New Topic Respond to this Topic
Tiredguy
Tiredguy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
New Ng Audio Streaming Application 2008-02-25 17:29:26 Reply

I usually don't shamelessly promote my own stuff, but I think this new application would be helpful for everyone here at NG who's interested in the music from the portal, so I think you guys will really appreciate this one.

It basically takes the NGAP radio a step further by offering radio streams according to genre, artist, and more. I call it NG Soundstream.

Here's a link to the download page to get more info and to get a free copy for yourself:
http://www.everjourney.com/testflash/Sou ndstreamer.html

The reason it's not in the flash portal is because a lot of its functions require information from the NG website, which can't be accessed through flash apps that are on a remote server, but work just fine when the app is on your own pc. So it's only available as a download, which is partly why I feel the need to get the word out, and I think you guys will appreciate it.

Thanks for your time (and bbs space). Let me know what you think. Feedback is appreciated.

SolidElectro
SolidElectro
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 07
Blank Slate
Response to New Ng Audio Streaming Application 2008-02-25 17:35:58 Reply

Overall it is really cool, fast and swift.. But it lacks features here and there.. I mean have you ever heard of a music player were you couldnt see the song playing+ how long time theres left of it?
Furthermore, there should be a link to the authors profile, that you could click on while listening his/her song..

And did you just make it play the highest scoring songs.. Thats a little lame, but i cant see a better way :/ Newgrounds AP is still weak, very weak..

BBS Signature
Nav
Nav
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 17
Audiophile
Response to New Ng Audio Streaming Application 2008-02-25 17:40:31 Reply

I agree. First off, its "Drum N Bass", not "Drums and Bass". I think that you really should listen around a bit, there's a GIGANTIC difference.

My main problem with this versus the NGAP Radio is how pro and streamlined the NGAP Radio looks. Not to say that this doesn't work fine, but his looks a lot better, and was optimized to allow him to submit on the Flash Portal. That's one of the main problems. Half of the challenge (and fun) is coming up with clever workarounds to what the Flash Portal blocks. About the images, try to look at professional applications. Its all about smooth gradients, streamlined design, and Vectors.

Overall, this is a good concept, but it doesn't encourage finding underdogs, like the Radio does. Also, the top 50 are not always the best XD

Nice idea, and a nice base. Try to refine it and make it submittable!

Rig
Rig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to New Ng Audio Streaming Application 2008-02-25 17:50:56 Reply

There should be an option to listen to the highest-reviewed works - true underdogs have low scores but high reviews. Great start, though! :D

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature
Tiredguy
Tiredguy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to New Ng Audio Streaming Application 2008-02-25 17:53:00 Reply

First of all, yes it does show which song is playing when you expand the toolbar to the right.
Also, just to clarify, I can make the NGAP radio features work just fine in this app when it's accessed from a remote server, it's just the features that are different from NGAP that don't cooperate, and I'm pretty sure there aren't any workarounds unless I get permission from the server. The whole point of the app was to listen to music anyway, not to view it as an online flash movie, so I think downloading it is not too bad of an alternative. NGAP is also recommended to be downloaded to get all the features as well.

Also, I realize my design is totally different. I personally didn't like the compact style of NGAP, so I went for what I felt was a slightly more user-friendly GUI.

Thanks for the feedback and all the positive criticism. I hope I don't sound too closed-minded here in my first response.

Tiredguy
Tiredguy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to New Ng Audio Streaming Application 2008-11-29 17:13:51 Reply

Okay, I agree that it kinda sucked that the app could only play songs from the top 100 list in each genre, so I just added the option to play the second 100 songs, third 100, etc. in each genre.

I also realize that it wasn't a great idea to "hide" the song display on startup, so now it's expanded in full view on startup.

So yeah, check it out if you want (same link as above).

Also, if anyone has any more ideas on how to improve it, or if they want to help develop this, please feel free to contact me or post here. I'd certainly welcome some real programmers to this project, and if there is enough interest in developing it, I'd consider just making it an 'open source'-type app.