New Topic Respond to this Topic
aviewaskewed
aviewaskewed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Blank Slate
Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club Sep. 28th, 2012 @ 03:58 AM Reply

At 9/27/12 01:19 PM, SG3 wrote: "According to my headcanon, that never happened."

Yeah, I think that's a fair statement. One of the biggest problems with the idea of continuity is that it's really gone on past the point it was ever intended to. I mean...do you REALLY think Stan Lee foresaw the Marvel Universe and the books he was doing in the 60's going past his tenure as writer/editor? Because I'm sure Stan will tell you now he always did...and I'm gonna respectfully call bullshit. Because up to that point comics was far too cyclical and I imagine most people saw the 60's super hero boom as something finite and just a cycle of genre that had come round again...and would be gone within the next 5 to 10 years like it had been prior.

The idea that a cohesive universe can be done with multiple writers, artists, editors, etc. is...well...ludicrous. It really is....and this has been proven by every company that has tried it that isn't Marvel or DC with those decades of good will and brand recognition behind them to bolster the endeavor.

You don't have to pass an IQ test to be in the senate. --Mark Pryor, Senator
The Endless Crew: Comics and general wackiness. Join us or die.
PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature
SG3
SG3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club Oct. 16th, 2012 @ 12:48 PM Reply

I started collecting the Invincible TPBs, because I finally caught up to the latest issue a few weeks back. I got volume 1,3 and 14. Those were probably the most compelling, and story-driving. The Invincible War was pretty entertaining, though.

I also read The Astounding Wolf-Man, also by Robert Kirkman, which was pretty sweet. Zecheriah was awesome. Who says vampires aren't cool?

aviewaskewed
aviewaskewed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Blank Slate
Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club Oct. 16th, 2012 @ 04:41 PM Reply

At 10/16/12 12:48 PM, SG3 wrote: Who says vampires aren't cool?

People who want my boot up their ass...

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature
Pride
Pride
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club Oct. 20th, 2012 @ 02:32 AM Reply

I just won issues 2 and 3 of "Walking Dead" in an online auction (specifically from "My Comic Shop.com")! They seem to be in mint condition and I can't wait to read those bad boys.

Man, I've really been getting into that series ever since I found someone who uploaded all the comic books onto Youtube. I haven't watched the show as of yet, but I am told that it is pretty awesome as well. I'm probably gonna try and collect the whole series, except for issue 1# because it's insanely expensive (though it may devalue in a few years). Hopefully though Kirkman doesn't kill off Rick too soon, I heard rumors he was planning on killing him to make it more realistic.

Also: Anyone else into the "Walking Dead" or have any theories about what is going to go down as Rick fights the "Saviors"?

SG3
SG3
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club Oct. 20th, 2012 @ 04:46 AM Reply

At 10/20/12 02:32 AM, Pride wrote: I just won issues 2 and 3 of "Walking Dead" in an online auction (specifically from "My Comic Shop.com")! They seem to be in mint condition and I can't wait to read those bad boys.

Man, I've really been getting into that series ever since I found someone who uploaded all the comic books onto Youtube. I haven't watched the show as of yet, but I am told that it is pretty awesome as well. I'm probably gonna try and collect the whole series, except for issue 1# because it's insanely expensive (though it may devalue in a few years). Hopefully though Kirkman doesn't kill off Rick too soon, I heard rumors he was planning on killing him to make it more realistic.

Also: Anyone else into the "Walking Dead" or have any theories about what is going to go down as Rick fights the "Saviors"?

Tony Moore's artwork was SOOOO good!

To be honest, I sort of stopped reading after (spoilers) Carl got shot in the face in graphic detail and then miraculously survived. It looked like such a bold move, and then they just copped out which really bugged me. At least when he did the with Atom-Eve in Invincible, he came up with a semi-plausible excuse. Plus, killing Carl would motivate a complete personality change in Rick, which would be interesting to see unfold. He wouldn't have reason to stay in the commune (he often talks about how he only sticks around to help because of Carl, and previously Lori), so we could see a split narrative between the group there and Rick in the wasteland, which would expand the storyline without making all the effort they went towards making the estate zombie-proof redundant. That's something that started to annoy me a little: Rick & co find a shelter, spend ages cultivating said shelter, complications cause the shelter to become overrun. Rinse and repeat.

