New Topic Respond to this Topic
TNT
TNT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Global "Cooling" Oh Shit! 2008-03-03 17:19:51 Reply

I've just learned that 2007 is the coldest year in the world since 1960-1970s. This is big news. Here a link at Fox News.com that explains it. Discuss.

Latest song cover: Rock Is Dead.
Steam ID: echoes83 (Tyler from Texas)

BBS Signature
Duoflippy
Duoflippy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Global "Cooling" Oh Shit! 2008-03-03 17:52:53 Reply

Fox News? I mean seriously.

Anyway, everyone here knows this by now and rather than telling us, tell all the people you know that are freaking out about global warming and set them straight.

Bolo
Bolo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 48
Blank Slate
Response to Global "Cooling" Oh Shit! 2008-03-03 17:53:41 Reply

Because one year proves an entire trend wrong?

BBS Signature
Christopherr
Christopherr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Global "Cooling" Oh Shit! 2008-03-03 18:04:51 Reply

At 3/3/08 05:53 PM, Bolo wrote: Because one year proves an entire trend wrong?

If you can't conjure an explanation as to why it so greatly deviated from the trend, yes, it can prove the trend to be false.

"NGs! now with +1 medical consultation." -SolInvictus

BBS Signature
morefngdbs
morefngdbs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Art Lover
Response to Global "Cooling" Oh Shit! 2008-03-03 18:20:49 Reply

At 3/3/08 06:04 PM, Christopherr wrote:
yes, it can prove the trend to be false.

;
Ah yes ... global warming, that's why I've burnt more ( almost a full cord more) firewood this year than this time last year, & the year before, & the year befor , & the... (I can only do this for 4 years, I lived in the city before that & we didn't have a woodstove or fire place)

I"LL SAY IT AGAIN - DAMN IT- we are experiencing 'climate change'- (let's spread the message through out the known universe... or at least the internet , CLIMATE CHANGE ).

Nobody knows any more about this than the weather man knows the weather for the next couple of days
It's all just Guesses, for the most part BEST Guesses .

One other point... just because it's getting a degree or so warmer in the North & South Poles & over their summer & winter months , means more & more ice is disappearing <>Doesn't mean the weather ain't cold & wet & miserable more often than it usually is everywhere else !

Those who have only the religious opinions of others in their head & worship them. Have no room for their own thoughts & no room to contemplate anyone elses ideas either-More

AdamRice
AdamRice
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Blank Slate
Response to Global "Cooling" Oh Shit! 2008-03-03 18:21:54 Reply

Don't worry guys, I'll get right to work on this global cooling crisis by increasing my CO2 emissions. Much to everyones luck, this week I'll be buying
this
or
this

or this one down below.

Global

BBS Signature
fahrenheit
fahrenheit
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Blank Slate
Response to Global "Cooling" Oh Shit! 2008-03-03 18:32:53 Reply

2007 was also the second hottest year on record.
This only proves the weather is becoming more erratic instead of just hotter.

Faith tramples all reason, logic, and common sense.
PM me for a sig.

BBS Signature
Buffalow
Buffalow
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Global "Cooling" Oh Shit! 2008-03-03 18:50:20 Reply

Lol @ people who thought Global Warming was proven to be real.

Well-a Everybody's Heard About the Word, Tha-Tha-Tha Word-Word-Word the Word is the.....

BBS Signature
KeithHybrid
KeithHybrid
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Global "Cooling" Oh Shit! 2008-03-03 20:03:25 Reply

At 3/3/08 05:19 PM, T-N-T wrote: Fox News

You lose.

When all else fails, blame the casuals!

BBS Signature
SEXY-FETUS
SEXY-FETUS
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Global "Cooling" Oh Shit! 2008-03-03 20:09:22 Reply

Well we've gone through 9 years of no change in the global average.
Almost a full degree colder in antarctica this year.
Almost doubled our co2 emissions in the last decade.
To say we're not going through climate change would be wrong.
To say it's man made is leaning towards wrong with what we know, but still debatable.

Our growing dependence on laws only shows how uncivilized we are.

TNT
TNT
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Musician
Response to Global "Cooling" Oh Shit! 2008-03-03 20:25:05 Reply

At 3/3/08 06:32 PM, fahrenheit wrote: 2007 was also the second hottest year on record.

