aquaticmole
aquaticmole
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Melancholy
Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short Feb. 25th, 2008 @ 05:11 PM Reply

That trophies is shiny.

Yeah there probably could be a best animated short that's a flash, there's certsinly no reason why there can't be.

aquaticmole.

BBS Signature
Luis
Luis
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Melancholy
Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short Feb. 25th, 2008 @ 05:14 PM Reply

is there any actual monetary gain from winning the oscars from the academy itself? Like when a team wins the superbowl the nfl gives them some mega bonus i always wondered if there was more to it than just a stupid gold statue... i suppose the goodie bags that they give all the nominees but theres gotta be more no?

I think Kol might be oscar material... i like the abstractness of his works and i think under the right conditions and depending if the judges are artsy fartsy.. he might just be able to take it... that animated film that went against ratatouille vaguely reminded me of kol's work actually...

None

Doubleraz
Doubleraz
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 16
Blank Slate
Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short Feb. 25th, 2008 @ 05:23 PM Reply

I is very possible that a Flash movie will win. Especially if Adam Phillips were to submit it.

Noseweiner
Noseweiner
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short Feb. 25th, 2008 @ 05:35 PM Reply

Definately Adam Phillips if he can combine all his flashes into 1 it would be 100% oscar-worthy.

BBS Signature
GadgetRobot54
GadgetRobot54
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short Feb. 25th, 2008 @ 05:46 PM Reply

sincetheres a 10,000 prize i'll be submitting lots of flash(if I have the time) forthat oscar

newgrounds

BBS Signature
PinballWizard976
PinballWizard976
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short Feb. 25th, 2008 @ 05:54 PM Reply

$10,000!?

You guys have too much money ; )

ZagmenO
ZagmenO
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Melancholy
Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short Feb. 25th, 2008 @ 05:55 PM Reply

I plan on learning Flash in the Fall. So, I might be able to get a Flash out in Spring 2009. I doubt anything I make will be worthy of an Oscar, considering all the great films on Newgrounds that never won those before.

I laugh at your sigs!

Idiot-Finder
Idiot-Finder
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 60
Gamer
Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short Feb. 25th, 2008 @ 06:09 PM Reply

Interesting idea though doubtful.

Please subscribe
"As the old saying goes...what was it again?"
.·´¯`·->YFIQ's collections of stories!<-·´¯`·.

BBS Signature
CaptainBob
CaptainBob
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 49
Blank Slate
Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short Feb. 25th, 2008 @ 06:11 PM Reply

At 2/24/08 10:50 PM, TomFulp wrote: I just wish they would give me free copies of Flash to give out as prizes in the art forum and whatnot... Or give NG SOME SORT of recognition for pimping Flash for so long... But if another animation format becomes dominant, we'll just have to support that too. Especially if they hook us up with lots of prize copies to give out. :)

Time to cozy up to Microsoft :) I imagine they would be willing to pony out some dough for promotion of their software, as of course world domination is a long term goal.

At 2/25/08 02:39 AM, JohnnyUtah wrote: generally all you need to do is offically submit your movie or "film" to the academy for a possibly nomination. I believe there's probably a fee to avoid everything under the sun from being sent in.

I would also imagine that the film would have to be on actual film either for submissions or at least to qualify under the rules previously posted. I have no idea how much it would take to convert a flash into actual film stock, but I would imagine it's not cheap.

if you've seen the nominations over the years you'll know most are HARDLY popular...generally the only place ive seen many of em is at animation film festivals like the one in ottawa canada. you cant really blame the films for not being seen...until very recently there was no avenue for em to even be viewed by the general public. i hope they actually stick many of em up on itunes and i'd purchase them.

I've often seen clips of the nominated shorts on the Oscars and wanted to watch them, but have no avenue to do that. It would be a good move on both the animators and even the Academy's part to put them up on iTunes or something similar.

i think the craziest one ove ever seen be nominated was REJECTED. while its good (and i own it on dvd), you'll see its VERY POSSIBLE for somebody to have a chance here. you just need to think outside the box a little and do something unconventional.

