00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

MagDeWarrior just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Art Contest: Pico Day 08

93,638 Views | 326 Replies

Response to Art Contest: Pico Day 08 2008-05-04 23:16:54

I actually think that the winning entries deserved it, they were the entries that rather than just looking good, actively tried to create a workable new design for the characters, which after all, was what the contest was about. The exception being the tankmen winner, but really it was to awesome not to win. I think I would really be more disappointed if I had won, because I know my entry was not the best. All in all a fun contest all around, and I look forward to next year's.

Freedom of Speech: Priceless, for everything else there's MasterCard

BBS Signature

Response to Art Contest: Pico Day 08 2008-05-04 23:42:00

At 5/4/08 09:43 PM, Luis wrote:
At 5/4/08 07:40 PM, BlasterMaster wrote: btw, I feel bad for occluded too, you guys screwed him so bad. bullshit man, his picture is SO GOOD. so much better than the one that won for the M-bot. It wasn't even finished
I'll paypal you 10 dollars and buy you a beer!

That's an expensive beer!! Oh well.

anyways, I am not really that bitter about the results, its all good.

I agree that you should hold some more art contests, they are good fun...maybe just have a wider variety of judges next time.

I hope I can make it to the comic con in New York in June. If I do, I will come shake ur hand and then u can buy me a beer

Response to Art Contest: Pico Day 08 2008-05-04 23:46:21

At 5/4/08 11:42 PM, BlasterMaster wrote:
At 5/4/08 09:43 PM, Luis wrote:
At 5/4/08 07:40 PM, BlasterMaster wrote:
I hope I can make it to the comic con in New York in June. If I do, I will come shake ur hand and then u can buy me a beer

lol ok deal.

I think next time i'll have a peoples choice winner. That way if anything there will be one slot who wins based on who the majority feels strongly about. I still think that theres just no way to have a judging process without steppin on toes, o well. Anyway i'll tweak contests as i continue to run em, we'll get it right one of these times.

None

BBS Signature

Response to Art Contest: Pico Day 08 2008-05-05 00:10:58

After every contest I sit down grab some food and drink and enjoy reading all the rants :D
thats for the mild entertainment guys!

Response to Art Contest: Pico Day 08 2008-05-05 00:26:17

It sucks to be the person holding a contest, I guess. In the first place, you can't win! Second, you have to give out prizes. Last, people will always be mad at you when the results come out!
Good job Luis!

BBS Signature

Response to Art Contest: Pico Day 08 2008-05-05 02:01:06

well ain't this a bitch. I didn't even get to finish any of mine, but for the lulz I'll post them all when I'm finished.

Response to Art Contest: Pico Day 08 2008-05-05 02:14:37

Since nathanielmilburn graciously gave up his honorable mention, i slid his prize to the entry that was left on the bubble. A-bot by Occluded.

I added the change to the winners page!

None

BBS Signature

Response to Art Contest: Pico Day 08 2008-05-05 02:41:31

No penicorns for me. Oh well. I don't regret my submission. Congratulations to the winners.
I am surprised that deadspread83's peice wasn't mentioned in the least bit. He had an awesome pico submission.

Response to Art Contest: Pico Day 08 2008-05-05 02:59:39

I feel really dumb because I didn't even spend that much time redesigning the characters, and spent endless hours doing other doodles. Hmm, I didn't really read over the first post i suppose, and just went overboard on a personal project, experimenting with random crap. I realized what the objective was when I saw the winners, suddenly it clicked that i was supposed to redesign them awesomely.. duhhh. Well, either way, I never get stuff finished unless I had a deadline... and that thing literally never would have been completed unless I had the deadline riding my ass. So all in all, I'm rather happy, I just laugh at myself for seeing this as an excuse to color endlessly for hours. All my characters looked so shitty hahaha, I made them shitty on purpose; not even realizing. Yes it's 2 am and I've been out and just stopped by to check on things, so I will end this wall of text that will (and should) be ignored, and talk about something better.

Actually scratch that I'm way too tired and will just do it tomorrow, but I felt rather silly and felt like crapping out some late night text when I realized what I had done B-)

sinister i understand why you said what you said now ;)
ps i hope this doesn't come out like i'm jealous because I didn't win, because i honestly didn't expect to win, i just wanted to have fun. especially realizing the theme only now; hgghghgh;; i'm going to bed i'm a little confuzzled. promise a better post in the mornin'

⌬ blobstagram ⌬ blobsite ⌬

BBS Signature

Response to Art Contest: Pico Day 08 2008-05-05 10:47:18

The first one is pretty great. Reminds me of a nickelodeon style, but with matt Groening teeth. The teeth work really well on Nene. Simple style, yet nice and crisp. Darnell just looks too cool for school.

