00:00
00:00
Newgrounds Background Image Theme

TwistSSD just joined the crew!

We need you on the team, too.

Support Newgrounds and get tons of perks for just $2.99!

Create a Free Account and then..

Become a Supporter!

Voters Needed!

20,173 Views | 214 Replies
Respond to this Topic

Response to Voters Needed! 2003-09-06 01:41:39

At 9/6/03 01:20 AM, Jimong5 wrote: If you two have read this thread (a general good thing to do) You would find wade has clarified. No, these submissions cannot be be blammed, and no, you will not get points for this. The only point of this is to prevent glitches from occouring as flash movies with under 200 votes suddenly pop back under judgement deep in the bowels of the portal.

I know this, dipshit. I'm saying that I'm against the 200 vote threshold altogether, any movie submited after this new system is implemented will have about a 2% chance at survival.

BBS Signature

Response to Voters Needed! 2003-09-06 02:20:52

I think it will give me a better chance to get blam/save pionts.

Yes I think suicide is funny and I am sick of pretending its not.

eX(Wi/Ht? #45)

BBS Signature

Response to Voters Needed! 2003-09-06 07:43:27

At 9/5/03 11:26 AM, pac2k4 wrote:

maybe make it so that voters can receive experience for 10 movies a day instead of just 5,

yeah thats what i said stupid read the former posts before u reply

Response to Voters Needed! 2003-09-06 08:43:12

At 9/6/03 01:11 AM, DingleberryClock wrote: The system is fine the way it is, it doesn't need any pin-headed attempts at improving it. If you want to improve the system, LOWER the score at which an entry is protected at 100 votes to 1.50.

sure is and i hope they'll find that out befor it's too late

Response to Voters Needed! 2003-09-06 09:23:15

At 9/6/03 08:50 AM, Pwn3r wrote:
At 9/6/03 12:27 AM, DingleberryClock wrote: How so many people are behind this is beyond me. This is the worst idea since "Newdgrounds," or making Wade part of the staff.
hey man it gets you protects and blams so why complain?

because dingle is an idiot. dingle doesn'tcare about blams orprotects, dingle squirts out crap flash and lots of it. go watchsome of her flash sometime. i read a replyshe wrote to a reviewof one of her flash a whileago. in it she claimedto be "the most blammed artist" here. if you watch her flashyou'll agree that she's not blammedenough by far. most of hercrap has a score WAY over3 and a lot of it ifshe submitted it today would never make it on. she's just worried that with this newsystem in place NOTHING of hers will ever makeit on NG again. based on her past work i REALLY hope that fearis well founded.

Response to Voters Needed! 2003-09-06 09:32:03

At 9/6/03 01:11 AM, DingleberryClock wrote:

All this is going to do is allow haurds of pre-teen "BAMLERDS" more time to lower decent movies' scores.

lots of stuff, yoursin particular, is HIGHLY overrated

:The number of new Portal entries will decline by 30%-40%, minimum. I garuntee it. And not just "crappy" movies. Worth-while, decent movies.

until things gets to 200 votesnew GOOD stuff is going to slowdown a lot. the crap comes the sameway it always does, in aflood

:Anything truly deserving of being blammed already gets blammed, and most movies that don't deserve it. The system is fine the way it is, it doesn't need any pin-headed attempts at improving it. If you want to improve the system, LOWER the score at which an entry is protected at 100 votes to 1.50.

lots of stuff that shouldbe blammed ISN'T. crap makes it in all the time. lowering to 1.50 was already suggested and ignored. do you think theway you are going about it is going to getbetter results?

Response to Voters Needed! 2003-09-06 09:45:55

man, i don't like the new system, because, my animation just got a few views. All I want to know now is it temporaray (the new voting system), please let me know

BBS Signature

Response to Voters Needed! 2003-09-06 09:51:11

At 9/4/03 09:58 PM, shazzam wrote:
At 9/4/03 09:55 PM, Elfer wrote: Do we get blam/protect points or not?
read plz

Wade said:
you can rack up experience points and get bonuses to your vote power!

