Be a Supporter!
VegetarianMeat
VegetarianMeat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Compensation... Mar. 2nd, 2008 @ 09:43 PM Reply

If a flash submission that uses your song is being sponsored (the author is getting money) are you supposed to get some of the cut as well?

Envy
Envy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Compensation... Mar. 2nd, 2008 @ 09:45 PM Reply

At 3/2/08 09:43 PM, VegetarianMeat wrote: If a flash submission that uses your song is being sponsored (the author is getting money) are you supposed to get some of the cut as well?

Um, did he get it off this site, cause I think that's illegal, unless he asked you first and you agreed .

At 3/27/11 10:22 PM, sugarsimon wrote:
the brilliant songs who create a production for music
Wat

VegetarianMeat
VegetarianMeat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Compensation... Mar. 2nd, 2008 @ 09:48 PM Reply

At 3/2/08 09:45 PM, Envy wrote:
At 3/2/08 09:43 PM, VegetarianMeat wrote: If a flash submission that uses your song is being sponsored (the author is getting money) are you supposed to get some of the cut as well?
Um, did he get it off this site, cause I think that's illegal, unless he asked you first and you agreed .

Yeah, his submission contains a song I submitted to this site, and only this site. I wasn't contacted about anything concerning the game.

Envy
Envy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Compensation... Mar. 2nd, 2008 @ 09:49 PM Reply

He's getting money for that? Why would anyone buy it if they can play it free on newgrounds.

Wat

VegetarianMeat
VegetarianMeat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Compensation... Mar. 2nd, 2008 @ 09:54 PM Reply

At 3/2/08 09:49 PM, Envy wrote: He's getting money for that? Why would anyone buy it if they can play it free on newgrounds.

Nobody's buying it. The game is sponsored, so they're being paid to advertise within the flash.

Daddy-L-Jackson
Daddy-L-Jackson
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 08
Blank Slate
Response to Compensation... Mar. 2nd, 2008 @ 11:27 PM Reply

Sorry man, your song is under the creative commons licenses, you don't get any royalties for it, I guess if you try and talk to the guy who made the flash and ask to get a cut, if he's not a cunt, he might give you a cut.

Nav
Nav
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to Compensation... Mar. 2nd, 2008 @ 11:34 PM Reply

At 3/2/08 11:27 PM, Daddy-L-Jackson wrote: Sorry man, your song is under the creative commons licenses, you don't get any royalties for it, I guess if you try and talk to the guy who made the flash and ask to get a cut, if he's not a cunt, he might give you a cut.

That's not how it works. It can be used for all UNCOMMERCIAL purposes without the artist's permission. Once he starts making money, he needs permission or its illegal.

Rig
Rig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Compensation... Mar. 3rd, 2008 @ 01:41 AM Reply

At 3/2/08 11:34 PM, navij11 wrote: It can be used for all UNCOMMERCIAL purposes without the artist's permission. Once he starts making money, he needs permission or its illegal.

Yup. Get in touch with the guy, he should be giving you some.

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature
InsaneSmilie
InsaneSmilie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Compensation... Mar. 3rd, 2008 @ 02:15 AM Reply

Yes, you absolutely can demand royalties, thats part of the creative commons licence. I whould recomend asking for 15% - 20%.

WUML Lowell 91.5 FM - Real Underground Radio

BBS Signature
VegetarianMeat
VegetarianMeat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Compensation... Mar. 3rd, 2008 @ 10:22 AM Reply

Alright, thanks guys.

c4v
c4v
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Compensation... Mar. 3rd, 2008 @ 01:06 PM Reply

Wow I didn't know this. So you can make moneyz from this audio portal? :LD:D:D:DD:D:D:D::DD:DD

VegetarianMeat
VegetarianMeat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Compensation... Mar. 5th, 2008 @ 05:10 PM Reply

OK I'm gonna bump this to ask a few questions (I've sent emails to three people about compensation):

1. What if they never respond?
2. What if they simply remove the song from the submission?
3. If they do offer me money, how do I know what a fair amount is, or if they're telling the truth?