These are probably just personal gripes, and might come back to it at some point, but that really did annoy me when it happened.

Anyway, cool find dude.

TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club Jan. 5th, 2013 @ 01:08 PM Reply

So I've been reading some current series rather than just reading stuff from at least a decade ago as I'd always done before, and thought I'd bump this in the hopes of some recommendations for current series worth looking into.

I adored Demon Knights and the new Swamp Thing run, and thought Snyder's Batman was okay. As much as I heard people complain about the New 52 it seems to be perfect for me, since I have a rough idea of who all these characters are but little to no knowledge of the continuity.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
LiquidFire
LiquidFire
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 44
Reader
Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club Jan. 5th, 2013 @ 04:25 PM Reply

Would anyone recommend suicide squad in the new 52 series?
I've been kind of interested in it since Harley Quinn is in that series, but I'm not really into buying them if they suck.

It's only fun if you get a scar out of it
Find me on the internet / TF2 Crew / NG Trophy Leaderboard / NG User Icon Makers / NG GM Scripts

BBS Signature
aviewaskewed
aviewaskewed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Blank Slate
Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club Jan. 8th, 2013 @ 01:51 AM Reply

At 1/5/13 01:08 PM, TheMaster wrote: So I've been reading some current series rather than just reading stuff from at least a decade ago as I'd always done before, and thought I'd bump this in the hopes of some recommendations for current series worth looking into.

The recently concluded Uncanny X-Force was a monthly treat for me for the last two years and has confirmed for me that ANYTHING Rick Remender does is worth a look from me. On the DC side I've also really liked Demon Knights, and I do like Earth-2 a lot (though James Robinson will never do anything as amazing as Starman again. That's the problem with writing a magnum opus so early on in your career), World's Finest is usually "ok" to "good" but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't reading it mostly because it's a companion to Earth-2. I like the relaunch of Thunderbolts so far (probably because it's basically Uncanny X-Force without the moral ramifications thus far), and I'm willing to give Dark Avengers a shot (continues the plot from the prior book which I dug) and I'm planning to give Morbius a try as well (love me some Morbius)

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature
aviewaskewed
aviewaskewed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Blank Slate
Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club Jan. 8th, 2013 @ 01:52 AM Reply

At 1/5/13 04:25 PM, LiquidFire wrote: Would anyone recommend suicide squad in the new 52 series?
I've been kind of interested in it since Harley Quinn is in that series, but I'm not really into buying them if they suck.

I read it for awhile, it was decent, but when I missed a couple issues I dropped it based on not being able to justify paying a markup from ebay or somewhere to get the back issues I missed. Take that for what you will. Maybe try the first trade.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club Feb. 10th, 2013 @ 03:44 AM Reply

Any Batman: The Brave and the Bold and/or Young Justice fans out there? I recently started watching both shows and I've found them to be awesome. It's really getting me interested in DC comics and its characters.

Also, whatcha dudes been reading recently?

Sig by Some Guy - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club May. 30th, 2013 @ 09:19 AM Reply

Looking for some advice and thought I'd bump this thread, since it seems like a relevant place to ask.

With Marvel Now! and DC's New 52 making comics feel a bit more accessible to new readers I decided to order some comics. I got a little bundle of 5 really cheap Marvel Now comics just to see if I'd enjoy them:

Guardians of the Galaxy #0.1
Cable and XForce #1, 2
X-Men Legacy #1, 2

I'm completely new to comics and know nothing about the Marvel or DC universes, which is why Now! and New 52 are appealing, since I've been wanting to give comics a chance for a while.