Rejected is seriously something that could have easily came from NG, especially in the early days. I also have it on DVD because of the pure awesomeness. AND NOW ANGRY TICKS FIRE OUT OF MY NIPPLES

UNITE THE CLANS | space cheese | RG podcasts | also cocks

BBS Signature
SlashFirestorm
SlashFirestorm
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Animator
Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short Feb. 25th, 2008 @ 06:25 PM Reply

Honestly, even though Adam Phillips is damn good with graphics, I can see Zekey or Firth pulling this off more than anyone else.

Also, to whoever mentioned illwillpress---remember that there can be a world of difference between POPULAR flash and GOOD flash. Foamy is not artistic. I don't care how funny you think his voice is, that's not art.

What Zekey and Firth do, that's art.

Slash's call
was absorbed
by the darkness.

BBS Signature
guilhermesv15
guilhermesv15
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short Feb. 25th, 2008 @ 07:19 PM Reply

this will be very , very hard !!!
i think flash dont hav enough graphic or quality to win an oscar or even participate of it !!

Frank2982
Frank2982
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short Feb. 25th, 2008 @ 07:22 PM Reply

At 2/24/08 09:44 PM, Malachy wrote: don't you have to be a member of the "academy" to be considered?

I don't know if any one has answered this because honestly I don't feel like reading past the first page cause I am tired right now. But you can only vote on the submissions if you are in the academy. You don't have to be in the academy to be considered for an award.

AloneInTheDark
AloneInTheDark
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 41
Blank Slate
Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short Feb. 25th, 2008 @ 07:39 PM Reply

My bet would be Alanthebox. His work is of such higher quality than any other flash artist here can achieve. It's not about 'who can draw best', but about 'who can make the most original, unique animation'. Hell you don't even have to be able to draw to get nominated, sometimes a simple unique style can even work in your advantage

BBS Signature
EKublai
EKublai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short Feb. 25th, 2008 @ 07:48 PM Reply

At 2/25/08 07:39 PM, AloneInTheDark wrote: My bet would be Alanthebox. His work is of such higher quality than any other flash artist here can achieve. It's not about 'who can draw best', but about 'who can make the most original, unique animation'. Hell you don't even have to be able to draw to get nominated, sometimes a simple unique style can even work in your advantage

I agree. The person who is able to take on the challenge of animating something oscar-worthy is the person who is able to express complete confidence in experimenting.

Also Tom, I don't know if you want to pin this up, it's still pretty early in the game. But for future reference,
RULE 19 of THE ACADEMY BYLAWS: SPECIAL RULES FOR SHORT FILM AWARDS

I don't know if by "frame by frame" they mean they'll search your flash for tweens, though like AloneintheDark said, it has to original, and you'll have to do a lot of digging to make tweens an original in flash.

BBS Signature
Rig
Rig
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 20
Musician
Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short Feb. 25th, 2008 @ 08:01 PM Reply

At 2/25/08 07:48 PM, EKublai wrote: RULE 19 of THE ACADEMY BYLAWS: SPECIAL RULES FOR SHORT FILM AWARDS

I don't know if by "frame by frame" they mean they'll search your flash for tweens, though like AloneintheDark said, it has to original, and you'll have to do a lot of digging to make tweens an original in flash.

Tweening is certainly acceptable - just look at this nominated short.

____________________________Bel-Air remixes! You must listen!____________________________

BBS Signature
NintendoMadness
NintendoMadness
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Blank Slate
Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short Feb. 25th, 2008 @ 08:25 PM Reply

At 2/24/08 09:57 PM, PolishMatt wrote: Some crazy awesome idea.

That is awesome. Right gather the troops.

Also moneyz!

