New Topic Respond to this Topic
LoveStargirl
LoveStargirl
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Sonic Crew 2013-03-16 00:52:14 Reply

At 9/14/03 07:39 PM, ProtoBassX wrote: Talk about Sonic the Hedgehog!

I Loooooooove sonic! I have a bunch of his games!

Sonic
Sonic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Sonic Crew 2013-05-14 18:00:55 Reply

At 3/16/13 12:52 AM, LoveStargirl wrote:

Sonic is overrated, to be honest. I very much enjoy Sanic.

BBS Signature
Swackman
Swackman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Sonic Crew 2013-05-20 22:42:44 Reply

At 5/14/13 06:00 PM, Sonic wrote:
At 3/16/13 12:52 AM, LoveStargirl wrote:
Sonic is overrated, to be honest. I very much enjoy Sanic.

Fire in a die, please.

Twone
Twone
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Musician
Response to Sonic Crew 2013-07-04 12:27:03 Reply

Sonic and the Lost Worlds... thoughts? I hope something great comes out of it!

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 47
Gamer
Response to Sonic Crew 2013-07-04 17:34:49 Reply

At 7/4/13 12:27 PM, Twone wrote: Sonic and the Lost Worlds... thoughts? I hope something great comes out of it!

It'll never measure up to Sonic Spinball.

Sig by Capcom - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
Twone
Twone
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Musician
Response to Sonic Crew 2013-07-07 13:39:07 Reply

At 7/4/13 05:34 PM, ZJ wrote:
At 7/4/13 12:27 PM, Twone wrote: Sonic and the Lost Worlds... thoughts? I hope something great comes out of it!
It'll never measure up to Sonic Spinball.

nothing ever will

BBS Signature
darkjam
darkjam
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Gamer
Response to Sonic Crew 2013-07-09 13:47:37 Reply

So ummm anybody got any tips for speedrunning metropolis zone on Sonic 2? I keep getting dominated by the scythers.

I got Tom to make a sig, bow down to me.

BBS Signature
Phoenix2001
Phoenix2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Game Developer
Response to Sonic Crew 2013-07-23 03:08:58 Reply

can i join this crew

Phoenix2001
Phoenix2001
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Game Developer
Response to Sonic Crew 2013-07-23 18:40:00 Reply

Just gain momentum as you run and just jumpover them. Trust me I beat the game

OurTimeWillCome
OurTimeWillCome
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Sonic Crew 2013-07-24 16:51:55 Reply

sonic is sexy

Swackman
Swackman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Sonic Crew 2013-07-30 19:01:57 Reply

Oi.....noob attacks again.......

Lost Worlds looks pretty cool.

MyNameIsMia
MyNameIsMia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Gamer
Response to Sonic Crew 2013-08-13 21:40:17 Reply

I <3 sonic!!

I'm just a girl from Texas. Nothing much.

Twone
Twone
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Musician
Response to Sonic Crew 2014-11-13 09:40:29 Reply

Oof.

BBS Signature
jimberly-chaotic
jimberly-chaotic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Musician
Response to Sonic Crew 2014-11-18 22:53:28 Reply

Can I join the Sonic Crew? I make Sonic Fangames and it's nice to meet you guys :)

TheGamechanger
TheGamechanger
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Gamer
Response to Sonic Crew 2014-11-21 02:34:38 (edited 2014-11-21 02:35:04) Reply

Can I join?

I think music-wise that Crush 40's songs are the best Sonic songs.

Proof:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5Vj1WPOGQA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGIIei8Yusk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boHPezvlvOo

I think that Sonic and the Black Knight is rather underrated Sonic game.

Video Game Music Archive
Ask Me Anything
Dragon Ball Movie Marathon!
CLICK MY SIG FOR SOME USER ICON BATTLE FUN!

BBS Signature
MrApophis
MrApophis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Writer
Response to Sonic Crew 2014-12-05 05:54:26 Reply

I remember playing the adventure games on dreamcast. Thought they were awesome, but then a generation later I got them on steam and it just feels poorly designed to me.

