New Topic Respond to this Topic
idle
idle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Creative Zen is rubbish Mar. 15th, 2008 @ 04:34 AM Reply

Well, now I'm really angry. Last week I bought a Creative Zen Mp3 player. It worked fine for the first few days, and I was really impressed by it. Nice interface, easy to use, and great picture quality. I loaded some Soprano's on it and watched on the bus home in glee. "This device is going to be awesome" I thought to myself happily.

It was then that the horror began. After 2-3 days, it COMPLETELY STOPPED WORKING. The damn thing was frozen on it's system reboot menu, and nothing worked properly. I had stupidly tried to update the firmware on it, which Creative advised to do. After trying all their troubleshooting advice, and none of it working, I took to the internets to solve the problem. On the Creative forums, I found out that massive bunch of people had the same problem, which was that their players had effectively been turned into paperweights by the official firmware update. See here for more info. Turns out there is some kind of compatability problem with the Creative Firmware and Media PLayer 11. What is most interesting though, is that these posts originated from 2006, and the download is STILL AVAILABLE on their site. GAH! Anyway, after wasting hours trying to troubleshoot the problem, I finally fixed it by rolling back my version of Media Player and reinstalling everything. Creative doesn't seem to want to take responsibilty at all for this problem though.

The next day was spent happily enjoying my player. Everything worked fine, and although I was a bit miffed about the previous debacle, I put it behind me and though "well these things happen". Now, just randomly, the screen has stopped working. It plays music fine, but the screen is just white. So after owning it for only a week max, I have had two major problems, the second one which I can't even fix because without a screen I can't even go into the menu's. Add to this, my computer won't even recognise the drive when its attached. It is pure horror. The screen seems to display sometimes though. I would say, about 20% of the time when I turn it on, the screen displays properly.

So now, I'm going to continue to waste time trying to fix it, and if that doesn't work, I'm going right back to the store to demand a refund which I probably won't get. Once again, the amzing thing is the amount of people on the internet who have also registered such a problem, and the complete lack of information given offically by Creative. Once you buy their product, it seems they no longer care. I have been a Creative fan for some time now, and I will continue to buy their products after this. Even if I manage to get a store credit, I will use it to buy a different Creative Mp3 player which hopefully won't have the same problems (because I don't want an iPod). In the eventuality that I do fix it, should I really have to waste all my time with this bullshit when I just want to be listening to musc? HELL NO.

Creative... SHAME. SHAME. SHAME.

Has anyone else had problems like this with their media players?

BBS Mod. PM with queries and complaints if you must.

LazyTV | Stuff White People Like

BBS Signature
AcidSoldier
AcidSoldier
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Creative Zen is rubbish Mar. 15th, 2008 @ 04:36 AM Reply

Just save up for an iPod, but if you must, I warn you, get a zune.

I can't actually imagine why you're looking down here, but while you are...
MSN: acidsoldier@gmail.com, Steam: boomman123321

BBS Signature
RedDreadSky
RedDreadSky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Creative Zen is rubbish Mar. 15th, 2008 @ 04:40 AM Reply

I have had two Sansas break down on me. One took AAA, and after I replaced the batter it stayed on the Finalizing Update screen forever, even though I had uploaded no new music. The other had the battery die, and when I went to replace it, the Sansa didn't show a 'Connecting' screen, it just stayed blank.

BBS Signature
Terminator
Terminator
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Programmer
Response to Creative Zen is rubbish Mar. 15th, 2008 @ 04:42 AM Reply

There has got to be some kind of coverage for you there. I work for a particular phone company and the condition on the return of the handset is

a) Replacement in the first 30 days OR
b) Repair within the first 12 months

Now having this many issues also comes into play. Our policy is that if it fails 3 times that we must also replace it.
Now seeing that your player has got to cost lest than the latest mobiles, surely there's something you can do. Take it back to the store and demand a refund. You are well within your right to be or at least to have it sent away and fixed with some kind of compensation in the meantime.

At least now if I ever do buy a player it the future, I know what it won't be.

BBS Signature
Drift-And-Die
Drift-And-Die
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Creative Zen is rubbish Mar. 15th, 2008 @ 04:43 AM Reply

Mine's worked fine since the end of 2006.

Gagsy
Gagsy
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 52
Audiophile
Response to Creative Zen is rubbish Mar. 15th, 2008 @ 04:44 AM Reply

At 3/15/08 04:34 AM, idle wrote:
Has anyone else had problems like this with their media players?

No as I don't have one, but this post has convinced me never to get one. When my own Sony mp3 player dies I'll be sure to go straight to ipod. =[

[I've been wandering round but I still come back to you]

BBS Signature
homor
homor
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Gamer
Response to Creative Zen is rubbish Mar. 15th, 2008 @ 04:46 AM Reply

i fucking hate computers.

"Guns don't kill people, the government does."
- Dale Gribble
Please do not contact Homor to get your message added to this sig, there is no more room.

BBS Signature
Jin
Jin
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 49
Blank Slate
Response to Creative Zen is rubbish Mar. 15th, 2008 @ 04:46 AM Reply

My first ever birthday present was a Creative Zen MP3 player. I never use it.

