00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

mariobros22 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

HandsomeJake's Art Thread

22,361 Views | 145 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

HandsomeJake's Art Thread 2008-03-13 10:39:03

I figured I'd start one of these. Easy way to raise awareness of my graphic design. I'll start off by posting a new thing I had to do for class. Easy enough. It's actually the first thing I've made for class that I actually like. I'd love to hear some feedback. I'll continue to post more of my art here, as long as I don't cry too hard from your harsh words.

Here's a link to a high res version.

Response to HandsomeJake's Art Thread 2008-03-13 10:45:16

Looks pretty good! I like the oldskool background texture, flows in nicely with the blue. Real stylish :P

The latest: Hexa #96 (Apr)

BBS Signature

Response to HandsomeJake's Art Thread 2008-03-13 10:48:15

At 3/13/08 10:39 AM, HandsomeJake wrote: I figured I'd start one of these. Easy way to raise awareness of my graphic design. I'll start off by posting a new thing I had to do for class. Easy enough. It's actually the first thing I've made for class that I actually like. I'd love to hear some feedback. I'll continue to post more of my art here, as long as I don't cry too hard from your harsh words.

Here's a link to a high res version.

Did you actualy do anything besides change the colour of the picture? Just looks like fancy filters with a "cork" texture in the background.

Maybe i'm wrong so let me know , but if you just got images and changed them, this isn't really your work.

BBS Signature

Response to HandsomeJake's Art Thread 2008-03-13 10:55:23

At 3/13/08 10:48 AM, Darkaxl wrote: Did you actualy do anything besides change the colour of the picture? Just looks like fancy filters with a "cork" texture in the background.

Maybe i'm wrong so let me know , but if you just got images and changed them, this isn't really your work.

well, that's what plenty of graphic designers do. The project is a collage. I kinda specialize in them. Though I have put my own handdrawn art into a piece before.

I also kinda take offense to the fact that you say my work isn't reaslly mine. Eduardo Recife mostly uses other peoples images, changes them around, and turns them into beautiful things. I took the effort to collect all of these images (all legally obtained for non-commercial use) and arranged them into their own body. I'm not saying it's good, but I am saying it's mine.

Response to HandsomeJake's Art Thread 2008-03-13 11:17:34

Here's a shirt design I made. It's apparently being sold now at Ryan Dunn's store. Here's a link. It's actually pretty big bullshit. I gave this guy my design to help him out with his shirt company. I saw he was selling them to Random Hero, and asked if I could recieve any of those profits. The asshole never even responded. I know I shouldn't have given it to him for free, but I was just so pumped to see my work actually get printed.

If you don't believe me, I've got the psd. It's at my folks house and I don't have it on the internet anywhere.

Oh here's a link to the guy who doesn't respond to my messages's MySpace store: Berlin Co.

Response to HandsomeJake's Art Thread 2008-03-13 12:25:37

Jake, sue him.
Brilliant work like that should not be stolen.

Response to HandsomeJake's Art Thread 2008-03-13 13:04:48

Here's a shirt I did for the band seeking surreal. I haven't gotten to see it printed yet, but I can't wait. I really like this piece. Funny note though, the band asked me to cut off the shadow under the guys nose. They said it looked too much like Hitler.

Here's a link to a higher res version.

Response to HandsomeJake's Art Thread 2008-03-13 14:14:55

At 3/13/08 01:04 PM, HandsomeJake wrote: Here's a shirt I did for the band seeking surreal. I haven't gotten to see it printed yet, but I can't wait. I really like this piece. Funny note though, the band asked me to cut off the shadow under the guys nose. They said it looked too much like Hitler.

They were right, I thought it was Hitler at first.

Response to HandsomeJake's Art Thread 2008-03-13 14:36:21

This is a shirt I made for Eleventh Hour Co. As you can tell by the first page of their site, it went over with them pretty smashingly. I believe they're still having a sale for 50% off and free shipping. Here are the details.

I'm supposed to get some royalties for this, so help a brotha out!

Or just appreciate the art.

I'm happy either way

Response to HandsomeJake's Art Thread 2008-03-13 18:25:36

Here's a flyer I made for one of the most amazing shows I ever attended/played. All the bands on this flyer you should check out. They're all on MySpace and range from things like the Dismemberment Plan to bitchin' hardcore (more like the 80s, not so metal).

Mine was Gentlemen Congressional, we're dead now though.

Nessy's a dick

Here's a higher res version.

Response to HandsomeJake's Art Thread 2008-03-14 00:45:38

At 3/13/08 06:31 PM, Ansel wrote: Yeah, I thought it was hitler :/

These all look super professional. I'd expect to see them on a shirt, and it's cool that you're getting to do business for your pictures.

I don't know if you think I took these photos, but they are stock.

Anyways, yeah, I don't think there are many people on NG who do this kind of collage-esque stuff. They seem mostly like purists who only draw their own graphics. Which is awesome by me. I just wonder if anyone else does this.

Oh, and all these pics are taken legally, which I repeat. I make sure that everything I use has no strings attatched. Getting sued is for the birds, kids.

