New Topic Respond to this Topic
Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Audiophile
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! Feb. 9th, 2010 @ 12:01 PM Reply

At 2/4/10 08:21 PM, KittyKrew-Moderator wrote: Maybe he's beginning the hype for an Episode 100 review of ET!
...Nah, too predictable.

He's got to review it sooner or later and what better game could you review for the 100th episode besides Action 52 and Big Rigs? :P

At 2/9/10 09:47 AM, puddinN64 wrote: James posted something interesting on his site:

I don't blame him. He puts so much effort into getting these videos done and he's had to make two episodes for almost every month since he moved to Gametrailers. This will help him a lot to focus on real life as well as other projects.

His slower pace with AVGN episodes makes me wonder how long Linkara and Nostalgia Critic can keep up with their weekly videos. Sure, they're only reading/watching whatever they're reviewing and not playing a game but it's still a lot of work to make sure you've got the review done in time. Surely they want to take a short break from all of this once in a while.

[ BBS / Icon / Portal Möd ] - [ Facebook - Twitter ]
Formerly Bahamut

bugsbunny2600
bugsbunny2600
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! Feb. 9th, 2010 @ 05:58 PM Reply

It's a lot easier for someone like the nostalgia critic to do videos because all he's doing is talking over movies. Game reviews are obviously a lot harder to make.

I think this decision is good, because it'll give him time to make the episodes as good as they should be. Instead of just shitting them out. It's the right move.

ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! Feb. 13th, 2010 @ 02:46 AM Reply

Saw American Movie like James suggested.

It was entertaining, but I didn't find it as entertaining as he had made it out to be. Am I a bad person?

Sig by Some Guy - AMA
Formerly PuddinN64 - Portal, BBS, Icon, and Chat Mod
"Your friends love you anyway" - Check out WhatTheDo & Guinea Something Good!

BBS Signature
boloneyman
boloneyman
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Blank Slate
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! Feb. 18th, 2010 @ 09:22 AM Reply

Swordquest

Not a traditional review, more of a history lesson, but that is what I enjoy about the Nerd's videos. I wasn't around back then, so there would be no way I would learn about this awesome contest. It is a shame they didn't finish it. The orchestral Nerd Theme was awesome too.

I am a new terror born in death, a new superstition entering the unassailable fortress of forever. I am legend.

BBS Signature
Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Audiophile
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! Feb. 18th, 2010 @ 01:17 PM Reply

At 2/18/10 09:22 AM, boloneyman wrote: Swordquest

I really like the informative side of AVGN's reviews and this is no exception. I'm actually surprised I've never heard of Swordquest and its contest before this review. It's a shame the contests were never concluded and I can relate to James Rolfe's thoughts on the missing Swordquest game. There are some game series I know that weren't finished either and I really wish those companies would go back to those games and finish what they started.

Formerly Bahamut

KittyKrew-Moderator
KittyKrew-Moderator
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! Feb. 19th, 2010 @ 11:59 AM Reply

OK, this Swordquest thing feels too much like something I'd think up. A sword like that, as a prize for a great video gamer? This can't be real. No, impossible, nobody could have so perfectly duplicated me. Unless I'm a clone of whoever thought this up. Because really, to think they'd make money off of this? They'd have to think losers like me who would chase medieval-inspired treasures through a video game were normal, and you'd have to be my kind of messed-up to think that.

Ah, if only I had been alive at the time! Or if I had a time machine. I could have got a Pendant or a Chalice! Actually, that Chalice would be pretty awesome to have. Think of it for a second: a collector sets up almost a sort of "throne room", lined with televisions hooked up to consoles, shelves of games, even a few arcade machines. And then he has a throne, and he sits there, drinking from the Sword Quest Chalice! Heck, if I ever had that kind of money, I'd build just that room, though I don't know if the prizes that were given out still exist in any form. Wikipedia claims the Pendant was melted down and pawned off to pay for school, but it says the Chalice exists...