That only says really that we get experience points. I mean blam/protection points, fewel.

Dead.

Response to Voters Needed! 2003-09-06 10:53:19

At 9/6/03 09:23 AM, Syme wrote: because dingle is an idiot. dingle doesn'tcare about blams orprotects

your a idiot of you don't get why some people don't care about blam and protection points what don't give you any reall power

Response to Voters Needed! 2003-09-06 11:13:28

At 9/6/03 01:41 AM, DingleberryClock wrote: I know this, dipshit. I'm saying that I'm against the 200 vote threshold altogether, any movie submited after this new system is implemented will have about a 2% chance at survival.

Or, it could get more votes. How will doubling the sample magically change the way people vote? If anything, it will give viewers more time to watch each movie and judge it more fairly. Who says this wont further inflate scores? How is making people try harder a bad thing anyway? It will only serve to benefit NG in the end.

Response to Voters Needed! 2003-09-06 11:20:44

At 9/6/03 10:53 AM, _lightning_ wrote:
At 9/6/03 09:23 AM, Syme wrote: because dingle is an idiot. dingle doesn'tcare about blams orprotects
your a idiot of you don't get why some people don't care about blam and protection points what don't give you any reall power

Psst... it might be better to let Syme and Dingleberry go at it without any interference.

In any event, I do have to wonder, though, why someone who doesn't care about blams and protects (and thus, one can assume, doesn't care that much about Voting Power), has nearly 10,000 exp and is on the top 50 exp list. :::shrugging:::

Oh, and the whole thing that started that... argument... was Dingle thinking Jimong thought she was an idiot or something. I believe Jimong was referring to the guy who seemed to think that blams and protects could be gained from all the movies under 200 votes now that have already been protected...

gfox // wi/ht?#9 // defunct PentaList (final update: 3/15/2008) // Cyberdevil's HexaList!

a long, long time ago: 60000 b/p (#2) // 36000 blams (#3) // 24000 saves (#1)

BBS Signature

Response to Voters Needed! 2003-09-06 11:24:18

I think there shouldn't be 200 votes to survive. The best idea is to upgrade the SCORE. I think 2.oo/5.oo would be okay. Not 1.61/5.00 cause theres sumtime much crap on the portal that didnt gets deleted

Voters Needed!

Response to Voters Needed! 2003-09-06 12:00:08

At 9/6/03 11:20 AM, gfoxcook wrote: Oh, and the whole thing that started that... argument... was Dingle thinking Jimong thought she was an idiot or something. I believe Jimong was referring to the guy who seemed to think that blams and protects could be gained from all the movies under 200 votes now that have already been protected...

I pretty much was trying to say their argument was silly, because they were arguing over something wade had already answered in this thread.

Response to Voters Needed! 2003-09-06 13:09:58

At 9/6/03 11:24 AM, TheAce144 wrote: I think there shouldn't be 200 votes to survive. The best idea is to upgrade the SCORE. I think 2.oo/5.oo would be okay. Not 1.61/5.00 cause theres sumtime much crap on the portal that didnt gets deleted

There are many more than 200 people who watch movies
on newgrounds, so i don't think it's unreasonable to
raise the threshold so as to give more people an
opportunity to vote on any given movie. That way,
movies that stay are more likely to better reflect
the tastes of newgrounds users as a group.

It would be nice if only movies that scored 2 or
higher stay on the site, but as has been pointed out
previously, some people blam for reasons that have
little to do with the quality of the movie per se.
Seems to me that raising the threshold number of votes
without changing the score threshold is a reasonable
compromise.

BTW- i don't see any old movies in the portal today.
Does that mean this campaign to raise the # of votes
on old movies has been postponed?

"They are an inquisitive race, always anxious to pry into other mens' lives, but never ready to correct their own." -Augustine of Hippo

BBS Signature

Response to Voters Needed! 2003-09-06 13:24:00

At 9/6/03 01:11 AM, DingleberryClock wrote: Anything truly deserving of being blammed already gets blammed, and most movies that don't deserve it.