NekoMika
NekoMika
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 46
Musician
Response to Sonic Crew 2014-12-07 11:12:44 Reply

At 12/5/14 05:54 AM, MrApophis wrote: I remember playing the adventure games on dreamcast. Thought they were awesome, but then a generation later I got them on steam and it just feels poorly designed to me.

The Steam poor is pretty awful since the camera somehow got messed up when getting ported. Also, the title of DX on the port is pretty misleading since you don't unlock any of the Gamegear games like you did on the Gamecube version.

Request Reviews // #9 Reviewer // #3 Audio Reviewer
Audio / Review Moderator - PM with problems or questions

BBS Signature
mysticvortex13
mysticvortex13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Melancholy
Response to Sonic Crew 2015-03-31 23:46:33 Reply

At 11/21/14 02:34 AM, TheGamechanger wrote: Can I join?

I think music-wise that Crush 40's songs are the best Sonic songs.

Proof:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5Vj1WPOGQA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGIIei8Yusk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boHPezvlvOo

I think that Sonic and the Black Knight is rather underrated Sonic game.

did crush 40 make this awesomeness? i think not! : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyoMQg3d5cs

yeah, sonic and the black knight, sonic 06, sonic unleashed, shadow the hedgehog.. all underrated. sonic heroes they got sort of right though..

and they definitely are on the ball about hating sonic lost world, sonic 4, and sonic boom.. (the 3ds thing, not the mod for sonic 2 on genesis)

but they overrate sonic colors and sonic generations.. pieces of crap those are..

anyway, @oobooglunk, you wished to continue to speak with me about why sonic is "all lighthearted and cheery" here?

not that i suppose you'll be able to sway me but okay.. i'm here, what now?

oobooglunk
oobooglunk
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Gamer
Response to Sonic Crew 2015-04-01 01:32:56 Reply

At 3/31/15 11:46 PM, mysticvortex13 wrote:
anyway, @oobooglunk, you wished to continue to speak with me about why sonic is "all lighthearted and cheery" here?

not that i suppose you'll be able to sway me but okay.. i'm here, what now?

Now, I address the following points, which you made previously:

1. "Sonic has literally no character."

Sonic has always been about attitude and being edgy. Everything from his design to his idle animations to the way his franchise openly mocks Mario strengthens Sonic's unstoppably rebellious attitude. He's arrogant and addicted to action, but he knows when to do the right thing. For example, he rescued Amy Rose despite clearly being creeped out by her clingy, almost obsessive nature.

If anything, Sonic's character has been misinterpreted in recent years. He's always been good at thinking on his feet, and strongly cares for the loyalty of his friends. For instance, in Sonic 3, Sonic figured out how to pilot the Egg-O-Matic on the fly (no pun intended) and he figured out how to sabotage the Eclipse Cannon simply by observing the power of Tails' fake Chaos Emerald. In newer games, however, Sonic has taken a more methodical approach: smash first and ask questions later. This is an insult to what Sonic once was, as the character traits that he has attained belong to Mario, Sonic's greatest rival.

2. "Lava Reef" is not a reef, nor does it have lava!

Act 1 clearly has lava, and the word "reef" refers to a jagged, rocky mineral deposit, and not necessarily a coral reef in particular. Lava Reef is a reef that contains lava. Your argument is invalid.

3. The Death Egg is dark and meant to be taken seriously.

Conceptually, the Death Egg is a ripoff of the Death Star that has the word "egg" in its name, which makes it impossible to take seriously.

4. Sonic CD has a dark, serious story.

Sonic CD has the barest makings of a narrative. In fact, it's similar to the child-oriented Mario in terms of plot: the world has been encased in stone (or metal) by an evil villain, and a damsel in distress has been kidnapped. Go save her!

That sums it up. You want a truly dark story in a video game? Play Heavy Rain or LA Noir.

