New Topic Respond to this Topic
Dean
Dean
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 45
Gamer
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! Jul. 25th, 2012 @ 11:49 AM Reply

At 7/25/12 11:11 AM, SineRider wrote: I liked how it was back to basics, no over the top skits or anything.

I'm still undecided on whether I prefer his more basic videos or the fancy ones. Sometimes the extras can be pretty amusing to watch and other times they're pretty meh.

I'm really eager to see what the film will be like.

BBS + Chat Moderator - Feel free to send me a PM if you have a problem!
Want to instant message me? [ Skype - DeanNewgrounds ]

BBS Signature
Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Writer
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! Jul. 25th, 2012 @ 11:50 AM Reply

At 7/25/12 11:11 AM, SineRider wrote:
At 7/25/12 06:56 AM, Bahamut wrote: Oh yeah, his show is more deserving to be on TV than most of the trash on there. That saying, I felt this episode wasn't really worth the wait. It was good but not a fantastic addition. The way he put more time into the Predator review made the others feel a little rushed.
I liked how it was back to basics, no over the top skits or anything.

This. Just the nerd and the games. This is the way it should be. I liked however, when he played Battletoads with Kyle. That was a good show as well.

Anyway. The newest episode is nice. Nothing more, nothing less. I think the style has changed a bit, or maybe it's the narration. Might be the influence of the movie. He just made.
If he can keep this standard, I will be happy.

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38 || Review Request Club || NG Logs || METAL-ABC (Last update: 04. March 2012)

HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! Aug. 14th, 2012 @ 07:13 PM Reply

SNES vs Sega Genesis (Part 1)

What do you guys think ?

SineRider
SineRider
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! Aug. 14th, 2012 @ 09:28 PM Reply

At 8/14/12 07:13 PM, HeavenDuff wrote: SNES vs Sega Genesis (Part 1)

What do you guys think ?

Watched it last night and really enjoyed it. It was amusing how he was making fun of his old video as well

Cosmic
Cosmic
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 08
Artist
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! Aug. 14th, 2012 @ 09:32 PM Reply

What do you guys think ?

I thought it was great, Its always fun to watch an AVGN video. I loved him making fun of his past self.

BBS Signature
tyler2513
tyler2513
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! Aug. 21st, 2012 @ 08:32 PM Reply

At 8/14/12 09:28 PM, SineRider wrote:

What do you guys think ?
Watched it last night and really enjoyed it. It was amusing how he was making fun of his old video as well

I laughed my ass off when he made his own Sega Genesis commercial. That was just so damn hilarious. Also, RESOLUAYSHUN?!

BBS Signature
Ragnarokia
Ragnarokia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 22
Writer
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! Aug. 22nd, 2012 @ 08:39 AM Reply

The taking the piss out of his past self videos is very good imo, few people would be comfortable doing that but it is good to keep seeing how he always loved making videos and became better at it as time passed.

The "Do you know what's bullshit? Grass" video is very amusing, being very literal with that video.

Thought I'd just post to mention I also love all his videos, very entertaining to watch multiple times at random points to cheer up.

When this post hits 88 mph, you're going to see some serious friendship.
Let's Player, Artist, Pony writer, Cuteness!

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Writer
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! Oct. 24th, 2012 @ 05:45 AM Reply

At 10/24/12 04:01 AM, HeavenDuff wrote: Ghosts N' Goblins - AVGN newest episode :)

Very nice episode. And so much better than Chris' take on this game. :D

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38 || Review Request Club || NG Logs || METAL-ABC (Last update: 04. March 2012)

Jolly
Jolly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Programmer
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! Nov. 9th, 2012 @ 11:08 PM Reply

Movie Trailer

It doesn't look very good, in my opinion.

SineRider
SineRider
  • Online!
Forum Stats
Level 18
Musician
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! Nov. 9th, 2012 @ 11:38 PM Reply

At 11/9/12 11:08 PM, Jolly wrote: Movie Trailer

I think it looks like it'll be a fun movie. But my god, the comments are awful.

ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! Nov. 10th, 2012 @ 03:20 AM Reply

At 10/24/12 04:01 AM, HeavenDuff wrote: Ghosts N' Goblins - AVGN newest episode :)

Pretty good! I'm really liking his longer videos that he's been dishing out lately. Plus the Final Fantasy Battle at the end was funny.

Were you expecting Citizen Kane or something? It's not like The Nerd was going to go on an adventure that looked just like a million dollar Hollywood flick...

Sig by FB - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, & Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo.com & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! Nov. 10th, 2012 @ 03:47 AM Reply

There is way too much stuff in that trailer. I don't like getting the movie told to me in a fucking two minutes trailer...

Jolly
Jolly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Programmer
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! Nov. 10th, 2012 @ 04:44 AM Reply

At 11/10/12 03:20 AM, ZJ wrote:

Were you expecting Citizen Kane or something? It's not like The Nerd was going to go on an adventure that looked just like a million dollar Hollywood flick...

