00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

xrusteater0 just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

The Avgn Fan Club!

132,510 Views | 920 Replies
New Topic Respond to this Topic

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2011-03-06 05:35:56

I just discovered this and Im in so it must be time for shitty games

One truth Prevails

BBS Signature

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2011-03-06 06:04:33

Best part you guys say?

Haha! I loved when he told Rob to be the first player, just to start doing the robot moves. It was awesome :)

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2011-03-06 07:54:15

At 3/6/11 06:04 AM, HeavenDuff wrote: Best part you guys say?

One part I had to laugh at was the nerd cooking a gyro.

Haha! I loved when he told Rob to be the first player, just to start doing the robot moves. It was awesome :)

Yeah, that's another favourite part of mine.

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2011-03-06 08:53:55

This episode was kinda like the SMB3/The Wizard review. It wasn't REALLY funny (except for the gyro and ROB asking to be the first player, that was hilarious), but it was just epic.

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2011-03-09 08:34:18

The review wasn't very good. The whole "rob is evil" idea has already been used by Awesome video games and the IRate gamer a long time ago.

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2011-03-12 18:56:58

I really liked this one, not gonna lie. It was epic, it was unexpected, it referred to the crash in 1983 just as I was starting a storyline in a role-playing chat where those events take center stage. I'm a dork for backstory and gaming history, so any reference to those events will get my interest. Epic battle between giant versions of NES-suit Nerd and ROB, fade out showing the very first game reviewed, I really liked the way this one went.

But now he's just being a fucking tease with ET. I get why he doesn't just out and do it, everyone from Spoony on down has reviewed ET by this point, but unless he's trying to cause advance hype for a review that he has planned but not made yet, it seems strange that he's showing ET so much and referring to the Crash.

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2011-04-04 17:04:16

Anyone know if James has a job?
Like, a normal job, or does he get all of his money from Cinemassacre?

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2011-04-04 17:07:57

At 4/4/11 05:04 PM, SpiderTaco wrote: Anyone know if James has a job?
Like, a normal job, or does he get all of his money from Cinemassacre?

From what I know, his main income is from the videos he makes. Same goes for That Guy With the Glasses, Linkara and a few others. I don't know how much they get for their videos but I'm sure they get enough to live on. Otherwise, they'd be quite infrequent with making new videos.

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2011-04-04 19:42:00

At 4/4/11 05:07 PM, Bahamut wrote: From what I know, his main income is from the videos he makes. Same goes for That Guy With the Glasses, Linkara and a few others. I don't know how much they get for their videos but I'm sure they get enough to live on. Otherwise, they'd be quite infrequent with making new videos.

Thats awesome.
Wish I could get money from that

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2011-04-04 20:38:44

At 4/4/11 05:07 PM, Bahamut wrote:
From what I know, his main income is from the videos he makes. Same goes for That Guy With the Glasses, Linkara and a few others. I don't know how much they get for their videos but I'm sure they get enough to live on. Otherwise, they'd be quite infrequent with making new videos.

TGWTG.com makes 150,000 dollars a year in revenue according to Entrepreneur. So judging from James's popularity, he probably earns enough to live rather comfortably. Not bad for just talking about video games. I would love to have a movie collection the size of his.

I am a new terror born in death, a new superstition entering the unassailable fortress of forever. I am legend.

BBS Signature

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2011-04-04 23:52:26

At 4/4/11 07:42 PM, SpiderTaco wrote:
At 4/4/11 05:07 PM, Bahamut wrote: From what I know, his main income is from the videos he makes. Same goes for That Guy With the Glasses, Linkara and a few others. I don't know how much they get for their videos but I'm sure they get enough to live on. Otherwise, they'd be quite infrequent with making new videos.
Thats awesome.
Wish I could get money from that

The tough part, is that when you start, you don't get paid for it, and you don't get any money to help you do the videos. So at first, it's unprofitable. So you really need to enjoy doing what you do, cause to do the first videos, most of the times, you loose more than you gain, in terms of money.

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2011-04-05 07:30:17

At 4/4/11 08:38 PM, boloneyman wrote: TGWTG.com makes 150,000 dollars a year in revenue according to Entrepreneur. So judging from James's popularity, he probably earns enough to live rather comfortably. Not bad for just talking about video games. I would love to have a movie collection the size of his.

It's no surprise TGWTG.com can earn so much money with the extreme popularity of some of the members as well as the amount of members they've picked up. Some may not like the fact that Doug, Linkara and a few others gain money from their videos on the internet but for an economic crisis we're in right now, it's actually a good thing to find an alternative that keeps you on a "wage" you can live on.

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2011-04-05 09:04:26

Oh fucking crap, how could i not have seen this thread before?
I have followed that man since late 07 and he is an amazing man!
Sign me up!

Some signature thingy here!

Sig by Cagedsilhouette :3

Join me in the feilds of justice.

