New Topic Respond to this Topic
FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Voice Acting Genre Problems. Feb. 23rd, 2008 @ 01:52 AM Reply

Ok, so here's the thing. DId you know there is a voice acting genre? You might not, because it doesn't even show up in the genre list. >=(

This is because most of the voice acting "songs" are not taken very seriously. They are voted 0 upon automatically anyway, because people think it is Spam.

What can we do to change the way voice acting songs are looked upon? I will ever be able to know what people truly think about my voice acting, unless it has a true score. (Besides the reviews of the people who actually listen all the way)

In other words, the voice acting genre is mis-treated BIG TIME.

If there are any others who think the same, I would like to know. Maybe we can even review eachothers voice actings seriously.

Thanks.

MysticShinHanKu
MysticShinHanKu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Filmmaker
Response to Voice Acting Genre Problems. Feb. 23rd, 2008 @ 02:53 AM Reply

I kind of know what you mean, but I've received great reviews for my voice demos. Even though there does seem to be someone that repeatedly blams it sometimes though. My score usually stays at about 4 but every once and while it drops down to 3.90 or something because of someone. Idk, whatever.

But it's been downloaded a few times (not much because who wants someone's voice demo?)

I think it was looked at pretty fairly. idk what type of voice acting you're posting, but if it's radioplays or podcasts or just things you think are funny, I don't think they're being "mistreated" they're just not widely accepted in the audio portal. It's for music, I just put my demo up so newgrounders could hear me, but other than that sort of thing, it's not a good place for that.

This is a flash website, ya know? There's just a lot of talented composers in the audio portal and they don't care about skits recorded and stuff.

for the most part, I think things are judged fairly.

Mystic's 08 Voice Demo

Listen to my Demo and PM me if you want me to voice act for you, I'd be happy to help.

BBS Signature
FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to Voice Acting Genre Problems. Feb. 23rd, 2008 @ 02:56 AM Reply

At 2/23/08 02:53 AM, MysticShinHanKu wrote: I kind of know what you mean, but I've received great reviews for my voice demos. Even though there does seem to be someone that repeatedly blams it sometimes though. My score usually stays at about 4 but every once and while it drops down to 3.90 or something because of someone. Idk, whatever.

In voice acting genre? I don't see you up there...

But it's been downloaded a few times (not much because who wants someone's voice demo?)

Right, people review and say they downloaded it to their Ipod with my Voice actings.

I think it was looked at pretty fairly. idk what type of voice acting you're posting, but if it's radioplays or podcasts or just things you think are funny, I don't think they're being "mistreated" they're just not widely accepted in the audio portal. It's for music, I just put my demo up so newgrounders could hear me, but other than that sort of thing, it's not a good place for that.

It is a high quality audio though, with sound effects and such. They probably think it is spam and/or don't acccept it because it is on the Audio Portal.

This is a flash website, ya know? There's just a lot of talented composers in the audio portal and they don't care about skits recorded and stuff.

So true, I need to put my voice actings in other peoples Flashs.

for the most part, I think things are judged fairly.

Alright. =)

P.S. My voice actings get GREAT reviews, but the people who don't like usually don't review...

MysticShinHanKu
MysticShinHanKu
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Filmmaker
Response to Voice Acting Genre Problems. Feb. 23rd, 2008 @ 03:03 AM Reply

it doesn't really matter the quality though. It's just not widely accepted here. I'm sure you work hard on it, but that's not too important to a lot of users here.

idk how to navigate the genres, but you could just look on my userpage for it lol.

Mystic's 08 Voice Demo

Listen to my Demo and PM me if you want me to voice act for you, I'd be happy to help.

BBS Signature
InsaneSmilie
InsaneSmilie
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Voice Acting Genre Problems. Feb. 23rd, 2008 @ 03:44 AM Reply

I was kinda under the impression that the voice acting genre was more just so VA's whould have a place to post samples. I mean is score really that important for VA clip? Do you guys post VA clips on the portal to get recognition or so you'll have something to show people if they ask for a sample? I'm curiouse as to how that particular genre is used.

WUML Lowell 91.5 FM - Real Underground Radio

BBS Signature
Tiredguy
Tiredguy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Voice Acting Genre Problems. Feb. 23rd, 2008 @ 05:19 AM Reply

At 2/23/08 03:44 AM, InsaneSmilie wrote: I was kinda under the impression that the voice acting genre was more just so VA's whould have a place to post samples. I mean is score really that important for VA clip? Do you guys post VA clips on the portal to get recognition or so you'll have something to show people if they ask for a sample? I'm curiouse as to how that particular genre is used.

Well, one thing that score does is it determines where you're placed on the list, so if someone were browsing the VA genre portal list, they'd usually only see ones at the top of the list, and not the ones a page or two down it. I think that the scoring is a little biased toward voice acting demos that are more like humorous skits, since those are the ones that usually are able to entertain and therefore get by the "gauntlet" of audio portal reviewers. The demos that choose more serious or more sincere material are the ones that really are more likelyto get misunderstood by the people out there looking for music. So the flashy ones sit at the top of the list, and the not-as-flashy ones sit further down, just like in the real world of art...
I don't think there's really anything we can do about it, except to somehow make sure the people interested in finding voice actors are informed that, unlike many of the music lists, the voice acting list may have some quite acceptable voice actors at the very bottom of the list as well as at the top.

Tiredguy
Tiredguy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Voice Acting Genre Problems. Feb. 23rd, 2008 @ 05:29 AM Reply

Sorry for the double post, but I just had an idea. One way to address this problem might be to have different sub-genres under voice acting, such as comedy, accents, readings, miscellaneous... This way, good submissions are less likely to get buried under not-as-good ones that are simply of a different kind.