:... If you want to improve the system, LOWER the score at which an entry is protected at 100 votes to 1.50.

I beg to differ. As I went through the backlog of 100>200 flashes now in the portal, I ran across several entries with titles like "Please delete", "deleted", "free blam", and "blam this please" which had scores (incredibly enough) of 2.7 and higher. Although I am sure the ocassional decent submission gets blammed for unjustified reasons by immature or downright mean people, it's rare; but a LOT of very poor flash survives. If anything Wade's new system will level the playing field and give decent movies a better chance of passing judgement by diluting the voting power of any one voter (a GOOD THING.)

As for LOWERING the threshold, that is (in my opinion) a very bad idea. Hell, I'm in favor of RAISING it to 2.0. As it is, entirely too much garbage is submitted by talentless goofballs who put no effort or time into their entry, and clearly don't care. Why should Newgrounds be the repository for such crap? Having your work on this site should be something that is EARNED by producing a decent work (as determined by the audience, not the artist) and NOT an entitlement for every attention-starved hack with a pre-pubescent sense of humor and flashkit 1.5.

Just my thoughts :o)

-Atri

Response to Voters Needed! 2003-09-06 13:27:05

At 9/6/03 11:24 AM, TheAce144 wrote: I think there shouldn't be 200 votes to survive. The best idea is to upgrade the SCORE. I think 2.oo/5.oo would be okay. Not 1.61/5.00 cause theres sumtime much crap on the portal that didnt gets deleted

I'll be the last to disagree with you about the volume of trash here. Personally, I'd like to see things like the "fun stuff" series go the way of the buffalo ... gunned down in mass herds, but what makes this site run is the artists, even the one's who produce garbage. There's only going to be a few people really good at it, a lot who are decent, and a bunch of aspiring folks who suck now but may get better, just like anything else in life.

1.60 or 1.61 is fine as the mark point for protection. For those people in the last group, getting something on the portal is usually what gets them motivated to make more (and PLEASE let it be better lol) flash the next time around. Raising the bar to 2.00 may be more of an intuitive score than 1.61, but what would happen in schools where passing was raised from 65 to 85?

Response to Voters Needed! 2003-09-06 14:01:45

i would love to join, but how?

Response to Voters Needed! 2003-09-06 14:08:42

At 9/6/03 02:01 PM, urbanmyth wrote: i would love to join, but how?

just find some movies under 200 vote's here and start voting on them untill there all above 200 vote's =)

Response to Voters Needed! 2003-09-06 14:23:46

At 9/6/03 11:20 AM, gfoxcook wrote: I do have to wonder, though, why someone who doesn't care about blams and protects (and thus, one can assume, doesn't care that much about Voting Power), has nearly 10,000 exp and is on the top 50 exp list.

dingle was here before ranks were a part of NG
and although there were blam points(but no protection points), they didnt add to your VP

BBS Signature

Response to Voters Needed! 2003-09-06 15:09:05

At 9/6/03 01:27 PM, D0GMA wrote:

:Raising the bar to 2.00 may be more of an intuitive score than 1.61, but what would happen in schools where passing was raised from 65 to 85?

OH, I don't know; the students might have to WORK harder in order to pass? :o)

But I see your point, and you make a good case for it. I guess New grounds has always "graded on a curve." Maybe be my standards are a little too demanding. You've given me pause for thought, and made me reconsider my tendancy to blam any entry that doesn't stand up against the like's of Ganondorf or Kissing a Fool. I see now, that isn't really fair to aspiring Flash artists who need the ego boost and feedback that having their work on Newgrounds gives them.

Thanks for reminding me of the meaning (and importance)of the term "amateur."