It just seems like another typical crappy youtube movie/tv show, like freddiew's video game high school. The random new friends of his seem obnoxious, the acting is bad, and it seems really cheesy.

"C'mon man, don't break the code. Nerds before birds"

I wasn't ever expecting it to be good. I like AVGN for the game reviews. As soon as I heard he was looking for filming locations and asking for donations on indiegogo I stopped looking forward to the movie. When I first heard about the AVGN movie I was hoping it'd just be a 40~ min game review. (But like his other videos with other things thrown into the reviews)

Honestly though, I don't see any other way it could have been made. Really, how are you going to make a full length film as the Angry Video Game Nerd? I don't think it's possible without it being really cheesy. Which is why I think it would be better if he didn't do it. AVGN just doesn't work as a full length movie, in my opinion at least.

If you like cheesy movies like that then it might be good, but the movie doesn't look good to me at all. I'll probably at the very least try to watch it because I really like James Rolfe, but I'll being going into it with low expectations.

Sorry if I'm being overly harsh about it. When it comes to movies I usually only watch really serious stuff. I rarely even watch comedy movies. Movies like that just don't appeal to me. If the movie were only 30 minutes I'd feel completely differently about it.. but I don't enjoy watching cheesy comedies with bad acting for an hour and a half.

TL;DR: I take movies too seriously.

Jolly
Jolly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Programmer
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! Nov. 10th, 2012 @ 05:04 AM Reply

I think it'd be really cool if James made a full length horror film with a decent budget like the AVGN Movies budget. (Around $300k)

I think it's cool that he's finally gotten to make a film with a pretty high budget, actors, etc though.

A high budget for his standards.
HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! Nov. 10th, 2012 @ 06:31 AM Reply

At 11/10/12 04:44 AM, Jolly wrote: Honestly though, I don't see any other way it could have been made. Really, how are you going to make a full length film as the Angry Video Game Nerd? I don't think it's possible without it being really cheesy. Which is why I think it would be better if he didn't do it. AVGN just doesn't work as a full length movie, in my opinion at least.

I tend to agree with you. The Angry Video Game Nerd is not a caracter you can rely develop beyond what has already been seen in the video game reviews. The caracter also really isn't supposed to have some kind of social life and doesn't seem to go out a lot. In the trailer, you seem him working at some kind of video game store or something, and all of a sudden his "fans" come in and ask him to review ET. But... to me, the nerd isn't "making reviews for real". Except for the first reviews, there are varied camera angles and action scenes that are not "recorded by the caracter himself". For some reason, with the Ghosts And Goblins video and with some other recent videos, the nerd has kind of fusioned with James Rolfe. In the Ghosts And Goblins review, he talks about a convention where he meet fans who asked him to review the game. But... the nerd doesn't go to conventions... James Rolfe does... I know he "plays the nerd" every one in a while in conventions. But the nerd "in his world" isn't a superstar...

Also... I don't like how there are so many caracters, very developped relationships between the nerd and other caracters and a cheesy storyline.

I think the movie will denature the caracter and what we love so much about it...

If you like cheesy movies like that then it might be good, but the movie doesn't look good to me at all. I'll probably at the very least try to watch it because I really like James Rolfe, but I'll being going into it with low expectations.

I will watch it, but I really do not have much expectations either. I hope it will be decent at least, but I'm not hoping for "the best avgn material ever"...

Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Writer
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! Nov. 10th, 2012 @ 08:35 AM Reply

At 11/10/12 06:31 AM, HeavenDuff wrote: Also... I don't like how there are so many caracters, very developped relationships between the nerd and other caracters and a cheesy storyline.

Yeah, because movies with only one character are so much better...

Seriously, though. Will this movie be any good? I don't know. It could be a pretty decent road movie. But it could be a huge pile of shit as well.

But putting the movie down, because it has "too many characters"? Come on...

Jolly
Jolly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Programmer
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! Nov. 10th, 2012 @ 03:36 PM Reply

At 11/10/12 03:24 PM, Travis wrote: With a budget so low, I'm not expecting great things. I'm just looking to be entertained.

And this looks very entertaining.

I prefer his normal videos with almost no budget to this. His regular videos appear to be much higher quality than the movie.

HeavenDuff
HeavenDuff
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 36
Melancholy
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! Nov. 10th, 2012 @ 04:02 PM Reply

At 11/10/12 08:35 AM, Haggard wrote: Yeah, because movies with only one character are so much better...

Yeah well that's the point. The nerd isn't supposed to share the stage with other caracters. In video game reviews he is alone and barely even tolerates the presence of other caracters. He is a loner and has been for the last eight years or so. And yes, you can have movies or plays with very little caracters and it can still be good.

Seriously, though. Will this movie be any good? I don't know. It could be a pretty decent road movie. But it could be a huge pile of shit as well.

But putting the movie down, because it has "too many characters"? Come on...

Good misinterpretetion of my post right there.

