Be a Supporter!

Why hold on to your religion?

  • 446 Views
  • 12 Replies
New Topic
DeathAura
DeathAura
  • Member since: Jan. 13, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Why hold on to your religion? Mar. 3rd, 2008 @ 05:28 PM

I have made a topic about holding on to religion before, but it got deleted. Idk why.

But why hang on to your religion if there's so much scientific evidence proving it wrong? And why stay on a logical side if many religious people will hate you if you do that? I'm just curious to see what people say, and i will be neutral throughout this during the debating.

please do not attack anyone, or argue with someones opinion. It will ruin the post

-main cause for making this thread-
curiosity

reviewer-general
reviewer-general
  • Member since: Sep. 20, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Why hold on to your religion? Mar. 3rd, 2008 @ 05:30 PM

At 3/3/08 05:28 PM, DeathAura wrote: I have made a topic about holding on to religion before, but it got deleted. Idk why.

Hmm, sounds like the perfect reason to go make another one.

;

DeathAura
DeathAura
  • Member since: Jan. 13, 2008
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Why hold on to your religion? Mar. 3rd, 2008 @ 05:30 PM

At 3/3/08 05:30 PM, reviewer-general wrote:
At 3/3/08 05:28 PM, DeathAura wrote: I have made a topic about holding on to religion before, but it got deleted. Idk why.
Hmm, sounds like the perfect reason to go make another one.

;

yep, lol

Duoflippy
Duoflippy
  • Member since: Jul. 17, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Why hold on to your religion? Mar. 3rd, 2008 @ 05:42 PM

Religion provides moral guidelines that prevent from doing things that are bad like drug and alcohol which are dangerous for your body.

Religion is better than no religion. I'm glad Christianity influenced American law because if it didn't then some of the laws would be immoral and there would be more problems.

Tomsan
Tomsan
  • Member since: Nov. 7, 2002
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Movie Buff
Response to Why hold on to your religion? Mar. 3rd, 2008 @ 06:08 PM

At 3/3/08 05:42 PM, Duoflippy wrote: Religion provides moral guidelines that prevent from doing things that are bad like drug and alcohol which are dangerous for your body.

jesus gave everyone wine though, but I agree a religious book provides a moral guideline, only they become outdated


Religion is better than no religion. I'm glad Christianity influenced American law because if it didn't then some of the laws would be immoral and there would be more problems.

plz elaborate. How are atheists immoral? What is immoral?


God invented evolution 'cause he couldn't do it all by himself! Awesome Tees!

BBS Signature
JackPhantasm
JackPhantasm
  • Member since: Sep. 29, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Why hold on to your religion? Mar. 3rd, 2008 @ 06:09 PM

I believe in god and science.

Just because science can explain stuff doesn't mean it's proving that god doesn't exist.

Quite the opposite in my opinion.

Lindione
Lindione
  • Member since: Nov. 21, 2007
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Why hold on to your religion? Mar. 3rd, 2008 @ 06:22 PM

At 3/3/08 05:42 PM, Duoflippy wrote: Religion provides moral guidelines that prevent from doing things that are bad like drug and alcohol which are dangerous for your body.

Religion is better than no religion. I'm glad Christianity influenced American law because if it didn't then some of the laws would be immoral and there would be more problems.

Moral from your point of view, which is completely different from the atheist point of view. Also, most of those laws could have come about from reason anyhow. Those laws were simply putting on paper the social norms of society, thats what most laws do. Wat makes a law immoral anyhow, I would like to know. Also, why do so many catholics drink (look at the Irish-catholics no one in the world will say none of them drink). I went to a catholic festival a few years and they served alchohol and had quite a few gambling tables. I'm straight-edge and it has nothing to do with religion.


"Any state, any entity, any ideology that fails to recognize the worth, the dignity, the rights of man, that state is obsolete."

Don't bother using the bible as an argument.

Brick-top
Brick-top
  • Member since: Oct. 29, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 21
Blank Slate
Response to Why hold on to your religion? Mar. 3rd, 2008 @ 06:23 PM

This is too easy it looks like bait for satire but what the hell.

At 3/3/08 05:42 PM, Duoflippy wrote: Religion provides moral guidelines that prevent from doing things that are bad like drug and alcohol which are dangerous for your body.

However many Religions support racism, sexism, murder and torture. Acording to you these things aren't bad?

Also, wild animals can live peacefully (works especially well with ants) with eachother without knowledge of a supernatural creature.

Society can co-exist peacefully without Religion, otherwise crime rates in countries with less theists would have much higher crime rates.


Religion is better than no religion. I'm glad Christianity influenced American law because if it didn't then some of the laws would be immoral and there would be more problems.

*cough* seperation of church and state *cough* if Religion is influencing law then it's unconstitutional.

Also, we've seen what Religion does when it controls the government. All that happens is people are forced into believing something they're not and scientific research that conflicts with Religious belief would be banned.

Religion has no place in the modern world.

JackPhantasm
JackPhantasm
  • Member since: Sep. 29, 2003
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to Why hold on to your religion? Mar. 3rd, 2008 @ 06:25 PM

Religion might have no place but I see no reason to stop believing in God.

A religionless god, defined by science.

Duoflippy
Duoflippy
  • Member since: Jul. 17, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Why hold on to your religion? Mar. 3rd, 2008 @ 06:27 PM

At 3/3/08 06:08 PM, Tomsan wrote: jesus gave everyone wine though, but I agree a religious book provides a moral guideline, only they become outdated

Well, it is the Bible. Everyone knows the bible is full of symbols and metaphors and maybe wine might be a metaphor for something else.

Anyhow, some religions prohibit these kinds of things while others do not, especially the shamanic
religions that used drugs to get spiritually high. I must of just thought about the religions that do no believe in that stuff when writing the post

fahrenheit
fahrenheit
  • Member since: Jun. 29, 2004
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Why hold on to your religion? Mar. 3rd, 2008 @ 06:28 PM

Faith tramples all reason, logic, and common sense (sigged).

At 3/3/08 05:42 PM, Duoflippy wrote: I'm glad Christianity influenced American law because if it didn't then some of the laws would be immoral and there would be more problems.

That is an incredibly ignorant claim.

I agree though that religion was useful to teach morals to otherwise lawless people, but nowadays society is there to do that.


Faith tramples all reason, logic, and common sense.
PM me for a sig.

BBS Signature
Buffalow
Buffalow
  • Member since: Jun. 5, 2005
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Why hold on to your religion? Mar. 3rd, 2008 @ 06:38 PM

*sigh*

Religion and Science threads are a dime a dozen on the BBS. And they all end abruptly with a "Logic" guy saying how Science is more logical than Religion, and a "Religion" guy saying how Religion is more moral than Science.


Well-a Everybody's Heard About the Word, Tha-Tha-Tha Word-Word-Word the Word is the.....

BBS Signature
Duoflippy
Duoflippy
  • Member since: Jul. 17, 2006
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Member
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Why hold on to your religion? Mar. 3rd, 2008 @ 06:39 PM

At 3/3/08 06:28 PM, fahrenheit wrote: I agree though that religion was useful to teach morals to otherwise lawless people, but nowadays society is there to do that.

I agree with that. Religion helped make unlawful civilizations more moral back then, but recently it has come with some problems, like with Islam radicals. The good thing is that society today is a lot more moral than it used to be, which may of have evolved from religions transformation of earlier communities.