00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TwistSSD just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Oscars - Best Animated Short

46,596 Views | 318 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short 2008-02-25 18:25:23

Honestly, even though Adam Phillips is damn good with graphics, I can see Zekey or Firth pulling this off more than anyone else.

Also, to whoever mentioned illwillpress---remember that there can be a world of difference between POPULAR flash and GOOD flash. Foamy is not artistic. I don't care how funny you think his voice is, that's not art.

What Zekey and Firth do, that's art.

Slash's call

was absorbed

by the darkness.

BBS Signature

Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short 2008-02-25 19:19:14

this will be very , very hard !!!
i think flash dont hav enough graphic or quality to win an oscar or even participate of it !!

Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short 2008-02-25 19:22:49

At 2/24/08 09:44 PM, Malachy wrote: don't you have to be a member of the "academy" to be considered?

I don't know if any one has answered this because honestly I don't feel like reading past the first page cause I am tired right now. But you can only vote on the submissions if you are in the academy. You don't have to be in the academy to be considered for an award.

Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short 2008-02-25 19:39:55

My bet would be Alanthebox. His work is of such higher quality than any other flash artist here can achieve. It's not about 'who can draw best', but about 'who can make the most original, unique animation'. Hell you don't even have to be able to draw to get nominated, sometimes a simple unique style can even work in your advantage

BBS Signature

Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short 2008-02-25 19:48:53

At 2/25/08 07:39 PM, AloneInTheDark wrote: My bet would be Alanthebox. His work is of such higher quality than any other flash artist here can achieve. It's not about 'who can draw best', but about 'who can make the most original, unique animation'. Hell you don't even have to be able to draw to get nominated, sometimes a simple unique style can even work in your advantage

I agree. The person who is able to take on the challenge of animating something oscar-worthy is the person who is able to express complete confidence in experimenting.

Also Tom, I don't know if you want to pin this up, it's still pretty early in the game. But for future reference,
RULE 19 of THE ACADEMY BYLAWS: SPECIAL RULES FOR SHORT FILM AWARDS

I don't know if by "frame by frame" they mean they'll search your flash for tweens, though like AloneintheDark said, it has to original, and you'll have to do a lot of digging to make tweens an original in flash.

Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short 2008-02-25 20:01:26

At 2/25/08 07:48 PM, EKublai wrote: RULE 19 of THE ACADEMY BYLAWS: SPECIAL RULES FOR SHORT FILM AWARDS

I don't know if by "frame by frame" they mean they'll search your flash for tweens, though like AloneintheDark said, it has to original, and you'll have to do a lot of digging to make tweens an original in flash.

Tweening is certainly acceptable - just look at this nominated short.

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature

Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short 2008-02-25 20:25:36

At 2/24/08 09:57 PM, PolishMatt wrote: Some crazy awesome idea.

That is awesome. Right gather the troops.

Also moneyz!

BBS Signature

Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short 2008-02-25 20:51:53

You a crazy negra, giving away 10 grand jsut for some shit flash movie? WHAT THE FUCK TOM

Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short 2008-02-25 21:01:44

At 2/25/08 08:01 PM, Rig wrote:
At 2/25/08 07:48 PM, EKublai wrote: RULE 19 of THE ACADEMY BYLAWS: SPECIAL RULES FOR SHORT FILM AWARDS

Tweening is certainly acceptable - just look at this nominated short.

yeah but im under the idea that they used a different sort of tweening, such as using camera movements, and since it wasn't necessarily made in flash (I'll have to confirm this) they weren't using the same kind of robotic machine generated tweens, and designed every tween from scratch. you can tell be of the obvious free flow. But if it is then by golly let's tween ourselves into the oscars.

Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short 2008-02-25 21:17:47

i really want to see the oscars.

Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short 2008-02-25 21:40:13

Kewl, Keep up the good work Tom.

BBS Signature

Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short 2008-02-25 21:42:42

I'm gunna win that Oscar Randall Cunningham! You mark my words!

If Jesus were a gun, I'd fill you with his love!

Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short 2008-02-25 22:34:21

it'd be awesome for a NG'er to get an Oscar! I'd be like OH MAH GAD I'VE HEARD OF THAT GUY!

$10,000 dollars you say. Sounds tempting...

Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short 2008-02-26 00:08:00

At 2/24/08 09:43 PM, TomFulp wrote: After much toiling to finalize the list of nominees for the "Tank Awards" (sorry it's been taking so long), I was watching the Oscars tonight and just saw the nominees for Best Animated Short. It made me wonder, will a Flash movie ever win an Oscar for Best Animated Short? Has anyone ever made a Flash movie that COULD have won the Oscar if it had been considered?

