, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Gamer
Response to Religion is stupid Mar. 17th, 2008 @ 01:35 AM Reply

good fucking job poxpower, good fucking job, you jackoff.

you just made another pointless religous arguing thread from the point of view of a closed minded athiest.

but now a mod made and is supporting his home made flame war.

great fucking job. great fucking job.


"Guns don't kill people, the government does."
- Dale Gribble
Please do not contact Homor to get your message added to this sig, there is no more room.

BBS Signature
Omega-Epsilon
Omega-Epsilon
  • Member since: Sep. 27, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 35
Blank Slate
Response to Religion is stupid Mar. 17th, 2008 @ 01:41 AM Reply

1. If someone told you they believed in Anubis, the Egyptian God of Death, you would label them as a:

[_] dumbass
[X] ignorant
[_] worthy of running for president
[_] Pharaoh who built a time machine to travel to the future from 2000 B.C.

2. If someone told you they had to clap their hands 5 times a day, you would label them as:

[_] an annoying asshole
[_] a mentally retarded person
[X] someone with some sort of weird neurological disorder
[_] A sane man with a plan

3. If someone told you they cannot eat red foods, you would say they are:

[X] crazy
[_] misinformed about the importance of the skin color of apples
[_] Enlightened
[_] really, really really open-minded in a really really weird way

4. If someone changed the way they act on a daily basis to impress one or more invisible friends, you would react by saying:

[_] There is no one there, dude
[X] Go see a doctor RIGHT NOW, YOU ARE FUCKED UP
[_] Can I have him as a friend too? I'm lonely.

5. If a guy came to school and challenged the history teacher's course with their own book that their parents wrote for them, they would receive a grade of :

[_] A +
[_] B -
[_] D
[_] F
[_] Z
[X] Get the fuck out of here

6. If you had an invisible friend, and encountered someone with a different invisible friend, you reaction would be to:

[X] Violently attack his village/ rape his wife/ pillage his country
[_] Consider that he's the crazy one
[_] Tell him that his friend is actually the same friend as his
[_] Give him some of your meds

7. If someone insisted that they couldn't come to work without wearing their Batman costume, they should get fired...:

[_] Within the hour
[_] Before being hired
[_] Never, because we should hire idiots... er I mean people of a different culture
[X] I'm sorry that last choice sort of suggested that wearing costumes because you think you're forced to rather than you liking the fashion is really stupid. So this choice is just "Never".

8. If someone told you that there was a global conspiracy by all the scientists to perpetuate the supposed "existence" of "micro-organisms", your best guess would be that they are:

[_] Rednecks
[_] Willfully ignorant
[X] Full of shit
[_] Correct, because being a skeptic means choosing a really narrow view of science and deny it for no reason even though you agree with everything else science says.

9. If someone told you that at any one random and very specific day of the year they have to slather themselves with bacon grease you would gladly give them a day off work to do so because:

[_] They will never come back to work after that day, that's for damn sure
[X] They can take at LEAST that one day because it takes a while to get better in a mental institution
[_] Everyone has the right to ritual at any place, any time no matter what.

10. If someone told you they have to cut little bits of baby's ears upon birth because Aphrodite likes smaller ears, his estimated education level would be:

[_] A Doctor
[_] A college freshman
[_] A High school drop out
[X] A medieval peon who lives in a hut made out of cow dung

AdolfHitIer
AdolfHitIer
  • Member since: Feb. 26, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Religion is stupid Mar. 17th, 2008 @ 01:56 AM Reply

Agreed.


BBS Signature
cast
cast
  • Member since: Dec. 15, 1999
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 30
Melancholy
Response to Religion is stupid Mar. 17th, 2008 @ 01:59 AM Reply

The person who made this test is ignorant.

Final answer.


c̴a̶s̴t̷

BBS Signature
homor
homor
  • Member since: Nov. 11, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 15
Gamer
Response to Religion is stupid Mar. 17th, 2008 @ 02:18 AM Reply

At 3/17/08 01:59 AM, cast wrote: The person who made this test is ignorant.

Final answer.

phhf, open mindedness is for dumbasses.


"Guns don't kill people, the government does."
- Dale Gribble
Please do not contact Homor to get your message added to this sig, there is no more room.

BBS Signature
LinkSilvermane
LinkSilvermane
  • Member since: Jul. 27, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 24
Blank Slate
Response to Religion is stupid Mar. 17th, 2008 @ 04:29 AM Reply

At 3/16/08 08:17 PM, poxpower wrote:

Because I felt like it and was bored.

'k.

Second and last time I use this term:

Ku-fucking-dos, moderator man.

Glad you're keeping this place spic and span.


Pure awesomeness. You must read it.

(God-like signature by Zeppekk)

BBS Signature
Brick-top
Brick-top
  • Member since: Oct. 29, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Religion is stupid Mar. 17th, 2008 @ 04:35 AM Reply

At 3/17/08 01:35 AM, homor wrote: great fucking job. great fucking job.