Do any of you guys have recommendations of which comics I should look into? I'm hoping to find some that don't have too many issues out yet. Guardians of the Galaxy only has few (3 I think) and I like the concept so I'm interested in it. Cable and XForce seems to have a few more issues out, so I'm considering sticking with it too, just means having to get all the issues I've missed out on first. I've still to try X-Men Legacy, so I can't really comment on it yet.

The seller also threw in a bonus issue. It's a cover variant of A Game of Thrones #6 which is currently selling on eBay for at least double what I paid for this pack of 5 comics, so I might just sell it off to fund a few more issues of whatever set I get into.

I know this place isn't all that active, but I figured I'd give it a bump anyway.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Gamer
Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club Jun. 4th, 2013 @ 06:38 PM Reply

No replies since my previous post but I figured I'd make another attempt at getting some discussion going.

So like I mentioned last time, I'm totally new to the world of comic books. I'm up to date with the new Guardians of the Galaxy run and I have to say, of the three Marvel Now! runs I've been reading, this is my favourite. I know it's only on issue 2 right now but I just love it. Definitely going to be sticking with this.

I'm not up to date with Cable and X-Force but I do have copies of every issue released so far. I'll be moving onto issue 6 next. Feels a bit slower and less impressive than Guardians of the Galaxy so far, but I hear it's meant to pick up a bit now that the first story arc is over. Again, I've been enjoying it and I'll stick with this for the time being.

Lastly I've been reading X-Men Legacy and I'm definitely not up to date with this one. Only read the first 2 issues and I think 11 was the latest issue to be released? However, definitely like the concept of this. I'm not really familiar with any characters from the Marvel universe, but Legion seems like a pretty interesting character to centre a story on. I think it's pretty interesting how the story switches between what's going on with Legion and what's going on inside Legion's mind. Definitely want to get more issues of this as well, but I've bought a fair few comic books recently so I'm going to hold off for a little while before I bring myself up to date with this one too.

So yea, initial impression of Marvel (and comic books in genera) is pretty great. I can see this being something I stick with from now on.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
TheMaster
TheMaster
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club Jun. 4th, 2013 @ 06:51 PM Reply

New 52 is also what got me reading ongoing series. Had only read self-contained stuff before.

I haven't tried a ton of it, but I read the first couple of arcs of Batman, up to the end of Death of the Family. It was okay, but didn't hook me and I never bothered sticking with it after that was finished.

Superheroes being superheroes has never really interested me. The books I've enjoyed have always been ones that play with the format a bit. The Dark Knight Returns or Kingdom Come, stuff like that. Maybe I just like old superheroes.

Currently reading Swamp Thing, Demon Knights and Animal Man, and enjoying all three. I'm not entirely up to date with any of them because I like to build up a couple of issues to read at once rather than just one a month, but as it stands Demon Knights is probably my favourite. I was really enjoying Swamp Thing earlier on but felt that arc started to drag at the end, so looking forward to seeing what they do now that it's over.

PSN: Absurd-Ditties | Steam | Letterboxd

BBS Signature
Darthdenim
Darthdenim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club Jun. 13th, 2013 @ 11:13 PM Reply

The first issue of Six Gun Gorilla arrived today.

Gonna read it soon. Hope it's good.

The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club

aviewaskewed
aviewaskewed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Blank Slate
Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club Jun. 15th, 2013 @ 01:19 AM Reply

At 5/30/13 09:19 AM, Dean wrote: Looking for some advice and thought I'd bump this thread, since it seems like a relevant place to ask.

The Endless Crew: We know comics and shit.

With Marvel Now! and DC's New 52 making comics feel a bit more accessible to new readers I decided to order some comics. I got a little bundle of 5 really cheap Marvel Now comics just to see if I'd enjoy them:

Ok.

Guardians of the Galaxy #0.1

Have not read it.

Cable and XForce #1, 2

I think that's where I jumped off. I've never been a Cable or X-Force guy because I remember the 90's when it was just another symptom of drawing super people ridiculously huge with guns coming from everywhere and violence being called "hard justice" or some such. I think Marvel rebooted him decently and the lineup was interesting but it feels too much like it's written for the trade and I don't tolerate that unless the stuff is super good.