BBS Signature

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2011-04-05 16:54:30

Am I the only one that amazingly excited for "Turtle Tuesdays"?

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2011-04-05 17:08:12

At 4/5/11 04:54 PM, Oolaph wrote: Am I the only one that amazingly excited for "Turtle Tuesdays"?

I was never a big fan of TMNT so I won't have much interest in Turtle Tuesdays. That doesn't mean I'm annoyed at the temporary break for AVGN because I feel James is desperate for one and would like to focus on other things so this is actually a good thing, just not something I'll keen on.

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2011-04-07 01:08:53

Spielberg Games

Got to watch this one, guys :)

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2011-04-07 01:29:38

Just watched Episode 101. OH THE SUSPENSE.

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2011-04-07 21:21:24

Spielberg games. Oh, God, he's talking about Spielberg games. All right, we all know what we were thinking the moment we saw that on the GT front page or wherever. But let's not phone home just yet, because there's more to this review than just you-know-what.

All right, first came the Jaws game. What's to say but three letters? It's an LJN game. It's really not likely to be much good. At this point, getting mad at LJN for publishing bad games is like getting mad at a monkey for using its own solid waste as a projectile weapon.

Short bit showing him with a box full of Spielberg games. First one he pulls out scares the crap out of him, because it is the Destroyer. The One Game to Out-suck Them All. He throws it to the floor and pulls out the Hook game, which is just a crappy platformer.

A short look at you-know-what again before the Jurrassic Park games. He did the Jurassic Park NES game. What he didn't mention was its port on the Game Boy, which I used to have, though I don't know what became of it. I didn't think it was so bad way back when, but then again, last time I remember seeing it was when I was something like 10 or 11, so what did I know about games? There were also a lot of others: two Genesis games, two SNES games, a Sega CD game, and a 3DO game which was total crap. Jurassic Park was pretty popular, wasn't it? All those game adaptations show it.

Then some weird European maze game. With "ET Go Come" or something on the cover. Yeah, I don't get it either. Really has nothing to do with Spielberg aside from the ET reference in the artwork. Probably just James being a total ETease again. This game is less a question of "How bad is it?" and more a question of "Holy shit, what's up with that artwork?!"

Speaking of ET... The Movie. Oh yeah. You know, I probably couldn't think of a better way for him to do the big, long-requested review. Though I think he's overstating how bad ET is. I mean, its horrors are more in its historical significance than in the gameplay itself. I've played it, and while it's not a good game, it's got a reputation as an eldritch abomination in cartridge form that it doesn't deserve. Still, any game that nearly destroyed the industry on a continent by being diarrhea, that's gotta be worth a movie, right?

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2011-04-08 00:06:16

I actually wished that he would have put in the E.T cartridge, played it for a few seconds, then declared something like " Well, this isn't so bad" and move on to the next game.

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2011-04-08 00:40:35

At 4/7/11 09:43 PM, Blaze-Heatnix wrote: E.T. has been rated the worst game of all time by hundreds of game websites, was a huge factor in the 1983 crash, and had so many cartridges returned that Atari dumped them all in Mexico.

Not to mention, it's his most-requested review. OF COURSE he's going to exaggerate it. Whether it deserves it or not, I would do it too. It's simply not an option to do a calm "well here we go, what a shitload of fuck" review.

OK, yeah, I guess it is kinda crappy. It did a lot more damage than a single game ever should have done, and just as the Nerd is making his movie, I'm going through a story in a roleplay chat where one of the characters has a massive fear of ET because of that game and the Crash. And I guess you're right, it makes sense to exaggerate how bad it was. He did it when reviewing relatively good games (Castlevania II, Zelda II), so while some bad games are bad enough he doesn't need to exaggerate, with the status of this game as a sort of ultimate horror of gaming, it went all the way back to where exaggeration was needed.

At 4/8/11 12:06 AM, DeIirium wrote: I actually wished that he would have put in the E.T cartridge, played it for a few seconds, then declared something like " Well, this isn't so bad" and move on to the next game.

That would be a total cop-out though, and would end in a lot of stupid fanboy bitching. Being a rather bitchy fanboy myself, I might even have joined in if he'd done that.

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2011-04-08 02:58:57

At 4/7/11 09:21 PM, SoulMaster71 wrote: Then some weird European maze game. With "ET Go Come" or something on the cover.

The game is called "UFI und sein gefährlicher Einsatz", which means "UFI and his dangerous mission". I really wonder who "UFI" is and why his or her name is in all caps.
"ET Go Come" propably should've read "ET go home", but that doesn't make too much sense either.

I enjoyed this episode, the review for Jaws was pretty good. I know some people who always complain that James doesn't show enough game footage. Well, he showed quite a lot footage from Jaws, so no one can complain about that.

The Jurrasic Park part went on for too long, I think. But well, there are so many Jurassic Park based games and he tried to cover a good amount of consoles, so not too much opportunity to cut some of the games out, I guess.