BBS Signature
AlkaSeltzer
AlkaSeltzer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Creative Zen is rubbish Mar. 15th, 2008 @ 04:48 AM Reply

If there is one thing in this world I hate, it is when a company releases a faulty product and continues to release it. Everything of mine is like this, everything. My Shinco Portable DVD player, My XBOX 360, My Chocolate LG phone and yes, my creative ZEN, it pisses me off. I have gone through 3 Portable DVD players. It's fucked.

BBS Signature
RedDreadSky
RedDreadSky
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Creative Zen is rubbish Mar. 15th, 2008 @ 04:49 AM Reply

At 3/15/08 04:47 AM, butt7 wrote: Do you have to blame Creative Labs for your problems? You probably haven't downloaded proper Firmware, too. You shouldn't continue to be optimistic about enjoying your electronic devices,

He downloaded the proper filmware, but the filmware wasn;t compatible with Media Player 11. Did you even read it?

BBS Signature
AlkaSeltzer
AlkaSeltzer
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Creative Zen is rubbish Mar. 15th, 2008 @ 04:51 AM Reply

I think my Zen just had hardware failure. I got a complete refund, and didn't have to buy another Zen from the store, I just hopped on the iPod bandwagon.

BBS Signature
idle
idle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Creative Zen is rubbish Mar. 15th, 2008 @ 05:02 AM Reply

At 3/15/08 04:43 AM, Drift-And-Die wrote: Mine's worked fine since the end of 2006.

Have you ever tried updating the Firmware?

At 3/15/08 04:44 AM, Gagsy wrote: No as I don't have one, but this post has convinced me never to get one. When my own Sony mp3 player dies I'll be sure to go straight to ipod. =[

My previous player was a Sony, and I had no problems with it at all. It served me well for years.

At 3/15/08 04:42 AM, Terminator wrote: Now seeing that your player has got to cost lest than the latest mobiles, surely there's something you can do. Take it back to the store and demand a refund. You are well within your right to be or at least to have it sent away and fixed with some kind of compensation in the meantime.

Yeah, I'm just going to rock up there and explain what has happened, hopefully they will be reasonable people. As I mentioned in the OP I would be happy to get a store credit so I could pick up a Zen V, but I'm sure they will try to make me send it away which will take weeks.

At 3/15/08 04:36 AM, AcidSoldier wrote: Just save up for an iPod, but if you must, I warn you, get a zune.

Well, That would just be admitting defeat. I really don't want to just buy a new one when I have already shelled out $250 for this one. Seems kind of silly.

At 3/15/08 04:47 AM, butt7 wrote: Do you have to blame Creative Labs for your problems? You probably haven't downloaded proper Firmware, too. You shouldn't continue to be optimistic about enjoying your electronic devices,

Yes I do have to blame them. I downloaded the firmware from their OFFICIAL SITE. Next time read the post fully.

I don't even understand the relevance of the last part of your post. I paid for it, it should work.

At 3/15/08 04:48 AM, JarrodK wrote: If there is one thing in this world I hate, it is when a company releases a faulty product and continues to release it. Everything of mine is like this, everything. My Shinco Portable DVD player, My XBOX 360, My Chocolate LG phone and yes, my creative ZEN, it pisses me off. I have gone through 3 Portable DVD players. It's fucked.

Heh, let us hate the world together then ;)

BBS Signature
Sawdust
Sawdust
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Musician
Response to Creative Zen is rubbish Mar. 15th, 2008 @ 05:05 AM Reply

SUMMARY: SONY MAKES DAMN GOOD MP3 PLAYERS. Get a walkman or an archos instead.

Corky-D
Corky-D
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Melancholy
Response to Creative Zen is rubbish Mar. 15th, 2008 @ 06:32 AM Reply

At 3/15/08 05:05 AM, Xmanne wrote: Get an archos instead.

FUCK.NO.

Those bastards.

I bought an MP3 Player from Archos, this one.

Not only is the menu utter crap but they also had the cheek to build a harddisk into it.
NOT A FLASH DISK.

Meaning it´s slow as shit, every song takes a minimum of 9 seconds to load.
Sure, doesn´t sound like alot, but it annoys after awhile.

Don´t buy one, or at least not this one.

1, 2, 3, Coffee 4, 5, 8, too late

BBS Signature
whatty
whatty
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Blank Slate
Response to Creative Zen is rubbish Mar. 15th, 2008 @ 06:40 AM Reply

Nah, I find that the Zen is an ugly piece of shit. The hardware always breaks. but the software is holeless. (IMO)

Weak Men are Hard on Others while Strong Men are Hard on Themselves.

BBS Signature
Corky-D
Corky-D
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Melancholy
Response to Creative Zen is rubbish Mar. 15th, 2008 @ 06:41 AM Reply

At 3/15/08 06:35 AM, Ejit wrote:
So next time look at the specifications and reviews for what you are buying.

It was a spur of the moment buy. I assumed they wouldn´t be stupid enough to use a Hard disk for only 4 GB as opposed to the solid state flash disks.