Jackho
Jackho
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! Nov. 10th, 2012 @ 06:11 PM Reply

I thought it showed too much but I'm definitely excited after that trailer. Not sure what people were expecting.

last.fm / letterboxd / backloggery / mal / follow me if you think you can handle it

BBS Signature
EclecticEnnui
EclecticEnnui
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 14
Filmmaker
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! Nov. 10th, 2012 @ 09:56 PM Reply

I'm impressed with the new trailer. It has a B or C movie charm to it. It's well-edited, well-shot, has appropriate acting, and it's amusing. The ending of the AVGN vomiting is particularly funny. I could nitpick what I didn't like, but I'm not going to. Now, of course, this is just a trailer and not the whole movie. I don't think it's fair to highly compare the two. An unlikable movie can have a likable trailer and vice-versa. You have to also consider the differences in running times and editing. The best way to judge a movie is to obviously see it yourself, if you want to. I obviously don't know how much this trailer gave away, but I don't think any casual viewer does. We don't know how the movie develops itself and how much the character is similar to the show. Is James even playing just the character or is he playing both himself and the character? I don't know yet. I would like to see the movie, but I dunno for sure if it'll be enjoyable or not.

BBS Signature
tyler2513
tyler2513
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 31
Gamer
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! Nov. 11th, 2012 @ 08:46 PM Reply

I really don't care if the movie looks bad or is below people's expectations, I just want it to stick to the same style humour we see all the time in his regular videos and I'll be blown away. This movie looks awesome!!

BBS Signature
Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Audiophile
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! Dec. 17th, 2012 @ 08:09 AM Reply

At 12/17/12 01:46 AM, Austerity wrote: When is this thing finally coming out?

James said next Summer but did warn everyone that the process of finishing up everything can take a while. At least for now there's no set date so we know that he's unsure when it's ready until he gets nearer until completion.

[ BBS / Icon / Portal Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ]
Formerly Bahamut

ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! Dec. 18th, 2012 @ 01:49 AM Reply

New Nerd Video:

Atari Sports

Sig by FB - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, & Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo.com & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
Oolaph
Oolaph
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 21
Audiophile
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! Dec. 18th, 2012 @ 03:23 AM Reply

At 12/18/12 01:49 AM, ZJ wrote: New Nerd Video:

Atari Sports

Is it just me, or does this not really feel like a nerd video?

It feels more like the "looking back at ____" videos he's been doing lately , but with a white shirt and a bit more swearing thrown in to sell it as a nerd episode.

Movie of the Week: Angel's Egg (1985)

BBS Signature
Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Writer
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! Dec. 18th, 2012 @ 04:58 AM Reply

At 12/18/12 03:23 AM, Oolaph wrote:
At 12/18/12 01:49 AM, ZJ wrote: New Nerd Video:

Atari Sports
Is it just me, or does this not really feel like a nerd video?

It feels more like the "looking back at ____" videos he's been doing lately , but with a white shirt and a bit more swearing thrown in to sell it as a nerd episode.

It had the Nerd character, the Nerd was playing shitty games and the Nerd was swearing. That's a classic "nerd" episode for me.

Maybe not as good as maybe the Turtles or other episodes, but I got a good laugh out of the naked batter in that one baseball game.

Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Audiophile
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! Dec. 18th, 2012 @ 08:33 AM Reply

At 12/18/12 03:23 AM, Oolaph wrote: Is it just me, or does this not really feel like a nerd video?

So it wasn't just me. I don't mind him trying different things but there was something that made this unlike the majority of his episodes. Perhaps it's not easy to go in-depth but I feel he was just racing through most of the stuff. Still, I'll give him credit for trying out something different for the Nerd episodes.

Formerly Bahamut

Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 57
Audiophile
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! Dec. 21st, 2012 @ 09:15 AM Reply

At 12/21/12 06:35 AM, Austerity wrote: I would have much rather had him release a new episode every other week than do this movie, and hopefully he does so again after he releases the film.

I think a monthly basis is more suited to him. There was a time when he had a burnout from his schedule so he reduced it and I feel once a month is more suited for his videos nowadays.

Formerly Bahamut

Jolly
Jolly
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Programmer
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! Jan. 8th, 2013 @ 02:21 AM Reply

"This account has been terminated due to repeated or severe violations of our Terms of Service."

I'm sure they'll undo it.. but it's understandable. He did have a lot of copyright material on his channel.

Haggard
Haggard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 55
Writer
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! Jan. 8th, 2013 @ 03:33 AM Reply

At 1/8/13 02:21 AM, Jolly wrote: "This account has been terminated due to repeated or severe violations of our Terms of Service."

I'm sure they'll undo it.. but it's understandable. He did have a lot of copyright material on his channel.

"You know what's BUUUUUUULLLLLLShit?"
This really sucks. But maybe he won't do anything about it, since he has his own site to present his show. The youtube channel was more like a service to the fans, since many people still watched new episodes on there.