If the Sword, Crown, and Philosopher's Stone are out there somewhere, though, they must be found and given to those who deserve them. ET and the evil impostor Pac-Man threw off the proper timeline, dammit! And it must be fixed. The Quest doesn't end until the Atari Blade belongs to gamers! It seems that all those game quests I've played before just became defictionalized by the Angry Video Game Nerd (who didn't seem so angry this episode). Ooh, and Jack Tramiel looks like he'd make a great villain, his Wikipedia page says he's known for his "hard-driving style and cutthroat deal-making", and like Magneto he's a Holocaust survivor. Damn, this would be an interesting story to write!

Also, to lend even more credence to my hypothesis about "Episode 100 will be ET", note how he made a special point of referring to the Crash, of picking games where the history involved the Crash in a unique way.

OK, that's enough mindless rambling from me.

This sig needs moar desu. Actually, so does this site.

BBS Signature
ZeldaFreak701
ZeldaFreak701
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! Feb. 25th, 2010 @ 11:34 PM Reply

I know I'm probably late in the game, but I want to join. I watch his reviews all the time and even met him too!

PSN ID: Zeldafreak701 | Gamertag: Zeldafreak701 | 3DS friend code: 0301-9780-8157
You shouldn't have done that....
Sig by BlueHippo <3

BBS Signature
ZeldaFreak701
ZeldaFreak701
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! Feb. 25th, 2010 @ 11:36 PM Reply

At 2/25/10 11:34 PM, ZeldaFreak701 wrote: I know I'm probably late in the game, but I want to join. I watch his reviews all the time and even met him too!

Aww shit, double post, but I forgot to post the picture.

The Avgn Fan Club!

PSN ID: Zeldafreak701 | Gamertag: Zeldafreak701 | 3DS friend code: 0301-9780-8157
Sig by BlueHippo <3

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! Feb. 27th, 2010 @ 02:12 PM Reply

At 2/25/10 11:36 PM, ZeldaFreak701 wrote:

That's awesome! What event was that at?

Sig by Some Guy - AMA

BBS Signature
ZeldaFreak701
ZeldaFreak701
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Blank Slate
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! Feb. 28th, 2010 @ 04:23 PM Reply

At 2/27/10 02:12 PM, puddinN64 wrote:
At 2/25/10 11:36 PM, ZeldaFreak701 wrote:
That's awesome! What event was that at?

Screw Attack gaming convention in Dallas. I live in Arlington so it was only about 20 minutes away.

Sig by BlueHippo <3

BBS Signature
Joshsouza
Joshsouza
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Artist
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! Mar. 1st, 2010 @ 10:27 PM Reply

Ahh, I love his work and I just happened to Stumble Upon him and now I am a fan!

Need a Review? Go to Review Request Club

Also please look at my art!

therealanimator
therealanimator
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Gamer
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! Mar. 2nd, 2010 @ 12:38 PM Reply

At 3/1/10 10:27 PM, Joshsouza wrote: Ahh, I love his work and I just happened to Stumble Upon him and now I am a fan!

awh right! we got a new avgn fan welcome to the club!

cherry garcia: its like having an angel cum in your mouth

BBS Signature
SoulMaster71
SoulMaster71
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Movie Buff
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! Mar. 6th, 2010 @ 11:05 PM Reply

Pong Consoles

Doesn't get much older than this, people. Well, except the Odyssey, but he's done that and there's consoles of the Odyssey name in this one anyway. He's gone back to the Wood Age again, the early to mid-70s, before the name "Mario" even belonged to a video game character, before even the Atari Video Computer System was released. The best part of this one is him taking on the video boxes, addressing the strange things used to hook a console up to a TV that relied on rabbit ears. Seriously, a screwdriver? Oh, those wacky old-school hookups... Taking on the batteries kinda works too, but after the epic history lesson of the Swordquest review, I can't help but feel that this one was all over the place. Still, it felt a lot more "angry" than the last one, though that's not really saying much.

Pixonimateo
Pixonimateo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! Mar. 7th, 2010 @ 12:37 AM Reply

FUCKERRRRRRS!

The Avgn Fan Club!

SoulMaster71
SoulMaster71
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Movie Buff
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! Mar. 18th, 2010 @ 02:54 PM Reply

Top 20 AVGN Moments
Before the Nerd goes on vacation, he's giving us his 20 favorite things he's said about the horribly shitty shit he plays. The 20 best ways he's talked about games that pissed him the fuck off, that made him want to shove his head in an orangutan's ass and lick out all of its shit, the things that made him want to bend over and be gang-fucked by ten horses at once.

