00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

ozziel94 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

reason sidechaining

1,020 Views | 7 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

reason sidechaining 2008-03-04 21:21:23

does anyone know how to sidechain in reason 3/4?? i want to make a ducking effect, but im not sure how to go about doing that.

Response to reason sidechaining 2008-03-04 21:26:12

At 3/4/08 09:21 PM, p4c wrote: does anyone know how to sidechain in reason 3/4?? i want to make a ducking effect, but im not sure how to go about doing that.

to clarify, i did RTFM, and followed the setup, trying to make my crash cymbal sample duck with the bass drum, and when i try to play it back, only the bass drum plays, and the crash cymbal is lost. help!!

Response to reason sidechaining 2008-03-04 22:09:46

check this out may help
here

"It's alright to be afraid, lord knows I am."

BBS Signature

Response to reason sidechaining 2008-03-04 22:15:28

At 3/4/08 10:09 PM, nubbinownz wrote: check this out may help
here

yeah i saw that. i might try it later, the onyl thing was that i was wondering if there was a way that actually involved the sidechaining function in the reason mclass compressor, not just running it through that matrix shiznit and manually modulating that way lol.

Response to reason sidechaining 2008-03-04 22:16:56

At 3/4/08 10:15 PM, p4c wrote: yeah i saw that. i might try it later, the onyl thing was that i was wondering if there was a way that actually involved the sidechaining function in the reason mclass compressor, not just running it through that matrix shiznit and manually modulating that way lol.

Sidechaining is generally done with compressors.

Try checking it out.

Response to reason sidechaining 2008-03-05 02:15:36

lolz reason thread

Ok so that video might be a bit confusing- here's very basically how you sidechain an instrument to a kick- it's done a little easier for you with the Redrum unit- so

Insert a kick sample into a channel of the redrum (or many if you want to layer shit)- take the "S1" knob you can se right under the sample display all the way up. If you want to use several kicks and sidechain the instrument to all those, take the S1 knobs all the way up on those too.

Take whatever instrument you want to sidechain with, with and slap a compressor on it. Take input gain all the way up, threshold all the way down and ratio all the way up for starters

Hook the Send Out 1 of the Redrum into the Sidechain In of the compressor.

...so yeah, when a drum beat is playing, and you play a note with the instrument, you'll hear the compression effect. Twist the Input Gain, Threshold and Ratio knobs to change amount of effect

lolpics of setup: lolfront and lolback (scream 4 is not important, just to show you can have the instrumet routed through effects too

But keep Reason questions to the linked thread plzzle

Response to reason sidechaining 2008-03-05 08:17:19

you are awesome sbb :D not so much for navij lol i figured that much out haha

ill keep that thread bookmarked, tee why

Response to reason sidechaining 2008-03-05 09:30:44

At 3/5/08 08:17 AM, p4c wrote: you are awesome sbb :D not so much for navij lol i figured that much out haha

ill keep that thread bookmarked, tee why

If you still get stuck with it, just PM me your e-mail and i'll send you a reason file with some simple sidechaining for you to learn from.