Be a Supporter!
mariomusicmaker1
mariomusicmaker1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
7.1 on NewG? Mar. 1st, 2008 @ 12:27 PM Reply

Well guys, i just figured out how to use each speaker individually and sweep from 1 speaker to the next, i have a 7.1 system, if i take the next 10 hours of my life to make a song in 7,1 instead of stereo, will it be 7.1 in the audio portal? and if not what format do i have to export it as?

btw, it makes the best damned snare roll ever!

I Stopped A Rape!!!
" If music is an art, let your car be the canvas, "

BBS Signature
dirtydigital
dirtydigital
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to 7.1 on NewG? Mar. 1st, 2008 @ 01:08 PM Reply

I believe Mp3 Surround is only at 5.1.

Rig
Rig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to 7.1 on NewG? Mar. 1st, 2008 @ 01:16 PM Reply

True multichannel pieces are usually exported as individual mono files for each channel. At least that's what composers have to send in for performances over here...I'm not sure if there IS a 7.1 format. And if there is, I highly doubt that NG will accept it - I mean, 7.1 systems aren't very common.

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature
DavidOrr
DavidOrr
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Musician
Response to 7.1 on NewG? Mar. 1st, 2008 @ 01:53 PM Reply

Unfortunately both 5.1 and 7.1 formats flopped. Yes, there are systems out there you can buy, and people are slowly starting to make the move to 5.1, but the intention of 5.1 was to be the "next great step" in audio realism and make everyone switch to the new systems. Lot's of things contributed to sub-par success. One big flaw was that manufacturers couldn't seem to agree on a standard format for the audio, which made purchasing (and developing) 5.1 systems more complicated than the average consumer wanted to deal with. Also, the fact that you need to measure distances of speakers from the ground and from the focal point to have a real accuate 5.1/7.1 system aggravated a lot of people.

So anyway, I believe a 5.1 Mp3 format was launched a few years ago (I remember there being quite a buzz about it), but I don't know the specifics of the format. People have gotten 5.1 sound into the flash medium (which is what the newgrounds player is based on), but I highly doubt the player was programmed to playback 5.1 sound.

BBS Signature
Rucklo
Rucklo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Audiophile
Response to 7.1 on NewG? Mar. 1st, 2008 @ 01:56 PM Reply

I think the standard surround 5.1 format is AC3.
According to wiki, there are mp3-5.1 formats that are compatible with stereo. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MP3_Surroun d

I dont know if it would be possible to upload such a file on NG, but it could be worth a try. That would be pretty cool, I was on my way to make a small surround-mix last year, and make a small contest or whatever about it for flash authors to animate, but I figured the NG audio player wouldn't accept AC3, so I scrapped that project. That was pre-redesign tho, and I have no idea what hte current player is capable of.

At 3/1/08 01:16 PM, Rig wrote: True multichannel pieces are usually exported as individual mono files for each channel. At least that's what composers have to send in for performances over here...I'm not sure if there IS a 7.1 format. And if there is, I highly doubt that NG will accept it - I mean, 7.1 systems aren't very common.

7.1 systems are still very common in cinema theatres, I belive they're alot more common than 5.1 when it comes to cinemas.
The standard 5.1 was developed for private use mainly, Orr covered alot of the 5.1 story.

There are loads of other surround-systems, 3-0 (meaning 3 in front and no rear, L, R and C speaker only... the "." would point out the amount of subs, 5.1 f.ex. ), 3-1, one "effect" speakr... this system dont have the intention of being a "surround" system to begin with, rather have one channel for effects, ambience etc. it was developed for cinemas first and foremost.
there's also the 10.2 system, 10 speakers and 2 subs. rawr! actually, any combination is possible... at my uni, they have are building a whole new section, including a "media egg", a building shaped like an egg, with a cool media-setup innit. My old audio-teacher was helping out on the planning stage in 05 and had suggested a 12.4 system, so that one could stand in four different directions, practically having a 3.1 system in four ways. and of course you'd have the rest of the speakres to play iwth when mixing.
surround is normally mixed in Mono, just like Rig mentioned.

finding a standard that everyone is pleased with seem to be the issue tho... i do not know what ppl use mostly today.

Join the Newgrounds Battlefield 3 Platoon (for PC)! DON'T ASK WHAT YOUR GAME CAN DO FOR YOU, ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR, UH, NEWGROUNDS! ON BATTLEFIELD 3. eh...

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 42
Artist
Response to 7.1 on NewG? Mar. 1st, 2008 @ 02:03 PM Reply

sorry - surround sound mp3 files arent accepted on ngs.

Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!

BBS Signature
Rig
Rig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to 7.1 on NewG? Mar. 1st, 2008 @ 02:10 PM Reply

At 3/1/08 01:56 PM, Rucklo wrote: finding a standard that everyone is pleased with seem to be the issue tho... i do not know what ppl use mostly today.

Stereo is by far the most common channel setup, haha. But I think 5.1 is the next most popular, then getting less popular as you add more speakers to the mix.

We have electroacoustic performances and shows at my uni. They set up a 12.2 configuration: right, left, and center in the very front (with two subs), then two pairs of speakers on either side of you, and right, left and center behind. That setup allows for pretty much any speaker configuration that you want, from 12.2 to mono. 8.1 is the most popular usage that I've seen.

But there really is no limit to the amount of speakers you can have. I've heard of a performance having over 300 speakers...the musician sat at a control panel and could send sounds to any individual speaker he wanted. It was a really popular show - and this was in the fifties!

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature
mariomusicmaker1
mariomusicmaker1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 10
Blank Slate
Response to 7.1 on NewG? Mar. 1st, 2008 @ 02:37 PM Reply

aw that is to bad, but great info any way, thanks a bunch :D

and i ran into a problem, every thing is going to the output 2 times and it is to loud and i have no idea how to fix it >.<.

I Stopped A Rape!!!
" If music is an art, let your car be the canvas, "

BBS Signature
shizeet
shizeet
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to 7.1 on NewG? Mar. 2nd, 2008 @ 07:11 AM Reply

At 3/1/08 02:37 PM, mariomusicmaker1 wrote: aw that is to bad, but great info any way, thanks a bunch :D

and i ran into a problem, every thing is going to the output 2 times and it is to loud and i have no idea how to fix it >.<.

You can always try to make virtualized 3d (matrixed) sound, if you know what I mean? I think a lot of programs let you convert a surround mix into virtual 3d stereo mix, though you may need to fiddle around to optimize it. These often require headphones for ideal listening too (the alternative being very precise positioning relative to speakers).

Actually, there's some pretty amazing stuff done with stereo imagery, especially Holophonics (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUDTlvag jJA), but it requires rather unconventional recording techniques, and I'm don't think there's a digital analog to replicate the position techniques to that level just yet.

Latest Sub(s): Kaleidoscinema