Sincerely,
Atri

Response to Voters Needed! 2003-09-06 15:50:23

At 9/6/03 03:09 PM, atricaudatus wrote:
At 9/6/03 01:27 PM, D0GMA wrote:
OH, I don't know; the students might have to WORK harder in order to pass? :o)

Likely you're right ;)

But I see your point, and you make a good case for it. I guess New grounds has always "graded on a curve." Maybe be my standards are a little too demanding. You've given me pause for thought, and made me reconsider my tendancy to blam any entry that doesn't stand up against the like's of Ganondorf or Kissing a Fool. I see now, that isn't really fair to aspiring Flash artists who need the ego boost and feedback that having their work on Newgrounds gives them.

Don't get me wrong, crap is crap and I'll throw a 0 at it without a second thought. If even they think it's garbage, why should I vote to protect it? Why on earth would I want to boost their ego over it?

Borderline stuff, I'll tend to lean towards a blam, but give them some encouragement in a quick review. Most of my reviews are in the graveyard.

The ones who show real promise, despite this entry not being up to snuff, are the ones I'll make extra time for. If I can't finish the review before it gets blammed, I'll copy it out to an e-mail for them. One guy didn't have an e-mail listed so I had to post it on the BBS at his site, which I had to get from the flash in my Temp files lol

~shrug~ Do what you think is right for a particular flash you see under judgement. I, personally, would rather make a point on a flash than get one.

Response to Voters Needed! 2003-09-06 16:03:00

OK listen up! Newgrounds is a sever of great flash movies. Keyword great! If it aint good it dosen't deserve to be on newgrounds. This new system is not to save entries. Its to stop the pointless crap that nobody with any sense of logic/humor likes but somehow is perminatly on the server from being protected. Newgrounds gets about 30-50 protected entries a day. Mutiply that by how long newgrounds has been here. It doesn't quite fit on the sever very well.

The main thing is.
bad entries = waste precious space
and
sever upgrades = cost a friggin lot

ever wonder why i haven't submitted a movie yet?

Response to Voters Needed! 2003-09-06 16:14:17

At 9/6/03 04:03 PM, Ultimate_Doom wrote: OK listen up! Newgrounds is a sever of great flash movies. Keyword great! If it aint good it dosen't deserve to be on newgrounds. This new system is not to save entries. Its to stop the pointless crap that nobody with any sense of logic/humor likes but somehow is perminatly on the server from being protected. Newgrounds gets about 30-50 protected entries a day. Mutiply that by how long newgrounds has been here. It doesn't quite fit on the sever very well.

The main thing is.
bad entries = waste precious space
and
sever upgrades = cost a friggin lot

ever wonder why i haven't submitted a movie yet?

Because your flashes sucks?
It is spelled s-e-r-v-e-r
the server capasity yak-yak you are talking about is just bullshit. It is the NG database that saves all the entries. But the bandwith is the one that strains much. And the greatest strain comes from the top 50. Wanna remove those? Crap entries suriving dosn't mean a shit. They'r a drop in the ocean. If you don't know what bandwiht is, go here:

http://www.newgrounds.com/bbs/topic.php?id=83239

then read ALL liljims posts in that topic. Then I expect a worthy reply to my slightly angry post.

Response to Voters Needed! 2003-09-06 16:22:22

At 9/6/03 04:19 PM, Tool_Of_The_System wrote: Or you could sort some list that gives the 20 submissions with least votes or something and add some sort of deal to it...

????
http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/templist.php?page=1

something like that? Well, yes, that could have been made.

Response to Voters Needed! 2003-09-06 16:50:37

Wade, all you have to do is to delete all the movies with less than 200 votes because if nobody is voting on them, thats because nobody is watching them. And if nobody is watching them, then:

A. Nobody likes them
B. Nobody knows they exist

If nobody likes them or nobody knows it exists, then no one watches it so it's just a waste of already full server space. Just delete them ALL and you have all this extra free space and you won't have to upgrade the servers for a while!!!!

Response to Voters Needed! 2003-09-06 17:02:10

At 9/6/03 04:50 PM, WrathofDarkness wrote: Wade, all you have to do is to delete all the movies with less than 200 votes because if nobody is voting on them, thats because nobody is watching them. And if nobody is watching them, then:

A. Nobody likes them

If nobody likes them or nobody knows it exists, then no one watches it so it's just a waste of already full server space. Just delete them ALL and you have all this extra free space and you won't have to upgrade the servers for a while!!!!