X-Men Legacy #1, 2

Another I have not read.

I'm completely new to comics and know nothing about the Marvel or DC universes, which is why Now! and New 52 are appealing, since I've been wanting to give comics a chance for a while.

Then those initiatives are doing they're job insofar as getting you to sample the product. Time will tell if it's going to keep you hooked or not.

Do any of you guys have recommendations of which comics I should look into?

Let's see, got a ton of old collections you can try, but if you're saying "stuff I can go to the comic store and pick up each wednesday" then I've got you kind of covered there too. I've really enjoyed James Robinson's Earth-2, a really good slow simmer with some great world building and I'm enjoying his characterizations, shame DC forced him out with shitty editorial. I've also been digging Phantom Stranger. Demon Knights has been a fun "swords and sorcery" medievil period book, might be getting cancelled though. I've liked Dial H, which is definitely getting cancelled but I recommend picking up the trades when it finishes. The relaunched Thunderbolts has been a dark little fun trip. I think that's about it for my monthlies at present.

I'm hoping to find some that don't have too many issues out yet. Guardians of the Galaxy only has few (3 I think) and I like the concept so I'm interested in it. Cable and XForce seems to have a few more issues out, so I'm considering sticking with it too, just means having to get all the issues I've missed out on first. I've still to try X-Men Legacy, so I can't really comment on it yet.

If you have a decent retailer, they may have back issues you can buy, where do you live? Maybe we can hook you up with the comic shop locator and find you a store. If that fails, you can get reasonably priced ebay back issues.

The seller also threw in a bonus issue. It's a cover variant of A Game of Thrones #6 which is currently selling on eBay for at least double what I paid for this pack of 5 comics, so I might just sell it off to fund a few more issues of whatever set I get into.

Good idea, from what I hear if you've read the book, or watched the show, there's nothing new for you now, so sell it while it's hot if you're going to I'd say.

I know this place isn't all that active, but I figured I'd give it a bump anyway.

Sure, I try to pay attention to it, but it does seem hard to keep people around. I try to check it every day as long as it's bumped.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature
darkjam
darkjam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club Jun. 18th, 2013 @ 11:46 AM Reply

I've joined bitches! Anyway, who's read those Superior Spiderman comics? I heard Doc Oc is Spidey.

It's hip to be square, but it's hipper to be torus! // You shall watch and you shall like.

BBS Signature
aviewaskewed
aviewaskewed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Blank Slate
Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club Jun. 18th, 2013 @ 06:14 PM Reply

At 6/18/13 11:46 AM, darkjam wrote: I've joined bitches! Anyway, who's read those Superior Spiderman comics? I heard Doc Oc is Spidey.

I read one issue, was pretty good, but I have a hard time believing the direction of Doc Ock in Peter's body (with Peter like a disembodied conscience) is sticking around past the next movie.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature
Darthdenim
Darthdenim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club Jun. 18th, 2013 @ 08:02 PM Reply

Today I got Pacific Rim: Tales from Year Zero.

The official graphic novel prequel to the movie.

The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club

aviewaskewed
aviewaskewed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Blank Slate
Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club Jun. 18th, 2013 @ 09:27 PM Reply

At 6/18/13 08:02 PM, Darthdenim wrote: Today I got Pacific Rim: Tales from Year Zero.

The official graphic novel prequel to the movie.

Might have to check that out, the movie looks like it could be my kind of fun.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature
darkjam
darkjam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club Jun. 19th, 2013 @ 06:22 PM Reply

I read one issue, was pretty good, but I have a hard time believing the direction of Doc Ock in Peter's body (with Peter like a disembodied conscience) is sticking around past the next movie.

He's in Peter's body?! I thought Peter died, and Doc Ock was just in a spidey suit with his tentacles. Not actually in his body!

It's hip to be square, but it's hipper to be torus! // You shall watch and you shall like.