Kardinal had a lot of great entries, he was great at design, and this M-Bot was no exception. He looks like a bad ass ready to enforce the laws as he hauls ass around. Great work :)

Tankmen were pretty good, very serious, and very dirty. The attention to detail is what made this one so great... that and the cum everywhere ;P

The Dad n' Me one is pretty awesome... Quite a different feel than the big purple monster, but still awesome. Everything about this picture just fits the mood.

Frogcommando's pico and friends were pretty good... a very unique, sleek style... nice and shiny. Pico looks too happy though :P

Catoblepas chose that route, eh? Well, his submission made me smile before, some great work. Nothing racist here <3

1930's Pico just makes music play in my head, I can see him walking down the sidewalk now... pretty great!

ShirtTurtle's was pretty cute, as most of his stuff is... is that a bag of weed pico has in his hands? Could explain the background ;P The noses are a bit odd, but the picture still looks great. Put those big pouty lips away, Darnell!

Nathaniel's was great, as was all of his entries. Seems to have a gauge in his ear... and for some reason no hands. They almost look like they are oozing delicious red candy! A big schlong is only natural to go with this pic, nice ;)

reality-monkey's dad was pretty cool. Quite the bad ass, I kinda wish it had outlines, but that would totally go against the style, I know... Either way, it's pretty sleek, great muscle structure.

How nice of nathaniel to pass... occluded's A-Bot was pretty interesting. He took quite a while working on it as I recall... but who can argue with those results? Looks almost real ;P I really like how he did her hair, great work :)

Some great character redesigns here! I sure had fun this year, although next time I will need to read between the lines before diving in head first, although I'm kinda glad I did... I wouldn't have won even if I tried to redesign them, my styles aren't that awesome ;P Was a great pico day, great submissions of every medium :3

⌬ blobstagram ⌬ blobsite ⌬

BBS Signature

Response to Art Contest: Pico Day 08 2008-05-05 14:23:34

At 5/5/08 02:59 AM, BlueHippo wrote: I feel really dumb because I didn't even spend that much time redesigning the characters, and spent endless hours doing other doodles. Hmm, I didn't really read over the first post i suppose, and just went overboard on a personal project, experimenting with random crap. I realized what the objective was when I saw the winners, suddenly it clicked that i was supposed to redesign them awesomely.. duhhh. Well, either way, I never get stuff finished unless I had a deadline... and that thing literally never would have been completed unless I had the deadline riding my ass. So all in all, I'm rather happy, I just laugh at myself for seeing this as an excuse to color endlessly for hours. All my characters looked so shitty hahaha, I made them shitty on purpose; not even realizing. Yes it's 2 am and I've been out and just stopped by to check on things, so I will end this wall of text that will (and should) be ignored, and talk about something better.

I for one understand how you feel Blue Hippo. I've already mentioned in your newspost that you got a zany style. With all those twist and turns, you've probably could make for yet another flash project and still have room left over for some new techniques. I've learned a bit more on my handle in drawing, and I'm guessing you've as well. For me, a instinct of mine took over to draw up P-bot in my own style and I actually spend half the time on the environment as the character. But then, I reread the title post about Redesign the character and then began to question myself... "Wait a minute, Wasn't I suppose to redesigned the character!?". Haha, I too enjoyed experimenting and was fun and worthwhile.

I for one am glad Occluded got a honorable mentioned, he and few artists (Zekey i.e.) actually "redesigned" the characters in a way, fanart couldn't be extinguished. Of course, theres loads of great art submissions, and I throughly enjoyed the outcome of this competition. Again, a great job to you guys.

NG Review Moderator // Report Today!

BBS Signature

Response to Art Contest: Pico Day 08 2008-05-05 16:45:31

awesome you put mine in the sample gallery! It's like I'm not a winner, but I'm not a loser either!

MAGIC SEXY WIZARD

SOUNDCLOUD|FACEBOOK|TWITTER|

MAGIC SEXY WIZARD IS RELEASING A MIXTAPE FEBRUARY ENTITLED "HIGH KING KUNG FU GOD"

BBS Signature

Response to Art Contest: Pico Day 08 2008-05-05 18:23:07

At 5/5/08 04:45 PM, peanutbutterclawk wrote: awesome you put mine in the sample gallery! It's like I'm not a winner, but I'm not a loser either!

actually i loved your nene holding a bible that was awesome ... reminded me of perfect murder.. a movie i hold near and dear to my internet heart.