What the hell, that made no sense.

Latest song cover: Rock Is Dead.
Steam ID: echoes83 (Tyler from Texas)

BBS Signature
dySWN
dySWN
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Global "Cooling" Oh Shit! 2008-03-03 20:46:01 Reply

At 3/3/08 08:25 PM, T-N-T wrote:
At 3/3/08 06:32 PM, fahrenheit wrote: 2007 was also the second hottest year on record.
What the hell, that made no sense.

No, it makes plenty of sense. In terms of geological time, the only unusual weather patterns are the ones that don't change.

Memorize
Memorize
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Animator
Response to Global "Cooling" Oh Shit! 2008-03-03 21:59:25 Reply

At 3/3/08 08:03 PM, KeithHybrid wrote:
At 3/3/08 05:19 PM, T-N-T wrote: Fox News
You lose.

How about this: FOX

Article written by: John Lott. Author is Freedomnomics and is a Senior Research Scientist at the University of Maryland.

Fox news may or may not = "You lose"

But simpley shrugging it off all because it's from FOX news does = You're a fucking idiot. Or just lazy.

Although I do find it ironic that if the temperature were to raise as much as it has recently fallen, people would call it a "serious development".

Gotta love the double standard.

DariusR
DariusR
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Animator
Response to Global "Cooling" Oh Shit! 2008-03-03 22:01:45 Reply

Fox News is the antithesis to any liberal idea.

Gay Marriage? No gay marriage.
Abortion? No abortion.
Global Warming? Global Cooling.

Kill a man, you're a murderer, kill many, you're a conqueror, kill 'em all, and you're a god!

BBS Signature
cellardoor6
cellardoor6
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Blank Slate
Response to Global "Cooling" Oh Shit! 2008-03-03 22:02:57 Reply

As opposed to the trends that show the earth has received dramatic periods of warming? As opposed to the trends that show global warming long before humans had the ability to produce greenhouse gases to the degree necessary to change the climate (according to the people who are freaking out about C02 emissions).

Yay, Obama won. Let's thank his supporters:
-The compliant mainstream media for their pro-Obama propaganda.
-Black Panthers for their intimidation of voters.

BBS Signature
spiroff
spiroff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Global "Cooling" Oh Shit! 2008-03-04 08:49:11 Reply

proof of this?

Sp10x
Sp10x
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Blank Slate
Response to Global "Cooling" Oh Shit! 2008-03-04 08:56:50 Reply

For all of you who wont look at this because it was written by fox news here are two other sites with similar info.

http://www.dailytech.com/Temperature+Mon itors+Report+Worldwide+Global+Cooling/ar ticle10866.htm
http://www.nationalpost.com/opinion/colu mnists/story.html?id=332289

BTW, foxnews only has a bad name because the other networks portray them negatively, you know CNN, MSNBC, or ABC. Next time you hear something on foxnews LISTEN to it and then question its validity.

BBS Signature
bobomajo
bobomajo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Global "Cooling" Oh Shit! 2008-03-04 09:31:10 Reply

While it may have been slightly cooler in California in 2007 it was slightly hotter around the rest of the world. That article cites no references to reports or records so theres no way you can prove that it wasn't just made up on the spot. Which it probably was knowing fox news. Also its not unusual for there to be 1-2 year world temperature fluctuations and a cooling in places of the world in 2007 actually follow the trends of global warming, heres a 2007 temperature summary from NASA even a fox news watching patriot like your self would not try to dispute the findings of NASA.

If you actually made an effort to actually learn what "global warming" is all about, instead of putting your fingers in your ears yelling out "la la la la im not listening". You actually should call global warming, global climate change because there will not be the same result of it in every location of the world. But climates will change if trends continue and this is what pose the highest realistic risk in the future.

EndGameOmega
EndGameOmega
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Global "Cooling" Oh Shit! 2008-03-04 09:40:01 Reply

Individual fluctuations happen, it's called noise. Take a look back at 1998 you see that huge spike? it was mostly noise. We can not be sure that it's going to stay cooler, we can not be sure it's not going to shoot up. Solar output has decreased slightly, many scientist knew this, they knew it was happening back in the seventies when they where miss quoted by Newsweek and other papers as havening claim global cooling was going to happen.