What's crazy is I thought the same thing when watching that. I think it could happen. I think Adam Phillips could likely kick the ass of anyone in that category. Problem is, to be qualified it has to actually be shown in a theatre.

It serves its purpose.

BBS Signature

Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short 2008-02-26 00:12:09

Ok people, listen up. We all know that the most likely candidate, as of right now, is the Bitey series. What we need to do is promote the crap out of it. Everybody put a link to it on anything they can. That will be the best way to get it noticed by the Academy. And if they notice Adam, he might just make a special Bitey flash just for their consideration.

So let's get to it people!

Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short 2008-02-26 00:25:29

At 2/25/08 09:17 PM, joselox5 wrote: i really want to see the oscars.

Go to Youtube.

Thanks MuffDiver102 for the sig.

BBS Signature

Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short 2008-02-26 00:28:21

This seems like a good challenge to anyone who can pull it off, good luck to all who try! :D

<33

BBS Signature

Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short 2008-02-26 01:03:34

Its all out standing

Oscars - Best Animated Short

don't get me Mad

BBS Signature

Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short 2008-02-26 01:33:20

An Oscar-nominated flash?

Let's be perfectly honest here, a Flash like that would have to be the rare marriage of a compelling plot line, awesome animation, outstanding sound quality, and an all-original musical score.

It would have to be... a collaboration of the best animators, composers, voice actors, and script writers.

Luckily, Newgrounds does have a great deal of those types of people. I just hope they find each other!

*Hint -- I'm an actual student of sound engineering! Go for me! =D!!!

Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short 2008-02-26 02:07:18

At 2/26/08 12:12 AM, KerfuffleMach2 wrote: a stupid idea

You have no idea in any way how the academy awards or animation works do you?

Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short 2008-02-26 04:09:54

Oh God, please stop mentioning me. I am years upon years away from winning an Oscar for my shit. It's stupid video game parodies. People in the internets like it. It is not Academy worthy.

It's, like, embarrassing that people are saying that I could win an Oscar. I mean, I appreciate the support but....

... c'mon

Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short 2008-02-26 04:24:55

I already won one.

P

T3hParty is amazing, do not hesitate, join!

BBS Signature

Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short 2008-02-26 06:08:18

At 2/24/08 09:51 PM, AshfordPride wrote:
At 2/24/08 09:43 PM, TomFulp wrote: NG will award them with a $10,000 prize!*
*Only redeemable in certain locations. Results may vary. Offer void in Alaska and Hawaii.

What about Canada?

Besides, just a note, I used to live in Massachussets in year 2000 and before, which is next to Pennsylvania (right? I never studied anything about the states except that time when Canada was having problems in the 17th and 18th centuries, therefore I do not know the placement exactly of the states. Besides, how many are there now? Still 50?), so if I was still living there, it wouldn't be a challenge for the postman to give me my 10 grand (and a T-shirt !) if I win.

Now I'm sure this is a stupid post, I'm not thinking straight at 6:00 am. Maybe if I touch my prostate I'll think straight.

BBS Signature

Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short 2008-02-26 08:18:53

I didn't know they search the Net let alone NG for Oscars? That would be FREAK'N SWEET if someone from NG won one!

Hi

Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short 2008-02-26 08:45:59

At 2/26/08 02:07 AM, ZekeySpaceyLizard wrote:
At 2/26/08 12:12 AM, KerfuffleMach2 wrote: a stupid idea

You have no idea in any way how the academy awards or animation works do you?

Not really. I just thought promotion would have to help in some way, shape, or form.

Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short 2008-02-26 09:54:06

I think there are definitely some animators on newgrouds that can be nominated for an oscar, we just have to spam them with emails so they "actually" go look at flashes here, because let's face it.
They don't know that there are these great flashes out there

Wait, wut?

Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short 2008-02-26 09:59:20

At 2/24/08 09:55 PM, raverboy16420 wrote: i think the creator of bitey of bracken wood could win an oscar

I fully agree to that.

Ich habe ein panzerwagen und mein panzerwagen is kaput! :(

Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short 2008-02-26 10:46:52

At 2/26/08 04:09 AM, Egoraptor wrote: ... c'mon

I'd seriously love to hear the teary acceptance speech for that.

Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short 2008-02-26 14:46:33

$10,000.00?

I would start making flash just for that! Sadly even if I did become mildly good at flash someone would have already beaten me to the cash.

Make war, not love.

BBS Signature

Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short 2008-02-26 15:38:35

probl somethin by rtil could win