New Topic Respond to this Topic
Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2013-05-01 16:41:25 Reply

At 5/1/13 04:32 PM, ZJ wrote: New Review!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZcuxGRO1wQA&feature=youtu.be

Another episode like the Ikari Warriors one, you can tell James just sat down with Kaufman and they spouted whatever they felt like, and it makes for a very hit and miss episode. Some of the jokes were decent and some really, really fell flat. With this episode you could tell that James isn't the best improv actor, and also that Kaufman didn't really care. He was just messing around and letting James bounce off of all the jokes he made, some of which were good and some of which were pretty bad.

You can tell James is getting bored of AVGN because he keeps messing with it now, and I don't blame him. I'm hoping once this film comes out he'll be able to let the series die down and stick to only a few episodes a year so he can focus on what he obviously wants to be doing: making films.

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2013-05-02 11:02:43 Reply

Kaufman was a pretty great guest, he fit the nerd's style perfectly. Episode could've been a lot better though.

"I don't like facts. They get in the way of my opinions" -Kanye West
last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2013-05-02 15:46:40 Reply

At 5/2/13 12:10 PM, Travis wrote:
At 5/2/13 11:02 AM, Jackho wrote: Kaufman was a pretty great guest, he fit the nerd's style perfectly. Episode could've been a lot better though.
Really?

I thought the episode was just awkward and not really funny.

It had maybe 3 funny parts the entire time.

Special guests just don't work well unless it's like the glitch gremlin or some shit.

Should've been one of those random game videos like NES Golf, making it an avgn episode was a bad move.

BBS Signature
Darthdenim
Darthdenim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2013-05-03 04:29:35 Reply

I loved seeing Lloyd Kaufman there.

After all these years, that guy is still as batshit wacky as ever.

Darthdenim
Darthdenim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2013-05-03 04:36:48 Reply

All those people on Youtube referring to Kaufman as "that old guy."

Fucking philistines.

Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2013-05-03 04:44:34 Reply

At 5/3/13 04:36 AM, Darthdenim wrote: All those people on Youtube referring to Kaufman as "that old guy."

Fucking philistines.

What do you expect? Most of AVGN's Youtube fanbase are 12-year-olds.

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2013-05-03 04:58:18 Reply

At 5/1/13 04:41 PM, Oolaph wrote: Another episode like the Ikari Warriors one, you can tell James just sat down with Kaufman and they spouted whatever they felt like, and it makes for a very hit and miss episode. Some of the jokes were decent and some really, really fell flat. With this episode you could tell that James isn't the best improv actor, and also that Kaufman didn't really care. He was just messing around and letting James bounce off of all the jokes he made, some of which were good and some of which were pretty bad.

That's how I felt it myself. Some parts were funny, while some others were just annoying. The ending was pointless, not funny and kind of gross even by AVGN's standards.

You can tell James is getting bored of AVGN because he keeps messing with it now, and I don't blame him. I'm hoping once this film comes out he'll be able to let the series die down and stick to only a few episodes a year so he can focus on what he obviously wants to be doing: making films.

I don't think it's obvious that James is bored of the AVGN, he did release some fantastic reviews, if not some of his bests recently. The Ghouls And Goblins episode, for instance, was absolutely great! Atari Sports and Schwarzenegger Games were almost pretty good reviews.

He seems to like to do reviews, since he's also started the Board James series and makes a few videos with Mike in which they criticize or review various games, movies, toys, etc. What exactly makes you think he's tired of doing the Nerd?

Darthdenim
Darthdenim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2013-05-03 16:42:48 Reply

I'll be the first to admit that the AVGN has been kind of stale for a good while, but people hating on this episode because of the presence of Lloyd Kaufman just don't get it.

It's YOUR fault if you don't know who this guy is.

Get some culture, please.

HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2013-05-03 23:34:48 Reply

At 5/3/13 04:42 PM, Darthdenim wrote: I'll be the first to admit that the AVGN has been kind of stale for a good while, but people hating on this episode because of the presence of Lloyd Kaufman just don't get it.

It's YOUR fault if you don't know who this guy is.

I fail to see the connection between knowing the guy and liking the video.

Get some culture, please.

And once we've done that, are we allowed to dislike the video?

tyler2513
tyler2513
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2013-05-04 10:21:31 Reply

An interesting game, the parts where Kaufman dissed his own career were quite funny, he seems like quite a good guy but this episode just ended up being totally awkward. I wanted to hear AVGN talk about his experience watching the cartoons, movies or maybe even games or talk more about the history to it. I mean, I enjoy some of his rants and hearing him swearing about video games but I also really enjoy it when The Nerd basically gives lectures or history lessons like he did in the Swordquest review.

BBS Signature
Darthdenim
Darthdenim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2013-05-04 14:04:55 Reply

At 5/1/13 04:41 PM, Oolaph wrote:

That's kind of the tragedy of guys like AVGN. They have legions of fanboys who don't want them to do anything but what they've always been doing,

Doug Walker had to bring Nostalgia Critic back because his fans would not accept Demo Reel as a replacement show.

I know he said that he brought NC back because he was suddenly inspired, but I don't buy it. He put A LOT of work into it. He even bought a studio.

Also, ever since NC has been back, he's been taking a lot of shots at his own fanbase in the videos.

Like this one.

I think he's really bitter about it.

Darthdenim
Darthdenim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2013-05-04 14:19:12 Reply

At 5/4/13 02:04 PM, Darthdenim wrote:

Also, ever since NC has been back, he's been taking a lot of shots at his own fanbase in the videos.

Not that I would begrudge him if he did hate his own fanbase.

If I spawned something that attracted fanboys like this, I'd have to ask myself "What the fuck have I wrought?".

HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2013-05-04 17:28:59 Reply

At 5/4/13 02:04 PM, Darthdenim wrote: That's kind of the tragedy of guys like AVGN. They have legions of fanboys who don't want them to do anything but what they've always been doing,

Are you kidding us? Most of the guys in the club here have followed the nerd throughout his whole career. His style has evolved a lot since the day he first started, and we've always liked his work.

We can dislike some of his work without being fanboys. Stop jumping to conclusions dude. If you can't debate without resorting to ad hominem arguments, just stop debatting.

I'm not denying that fans can take very badly any kind of change in the direction of the show, but you can't simply jump to the conclusion that we're all fanboys who "just don't get it". The AVGN has made a few episodes with guests, and most of them were great! Can't you understand that some people might dislike the direction he's taken in that video?

Darthdenim
Darthdenim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2013-05-04 21:41:16 Reply

At 5/4/13 05:28 PM, HeavenDuff wrote:
Are you kidding us? Most of the guys in the club here have followed the nerd throughout his whole career. His style has evolved a lot since the day he first started, and we've always liked his work.

I'm not talking about you. I'm talking about the vocal minority who always says "What is this crap? I don't care about old horror movies! When is the next Nerd video? That's why you have a fanbase in the first place!"

Those people.

HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2013-05-04 21:54:35 Reply

At 5/4/13 09:41 PM, Darthdenim wrote: I'm not talking about you. I'm talking about the vocal minority who always says "What is this crap? I don't care about old horror movies! When is the next Nerd video? That's why you have a fanbase in the first place!"

Oh... I really thought you were answering the posts of the guys in the club here.

Those people.

Yeah well, these people have no kind of consideration for the artist's work, and for the individual behind the character. If someone who brings you joy and entertainment feels like working on other projects he likes, you can't act like a spoiled brat and whine like a little bitch that he isn't doing what he should be doing. You're right.

tyler2513
tyler2513
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2013-05-05 11:01:27 Reply

OK guys, The Nerd's got over a hundred of these episodes, there's bound to be a few that we're not very fond of or maybe even plain dislike. But it doesn't mean you hate him, and if you like a couple of the generally hated ones then it doesn't mean your a super hardcore fanboy. But it's perfectly natural for there to be at least a few misses amongst all the hits, James likes experimenting so he's not expecting them all to be perfectly fitted with the fans.

BBS Signature
Darthdenim
Darthdenim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2013-05-05 14:21:10 Reply

I don't know what's going on in their heads, but I get the impression that James Rolfe and Doug Walker feel trapped by these roles. Like they don't know how to break out of them and do different things.

It kind of takes the fun out of the whole thing.

HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2013-05-10 02:24:44 Reply

At 5/5/13 11:01 AM, tyler2513 wrote: OK guys, The Nerd's got over a hundred of these episodes, there's bound to be a few that we're not very fond of or maybe even plain dislike. But it doesn't mean you hate him, and if you like a couple of the generally hated ones then it doesn't mean your a super hardcore fanboy. But it's perfectly natural for there to be at least a few misses amongst all the hits, James likes experimenting so he's not expecting them all to be perfectly fitted with the fans.

I'm kind of happy he did that video. The greatest of all artists have to experiment, play around, try different stuff. The experimentation is what makes the art great. I might not really enjoy the video, but I'm pretty sure a lot of the AVGN's fans have enjoyed it for the diversity it brings to the AVGN's portfolio.

I wouldn't even consider it as a miss. It was less scripted than the usual AVGN movies, it left place for some improvisation and the result isn't half-bad. Of course, some of the jokes end up being corny or flat-out unfunny. But some good ones came out of the process the same way. I'm happy he did the video :)

ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2013-06-05 13:31:56 Reply

James reviewed the Super Mario Bros. Movie.

Pretty good.

Sig by Luis - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2013-07-01 19:44:06 Reply

Good episode. Classic style.

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2013-07-01 23:57:34 Reply

At 7/1/13 07:44 PM, Jackho wrote: Good episode. Classic style.

That Bill And Ted episode? I'll have to watch it guess.

tyler2513
tyler2513
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2013-07-02 12:14:05 Reply

At 7/1/13 11:57 PM, HeavenDuff wrote:
At 7/1/13 07:44 PM, Jackho wrote: Good episode. Classic style.
That Bill And Ted episode? I'll have to watch it guess.

It felt a little bit more like his older episodes than the past few ones have. I enjoyed it.

BBS Signature
Darthdenim
Darthdenim
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2013-07-02 12:23:52 Reply

The Bill and Ted episode was pretty good.

He left out all the ancillary crap and just talked about the game.

Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 56
Writer
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2013-07-02 13:32:45 Reply

At 7/2/13 12:23 PM, Darthdenim wrote: The Bill and Ted episode was pretty good.

I just watched the episode and it's in fact pretty good. You can tell that he enjoyed doing this reviews. And boy, that game looks horrible.

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38 || Review Request Club || NG Logs || METAL-ABC (Last update: 04. March 2012)

HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2013-07-03 04:35:58 Reply

At 7/2/13 01:32 PM, Haggard wrote:
At 7/2/13 12:23 PM, Darthdenim wrote: The Bill and Ted episode was pretty good.
I just watched the episode and it's in fact pretty good. You can tell that he enjoyed doing this reviews. And boy, that game looks horrible.

LJN's sense of humor makes it particularly painful...

Jolly
Jolly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Programmer
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2013-07-07 21:26:14 Reply

The rant at the end felt really forced. The game was bad, but I don't think it looked THAT bad.

HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Melancholy
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2013-09-07 04:07:56 Reply

The newest episode just came out, and I think it's awesome! Going back to the Tiger handheld games was a bright idea :) Go watch it!