BBS Signature
aviewaskewed
aviewaskewed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Blank Slate
Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club Jun. 24th, 2013 @ 03:54 AM Reply

At 6/19/13 06:22 PM, darkjam wrote: He's in Peter's body?! I thought Peter died, and Doc Ock was just in a spidey suit with his tentacles. Not actually in his body!

Silly boy, if Peter outright died, it's much harder to bring him back when the sales slip or they hit the end of this experiment. No matter which, it ends the same way: Peter Parker returns as Spider-Man. It's gonna happen sooner or later.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature
darkjam
darkjam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club Jun. 24th, 2013 @ 10:51 AM Reply

Silly boy, if Peter outright died, it's much harder to bring him back when the sales slip or they hit the end of this experiment. No matter which, it ends the same way: Peter Parker returns as Spider-Man. It's gonna happen sooner or later.

True. I still remember when there was a black spiderman.

BBS Signature
aviewaskewed
aviewaskewed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Blank Slate
Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club Jul. 4th, 2013 @ 10:08 PM Reply

At 6/24/13 10:51 AM, darkjam wrote: True. I still remember when there was a black spiderman.

Yeah, this is why I tend to stay away from the A level corporate books these days, they substitute stunts for storytelling too much these days.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature
Geemo19
Geemo19
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club Jul. 20th, 2013 @ 08:17 PM Reply

Who do you think are the STRONGEST... As in muscle are in the Marvel universe?

Number 1 in my opinion is Spiderman... The reason being because a spider can lift you know... however many times fit's weight... Idk exactly but i did read, if i recall correctly... That Spiderman can lift 20 tons of weight...

Anyone feel the same?
Or different?

darkjam
darkjam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club Jul. 21st, 2013 @ 06:01 PM Reply

Number 1 in my opinion is Spiderman... The reason being because a spider can lift you know... however many times fit's weight... Idk exactly but i did read, if i recall correctly... That Spiderman can lift 20 tons of weight...

In terms of pure strength, it's between Hulk and Captain America for me. But Thor is fucking STRONG with that hammer!

BBS Signature
aviewaskewed
aviewaskewed
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Blank Slate
Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club Jul. 21st, 2013 @ 08:21 PM Reply

At 7/21/13 06:01 PM, darkjam wrote: In terms of pure strength, it's between Hulk and Captain America for me. But Thor is fucking STRONG with that hammer!

Cap is peak human so...no, Spider-Man is easily stronger and really anyone whose strength is "super" beats him.

Thor is among the strongest without enhancement, Hulk also is extremely strong but obviously the madder he gets the stronger he gets so...not exactly pure muscle. Juggernaut may not classify either because his strength is magic based.

So I'd say it's Thor and Hulk as strongest probably, with Hulk being able to just edge him eventually.

PM me about forum abuse.

BBS Signature
darkjam
darkjam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club Jul. 27th, 2013 @ 09:40 PM Reply

So I'd say it's Thor and Hulk as strongest probably, with Hulk being able to just edge him eventually.

But if Thor had his hammer and gave one massive swing wouldn't that kill him? After all, the hammer is made from a star isn't it?

BBS Signature
darkjam
darkjam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club Jul. 27th, 2013 @ 11:43 PM Reply

So that new Deadpool game rekindled my love for the series and I was wondering if they still make any comics about him, or is he just ignored?

BBS Signature
Tony-DarkGrave
Tony-DarkGrave
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 43
Programmer
Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club Jul. 29th, 2013 @ 01:36 AM Reply

trying to get old back issues of the walking dead i'm on my way of getting everything from the current issue to issue 60# I got the majority of 90s and 100s got half of the 80s and few 70s and no 60s.

Dark-Knight
Dark-Knight
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 34
Blank Slate
Response to The Endless Crew: Comic Book Club Aug. 10th, 2013 @ 12:03 AM Reply

Hey Guys I have a new Comic coming out 1st issue is available over at IndieGoGo
The Vagabond Comic IndieGoGo Campaign

Let me know if you like the concept will be available in the coming months

"He Who Devours Your Entrails & Enjoys It" : Lobo

BBS Signature