Also, I'm quite sure that all high capacity mp3 players are built on hard disks, it's not exactly 'cheek'...

Yes.
High capacity.
4 GB is not a high capacity compared to others.

1, 2, 3, Coffee 4, 5, 8, too late

BBS Signature
PigletsMemories
PigletsMemories
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Creative Zen is rubbish Apr. 22nd, 2008 @ 02:04 AM Reply

Are you still having the blues with this situation?

"Placing an almost grand story in the description and then giving us a lame random gif image to an equally random song is like beautifully gift wrapping a pile of dung"
Kaisar

BBS Signature
Seriana
Seriana
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Creative Zen is rubbish Apr. 22nd, 2008 @ 02:10 AM Reply

Creative is infamous for their terrible support and drivers.

I think I've had at least 8 sound cards from them. The only reason I keep buying them is because they're the only ones that can give me a MIDI in/out in the same slots without an external converter.

36Holla
36Holla
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Filmmaker
Response to Creative Zen is rubbish Apr. 22nd, 2008 @ 02:16 AM Reply

Not especially with a media player, but the part where you said that the companies don't give out info on these problems even though they're common is just like the time last year when my computers keyboard started screwing up. I would push one key and it would type a different letter, but the kicker was that it switched between letters, so if I typed on the K key it would show up as an L or a K which got very annoying type with.

Turns out, this problem is inevitable with my type of computer as almost everyone who has the same type of computer had the same problem. Dell also knows about the problem but they say that it isn't detrimental enough to the process of using the computer that it justifies fixing the problem on the assembly line or at the very least provide a free replacement keyboard. I had to spend 20 bucks for a new one, and it works fine now, but I know it's going to screw up again eventually. I can tell you that my next computer isn't going to be a Dell though. They blew it.

Sig by THEJamoke Contributor to PONIES: The Anthology 2 and Anthology 3 Go watch them now!

BBS Signature
FIGMENTUM
FIGMENTUM
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Blank Slate
Response to Creative Zen is rubbish Apr. 22nd, 2008 @ 02:25 AM Reply

I blame the 'cram as many features in as possible regardless of whether they're useful or not' mentality a lot of these sort of companies seem to have these days. My Zen Micro which I got on Christmas '05 is still serving me fine, and the only things you can do on that are music, radio, removable disk and basic organisation (calendar, clock, etc).

I'll probably read this in ten minutes and facepalm. - RageVI

BBS Signature
Sekhem
Sekhem
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 31
Musician
Response to Creative Zen is rubbish Apr. 22nd, 2008 @ 02:25 AM Reply

buy a zune faggots

letterboxd|||| last.fm |||| recommend me hip-hop - G O D // B L E S S // A F R I C A

BBS Signature
Eskimo-Pok
Eskimo-Pok
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Creative Zen is rubbish Apr. 22nd, 2008 @ 02:30 AM Reply

hopefully you get a refund, just dont buy an ipod... i:river, samsung, m:robe & tons others make much better mp3 players

I'm a sheep Hurr Durr

BBS Signature
Warrickneff
Warrickneff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 28
Reader
Response to Creative Zen is rubbish Apr. 22nd, 2008 @ 02:34 AM Reply

I just "bricked" my iPod Nano today.

I can't really consider it a brick or a paperweight because it's not very heavy. Plugging it in does nothing, pushing buttons does nothing. The hold switch isn't pushed, and flicking it changes nothing.

Not even a sad face that is typical from these things.
GRR.

BBS Signature
idle
idle
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Creative Zen is rubbish Apr. 22nd, 2008 @ 02:40 AM Reply

At 4/22/08 02:04 AM, PigletsMemories wrote: Are you still having the blues with this situation?

Actually no. I replaced the Zen with a different model from Creative.

I have been quite happy with the replacement. It's not nearly as fiddly, and, like FIG said, I also blame alot of the problems with the old one on Creative trying to make it do too much. Nothing beats the old Mp3 players which JUST played music. Thats all I want it to do anyway.

So yeah, no real dramas, except for the fact that my new Zen V seems to RANDOMLY STOP PLAYING MUSIC AS IF IT'S BEEN PAUSED WHEN IT ACTUALLY HASN'T at times.

Still, works the vast majority of the time. It's battery life is shit though.

BBS Signature
Lost-Chances
Lost-Chances
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Blank Slate
Response to Creative Zen is rubbish Apr. 22nd, 2008 @ 03:25 AM Reply

This is why I have a cheap £40 mp3 player. Think it's nearly a year old and the only problem I've had with it is I've gone through headphones stupidly fast.

This too will pass.
Memento mori

BBS Signature
LazyPint
LazyPint
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Gamer
Response to Creative Zen is rubbish Apr. 22nd, 2008 @ 03:45 AM Reply

Glad you got it sorted. I've had a Creative since last summer and it's still OK. Got the dock and everything.

Good luck with the new one.

Bridge of Weir Meet-Up 2012, a real thing that's definitely real! You won't believe how real it is!*

*Realness not guaranteed.