00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mike181 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Pico Day Art Contest: Discussion

37,530 Views | 620 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to Pico Day Art Contest: Discussion 2008-03-26 13:45:37

At 3/25/08 06:52 PM, MarcusRaven wrote: You don't have to draw something new on my account. (Unless you really want to. ^_^) I was just hoping you might have something done previously. Those profile images had to come from something, right. Lol. I still have to finish my P-Bot and A-Bot, so I may have an idea by then. ^_^

meh it didnt take that long, but probably wont help since its sloppy..

things to note I guess. M bot has a neck guard very similar to Man-at-arms from he-man.
he has claws for fingers, his cap is basically the visor from optimus prime mixed in with a police cap.
his neck guard flows into his helmet so as to make one piece when he retracts his head. he has a heel joint.. and he has points on his knees and elbows.. aside from that hes a more slender version of Pbot, and maybe a smidgen taller.

Response to Pico Day Art Contest: Discussion 2008-03-26 16:09:36

At 3/26/08 12:18 PM, Luis wrote:
At 3/26/08 11:42 AM, Occluded wrote: Just lettin' you guys know I'm still working. In a very slow lazy fashion, but on it none the less.
I think that's a cool idea. Since you are doing a more extreme makeover i'd make sure to keep the essence of what A-Bot's duties and function are. I know you havent colored it and that will help it alot, but i also think it could have more audio related gadgets and features on it. I mean youre drawing a bot that is in change of an audio portal, one of the very distinctive things about A-Bot is that he could double as a 1980's boombox. theres no doubt that the robot is made for something audio related even if its the first you've ever seen A-Bot.

Somethin to think about.

Thanks. I'm right there with you. I did look up pics of Blaster (transfromers, I used to have him actually) That I assume was the inspiration for A-Bot. He's just so damn blocky. Too blocky to be feminine. I didn't really think of possible alternatives to the boombox, until I got your critique. It's a bit late for that now I'm afraid. Good thought. Dammit.

Anyway. I did keep function in mind. It was secondary to form I admit. Taking a lot of Elements from A-bot and translating them. Speakers on the legs. The Spectrum thingy on front. You can kind of see the eraser outline of a CD she is going to be holding. There are a couple touches that aren't evident yet, but I'm hoping they're pleasantly surprising.

Regardless that for keeping me mindful of it.

Response to Pico Day Art Contest: Discussion 2008-03-26 16:46:42

This is what i've got so far. I guess I'm going for a more realistic looking version of the tank men, without changing the shapes of things. The men will be taller and such, but textures and details will be applied. What do u think?

Response to Pico Day Art Contest: Discussion 2008-03-26 17:47:18

Hey can somebody tell me what improvements these need?

MAGIC SEXY WIZARD

SOUNDCLOUD|FACEBOOK|TWITTER|

MAGIC SEXY WIZARD IS RELEASING A MIXTAPE FEBRUARY ENTITLED "HIGH KING KUNG FU GOD"

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day Art Contest: Discussion 2008-03-26 18:03:17

At 3/26/08 05:47 PM, peanutbutterclawk wrote: Hey can somebody tell me what improvements these need?

i'd say pick a series and stick with it, i do find your pico to have more personality than your tankmen. So seeing a nene and darnell in that style would be just lovely.

None

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day Art Contest: Discussion 2008-03-26 18:07:22

My first shot at pico, it was an experiment using photoshop to draw it, but tell me what you think and what I could work on in this one or in photoshop stuff I do in the future. The anatomy is meant to be loose and bendy, especially that right leg. I got a suggestion to define the gun more, so I'm going to have to look into how to draw guns... anyway it's a wip.

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day Art Contest: Discussion 2008-03-26 18:13:09

just the line work for my dad picture, any ideas? suggestions? kittens?

"We require more nonsense! Somebody fetch me a turtle..." ~ Bringerzl

Response to Pico Day Art Contest: Discussion 2008-03-26 18:27:50

At 3/26/08 06:03 PM, Luis wrote:
At 3/26/08 05:47 PM, peanutbutterclawk wrote: Hey can somebody tell me what improvements these need?
i'd say pick a series and stick with it, i do find your pico to have more personality than your tankmen. So seeing a nene and darnell in that style would be just lovely.

alright cool! I'll make darnel and nene with pico and then make a seperate one with the tankman too.

MAGIC SEXY WIZARD

MAGIC SEXY WIZARD IS RELEASING A MIXTAPE FEBRUARY ENTITLED "HIGH KING KUNG FU GOD"

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day Art Contest: Discussion 2008-03-26 18:51:47

I haven't done the arms on Steve yet. And Captain is next of course.

Response to Pico Day Art Contest: Discussion 2008-03-26 18:54:25

Finally done with the sketch part. Now for the photoshop.

Response to Pico Day Art Contest: Discussion 2008-03-26 19:26:47

Alot of nice pieces in this page... i'll try and provide feedback on all the ones i see.. (unless i've already given some feedback and have nothing further)

===========================

Coaly: I agree with the comment on definine the gun more. I think your shading begins to get too similar and not all things have soft shadows. Right now the sweater and gun both feel soft. I would work on looking at how hard the light and shadows are on metal surfaces. Mindchamber's bot's seem to have alot of hard shadows and highlights where you could draw some inspiration from.
In regards to the figure, i like the bendy aspect of it, i find that the left arm has a corner thats too sharp where the elbow bends and it looks out of place in comparison to how elastic his other limbs are when they bend. I'd experiment giving that bend more curve so its not such a sharp angle.