It really sucks knowing people have made money using your work :(

Envy
Envy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Compensation... Mar. 5th, 2008 @ 05:34 PM Reply

Look at it as free advertising. You could always get them/you in trouble if you're that upset about it, if you're using an pirated material, you just blah.... Yknow.

Wat

VegetarianMeat
VegetarianMeat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Compensation... Mar. 5th, 2008 @ 05:42 PM Reply

At 3/5/08 05:34 PM, Envy wrote: Look at it as free advertising.

For what? Other game authors looking for some chump who doesn't bother going after what they deserve? I like to make music for myself, and if other people like it, cool, but when someone starts making money using my stuff, it's just annoying.

You could always get them/you in trouble if you're that upset about it, if you're using an pirated material, you just blah.... Yknow.

I don't use pirated material, so I don't exactly know what you're talking about.

jrayteam6
jrayteam6
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Compensation... Mar. 5th, 2008 @ 06:19 PM Reply

Listen man, unless dudes raking in thosands, its not worth your time. You talking about royalties in checks of change monthly. Absolutly not worth your time trying to run the dude down. Your going to lose more friends whining about every cent than you will by sucking it up and letting dude keep his quarter for your free publicity.

VegetarianMeat
VegetarianMeat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Compensation... Mar. 5th, 2008 @ 06:34 PM Reply

At 3/5/08 06:19 PM, jrayteam6 wrote: Listen man, unless dudes raking in thosands, its not worth your time. You talking about royalties in checks of change monthly. Absolutly not worth your time trying to run the dude down. Your going to lose more friends whining about every cent than you will by sucking it up and letting dude keep his quarter for your free publicity.

Thing is, I don't know how much they're making. The last, and first time I was given money for my song being used I got payed just a little under 200$ How do I know I couldn't be making that same amount from other submissions? Also, as far as I'm concerned, these people aren't my friends, I've never talked them before. I'm aware that there's a large probability that there's not much to be made off of it, but it's not only about money. These people didn't even bother contacting me before they submitted their stuff. Doesn't that seem at least a little bit rude/disrespectful to you? If they don't reply back, I'll just drop it.

jrayteam6
jrayteam6
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Compensation... Mar. 5th, 2008 @ 08:19 PM Reply

Sure its definatly rude, thats not what I'm saying at all, I'm just assuming the dude doesnt have several hundred thousand views, he's probably pulling in pennies at a time if anything. I dont know that for sure, but I'd assume that flash sponsorships have a simalir pay rate to any other online affiliate program which is miniscule and not worth anyones time unless your generating some major traffic. On the other hand, your music, you know what its worth to you, go for it.

VegetarianMeat
VegetarianMeat
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to Compensation... Mar. 5th, 2008 @ 09:11 PM Reply

At 3/5/08 08:19 PM, jrayteam6 wrote: I'm just assuming the dude doesnt have several hundred thousand views, he's probably pulling in pennies at a time if anything. I dont know that for sure, but I'd assume that flash sponsorships have a simalir pay rate to any other online affiliate program which is miniscule and not worth anyones time unless your generating some major traffic.

My brother just got 40$ from some guy who used his submission, which had about 500 less views, and no awards. And really, even if he is pulling in pennies at a time, it's illegal. It's like downloading music: even you're not making any money off of it, and you wouldn't buy it otherwise, it's still illegal.

Hazard-Productions
Hazard-Productions
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Compensation... Mar. 7th, 2008 @ 06:33 PM Reply

hey, I'm the one who used his audio. I don't receive some amount per page view or anything, I got paid around $100 to put the links in and stuff. I just didn't realize I should pay for it, and I apologize. I just talked to my sponsor and he says he'd be happy to send you the money, although he was telling me he thinks %15 is a little steep considering the song is only featured at the end of the game for a very short time. I'm just about to send a reply to the PM you sent, so we can continue to discuss this...

dj-pope
dj-pope
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to Compensation... Mar. 7th, 2008 @ 06:40 PM Reply

At 3/7/08 06:33 PM, Hazard-Productions wrote: hey, I'm the one who used his audio...

Honourable thing to do. You got my respect.

Pat!M /// a.k.a Dj Pope

BBS Signature