Level 15
Animator
Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread Mar. 4th, 2008 @ 09:14 PM Reply

At 3/4/08 12:26 AM, THINKBOX wrote:
At 3/3/08 12:37 AM, darx wrote: Done?

Comments, Critiques?

Hi Quality
the arms are to mushy looking look fat and hand way tooo small way way to small

wow didn't even notice that, thanks a lot, but I already submitted... oh well..

A Girl in A Room Halloween Collaboration II -Join Now!-

BBS Signature
ZekeySpaceyLizard
ZekeySpaceyLizard
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 25
Blank Slate
Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread Mar. 4th, 2008 @ 09:23 PM Reply

Mine came out looking like a buttered whore.
Into the recycle bin it goes.

So how 'bout those Mets?

ReNaeNae
ReNaeNae
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Supporter
Level 29
Blank Slate
Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread Mar. 4th, 2008 @ 09:47 PM Reply

At 3/4/08 09:23 PM, ZekeySpaceyLizard wrote: Mine came out looking like a buttered whore.
Into the recycle bin it goes.

Ooh, bad move! I have it on good authority that that's exactly how Pox likes his whores... buttered (with a little lemon). You probably would have won! :P

darthnebula
darthnebula
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Artist
Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread Mar. 5th, 2008 @ 12:07 AM Reply

This is my near finished entry, I figured that the guy who got his dick shot off in tank men probably had a hot wife, there by making his pain worse. Plus he probably had a big dick making it an easy target so now shes all kinda annoyed n shit!

Heavy Metal discussion thread

Hey all check out MYSPACE

BBS Signature
Occluded
Occluded
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Artist
Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread Mar. 5th, 2008 @ 06:06 AM Reply

Deadlines approaching fast. I have a friend in town from North Dakota. And while it's cool to see her, I have done nothing on this. Starting to put it all together. Need to do some work on the chick and the logo, but I wanted to see what it was starting to look like all together. Would continue to tweak until doomsday. In that way deadlines are good.

I also need to take the brightness down by a few points before I export for web. All the jpegs I'm making are just a touch lighter than the original.

sakerfalcon
sakerfalcon
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 05
Blank Slate
Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread Mar. 5th, 2008 @ 06:28 AM Reply

The end in sight, but still a long way to go....maybe 10 or so hours left with touch-ups. I'm really working in to get definition as well as texture in the background (hopefully). Started on the right, and finally found the groove when I reached the left wall. :D

Full size (Large - 2400 x 3000 @ 1.4mb:

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/181/r enaaroyale01w22qo6.jpg

Occluded
Occluded
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Artist
Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread Mar. 5th, 2008 @ 06:33 AM Reply

At 3/4/08 12:25 AM, THINKBOX wrote: ok everyone been working super hard on this i think im within the last few hours of work...what ya guys think so far anything u would like to see or change?

While it is completely counterintuitive to help the competition... Is the foreground (the girl and the gun) on a layer seperate from the background (the big boom and the ground)? If it is... Try lightening the background as much as possible. To the point where the lack of detail (sorry, but it is a little textureless) goes unnoticed. The most contrast in the background should be in the mushroom cloud. As light as possible. Nigh white. And the girl. Make her as shadowy as you can. Black with hints of flesh. Glowing around the 'bikini'. Use the blur tool or a soft brush. Zoom blur could help the background. Don't let them take over the piece, but used judiciously they might do a lot for it.

Take the above with a grain of salt... 'huge huge grains of salt on the margarita. I could put strychnine in the guacamole.'

Occluded
Occluded
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 37
Artist
Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread Mar. 5th, 2008 @ 06:35 AM Reply

At 3/5/08 06:28 AM, sakerfalcon wrote: The end in sight, but still a long way to go....maybe 10 or so hours left with touch-ups. I'm really working in to get definition as well as texture in the background (hopefully). Started on the right, and finally found the groove when I reached the left wall. :D

Lookin' damn good man.

darthnebula
darthnebula
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 40
Artist
Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread Mar. 5th, 2008 @ 08:43 AM Reply

What do you guys think of my Tank Girl pic ? more camel toe ? less camel toe ?

Hey all check out MYSPACE

BBS Signature
Sarai
Sarai
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 24
Movie Buff
Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread Mar. 5th, 2008 @ 10:35 AM Reply

At 3/5/08 06:28 AM, sakerfalcon wrote: The end in sight, but still a long way to go....

Best background ever :) Do you mind if I use it this way? *_*

The Newgrounds O-Ren-Ishii but with a nicer smile and still alive

Got Rice?

BBS Signature
someONEgood
someONEgood
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread Mar. 5th, 2008 @ 11:11 AM Reply

NEW CHALLENGER APPEARS!