If everybody thought like you, we would not have a newgrounds.com. And why the hell does NO frigging people know the differce between bandwith, database and server. ARGHH! I refer to the topic I posted as teh first post on this page.

There is many gems without 200 votes. Let's say you make a nice game, but dosn't get into any colection or top 5 or get an award, neither 200 votes, is that a qualification to be delted? I think not.
A lot is crap, yes, but they made judgement once, so they are here to stay. The edn.

Response to Voters Needed! 2003-09-06 17:09:08

At 9/6/03 04:50 PM, WrathofDarkness wrote: If nobody likes them or nobody knows it exists, then no one watches it so it's just a waste of already full server space. Just delete them ALL and you have all this extra free space and you won't have to upgrade the servers for a while!!!!

Harddrive space is dirt cheap. Its bandwith thats most of the cost... I would doubt that all of NG's Movies take up excessive amouts of space.
121256 Is the newest ID at the time of this post. NG has a 5 MB limit on all movies. SO. 121256 entries*5MB/entry=606280 MB, /1024 MB/GB is a paltry 592 GB of flash movies, that being THE MOST that can possibly be on the server. Judging for error, this can be considered to have 3 times less then this size, so theres only 175 gigs of flash, including Blammed entries. They don't hurt NG at all by being there, they only help the self esteem of the author because they made a film that the NG crowd deemed not to suck. I see you have no movies, so you wouldn't know how this is. Now, NG has no shortage of hard drive space, all their costs come from sending movies like Arfenhouse teh movie too and return of gannondorf out hundreds of thousands of times.

Response to Voters Needed! 2003-09-06 18:10:34

At 9/6/03 05:02 PM, -_-PZY-_- wrote: If everybody thought like you, we would not have a newgrounds.com.
There is many gems without 200 votes. Let's say you make a nice game, but dosn't get into any colection or top 5 or get an award, neither 200 votes, is that a qualification to be delted? I think not.
A lot is crap, yes, but they made judgement once, so they are here to stay. The edn.

I'm so sorry for being on newgrounds for only a month so far and that i don't totally know everything about the difference between bandwidth and server. god dammit, i'm sorry for ever setting that post i didn't think a a bitch like you would diss me off just becasue I don't know and you do.
Oh yeah, and before you go telling Ultimate_Doom how to spell server, you should look at your own post because it's "D-E-L-E-T-E-D" not delted. And you also spelled the word "end" wrong, its "E-N-D" not edn. And while I'm at it, its "D-O-E-S-N-'-T" not dosn't. And there are many grammar mistakes in your post but since you're so smart you should find them on your own. You are worse than Ultimate_Doom so don't tell people they can't spell because you're worse.

Response to Voters Needed! 2003-09-06 18:15:28

Sounds good especialy cause I just got blammed :D I expected to though it was a short preview. I try to always vote on submission and I don't like going into the old flashes I just stay in the portal.

BBS Signature

Response to Voters Needed! 2003-09-06 18:23:50

At 9/6/03 04:50 PM, WrathofDarkness wrote: Wade, all you have to do is to delete all the movies with less than 200 votes because if nobody is voting on them, thats because nobody is watching them. And if nobody is watching them, then:

A. Nobody likes them

That's not true. The Portal is littered with little classics that people may come across from time to time when using the random entry link. Most of the entries on the site probably get aired about once a day at least (even the ones that most people don't know about). The people viewing these movies just might not vote upon them.

This is a little classic I found. It's short and sweet, but it got a laugh from me and that's what the site's about - entertainment. Until today, it had less than 200 votes, but has a score (currently) of 3.09/5.00.

Server space isn't a problem. It's bandwidth that we get through no end of and that's caused by the big movies that thousands of people watch a day, not the movies that disappear into the depths of the Portal. At the end of the day, both can always be upgraded.