Adidaas
Adidaas
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 26
Melancholy
Response to Voice Acting Genre Problems. Feb. 23rd, 2008 @ 11:06 AM Reply

At 2/23/08 02:53 AM, MysticShinHanKu wrote: I kind of know what you mean, but I've received great reviews for my voice demos. Even though there does seem to be someone that repeatedly blams it sometimes though. My score usually stays at about 4 but every once and while it drops down to 3.90 or something because of someone. Idk, whatever.

It only has a 3.97 though! What's up with that!11?1@! Well, my demo it doing ok to for what it is, but I'd have to agree with Tiredguy on the whole flashy-ness thing. Without all the background music I put in mine it probably wouldn't do so well.

BBS Signature
meneldil
meneldil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Voice Acting Genre Problems. Feb. 23rd, 2008 @ 11:31 AM Reply

I believe voice acting genre was made so that animators can see capabilities of a va... Thanks to this, guys in the "Voice actor needed" thread by Rucklo or in the VAC (is it dead?) can quickly submit they demos.

That's why the voice acting genre doesn't even appear in the AP. Who would like to listen to people talkin anyway? It's not music, it's just something flash ppl might be interested in.

Subgenres for voice acting? This thread is retarded...

Indescriptive topic names have left me in despair!

FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to Voice Acting Genre Problems. Feb. 23rd, 2008 @ 02:02 PM Reply

If you click the link at the top of the page, you will see that the highest scores are 3.99 and 4.02.

That means people 0 bomb them a lot. X(

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Voice Acting Genre Problems. Feb. 23rd, 2008 @ 02:03 PM Reply

it's funny - I rememebr when the new genres were implemented - I just kept typing genre numbers in and it brought up empty genre pages for each number..

Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!
ALSO - My sig isnt there just for show - CLICK IT!

BBS Signature
Rucklo
Rucklo
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Audiophile
Response to Voice Acting Genre Problems. Feb. 23rd, 2008 @ 03:33 PM Reply

The fact that we have a place to upload VA-clip in the first place is not an old fact, but it sure is a very good thing!

I dont know, but maybe they decided that the VA-clip just don't belong along with the other genres, since it's not music? Maybe they are to get a place of their own one day? Again, I really don't know, it could just be as easy as the fact that they missed to implement it in the genre-choise. :)

Join the Newgrounds Battlefield 3 Platoon (for PC)! DON'T ASK WHAT YOUR GAME CAN DO FOR YOU, ASK WHAT YOU CAN DO FOR, UH, NEWGROUNDS! ON BATTLEFIELD 3. eh...

FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to Voice Acting Genre Problems. Feb. 24th, 2008 @ 02:57 AM Reply

At 2/23/08 02:03 PM, Chronamut wrote: it's funny - I rememebr when the new genres were implemented - I just kept typing genre numbers in and it brought up empty genre pages for each number..

Yeah, you can still do that now LOL, I wonder if there is a secret page or something.

FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to Voice Acting Genre Problems. Feb. 24th, 2008 @ 01:31 PM Reply

At 2/23/08 03:33 PM, Rucklo wrote: The fact that we have a place to upload VA-clip in the first place is not an old fact, but it sure is a very good thing!

I dont know, but maybe they decided that the VA-clip just don't belong along with the other genres, since it's not music? Maybe they are to get a place of their own one day? Again, I really don't know, it could just be as easy as the fact that they missed to implement it in the genre-choise. :)

Oh that is true, but it is like giving an apple to a little kid, but it is covered with worms and mucus. You know what I mean?

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Voice Acting Genre Problems. Feb. 24th, 2008 @ 01:48 PM Reply

am I the only one that has noticed that genres 30-38 DON'T EXIST??

seriously what's up with that. - genres 1-29.. and then 39-40.

Want to chat with fellow newgrounders? Then go here & come visit The High Society Club!

BBS Signature
meneldil
meneldil
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 09
Blank Slate
Response to Voice Acting Genre Problems. Feb. 24th, 2008 @ 02:00 PM Reply

At 2/24/08 01:48 PM, Chronamut wrote: am I the only one that has noticed that genres 30-38 DON'T EXIST??

seriously what's up with that. - genres 1-29.. and then 39-40.

It doesn't really matter anyway.

But I'm sure I could find a way to submit a song to genre 30... what will happen then? :o
just need to enter all values by hand in the form, including entry_genre = 30...

Indescriptive topic names have left me in despair!

Chronamut
Chronamut
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Voice Acting Genre Problems. Feb. 24th, 2008 @ 03:11 PM Reply

At 2/24/08 02:00 PM, meneldil wrote: It doesn't really matter anyway.

it does to ME! Lol..

But I'm sure I could find a way to submit a song to genre 30... what will happen then? :o
just need to enter all values by hand in the form, including entry_genre = 30...

ya good luck with that hehehe :P

BBS Signature
FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to Voice Acting Genre Problems. Feb. 24th, 2008 @ 04:25 PM Reply

At 2/24/08 03:11 PM, Chronamut wrote:
At 2/24/08 02:00 PM, meneldil wrote: It doesn't really matter anyway.
it does to ME! Lol..

ya good luck with that hehehe :P

LOL, I noticed that there aren't any genres there either. (Go to page 666)

FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to Voice Acting Genre Problems. Feb. 25th, 2008 @ 09:06 AM Reply

It only has a 3.97 though! What's up with that!11?1@! Well, my demo it doing ok to for what it is, but I'd have to agree with Tiredguy on the whole flashy-ness thing. Without all the background music I put in mine it probably wouldn't do so well.

3.97 is a pretty good score.

FatKidWitAJetPak
FatKidWitAJetPak
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 29
Musician
Response to Voice Acting Genre Problems. Feb. 26th, 2008 @ 07:05 PM Reply

Oh and some new Audios are coming in all of a sudden...