Some of the best ones appear: Fred Fucks, shitting in the Halloween bag, and his creation of a new word that even he isn't allowed to say. But since he used two jokes from his CD-i review, why not the F Bombs? And what about his hilariously surreal image he gave us at the end of Plumbers Don't Wear Ties? He's missing some of my personal favorites.

ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! Mar. 27th, 2010 @ 02:58 AM Reply

Kinda a stretch, but there's a new Board James video out.

Seems funny to me. I remember trying to make my own board games as a kid. Did any of you guys ever try to do that?

Sig by Some Guy - AMA

BBS Signature
MegaGold
MegaGold
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Blank Slate
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! Mar. 31st, 2010 @ 08:14 AM Reply

Man it sucks not having the nerd feed us with new entertainment every 2 weeks. After his vacation, he better make his new episodes longer to compensate for the lack of biweekly new AVGN. Oh well, guess I better just watch the hell out of all his other episodes while I wait.

Members of:
The UFC Club
AVGN Club

BBS Signature
bugsbunny2600
bugsbunny2600
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! Apr. 30th, 2010 @ 02:06 PM Reply

The Angry Video Game Nerd is back with ACTION 52

Here's a link http://www.gametrailers.com/video/angry-
video-screwattack/65116

Funny one

Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Audiophile
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! Apr. 30th, 2010 @ 02:24 PM Reply

At 4/30/10 02:06 PM, bugsbunny2600 wrote: The Angry Video Game Nerd is back with ACTION 52

That is one hell of a return. This definitely makes up for the break he had from making AVGN videos. I think he could have said more about a few games but considering how much shit there is on one cartridge, I don't blame him for spending so little time on some of them.

Formerly Bahamut

ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! Apr. 30th, 2010 @ 08:45 PM Reply

At 4/30/10 02:24 PM, Bahamut wrote:
That is one hell of a return. This definitely makes up for the break he had from making AVGN videos. I think he could have said more about a few games but considering how much shit there is on one cartridge, I don't blame him for spending so little time on some of them.

Time?

Sig by Some Guy - AMA

BBS Signature
Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Audiophile
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! May. 1st, 2010 @ 04:51 PM Reply

At 4/30/10 08:45 PM, puddinN64 wrote: Time?

Time as in how long he spent on some of the games? Some were brief and while some of them I wanted him to talk more about (like Ooze which supposedly had a prize for those who beat that "game"), I can respect the fact that he didn't want to go on about every game out there so it isn't long-winded. I've seen a few other Action 52 review videos and some are as long as 2 hours!

Formerly Bahamut

ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! May. 1st, 2010 @ 06:59 PM Reply

At 5/1/10 04:51 PM, Bahamut wrote:
Time as in how long he spent on some of the games? Some were brief and while some of them I wanted him to talk more about (like Ooze which supposedly had a prize for those who beat that "game"), I can respect the fact that he didn't want to go on about every game out there so it isn't long-winded. I've seen a few other Action 52 review videos and some are as long as 2 hours!

I'm still pissed that we didn't get to see the last game. Is he insinuating that he's going to review Cheetahmen (And maybe its sequel) in his next video?

Sig by Some Guy - AMA

BBS Signature
Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Audiophile
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! May. 1st, 2010 @ 07:26 PM Reply

At 5/1/10 06:59 PM, puddinN64 wrote: I'm still pissed that we didn't get to see the last game. Is he insinuating that he's going to review Cheetahmen (And maybe its sequel) in his next video?

Of course. Not only that, there's Cheetahmen II which he'll definitely be covering over as well. I've not seen how bad the sequel is but I'll be amazed if he actually owns the cartridge of it. It sounds rare as fuck and if he had to buy it, I wonder how much money was sacrificed for it.

Formerly Bahamut

ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! May. 1st, 2010 @ 07:28 PM Reply

At 5/1/10 07:26 PM, Bahamut wrote:
Of course. Not only that, there's Cheetahmen II which he'll definitely be covering over as well. I've not seen how bad the sequel is but I'll be amazed if he actually owns the cartridge of it. It sounds rare as fuck and if he had to buy it, I wonder how much money was sacrificed for it.