5. The Wario games have no story.

The Wario Land series has a more in-depth story than the first Sonic games, and WarioWare gives the main character a new saga to live through to enthrall the audience. Play Wario Land 3 and experience the tale for yourself.

6. Scary stuff in kids' movies and shows never hurt anyone.

My younger brother watched the Spongebob Squarepants movie when he was about six or seven. He later told me that it gave him nightmares, specifically pointing out the scene I referred you to previously. You have no right to call that "not harmful".

7. Whatever Dr. Robotnik couldn't have, he destroyed.

Where is your proof for this? Robotnik couldn't "destroy" an island with a couple palm trees.

8. Deep, intellectual symbolism has no place in this discussion, as interesting as it may be.

Symbolism lies at the heart of every good story. In fact, the example of the Biolizard that I mentioned earlier represents some of the darkest, most serious storytelling that Sonic has ever successfully accomplished. You could have used that to your advantage in this discussion, but you chose to dismiss it. Never underestimate the power of symbolism.

9. Eggman was even more heroic than Shadow in Shadow the Hedgehog, the latter being a massive douche. Also, Eggman was rather helpful in Sonic Chronicles.

Technically, Shadow could become anything the player wanted him to become: good, bad, or anything in between. Moreover, Eggman tried to manipulate and kill Shadow in Shadow the Hedgehog, and Chronicles ended with Eggman stabbing Sonic and his friends in the back by taking over the world.

10. Eggman wasn't even in the original Sonic Riders!

Not only did he feature in it as the main villain, but he technically won. The goal was to uncover a lost treasure of an ancient civilization, and Sonic and his friends did that...until Eggman took it away from them at gunpoint. The heroes were powerless to stop Eggman, and he had won. Unfortunately, the treasure itself was just an excessively ornate carpet and, although Eggman recognized its value, he wasn't satisfied with it and thought he had wasted his time.

Let me rephrase that: Eggman beat Sonic, concluded that his prize wasn't good enough for him, and threw it away.

Dayum.

"Speed is something that is not given; but rather earned through dedication."

BBS Signature
mysticvortex13
mysticvortex13
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Melancholy
Response to Sonic Crew 2015-04-02 02:12:01 (edited 2015-04-02 02:12:47) Reply

At 4/1/15 01:32 AM, oobooglunk wrote:
Sonic has always been about attitude and being edgy. Everything from his design to his idle animations to the way his franchise openly mocks Mario strengthens Sonic's unstoppably rebellious attitude. He's arrogant and addicted to action, but he knows when to do the right thing. For example, he rescued Amy Rose despite clearly being creeped out by her clingy, almost obsessive nature.

so you admit it's dark. there's a reason they call the trope "darker and edgier"..

If anything, Sonic's character has been misinterpreted in recent years. He's always been good at thinking on his feet, and strongly cares for the loyalty of his friends. For instance, in Sonic 3, Sonic figured out how to pilot the Egg-O-Matic on the fly (no pun intended) and he figured out how to sabotage the Eclipse Cannon simply by observing the power of Tails' fake Chaos Emerald. In newer games, however, Sonic has taken a more methodical approach: smash first and ask questions later. This is an insult to what Sonic once was, as the character traits that he has attained belong to Mario, Sonic's greatest rival.

egg o matic? you mean "eggmobile"? the eclipse cannon was never sabatoged except by the black arms. tails came up with the fake emerald plan all on his own, but it didnt work.

sonic adventure 1 was the first modern sonic game. they never did explain how they got from mobius to earth in a canonical manner of speaking.. sonic x is fake and thus illegitimate.

tails has always been the brains of team sonic. sonic was never smart. in all likelihood, sonic only succeeded in piloting the eggmobile because eggman was careless enough to design it to be easy to operate and still leave it unattended..