So after countless hours day after day I've decided to take a break and rest my eyes. As much as I wanted it to be a surprise, my "art eye" is starting to decieve me. So I'm taking a day off, tossing it to the wolves to get some crits, and then I'll come back to it (it helps as you notice stuff you didn't before). As you can tell, I'm use to only drawing nekkid pin-up style airbrushed chicks... with little to no accesories.

Don't worry about how crappy the weapons look right now, that's just to get the basic shape, I'll start adding details when I return.

Overall, how's the composition, lighting, etc?

I've had a lot of fun so far, as I've had to teach myself different tecniques. I.E the methods for metal and rigid objects are much different than say the flesh and hair.

Also I haven't decided if the black winged person should be a boy or girl. Iniitally it was a girl lusting after the more buxom chick, but now I think I might make it a younger boy, the two of them in a sort of "Forbidden Love" scenario.

Please forgive the crappy resolution. Instead of goin' high res and shrinking I just stuck with the designated size as shrinking sometimes causes irregularities in my pinups.

Oh, FF: 23 layers (currently), 25+ hours (a lot of that was experimenting), PS CS2, Intous 2, Spicy Chicken Sandwich + Frosties

Enough rambling, onto the art! :

MindChamber
MindChamber
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Filmmaker
Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread Mar. 5th, 2008 @ 01:38 PM Reply

At 3/3/08 07:24 PM, ApothicFlash wrote: Deadline's getting closer.....
Any comments?

ya why post it if you didnt finish?

MindChamber
MindChamber
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 22
Filmmaker
Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread Mar. 5th, 2008 @ 01:41 PM Reply

At 2/29/08 08:27 PM, DANNYESLOCO wrote: hey i made this one also but it looks very awkward,
she looks bored or dazed, and shes got one foot on some platform thing with some kind of staff(?)
anyways I came up with this by just making a doodle on photoshop so everything was retty much made up. She is in some place with dim lighting and a painting behind her. I just thought of putting in a zombie or some creature but not sure how the hell... it makes sense.

thanks
dann

kinda a shame you flaked out towards the end there with this submission, the zombies and background look totally lazy.. but your first entry more than makes up for it nice work.

SWiTCH
SWiTCH
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 03
Blank Slate
Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread Mar. 5th, 2008 @ 03:12 PM Reply

@ jackAtack

I find it amusing that you censored her nipples with her own guts.
Because nipples are so vulgar, haha.

A lot of really nice stuff coming in toward the end!

funguy-dot-ca
funguy-dot-ca
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 23
Blank Slate
Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread Mar. 5th, 2008 @ 07:20 PM Reply

there have been some really slick pieces so far. and i'm sure the deadline will yield some more surprise ones. i like the booby-eyed monster one personally, but then again i like booby-eyed anything.

so how is the judging being done.... do i only have to bribe Pox?

salemburns
salemburns
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 04
Blank Slate
Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread Mar. 6th, 2008 @ 02:16 AM Reply

Soooo I know very little about Photoshop and I never enter contests but... What the fuck, right? What do I have to lose, except days of my life, my dignity and my ego...?

So I've never in my life done photo-realistic anything, AND I didn't discover this post til like... midnight of the 3rd. So I've had 7 days to do this fackin thing. But the progress so far has actually impressed meh.

Kudos to Damian Rowe for making the best fucking Photoshop tutorial I've ever read. Go Read It. I think I might blog my progress, with snapshots and shit... HMMM... It's been amusing so far, though....... I hope I can make the deadline!!!!!!

*Now with corn

BBS Signature
Dasneviano
Dasneviano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread Mar. 6th, 2008 @ 08:50 AM Reply

At 3/5/08 08:43 AM, darthnebula wrote: What do you guys think of my Tank Girl pic ? more camel toe ? less camel toe ?

It's really nice. Only things I'd change would maybe be the Heavy Metal logo (make it bigger like in the real magazines, rather than squeezed in a corner) and her belly muscles - it kinda looks like she ate an egg tray or something. Other than that it's really good, I can't believe it took so long for a Tankgirl to appear!

BBS Signature
matiou1
matiou1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread Mar. 6th, 2008 @ 11:26 AM Reply

Cafeine is addictive, I don'T have yellowish fingertip.I feel like I made her head a tad bit big, it feels like she has no neck but I can't do much cuz it's too late or maybe in the end i will do something about it but apart of that fine fellows, is there anything YOU don'T like about her? it is time to wave yur fists, curse, complain and moan crude insanities.I won't be posting the rest of the work I will work till the last itsy bitsy tiny cluster of time at hand.I don't sleep at night nor do I smoke cigaret.

I REZZZ?!!!- http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/6807/
yepbigum4.jpg

matiou1
matiou1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread Mar. 6th, 2008 @ 11:36 AM Reply

Really sowy for the double post but I wanted to ask you people wut do i do wrong, why is my line all shaky n' stuff? does it only rely on me or is there sometin' I could do with my brush or file to fix that?My very fate depends on your upcoming kind and clever replies.thx

TransforWhores
TransforWhores
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread Mar. 6th, 2008 @ 12:06 PM Reply

At 3/5/08 11:11 AM, someONEgood wrote: NEW CHALLENGER APPEARS!