The UFI-game is a german game, judging from the title, which means it's propably a PAL (Phase Alternating Line = the TV encoding system used in great parts of Europe) game. I guess that's why it wouldn't work on one of the TVs, because in the USA you use the NTSC format, which is a bit different.

Anyway: I hate cliff hangers. Now I have to wait for quite some time to see the review for E.T. ... :(

Surf Nazis must die! || Wi/Ht? #38

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2011-04-08 11:47:09

At 4/8/11 12:40 AM, SoulMaster71 wrote:
At 4/8/11 12:06 AM, DeIirium wrote: I actually wished that he would have put in the E.T cartridge, played it for a few seconds, then declared something like " Well, this isn't so bad" and move on to the next game.
That would be a total cop-out though, and would end in a lot of stupid fanboy bitching. Being a rather bitchy fanboy myself, I might even have joined in if he'd done that.

Actually, I think it would have been a laugh if he did that and then kept remembering the game later on. Still, probably not a good idea to make tons of fanboys mad and I already see enough bitching from TGWTG fans.

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2011-05-07 12:43:42

At 5/7/11 07:01 AM, AngryBombshell wrote: Since this club has seem to have gone to shit, I'll bring AVGN's review on Wayne's World to your attention.

Well, this club is to be expected to be very slow for a while considering the break for the main show. I haven't watched anything from James Rolfe for a month except for the latest You Know What's Bullshit episode. This is one where I partially disagree with since the first issue he had with packages I've never experienced despite ordering hundreds of stuff online.

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2011-05-08 21:33:46

At 5/7/11 07:01 AM, AngryBombshell wrote: Since this club has seem to have gone to shit, I'll bring AVGN's review on Wayne's World to your attention.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cWGZkK-K sY

lol, this wasn't even on the main list of topics.

God, I hate shitty NES games from the 90s. You would think by that point in the console's lifespan, people could make decent games for the system...

Sig by BlueHippo - AMA

Formerly PuddinN64 - BBS, Icon, and Portal Mod

"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2011-06-01 19:06:48

Update on the movie:
http://cinemassacre.com/2011/06/01/avgn-
message/

If you're too lazy to watch it, he says it may be several years until the movie's out but he will keep making Nerd episodes until then. He has a tighter schedule now though, so they will be much shorter and shittier than the recent episodes, think 2006-2007 quality videos.

I'm not sure what to think of this. He needs to keep people interested in the Nerd because if it does end up taking six years to make the movie he will have faded away by then and nobody but the biggest fans will really give a shit. On the other hand he has already been getting stale and 102 episodes is more than enough. I don't know how much more Shitloads of Fuck we can go through before people really start to get sick of him.

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2011-06-01 22:25:19

At 6/1/11 07:06 PM, Jackho wrote: think 2006-2007 quality videos.

It said 2008, which are actually better than 2006-'07, so it's not quite as bad.

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2011-06-02 07:01:37

At 6/1/11 10:25 PM, Oolaph wrote:
At 6/1/11 07:06 PM, Jackho wrote: think 2006-2007 quality videos.
It said 2008, which are actually better than 2006-'07, so it's not quite as bad.

It said 2006. Which I think is what made the nerd big in the first place, so it's no bad news for me. I don't like the episodes where he has a shitload of things happening around him (like beating up Roger Rabbit, etc.) and not showing that much game footage at all.

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2011-06-02 10:51:40

At 6/1/11 07:06 PM, Jackho wrote: I'm not sure what to think of this. He needs to keep people interested in the Nerd because if it does end up taking six years to make the movie he will have faded away by then and nobody but the biggest fans will really give a shit.

Wait, six years? I know it can take a long time to make a film but that seems off. I'd be surprised if the show is still going around by then.

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2011-06-02 11:45:42

At 6/2/11 10:51 AM, Bahamut wrote:
At 6/1/11 07:06 PM, Jackho wrote: I'm not sure what to think of this. He needs to keep people interested in the Nerd because if it does end up taking six years to make the movie he will have faded away by then and nobody but the biggest fans will really give a shit.
Wait, six years? I know it can take a long time to make a film but that seems off. I'd be surprised if the show is still going around by then.

He said that he knows somebody who's been making a film for six years, he said that his own film probably won't take that long. He just said that its going to take a while.

Response to The Avgn Fan Club! 2011-06-04 05:42:34

At 6/2/11 11:45 AM, DeIirium wrote:
At 6/2/11 10:51 AM, Bahamut wrote:
He said that he knows somebody who's been making a film for six years, he said that his own film probably won't take that long. He just said that its going to take a while.

Yeah, also he didn't mean "six years from now". He already started making the film (writing the script started a few years ago). Also "making a film for six years" doesn't only including shooting the scenes and post production, but I think it also includes the script writing from the very very beginning.