BBS Signature
Gein
Gein
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Audiophile
Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short Feb. 25th, 2008 @ 08:51 PM Reply

You a crazy negra, giving away 10 grand jsut for some shit flash movie? WHAT THE FUCK TOM

EKublai
EKublai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Animator
Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short Feb. 25th, 2008 @ 09:01 PM Reply

At 2/25/08 08:01 PM, Rig wrote:
At 2/25/08 07:48 PM, EKublai wrote: RULE 19 of THE ACADEMY BYLAWS: SPECIAL RULES FOR SHORT FILM AWARDS

Tweening is certainly acceptable - just look at this nominated short.

yeah but im under the idea that they used a different sort of tweening, such as using camera movements, and since it wasn't necessarily made in flash (I'll have to confirm this) they weren't using the same kind of robotic machine generated tweens, and designed every tween from scratch. you can tell be of the obvious free flow. But if it is then by golly let's tween ourselves into the oscars.

BBS Signature
joselox5
joselox5
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short Feb. 25th, 2008 @ 09:17 PM Reply

i really want to see the oscars.

Kozorvia
Kozorvia
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short Feb. 25th, 2008 @ 09:40 PM Reply

Kewl, Keep up the good work Tom.

BBS Signature
StickemUpOnline
StickemUpOnline
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short Feb. 25th, 2008 @ 09:42 PM Reply

I'm gunna win that Oscar Randall Cunningham! You mark my words!

If Jesus were a gun, I'd fill you with his love!

125Maniac
125Maniac
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 12
Blank Slate
Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short Feb. 25th, 2008 @ 10:34 PM Reply

it'd be awesome for a NG'er to get an Oscar! I'd be like OH MAH GAD I'VE HEARD OF THAT GUY!

$10,000 dollars you say. Sounds tempting...

rockymike
rockymike
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short Feb. 26th, 2008 @ 12:08 AM Reply

At 2/24/08 09:43 PM, TomFulp wrote: After much toiling to finalize the list of nominees for the "Tank Awards" (sorry it's been taking so long), I was watching the Oscars tonight and just saw the nominees for Best Animated Short. It made me wonder, will a Flash movie ever win an Oscar for Best Animated Short? Has anyone ever made a Flash movie that COULD have won the Oscar if it had been considered?

What's crazy is I thought the same thing when watching that. I think it could happen. I think Adam Phillips could likely kick the ass of anyone in that category. Problem is, to be qualified it has to actually be shown in a theatre.

It serves its purpose.

BBS Signature
KerfuffleMach2
KerfuffleMach2
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 18
Blank Slate
Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short Feb. 26th, 2008 @ 12:12 AM Reply

Ok people, listen up. We all know that the most likely candidate, as of right now, is the Bitey series. What we need to do is promote the crap out of it. Everybody put a link to it on anything they can. That will be the best way to get it noticed by the Academy. And if they notice Adam, he might just make a special Bitey flash just for their consideration.

So let's get to it people!

TehHood
TehHood
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 15
Gamer
Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short Feb. 26th, 2008 @ 12:25 AM Reply

At 2/25/08 09:17 PM, joselox5 wrote: i really want to see the oscars.

Go to Youtube.

Thanks MuffDiver102 for the sig.

BBS Signature
Lotus
Lotus
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Melancholy
Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short Feb. 26th, 2008 @ 12:28 AM Reply

This seems like a good challenge to anyone who can pull it off, good luck to all who try! :D

<33

BBS Signature
Ir0n-Ph0enix
Ir0n-Ph0enix
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short Feb. 26th, 2008 @ 01:03 AM Reply

Its all out standing

Oscars - Best Animated Short

don't get me Mad

BBS Signature
RussianDumbass
RussianDumbass
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 19
Blank Slate
Response to Oscars - Best Animated Short Feb. 26th, 2008 @ 01:33 AM Reply

An Oscar-nominated flash?

Let's be perfectly honest here, a Flash like that would have to be the rare marriage of a compelling plot line, awesome animation, outstanding sound quality, and an all-original musical score.

It would have to be... a collaboration of the best animators, composers, voice actors, and script writers.

Luckily, Newgrounds does have a great deal of those types of people. I just hope they find each other!

*Hint -- I'm an actual student of sound engineering! Go for me! =D!!!