And you spouting bullshit just like he is makes you what? The bigger man? lol

Gergaloth
Gergaloth
  • Member since: Sep. 18, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Religion is stupid Mar. 17th, 2008 @ 05:02 AM Reply

Is that even allowed?


Poopy

BBS Signature
benavides20
benavides20
  • Member since: Dec. 22, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Religion is stupid Mar. 17th, 2008 @ 05:10 AM Reply

Fun time.

1. If someone told you they believed in Anubis, the Egyptian God of Death, you would label them as a:

[_] dumbass
[_] ignorant
[_] worthy of running for president
[x_] Pharaoh who built a time machine to travel to the future from 2000 B.C.

2. If someone told you they had to clap their hands 5 times a day, you would label them as:

[_x] an annoying asshole
[_] a mentally retarded person
[_] someone with some sort of weird neurological disorder
[_] A sane man with a plan

3. If someone told you they cannot eat red foods, you would say they are:

[_] crazy
[_] misinformed about the importance of the skin color of apples
[_] Enlightened
[_x] really, really really open-minded in a really really weird way

4. If someone changed the way they act on a daily basis to impress one or more invisible friends, you would react by saying:

[_x] There is no one there, dude
[_] Go see a doctor RIGHT NOW, YOU ARE FUCKED UP
[_] Can I have him as a friend too? I'm lonely.

5. If a guy came to school and challenged the history teacher's course with their own book that their parents wrote for them, they would receive a grade of :

[_] A +
[_x] B -
[_] D
[_] F
[_] Z
[_] Get the fuck out of here

6. If you had an invisible friend, and encountered someone with a different invisible friend, you reaction would be to:

[_] Violently attack his village/ rape his wife/ pillage his country
[_x] Consider that he's the crazy one
[_] Tell him that his friend is actually the same friend as his
[_] Give him some of your meds

7. If someone insisted that they couldn't come to work without wearing their Batman costume, they should get fired...:

[_] Within the hour
[_] Before being hired
[_] Never, because we should hire idiots... er I mean people of a different culture
[_x] I'm sorry that last choice sort of suggested that wearing costumes because you think you're forced to rather than you liking the fashion is really stupid. So this choice is just "Never".

8. If someone told you that there was a global conspiracy by all the scientists to perpetuate the supposed "existence" of "micro-organisms", your best guess would be that they are:

[_] Rednecks
[_] Willfully ignorant
[_x] Full of shit
[_] Correct, because being a skeptic means choosing a really narrow view of science and deny it for no reason even though you agree with everything else science says.

9. If someone told you that at any one random and very specific day of the year they have to slather themselves with bacon grease you would gladly give them a day off work to do so because:

[_] They will never come back to work after that day, that's for damn sure
[_] They can take at LEAST that one day because it takes a while to get better in a mental institution
[_x] Everyone has the right to ritual at any place, any time no matter what.

10. If someone told you they have to cut little bits of baby's ears upon birth because Aphrodite likes smaller ears, his estimated education level would be:

[_] A Doctor
[_] A college freshman
[_] A High school drop out
[_x] A medieval peon who lives in a hut made out of cow dung


i am nobody and nobodys perfect there for i am perfect

BBS Signature
NOGOODNAME1234
NOGOODNAME1234
  • Member since: Oct. 6, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Religion is stupid Mar. 17th, 2008 @ 06:20 AM Reply

I like how you didn't say anything about main stream religion like christianity or judaism what your saying is shit like voodoo and those cults where you eat a human heart are stupid whitch I could agree with but unless being a jew makes you have to slather yourself in bacon fat but I can see with you that being a jew makes you a winy little bitch


Rough em' up

BBS Signature
NOGOODNAME1234
NOGOODNAME1234
  • Member since: Oct. 6, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Religion is stupid Mar. 17th, 2008 @ 06:22 AM Reply

At 3/17/08 06:20 AM, NOGOODNAME1234 wrote
I like how you didn't say anything about main stream religion like christianity or judaism what your saying is shit like voodoo and those cults where you eat a human heart are stupid whitch I could agree with but unless being a jew makes you have to slather yourself in bacon fat but I can see with you that being a jew makes you a winy little bitch

i forgot buddy jesus

Religion is stupid


Rough em' up

BBS Signature
poxpower
poxpower
  • Member since: Dec. 2, 2000
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Moderator
Level 60
Blank Slate
Response to Religion is stupid Mar. 17th, 2008 @ 08:04 AM Reply

At 3/17/08 04:29 AM, LinkSilvermane wrote:
Ku-fucking-dos, moderator man.

Glad you're keeping this place spic and span.

Well there you go, you have been thoroughly smashed and you are pussying out because you think you're better than me because apparently you come to a forum for some other reason than it entertains you.
It's not to find the truth about anything that for sure. Typical religious behavior.


BBS Signature
SHlT
SHlT
  • Member since: May. 9, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Religion is stupid Mar. 17th, 2008 @ 08:10 AM Reply

uh i dont know. im pretty retarded. i wouldnt really think anything.