Response to HandsomeJake's Art Thread 2008-03-14 11:41:03

Here's a shirt I made for my good buddies outclassed (I live with one of them). Any ways, I took some inspiration from one of their guitarists ("I think windmills are really cool"), and the others didn't share his sentiment, so no go on getting this one printed. It was still fun though and I still like it.

Here's a higher res version!

Response to HandsomeJake's Art Thread 2008-03-14 23:23:53

Sick designs n stuff man. Eager to see more.
cough*Flowers*cough
Who is your all-time favourite artist?

shh

BBS Signature

Response to HandsomeJake's Art Thread 2008-03-15 01:28:15

Jake man your stuff is great and I hope you keep it coming im gonna try to heklp you keep this thread alive, visit mine man it's call Sketch Book (just search my name) it's alot of black and white stuff it's what I do. WHERE IS MY BANNER LOL. Good shit keep it up

You already know what it's about when I run up in your house, put the gun up in your mouth nd get the money out the couch....

BBS Signature

Response to HandsomeJake's Art Thread 2008-03-15 11:53:55

At 3/14/08 11:23 PM, Ropedgag12345 wrote: Sick designs n stuff man. Eager to see more.
cough*Flowers*cough
Who is your all-time favourite artist?

Well, like I said earlier, Recife does some pretty sick shit. I really don't have artists I like, though, just art that I like. I think people get too attached to names and it hurts their critiques. I do that with music, and it sucks.

MindChamber is pretty awesome though. And Luis. I've been involved a lot with NG lately, so those artists come to mind easily.

Response to HandsomeJake's Art Thread 2008-03-18 20:05:47

Another one made for EH co. They said they didn't wanna use their own name too much. Check it.

Response to HandsomeJake's Art Thread 2008-03-24 11:35:21

Here's a shirt I did for this metal band. I designed their CD too, but that's not worth posting. If you're really curious, it's on their music player as the album pic.

Response to HandsomeJake's Art Thread 2008-03-24 12:25:25

Clean. Everything looks really nice. That Berlin co. design is really nice, too bad about that asshole though.

Doors. You'll know when they're appropriate.

dA

BBS Signature

Response to HandsomeJake's Art Thread 2008-03-25 00:52:05

At 3/24/08 12:25 PM, Maxxor wrote: Clean. Everything looks really nice. That Berlin co. design is really nice, too bad about that asshole though.

Well thanks. Don't worry about him though. Shit happens.

And Cabbster, glad you found a band you like today.

I don't think I share your sentiment

Response to HandsomeJake's Art Thread 2008-03-26 09:59:52

Here's one I drew for my old band's cd, "Haunted Metropolis." I liked the simplicity of it, but some might say it's not enough. I figure it should go here either way though.

Here's a little higher res.

Response to HandsomeJake's Art Thread 2008-03-26 14:13:15

Here's a flyer I made for Outclassed (again) and Bearathon and their summer tour last year. Too bad they didn't get used (they got vomitted on).

Here's a bigger one.

Response to HandsomeJake's Art Thread 2008-03-27 15:35:17

This here's a cd cover I made for this band. I think I should say that YES I will make metal things, but I also love to do not metal design. Get it? Good.

Higher and Higher!

Response to HandsomeJake's Art Thread 2008-03-27 16:38:14

At 3/27/08 04:17 PM, StickyWicky wrote: You need to be making album covers for bands.

Do mine when we're ready :3

can you afford me? ;)

Response to HandsomeJake's Art Thread 2008-03-27 16:40:55

i like them alot.

they have a proffesional, and trippy feel.

WHERE'S THE DIX?

Response to HandsomeJake's Art Thread 2008-03-31 02:07:37

I made this as a top banner for this band's myspace. they took it down I guess. Their banner is still made by me though.

Here's what you really want.

Once again, if you're interested in having some graphics work done, message me here.

Response to HandsomeJake's Art Thread 2008-03-31 04:12:33

At 3/24/08 11:35 AM, HandsomeJake wrote: Here's a shirt I did for this metal band. I designed their CD too, but that's not worth posting. If you're really curious, it's on their music player as the album pic.

This one is my favorite so far. Totally digging the design. I would wear that shirt for sure. Your work is really nice. I like most of it. It is really clean and professional looking.

Evil spelled backwards is Live and we all want to do that now don't we.

Deny the big lie, don't beLIEve and don't conform.

BBS Signature

Response to HandsomeJake's Art Thread 2008-04-03 14:28:41

I've attempted to create a new logo for my design thingy. Please let me know what you think on this one!

Response to HandsomeJake's Art Thread 2008-04-03 14:42:44

You make awesome stuff

BBS Signature

Response to HandsomeJake's Art Thread 2008-04-03 15:17:16

At 4/3/08 02:42 PM, Pythaxx wrote: You make awesome stuff

thanks a lot! But does anyone have an opinion on the logo I just posted?

Response to HandsomeJake's Art Thread 2008-07-03 16:01:22

'Nother shirt for Seeking Surreal. Pop art colors!!!