Hmmmm...I wonder if he would ever settle for "emulating" the experience...

Sig by Some Guy - AMA

BBS Signature
DeIirium
DeIirium
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Melancholy
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! May. 1st, 2010 @ 08:10 PM Reply

At 5/1/10 07:28 PM, puddinN64 wrote:
At 5/1/10 07:26 PM, Bahamut wrote:
Hmmmm...I wonder if he would ever settle for "emulating" the experience...

Since James is a revered video game reviewer on the internet it would be bad for his reputation to use an emulator.
I read that only 1500 copies of cheetahmen 2 exist, and that the game wasn't even finished.
However, its not impossible for James to own it, since he does have a lot of other rare and obscure games. He probably has games that are more rare than Cheetahmen 2.

supperman2
supperman2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 01
Blank Slate
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! May. 1st, 2010 @ 08:35 PM Reply

At 5/1/10 08:10 PM, DeIirium wrote: Since James is a revered video game reviewer on the internet it would be bad for his reputation to use an emulator.

Well, let's think about this for a minute.

IF he uses an emulator, he will still be able to give the illusion of playing the game on his TV, and possibly get videos out a lot faster. Plus he might be able to complete games he never could before, such as Ninja Gaiden. This could also leave time for him to work on his original ambitions.

However, he will lose the appeal of being a true retroist, and lose respect for using illegal software. Hmm.

BBS Signature
ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! May. 1st, 2010 @ 08:53 PM Reply

At 5/1/10 08:35 PM, supperman2 wrote:
At 5/1/10 08:10 PM, DeIirium wrote: Since James is a revered video game reviewer on the internet it would be bad for his reputation to use an emulator.
Well, let's think about this for a minute.

IF he uses an emulator, he will still be able to give the illusion of playing the game on his TV, and possibly get videos out a lot faster. Plus he might be able to complete games he never could before, such as Ninja Gaiden. This could also leave time for him to work on his original ambitions.

However, he will lose the appeal of being a true retroist, and lose respect for using illegal software. Hmm.

It all comes down to the cartridge. In just about every episode, James shows us the cartridge of the game that he's reviewing. If he didn't do that, we'd know that something was up. Also, respect is a valuable thing. People tend to stop paying attention to you if they don't respect you.

Sig by Some Guy - AMA

BBS Signature
SoulMaster71
SoulMaster71
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 35
Movie Buff
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! May. 6th, 2010 @ 11:45 PM Reply

Wasn't I saying, just last page, that he should do this one? I mean, it was an obvious choice: this was a collection of the worst games on the NES, with all the "do not play" flags (unlicensed game, multicart, previously unknown developer) flashing red and giving off warning klaxons. Interestingly enough, mere minutes before I watched the episode, I was reading about unlicensed multicarts of this sort on Wikipedia, on my "interest" in bad bootleg games and other fakes.

I loved the episode, as usual, but was it necessary to do what looked like a cliffhanger into a Cheetahmen-specific episode? And if it is, maybe he has the unreleased sequel (or at least a reproduction cart) on hand to do that? Because from what I've heard, just that one game isn't enough for a review.

Murray
Murray
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 58
Audiophile
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! May. 7th, 2010 @ 08:46 AM Reply

I much prefer him showing the cartridges and playing them. It just shows how genuine he is. Come to think about it, I shouldn't be too surprised if he does have Cheetahmen 2 considering his massive NES collection. We all saw how uber it was.

Formerly Bahamut

ZJ
ZJ
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 44
Gamer
Response to The Avgn Fan Club! May. 8th, 2010 @ 02:26 PM Reply

At 5/7/10 08:46 AM, Bahamut wrote: I much prefer him showing the cartridges and playing them. It just shows how genuine he is. Come to think about it, I shouldn't be too surprised if he does have Cheetahmen 2 considering his massive NES collection. We all saw how uber it was.

But isn't Cheetahmen 2 on the level of rarity of the NES Championship cartridges?

Sig by Some Guy - AMA

BBS Signature