I would like to quote one specific part of the article:

"While the data doesn't itself disprove that carbon dioxide is acting to warm the planet, it does demonstrate clearly that more powerful factors are now cooling it."

Which is no different then what many other scientist have said. CO2 is acting as a greenhouse gas, and given the amount in the atmosphere we are on a global scale significantly warmer then we would be with out it.

If you have a -10% chance of succeeding, not only will you fail every time you make an attempt, you will also fail 1 in 10 times that you don't even try.

Ravariel
Ravariel
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Musician
Response to Global "Cooling" Oh Shit! 2008-03-04 11:49:21 Reply

I dunno what yall are talking about it being colder this year than last. Here in Michigan, we've had more 40+ degree days than below zero days in February. Anything above freezing is unheard of here in Feb.

All in all I say: bring on global warming... I'm friggin cold.

Tis better to sit in silence and be presumed a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt.

EndGameOmega
EndGameOmega
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Global "Cooling" Oh Shit! 2008-03-04 11:54:38 Reply

At 3/4/08 11:49 AM, Ravariel wrote: All in all I say: bring on global warming... I'm friggin cold.

Screw you I like the cold.

If you have a -10% chance of succeeding, not only will you fail every time you make an attempt, you will also fail 1 in 10 times that you don't even try.

bobomajo
bobomajo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Global "Cooling" Oh Shit! 2008-03-04 12:30:49 Reply

At 3/4/08 11:49 AM, Ravariel wrote:
All in all I say: bring on global warming... I'm friggin cold.

Mabye you shouldn't be living in Michigan then maybe Arizona is more your style.

Proteas
Proteas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 30
Blank Slate
Response to Global "Cooling" Oh Shit! 2008-03-04 14:01:57 Reply

At 3/4/08 09:31 AM, bobomajo wrote: While it may have been slightly cooler in California in 2007 it was slightly hotter around the rest of the world. That article cites no references to reports or records so theres no way you can prove that it wasn't just made up on the spot. Which it probably was knowing fox news.

The article in question was presented by Fox News as an opinion piece, written by John Lott who is a senior research analyst at the University of Maryland, and holds a Ph. D in economics with environmental regulation being one of his interests. This is not some random Internet blogger or talking head we're talking about here, this is someone who gets paid to sit around and do nothing but research on a given issue and write articles for peer reviewed scientific journals.

The piece in question WAS backed up by a link to the Science section of Daily Tech.com, itself backed up by mutliple credible sources including several well known newspapers and NASA.

Either you have a reading comprehension problem, or you're so blinded by your own hatred for Fox News that you won't even consider granting the article in question a scrap of consideration.

You actually should call global warming, global climate change because there will not be the same result of it in every location of the world. But climates will change if trends continue and this is what pose the highest realistic risk in the future.

"Climate change" is a $5 word that was invented by political hacks like yourself so that no matter what happens you won't ever be accused of being WRONG, because either way, change in the climate took place.

And while we're on the subject of said hacks being wrong, I'd like to bring up the issue of Global Cooling as it was brought up some thirty odd years ago. Notice how dire the warnings were; death by starvation for millions worldwide because the crops would be killed in freak cold snaps as a brand new ice age approached.

So what happened?

BBS Signature
morefngdbs
morefngdbs
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Art Lover
Response to Global "Cooling" Oh Shit! 2008-03-04 20:19:12 Reply

At 3/4/08 11:49 AM, Ravariel wrote: All in all I say: bring on global warming... I'm friggin cold.

;
I'm in agreement with you there 100%.
I don't give a rats ass about 2 or 3 degrees above freezing. That IS NOT warm.
Ok its warm if your an ice cube !
I am not an ice cube & 35 to 40 degrees is cold enough to kill you if your out in it overnight, your wet & you can't get shelter.
40 degrees is in no way warm in my opinion.
Come on climate change , I want warm summers & balmy winters.

The only ice I care about on this entire planet is the cubes I put in my drink!

Those who have only the religious opinions of others in their head & worship them. Have no room for their own thoughts & no room to contemplate anyone elses ideas either-More