None

BBS Signature

Response to Art Contest: Pico Day 08 2008-05-05 18:53:45

im an honorable mention? i feel... um... honored. haha. i especially like the blue sash. makes me feel important. like i just won a pageant or something.

just like to say that was was fun. i, personally, just enjoy art contests. and the opportunity to play with newgrounds characters? just too good to be true.

although i still want my awesome angry face keychain. lol. how do i get it?

Response to Art Contest: Pico Day 08 2008-05-05 18:54:59

At 5/5/08 02:41 AM, Limited3dition wrote: No penicorns for me. Oh well. I don't regret my submission. Congratulations to the winners.
I am surprised that deadspread83's peice wasn't mentioned in the least bit. He had an awesome pico submission.

That's very kind of you. My submission wasn't the right size though. It came down to if I wanted to change the whole thing just to make it fit, and I decided I'd just stick to what I thought looked best. I'm glad you liked it!

BBS Signature

Response to Art Contest: Pico Day 08 2008-05-05 23:29:39

At 5/5/08 06:53 PM, frogcommando wrote: im an honorable mention? i feel... um... honored. haha. i especially like the blue sash. makes me feel important. like i just won a pageant or something.

just like to say that was was fun. i, personally, just enjoy art contests. and the opportunity to play with newgrounds characters? just too good to be true.

although i still want my awesome angry face keychain. lol. how do i get it?

Send me a PM with the address that you would like me to mail it to .... Also for anyone that won you have until this weekend to send me a PM and claim your prize, im going out of town next week and dont want this looming over my head. If i dont hear from you by sunday you've forfeited your prize!

None

BBS Signature

Response to Art Contest: Pico Day 08 2008-05-06 02:24:15

At 5/5/08 11:29 PM, Luis wrote:
At 5/5/08 06:53 PM, frogcommando wrote: im an honorable mention? i feel... um... honored. haha. i especially like the blue sash. makes me feel important. like i just won a pageant or something.

BRAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Im drunk. happy cinco de Mayo.

sort of. ....its actually tuesday now

Response to Art Contest: Pico Day 08 2008-05-06 08:55:12

Ok I seem to have gotten a PM from everyone except ElMagico.. if you run into him, let him know he won somethin!

None

BBS Signature

Response to Art Contest: Pico Day 08 2008-05-06 15:35:15

At 5/5/08 11:29 PM, Luis wrote: Also for anyone that won you have until this weekend to send me a PM and claim your prize. If i dont hear from you by sunday you've forfeited your prize!

My I have it? :P

lol, sloppy seconds

BBS Signature

Response to Art Contest: Pico Day 08 2008-05-08 16:33:34

I've mailed out everything today.. you should be getting it sooon .. whomever won anyway. damn you international users... 40 bucks to ship to argentina.. the shipping costs more than the prizes inside lmao

None

BBS Signature

Response to Art Contest: Pico Day 08 2008-06-14 00:06:50

Last Minute Entry Nothing Special Just To Canvas Paintings I Did A Few Months Ago

Federation Of Russia

BBS Signature

Response to Art Contest: Pico Day 08 2008-06-14 00:07:55

And My Second One

Federation Of Russia

BBS Signature

Response to Art Contest: Pico Day 08 2008-06-14 00:24:25

At 6/14/08 12:07 AM, Labusch wrote: And My Second One

Oh god. Please. Read once in a while.

BBS Signature

Response to Art Contest: Pico Day 08 2008-06-14 12:31:32

At 6/14/08 12:24 AM, SpencerMann wrote:
At 6/14/08 12:07 AM, Labusch wrote: And My Second One
Oh god. Please. Read once in a while.

lol fashionably late?

None

BBS Signature

Response to Art Contest: Pico Day 08 2008-06-17 20:08:41

At 3/15/08 03:29 AM, ZekeySpaceyLizard wrote: Saturday Morning Cartoon Style

That... Um, sorta looks kinda creepy to me.

Response to Art Contest: Pico Day 08 2008-06-17 20:27:09

At 6/17/08 08:08 PM, katman252016 wrote:
At 3/15/08 03:29 AM, ZekeySpaceyLizard wrote: Saturday Morning Cartoon Style
That... Um, sorta looks kinda creepy to me.

D'ya think we should lock these threads after a while?

Response to Art Contest: Pico Day 08 2008-08-07 14:29:00

You're right this should be Locked by now.