The girl in the back, look like Cloud in Final Fantasy with his big sword :s

I'm an Art Whore...People pay me to draw...

Dasneviano
Dasneviano
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Blank Slate
Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread Mar. 6th, 2008 @ 12:33 PM Reply

At 3/6/08 11:26 AM, matiou1 wrote: Cafeine is addictive, I don'T have yellowish fingertip.

It's really good. I can't think of anything I don't like, except maybe for her color. I think she's a bit too orange. But that's not something to worry about. Just make sure the background fits her nicely!

BBS Signature
someONEgood
someONEgood
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread Mar. 6th, 2008 @ 01:07 PM Reply

At 3/6/08 12:06 PM, TransforWhores wrote:
At 3/5/08 11:11 AM, someONEgood wrote: NEW CHALLENGER APPEARS!
The girl in the back, look like Cloud in Final Fantasy with his big sword :s

Well then it should go good with Saberfalcons Tifa look alike XD

Any suggestions on what to change? Hair, smaller sword? etc, etc?

Tiredguy
Tiredguy
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 11
Blank Slate
Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread Mar. 6th, 2008 @ 04:30 PM Reply

At 3/6/08 11:36 AM, matiou1 wrote: Really sowy for the double post but I wanted to ask you people wut do i do wrong, why is my line all shaky n' stuff? does it only rely on me or is there sometin' I could do with my brush or file to fix that?My very fate depends on your upcoming kind and clever replies.thx

Well, one thing that you can do to get smoother lines is to first make an outline in a vector-based image editor like the open-source inkscape, or the expensive adobe illustrator, and then fill it in. Also, the smudge tool in photoshop helps if you need some smoothing out of areas of color in your picture (check the "use all layers" box if you're smudging the edge of a pic unless it's you're just smudging black), and never underestimate a simple Gaussian Blur to smooth things out.

As for what I don't personally enjoy about your pic, and this is just personally, is the shape of her face. I don't know, maybe it's her marionette-like eyes, or her well-defined chin. Just something to consider improving if you feel it's worthwhile, but like I said, that's just my opinion, and it's really a great job on foreshortening. Also, it's quite a sassy pose, but I'm not sure how well it would do against the more sexually agressive pics.

So yeah, just a little feedback for ya.

KupaMan
KupaMan
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 43
Artist
Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread Mar. 8th, 2008 @ 03:55 PM Reply

I think DANNYESLOCO just got MindChamber's "fat, doughy ass" vote. The thigh looks enormous, though.

I suck.

matiou1
matiou1
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 02
Blank Slate
Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread Mar. 8th, 2008 @ 08:19 PM Reply

OK I had to ask because I don't want to shoot myself in the foot, can any delay occur when you post sumtin' ?Cause I don't work tommorow and I want to use this opportunity to polish me entry as much as possible.

SmilingIdiot
SmilingIdiot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread Mar. 8th, 2008 @ 11:39 PM Reply

almost a month later and i found some time to make a concept....i had 4 drawn out on paper.....and my scanner breaks down.....so i put my broken pen and tablet to the test and came up with this WIP

now the painfull parts.....coloring and background.....meaning i have to learn to speed paint or line out everything and be very carfull with coloring...lol my wrist already is in enough pain

BizarroJoe
BizarroJoe
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 33
Melancholy
Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread Mar. 9th, 2008 @ 09:17 AM Reply

At 3/8/08 07:46 AM, ZekeySpaceyLizard wrote: ugh.

just ugh.

i tried. i really did.

At least you tried to do somthing that resembles realistic. I practically chickened out...
Let´s go to a bar and rant about our petty miseries. I´ll buy the first round.

At 3/8/08 11:48 AM, jagondudo wrote: ok finale

Love it. Happy to see you entered. You blend colors amazingly and the lineart is ultra-stylish. Great pic.

Ani-x
Ani-x
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 27
Animator
Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread Mar. 9th, 2008 @ 01:35 PM Reply

Shit!
so much to do, so little time

Drawing without thinking is just doodling, the brain and pen is connected.
PSN: SeoulSnake

BBS Signature
SmilingIdiot
SmilingIdiot
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 13
Blank Slate
Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread Mar. 9th, 2008 @ 04:49 PM Reply

and here is some color.....now the hard parts

TransforWhores
TransforWhores
  • Offline.
Forum Stats
Level 06
Blank Slate
Response to Heavy Metal discussion thread Mar. 9th, 2008 @ 05:38 PM Reply

Finally! I design my second Babe!

I'm an Art Whore...People pay me to draw...