Conceptually, the Death Egg is a ripoff of the Death Star that has the word "egg" in its name, which makes it impossible to take seriously.

it has two deathrays instead of one like the deathstar had, making it more badass.. granted, they arent capable of destroying planets completely unless they've been imbued with the power of all the emeralds.. but when they are it isnt limited to just planets and other space stations or ships like the death star was, it can literally destroy anything it targets.. the word "egg" is irrelevant.. it's rather easy to take seriously..

Sonic CD has the barest makings of a narrative. In fact, it's similar to the child-oriented Mario in terms of plot: the world has been encased in stone (or metal) by an evil villain, and a damsel in distress has been kidnapped. Go save her!

even mario has plot. it's all there in both the manual and the background.. super mario 1 was a piece of crap fanfic granted, since it read something to the effect of "bowser cast a spell on the citizens of the mushroom kingdom transforming them into the bricks and other inanimate scenery you see throughout the stages.. "

it's rather redundant with the "your princess is in another castle" part.. but sonic cd is infinitely more elaborite.. you have to find the timestones to undo the paradox eggman created.. you have to go back in time to liberate the natural world and prevent amy's kidnapping by destroying the robot manufacturing devices and the metal sonic generators..

fail to do so, and you see yet another area of little planet become engulfed in unlivable toxic waste and robots that rusted away due to how craptastic it got.

That sums it up. You want a truly dark story in a video game? Play Heavy Rain or LA Noir.

or literally any decent game known to man. la noir is shit, and i've not heard of heavy rain. bioshock is better. and believe me, on the sliding scale of dark games, sonic is nearly as dark as bioshock despite sonic not usually featuring dead characters.

The Wario Land series has a more in-depth story than the first Sonic games, and WarioWare gives the main character a new saga to live through to enthrall the audience. Play Wario Land 3 and experience the tale for yourself.

warioware is nothing but minigames. warioland games do have story, but nowhere near as much as sonic..

My younger brother watched the Spongebob Squarepants movie when he was about six or seven. He later told me that it gave him nightmares, specifically pointing out the scene I referred you to previously. You have no right to call that "not harmful".

i had nightmares when i watched ER back in the 90s.. however, it's still not harmful. emotional butthurt isnt damaging to sanity. in fact, watch enough scary things and you'll start to be immunized..

Where is your proof for this? Robotnik couldn't "destroy" an island with a couple palm trees.

angel island is miniscule compared to what it once was.. only the master emerald shrine remains. sky sanctuary and the jungle area we see in act 1 of the regular angel island? utterly annihilated.

Symbolism lies at the heart of every good story. In fact, the example of the Biolizard that I mentioned earlier represents some of the darkest, most serious storytelling that Sonic has ever successfully accomplished. You could have used that to your advantage in this discussion, but you chose to dismiss it. Never underestimate the power of symbolism.

no. if a story were a french fry, then symbolism would be ketchup. it brings out the "flavor" in the story. it's not the brunt of the story itself. i'd compare it to potatoes if it were.. it's not even a component of it, otherwise i'd compare it to salt.

Technically, Shadow could become anything the player wanted him to become: good, bad, or anything in between. Moreover, Eggman tried to manipulate and kill Shadow in Shadow the Hedgehog, and Chronicles ended with Eggman stabbing Sonic and his friends in the back by taking over the world.

he's a greedy, ambitious sonnovabitch, yes.. but he's still decent. and any way you slice it, shadow still attacked somebody other than aliens in shadow the hedgehog. gun, eggman, it doesnt really matter. also, you gotta play through all endings in order to get last story unlocked. so really, he did evil. he did good too, but more evil than good.

10. Eggman wasn't even in the original Sonic Riders!

i never said that.. i said he didnt race nor show much of his face in-person... his robots (not to mention the babylon rogues) did all that, so technically they're the main villains. doesnt matter who their boss is or what happened at the end.

DoctorStrongbad
DoctorStrongbad
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Blank Slate
Response to Sonic Crew 2015-04-04 01:14:32 Reply

The first three will always be my favorite of the series.

I have a PhD in Troll Physics
Top Medal points user list. I am number 12