Voidshatter: Looks good, I think the feet look a little weak. I'm not sure what exactly they need but they look like they have too plain of proportions. I'd look at how Mr. Incredible of the Incredibles is built in his proportions.. you'll notice it has a comfortable top heavy feel to it. Other than that i think its comin along nicely. The left arm looks a little wierd in the way you have the muscles there, I'm going to assume that was intentional though.

danomano65: Nice tank. The tankman is also refreshing. i think my only suggestion is to not have your tank be too horsey and chunky in its line quality.. you have some really nice details and attention to detail on the tankman and the tank is looking a little out of place. If you intended to continue adding details well then ignore my comment lmao. maybe you could incorporate a little more color into it.

None

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day Art Contest: Discussion 2008-03-26 19:38:08

At 3/26/08 07:26 PM, Luis wrote: Voidshatter: Looks good, I think the feet look a little weak. I'm not sure what exactly they need but they look like they have too plain of proportions. The left arm looks a little wierd in the way you have the muscles there, I'm going to assume that was intentional though.

thanks, i thought the legs were weird too, i'll see what i can do with the left arm

"We require more nonsense! Somebody fetch me a turtle..." ~ Bringerzl

Response to Pico Day Art Contest: Discussion 2008-03-26 19:43:55

Meh, doesn't stack up to the rest of these :/
Suggestions?

Response to Pico Day Art Contest: Discussion 2008-03-26 20:35:51

At 3/26/08 06:51 PM, danomano65 wrote: I haven't done the arms on Steve yet. And Captain is next of course.

I reckon he looks cool without arms, lol

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day Art Contest: Discussion 2008-03-26 21:00:14

okay here's the darnell I drew with the pico, Any suggestions for improvement? I'll start on Nene when I'm sure if there's nothing wrong with it.

MAGIC SEXY WIZARD

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day Art Contest: Discussion 2008-03-26 21:07:07

At 3/26/08 09:00 PM, peanutbutterclawk wrote: okay here's the darnell I drew with the pico, Any suggestions for improvement? I'll start on Nene when I'm sure if there's nothing wrong with it.

It's kind of boring how they have pretty much the same pose. Apart from that, pretty nice.

Doors. You'll know when they're appropriate.

dA

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day Art Contest: Discussion 2008-03-26 21:10:37

At 3/26/08 09:07 PM, Maxxor wrote:
At 3/26/08 09:00 PM, peanutbutterclawk wrote: okay here's the darnell I drew with the pico, Any suggestions for improvement? I'll start on Nene when I'm sure if there's nothing wrong with it.
It's kind of boring how they have pretty much the same pose. Apart from that, pretty nice.

oh shit I didn't notice that. I'll flip darnell around and put nene inbetween them or something

MAGIC SEXY WIZARD

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day Art Contest: Discussion 2008-03-26 21:31:57

At 3/26/08 08:35 PM, Armlessman wrote:
At 3/26/08 06:51 PM, danomano65 wrote: I haven't done the arms on Steve yet. And Captain is next of course.
I reckon he looks cool without arms, lol

omg. armlessman. HAHAHAHA

Response to Pico Day Art Contest: Discussion 2008-03-26 22:43:06

alright all the characters are done, any criticism before I put it in the art thread?

MAGIC SEXY WIZARD

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day Art Contest: Discussion 2008-03-26 23:41:13

so close to completing...so very close...

Response to Pico Day Art Contest: Discussion 2008-03-27 00:02:11

escaping from 3d for a while

Response to Pico Day Art Contest: Discussion 2008-03-27 00:28:25

Don't have access to anything to reduce the size of the file, so I'll have to link it to an outside source.

It's the early stages of Dad from dad n me.

I went for a realistic approach I guess?

I just need to find a way to get the white face paint to look real on the skin...

http://img521.imageshack.us/my.php?image =conceptkr3.jpg

My Art. Enjoy Life

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day Art Contest: Discussion 2008-03-27 00:37:47

what do people think of my tankmen.. i feel like something is wrong cant put my finger on it!
do comment

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day Art Contest: Discussion 2008-03-27 00:42:40

At 3/27/08 12:37 AM, Poopoothegorilla wrote: what do people think of my tankmen.. i feel like something is wrong cant put my finger on it!
do comment

Hahaha i like the joke. This is what i've done since i watched South Park. Kinda delayed things.

Response to Pico Day Art Contest: Discussion 2008-03-27 00:52:13

thanks man. i like your tankman alot, i feel that the tank sorta doesn't fit with the man though, i think it might be the line thickness, but i am not sure. Looks great though

BBS Signature

Response to Pico Day Art Contest: Discussion 2008-03-27 01:13:45

At 3/27/08 12:42 AM, danomano65 wrote:
At 3/27/08 12:37 AM, Poopoothegorilla wrote: what do people think of my tankmen.. i feel like something is wrong cant put my finger on it!
do comment
Hahaha i like the joke. This is what i've done since i watched South Park. Kinda delayed things.

dude, you should totally keep him w/o arms. make anothe rguy that has arms. the guy w/o arms gave this image SO much character

Response to Pico Day Art Contest: Discussion 2008-03-27 01:16:30

At 3/27/08 01:13 AM, BlasterMaster wrote: dude, you should totally keep him w/o arms. make anothe rguy that has arms. the guy w/o arms gave this image SO much character

but i like the gun!

Response to Pico Day Art Contest: Discussion 2008-03-27 01:34:26

done!! yay!! now imma start on the others... (btw, i dont like smoke...)

Response to Pico Day Art Contest: Discussion 2008-03-27 01:43:24

At 3/27/08 01:34 AM, reality-monkey wrote: done!! yay!! now imma start on the others... (btw, i dont like smoke...)

that looks great man

Response to Pico Day Art Contest: Discussion 2008-03-27 01:49:55

Getting there.